• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Mindlog

Memphis Reigns said:
question about the end of the game, i think...

ok so i got kicked off the Citadel before going to llos...can I ever get back on?

no, if you were able to you would be arrested and your ship impounded.

Mindlog said:
no, if you were able to you would be arrested and your ship impounded.

:lol

Holy fucking shit! Better hope they don't carry that shit over to ME II!!

"You busted up that Geth compound pretty good, Shepard, but did you have to break that much furniture?"
"You tell me. You had a pretty good view from The Citadel."

Just beat it, seemed too short compared to KotoR. I wish there was more of an epilogue with my crew members, I miss them =(

Did anyone else notice how much the game has changed from when it was first being shown? There's nothing special about interrupting dialogue early, which was highlighted as a major feature of the dialogue system and instead serves only to skip. It seems they also did away with the tactical movement of your party.

Bioware really does need to let some other team do a combat system. They can craft engrossing worlds and characters, but combat seems to baffle them. The Mako missions also bored me to no end, hated that damn thing.

I prefered Kotor's dialogue system as well since there were choices that tied into your character's abilities such as repair and awareness. Bluffing your way out of trouble was alot more rewarding with the ol' persude ability than a flat, blue or red option.

Oh well, here's to ME 2...

Anyone else find Tali strangely attractive? Or at least I did before I noticed she had three fingers and Ninja Turtle toes. But man, those child bearing hips and that Slavic accent...

Phthisis

revolverjgw said:
Anyone else find Tali strangely attractive? Or at least I did before I noticed she had three fingers and Ninja Turtle toes. But man, those child bearing hips and that Slavic accent...

Get her out of that suit and it would probably be the last time you'd ever be able to have sex with her. Like screwing a ferret.

Ephemeris

revolverjgw said:
:lol
Phthisis said:
Get her out of that suit and it would probably be the last time you'd ever be able to have sex with her.
Solution.
<--- + Tali + Decontamination Chamber = Pure Space Love. Turtle Toes and All.

Phthisis said:
Like screwing a ferret.

. . .
ferret.jpg

Just got to the part where
you're about to assault Seran's base at Vermile. I used my Charm to save Wrex. Actually the first time, Ashley shot him without my permission. I was so pissed. Had to load my save because I didn't want to lose him. About 11 hours in. Liking it so far.

Ephemeris

ToyMachine228 said:
Just got to the part where
you're about to assault Seran's base at Vermile. I used my Charm to save Wrex. Actually the first time, Ashley shot him without my permission. I was so pissed. Had to load my save because I didn't want to lose him. About 11 hours in. Liking it so far.

One of the best missions in the game IMO.

Quagm1r3

armubaba said:
I asked this earlier, but it was forgotten under the mass of urk posts.

Which two squadmates are you guys using?

On this playthrough I got Kaiden and Liara. I'm a soldier so it's nice to have 2 classes based completely on non-combat abilities. Besides, double throw FTW!

armubaba said:

I went through my first time as an adept with Tali and Garrus. It worked pretty well, although it was tough in the beginning until I got decent armor. In the end it worked out as a godly team though.

Well I finished the game earlier this week and was absolutely blown away by the crescendo of events that happen towards the end.
The single shot through the elevator, and then Shepard just stepping out like, 'Yeah I rock. I know.'
Anyways, I am starting up my second play through to see the game from the renegade side and also to see how things go as the male shepard. So far, the voice actor completely blows compaired to the female one, but I've been surprised by the amount of changes made in actions and such by switching to Renegade. Granted, a lot of it all ends up in the same place but its a nice effect.

I also noticed that if I wanted to I could leave Wrex entirely out of my party and actually turn down a lot of side quests by being such a xenophobic dick. Was curious how this would play out then in some of the later missions, and with some of the side quests too. I imagine you could skip getting Liara, and I think I could have also passed on Garrus if I had pushed the issue.

Also, since I am working on my second play through and using new characters... how do I unlock the Ally achievements? I got the one for Tali on my first play through but never for Wrex, despite going back and doing several more side quests with him in tow. I've read that it is tied to the completeionist achievement, but since you only get that once how do you unlock it for the other characters. Is there anyway I can still go back with Wrex and do a few more missions to unlock his achievement?

armubaba said:

First play through(soldier) I used everyone except Kaiden, that kinda burned me I guess cause I didn't get any ally achievements. new game+ I'm using Ash and Garrus. They're both using Sniper rifles with the +dmg and 500% force/heating mods, so basically I have 2 rocket launchers as back up.

gcfan2k5

Mr. Bunnies said:
First play through(soldier) I used everyone except Kaiden, that kinda burned me I guess cause I didn't get any ally achievements. new game+ I'm using Ash and Garrus. They're both using Sniper rifles with the +dmg and 500% force/heating mods, so basically I have 2 rocket launchers as back up.

I shouldnt have to repeat this yet again, but put one of those bad boys in a shotgun, you can destroy any close range combatant before he can even get a shot off.

Ephemeris

Red Mercury said:
I've read that it is tied to the completeionist achievement, but since you only get that once how do you unlock it for the other characters. Is there anyway I can still go back with Wrex and do a few more missions to unlock his achievement?

Used Ash & Tali first time through. Currently in my 2nd and I have Wrex+Garrus.

Funny thing. Been using those two since the beginning, i just got the Turian Ally achievement during a sidequest (I've only done Feros and Noveria so far XD. Geez, have I been doing that many sidequests?) . I suppose the reason I don't have the Krogan one is because the character needs to complete
Vermire
?

To answer your question, it's tied to the completionist achievement in regards to the fact that to get the Completionist award, you have to complete the majority of the game's missions.

So basically, how the Ally awards work, you have to complete the majority of the game's missions (don't ignore those sidequests!) with said character in tow.

Sorry if this has been asked, but it's a big thread out there.

I think I screwed up.
I got impounded at the Citadel at level 34, at which point I found out about about needing to get to level 36 to get to buy the good armor from the C-Spec Req Officer, etc. There weren't enough leftover quests at the Citadel to get me up to 36. So I went ahead and went to Ilos.

Am I screwed? Are there other places to get the equipment?

Man I didn't get an ally achievement even though I used Garrus and Tila from the moment I got them in my squad and got the completionist achievement.

:(

angelfly

BudokaiMR2 said:
Man I didn't get an ally achievement even though I used Garrus and Tila from the moment I got them in my squad and got the completionist achievement.

I'm guessing you'd have to finish every sidequest with them. I got the ally achievement for from Ashley my first time but not from Liara since I finished most of the Citadel quest before I left it for the first time.

armubaba

Wow, I never knew how popular Tali was.

But yeah, I'm entering Noveria next, and I've heard that it can be a giant bitch, any recommendations on what two squadmates I should bring along?

armubaba said:

But yeah, I'm entering Noveria next, and I've heard that it can be a giant bitch, any recommendations on what two squadmates I should bring along?

What level are you?

Phthisis

armubaba said:

Liara or Wrex for biotics. Your second person should be either Ashley (heavy firepower) or Garrus (firepower and tech abilities).

g23

European pre-madonna
Is there anyway to unequip the stupid assault rifle that i'm not even trained to use and will never be able to use it? It just looks dumb hauling that thing around...

I'm trying to roleplay here....

halp!

LukeSmith

urk said:
So, before steering the Mako into the drink (what the fuck? It's named after a shark!) I had cut down something like half a dozen Geth Armatures, something like two dozen troops (standard, sniper, rocket, whatever the maroon ones are called), and probably ten floating robot turret things.

It's really not a big deal though. With Marksman and my sweet gear and pistola skillz, I was taking down the Armatures on foot. From like a mile out. No shit. I am awesome.

Also do not bust a right on Waterworld as soon as you get an open view of the ocean. You will fail.

I did this exact same thing. No indication of "don't go over there" whatsoever. :(

arhra

BudokaiMR2 said:

Remember that there are significant chunks of the game that occur before you even get a chance to pick Garrus or Tali up, especially if you sidequested on the Citadel - for everyone bar Kaiden and Ashley, you're best off skipping all the Citadel sidequests until you're done with the initial story missions there and have picked up your other party members (this is doubly true if you want the Asari Ally achievement, as you have to do all of the Citadel and Therum before you get Liara in your party).

I'm working on Asari Ally and Quarian ally on my current play-through, and just got Quarian Ally near the end of Noveria (and i don't think i did any more sidequests with Tali than i did with Liara, so i should get Asari Ally once i hit up Virmire). Think i had ~40 sidequests completed at that point (although a couple of those were the collection quests, and i'm not sure if they count).

LukeSmith said:
I did this exact same thing. No indication of "don't go over there" whatsoever. :(
I think everyone does that. Consider it a kind of rite of passage. Although it's fairly obviously deep water, there's a boundary line or rocks, and it's clearly the edge of the area on your map screen. Not that any of that stopped me from doing it either...

Chrange

Banned
I don't know about people who say you can't be truly evil as a Renegade. Some of the choices towards the mid-to-late parts of the game really made me sick, thinking that 'my guy' did that.

Killing all the people in those cells in the facility. Killing the Asari that the Thorian had used. Killing the doctor in the facility. Killing Fist...well that wasn't so bad. Just so much 'you don't deserve to live' stuff, and people said Shepard can't be evil? Some of it isn't even rationalized that well.

AniHawk

Chrange said:
I don't know about people who say you can't be truly evil as a Renegade. Some of the choices towards the mid-to-late parts of the game really made me sick, thinking that 'my guy' did that.

Killing all the people in those cells in the facility. Killing the Asari that the Thorian had used. Killing the doctor in the facility. Killing Fist...well that wasn't so bad. Just so much 'you don't deserve to live' stuff, and people said Shepard can't be evil? Some of it isn't even rationalized that well.

Are you referring to the Salarians in the cells? Because setting them free/killing them gives you paragon points.

arhra

Chrange said:

People are comparing it to KotOR, though, which generally boiled down to a choice between being Mother Theresa or eating babies.

Pretty much all of what you talk about in your spoiler can be justified as being mercy killing, purely pragmatic/slightly paranoid, or simple justice in action.

And hell, for the Asari doctor on Virmire, the 'paragon' choice is essentially "i'm about to nuke the facility. Hope you can run fast!" :lol

Chrange said:

Eh, aside from keeping the Salarian locked away, none of that is particularly evil. And even then, locking up the dude is obviously justified as there's a fucking Salarian in the room across the hall that tries to kill you if you open his cage.

I think the most enjoyable asshole moments come from talking with Benezia. That and having Wrex in your party for the bit just after her.

AniHawk

Son of Godzilla said:
Eh, aside from keeping the Salarian locked away, none of that is particularly evil. And even then, locking up the dude is obviously justified as there's a fucking Salarian in the room across the hall that tries to kill you if you open his cage.

I think the most enjoyable asshole moments come from talking with Benezia. That and having Wrex in your party for the bit just after her.

I had Liara and Wrex for the parts with Benezia. Good times.

Ventrue

Son of Godzilla said:

Garrus and Wrex is pretty awesome if you take the evil path in that bit. Goes [paraphrased]:

Garrus: We can't just commit genocide! This is why we went to war with the krog - oh.
Wrex: You want to see genocide, turian? I'll take you to see a krogan obstetricians office.

AniHawk

Ventrue said:
Garrus and Wrex is pretty awesome if you take the evil path in that bit. Goes [paraphrased]:

Garrus: We can't just commit genocide! This is why we went to war with the krog - oh.
Wrex: You want to see genocide, turian? I'll take you to see a krogan obstetricians office.

Garrus + Wrex during a renegade run is pretty much a must.

Tieno

AniHawk said:
Garrus + Wrex during a renegade run is pretty much a must.
I had Tali and Wrex with me during the Noveria and Benezia part.
Wrex was making the argument that I should kill the creature because of the past wars, while Tali said it's not right to kill such a remarkable creature and an entire species with it. She already gave me a bit shit when I had to kill that Thorian, saying she was sad that such an old creature was gone even though it was evil. I stood there weighing the options, didn't want to disappoint Wrex because he's great, but Talia made a good argument too. In the end I went with Talia, the queen was fascinating in the way she talked to me and the queen didn't seem evil to me. Wrex was really pissed off. And then at the debriefing I got shit from the council too. It really felt like it carried weight

Uncle

Tieno said:
Wrex was making the argument that I should kill the creature because of the past wars, while Tali said it's not right to kill such a remarkable creature and an entire species with it. She already gave me a bit shit when I had to kill that Thorian, saying she was sad that such an old creature was gone even though it was evil. I stood there weighing the options, didn't want to disappoint Wrex because he's great, but Talia made a good argument too. In the end I went with Talia, the queen was fascinating in the way she talked to me and the queen didn't seem evil to me. Wrex was really pissed off. And then at the debriefing I got shit from the council too. It really felt like it carried weight

Are you confusing Tali with Liara? Because when I played that, Tali made a different argument. Something like
"That chamber will be flooded with acid strong enough to kill anything inside it. It's obvious that whoever was studying this really did not want it to get away."

Tieno

Uncle said:
Are you confusing Tali with Liara? Because when I played that, Tali made a different argument. Something like
"That chamber will be flooded with acid strong enough to kill anything inside it. It's obvious that whoever was studying this really did not want it to get away."
I haven't got Liari in my party yet, I've only done Feros and Noveria when it comes to the main quest. I'm fairly sure Tali made that argument (or was it Garrus?), but you're making me doubt...

Tieno said:
Tali impressd me somewhat given I was only dragging her ass through the game for decryption and hacking. For basically all of the quest choice things you get
she acts like a complete hypocrite given her stance on the Geth, and I'm pretty certain you or one of the other characters calls her on her Let The Poor Sentient Being Live bullshit eventually. Of course I don't think anything came from that, but I was impressed nonetheless.

Uncle- When you get choices that the characters will comment on I think the characters split between renegade/paragon or whichever/neutral if they are both mostly one. So doing something with a goody twoshoes like Liara in your party makes everyone else that would have gone Paragon just fuddle about.

AniHawk

At the end of the game during my renegade run,
I had no problem killing the council. While I was a paragon, they didn't seem all that bad and I felt like I had to do the right thing and save them. But when you're a renegade, man are they ever bitchy. Pretty great "oh shit" moment aboard the Ascension too. At the end I chose Anderson as the chairman of the new human council. Don't fuck with humanity.

arhra

Uncle said:
All the different characters seem to have some sort of rating along the paragon/renegade scale(s), and it generally tries to give you an argument from each perspective, so picks accordingly depending on their relative leanings, so depending on who you bring along, one character can argue one way in one game, then the other in the next. They reuse lines in a few cases, too, so as in this case, you can have Tali say something that Liara said previously.

So if you use Tali/Liara, Liara will take the paragon position and Tali the renegade, but if you use Wrex/Tali, Wrex takes the renegade and Tali the paragon.

Solo

dankir said:
I'm only about 4 hours in, but goddamn the music?!@?! So friggin awesome.

Best. Gaming. Score. Of. The. Year.

urk said:
I gotta think the music was inspired by Solaris. It's just got that same vibe, same instruments, same ethereal electro quality that fits the genre so well.

Im thinking Blade Runner, personally. There are quite a few Vangelis-esque pieces.

Ephemeris said:
One of the best missions in the game IMO.

One of? Hell no. THE? Yes. Virmire is easily most awesome part of the game. Ilos was a letdown after Virmire.

Gattsu25

Banned
Quagm1r3 said:
Very true, may be the only achievement system that actually enhances the game, rather than just make it tedious.
Insomniac games since Ratchet 1 have an 'achievements with tangible rewards' system

Naughty Dog games since Jak II, too IIRC

bendak

I got the 60th level achievement last night. I was about 20k xp short after I finished my second playthrough (!) so I started a new one and grinded that 20k quick :lol In total it took about 58 hours total playtime to go from 1-60. 59-60 is equal to about 1/4 the TOTAL XP from 1-60. :lol

Now I am starting a new one as a female adept (first was a male soldier). The game feels totally different with the female lead. I still have no desire to skip any dialog.

Top Bottom