• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

So I finally bought the game because it came down in price at Gamestop. Definitely pretty rad so far, but I can't tell if the game is hard or I just suck. I always seem to get mowed down in the little firefights, and I can never hit the target. Also why can't I zoom with a sniper rifle? I think I chose the sniper class

funkmastergeneral said:
So I finally bought the game because it came down in price at Gamestop. Definitely pretty rad so far, but I can't tell if the game is hard or I just suck. I always seem to get mowed down in the little firefights, and I can never hit the target. Also why can't I zoom with a sniper rifle? I think I chose the sniper class

The sniper rifle is useless garbage until you level it up. Then it becomes godly.

You won't be able to hit a damn thing until you put some points into that skill though.

gregor7777 said:
The sniper rifle is useless garbage until you level it up. Then it becomes godly.

You won't be able to hit a damn thing until you put some points into that skill though.

Yup I found that out, though with a few accuracy mods it becomes a bit better.

Also, I really wish that the game had more frequent quick-saves! I lost ~30-45 mins of progress when I
accidently drove the Mako off the road :lol
I doubt that has to be spoilered, but just want to make sure...

To anyone who hasn't bought this game...

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
predator1_4.jpg

Iced_Eagle said:
Also, I really wish that the game had more frequent quick-saves! I lost ~30-45 mins of progress when I
accidently drove the Mako off the road :lol
I doubt that has to be spoilered, but just want to make sure...

:lol I've done that too, thats one of the things that I had a little problem with on the 360, just wished it had a quick save like the PC does

funkmastergeneral said:

should have picked a biotic class and spam the shit out of the "lift" power. Try that out if you want an easier time

Gart

This game is pretty buggy. Elevator glitches, rendering thread exceptions crashes, general protection faults, pixelated self shadowing, had to use a work around to get sound to work correctly, and just general overall sloppiness is taking the enjoyment out of the game for me.

I hope they release a patch soon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Solideliquid said:
Does the PC version have the long load times/elevator?

Load times depend on your HDD, mine are around 3-8 seconds on average.

Elevator I heard is shortened but is still like 40 seconds. Was it really like 2 minutes? :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm sorry, but sniper + explosive rounds with two more rail extenions attached lays out Colossi like nothing else. I'd rather take one of those down with two shots from half a mile away then get up close, lift 'em, and take my sweet time with the shotgun.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Settings, specs and fps please. This is the first time in years i wish I had an Intel rig around.

watership

Hazaro said:
Load times depend on your HDD, mine are around 3-8 seconds on average.

Elevator I heard is shortened but is still like 40 seconds. Was it really like 2 minutes? :lol

I played the game 3 times in a row in 2007, and I swear I didn't remember 2 minute load times. Then I thought carefully again, and there is one elevator that is about 30-45 seconds. They tend to play news reports or have characters talk in those sequences.

godhandiscen said:
Settings, specs and fps please. This is the first time in years i wish I had an Intel rig around.

Settings: Maxed in game menu. 1680x1050

Specs: AMD 5600 X2 oc'd to 3ghz (not much of a overclock), 8800GTS 512mb oc'd 760/2100, 2gb of DDR2

FPS: 45fps avg, 29 low, 60 high (Max Set)

Gart

Agent Ironside said:
What kind of sound problems where you having? I seem to have some popping in the background on rare occasions.

I get the popping occasionally too. No idea what that is. At first I thought it was missing ambient audio or something.

For the sound problem, it was more trying to get 5.1 to work. Vista + Mass Effect apparently doesn't like creative soundcards.

I finished the PC version earlier today. My feelings are that as far as the story, level design, and gameplay are concerned, this game is phenomenal at the beginning, pretty good at the end, and pure shit in between. Of course the sidequests were a complete waste of my time, Bioware must have spent about 30 minutes designing them all, and they must have been pretty drunk at the time. But even Feros, Noveria, Virmire, Liara's planet, and Ilos were poorly designed. They had a few good moments, but for the most part they were uninteresting and felt... empty.

While the level design astonished me with its low quality, what really made my jaw drop was the story. I say it made my jaw drop because I couldn't believe Bioware was responsible for it. It starts strong, the twist isn't bad, and the ending is all right, but when you get down to it it's unoriginal, predictable, boring shit. Baldur's Gate 1's story was vastly superior to this.

Well, it's not all bad. I actually enjoyed the combat once I put it at Hard (or whatever the difficulty level one step above Normal is called), except during the sidequests. I played a Vanguard, and I have to admit that casting crowd control spells on the baddies in order to charge up at them and blow them up with Carnage was pretty cool. However, this is not a squad based shooter. Controlling my teammates' movements was either impossible or pointless. Making them use their abilities worked all right, but that's hardly different from any other real time RPG like KOTOR. There were never any situations where using flanking or another strategy would have really helped.

Well, it's not ALL bad. Really, I mean it this time. The characters and the landscapes are absolutely breathtaking. Why Bioware would spend so much time on landscapes when they could have been designing halfway decent levels is beyond me. Also, I liked the dialogue and the moral choices, they were both a lot less campy than the usually Bioware fare. The NPCs were likable; Saren was awesome. And I LOVED the game universe. Despite my dislike for many aspects of Mass Effect, I will buy Mass Effect 2 if it looks like some of the problems are fixed, if only to experience the ME universe once again.

Well, that's it. Overall, this game deserves a 7/10 at most. Mask of the Betrayer beats the crap out of this game and then rubs its obsidian ass all over its face.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just found out that Drew posted a Q&A about the next book that's coming out in July.

It's set 2 months after the end of ME1 but will not feature any of the game characters. It has a character from the first book, so it looks like the book "story" is going to run independent of the game.
He also says that the book should not be seen as an indicator of when ME2 will come out.

BeeDog

Should be getting my PC copy today along with the new graphic card, can't wait. :D You guys who are playing this game in Vista x64, did you encounter any heavy issues?

Also, has that expansion (the 360 DLC) been released yet?

BeeDog

Got the PC copy home today, and wanted to try out my new graphic card.

I installed Vista Business x64 today, and all the necessary drivers. After the game's splash screen opens up, I manage to set the settings in the config utility, but when I start the game, a Windows popup simply says "Mass Effect has stopped working". Nothing else! This is pissing me off.

My specs are:

Intel Quad-Core Q9450 (not overclocked)
ASUS Geforce 9800GTX with the latest drivers
X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard with the latest beta drivers and the latest ALchemy version

What should I do?

firehawk12 said:
Just found out that Drew posted a Q&A about the next book that's coming out in July.

It's set 2 months after the end of ME1 but will not feature any of the game characters. It has a character from the first book, so it looks like the book "story" is going to run independent of the game.
He also says that the book should not be seen as an indicator of when ME2 will come out.

I was debating reading it when it's released because I didn't want to spoil ME2.

Looks like we won't have to worry. That's good. :)

BeeDog said:

I installed Vista Business x64 today, and all the necessary drivers. After the game's splash screen opens up, I manage to set the settings in the config utility, but when I start the game, a Windows popup simply says "Mass Effect has stopped working". Nothing else! This is pissing me off.

My specs are:

X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard with the latest beta drivers and the latest ALchemy version

What should I do?

Go to your Documents folder, find the Bioware folder with your config and profile in it, the go to logs, read the error report.

Playing through myself now for the first time on the Xbox. Better than I expected. I was sort of burned out on the whole good versus evil mechanic in these rpgs but while I'm early in, Mass Effect seems to handle it a lot more deftly than the Kotor series(which I liked)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, Insanity is dumb.

Just give every non-geth enemy and their mothers immunity, which forces you to shoot at them for 45 seconds watching their health barely even move, and then stun them before they immediately reactivate said immunity. Not really harder tactics wise, just time-consuming....thank god it's over.

Anyways, does anyone have an actual number for the amount of missions needed for the asari ally achievement? I know it's almost every one after Eden Prime, but I was wondering if you could miss one or two and still get it.

dejan

BeeDog said:

My specs are:

What should I do?
I had the same problem, just start the game in admin mode from the game explorer.

aznpxdd

Just started playing it today and its pretty fun so far. Running it everything maxed out at 1280x1024 with 4xAA forced through nHancer, looks and runs great. Rig = e8400@3.8, 8gb ram & 8800GT@700/1750/2000.

syllogism

PhlegmMaster said:
I finished the PC version earlier today. My feelings are that as far as the story, level design, and gameplay are concerned, this game is phenomenal at the beginning, pretty good at the end, and pure shit in between. Of course the sidequests were a complete waste of my time, Bioware must have spent about 30 minutes designing them all, and they must have been pretty drunk at the time. But even Feros, Noveria, Virmire, Liara's planet, and Ilos were poorly designed. They had a few good moments, but for the most part they were uninteresting and felt... empty.

While the level design astonished me with its low quality, what really made my jaw drop was the story. I say it made my jaw drop because I couldn't believe Bioware was responsible for it. It starts strong, the twist isn't bad, and the ending is all right, but when you get down to it it's unoriginal, predictable, boring shit. Baldur's Gate 1's story was vastly superior to this.

Well, it's not all bad. I actually enjoyed the combat once I put it at Hard (or whatever the difficulty level one step above Normal is called), except during the sidequests. I played a Vanguard, and I have to admit that casting crowd control spells on the baddies in order to charge up at them and blow them up with Carnage was pretty cool. However, this is not a squad based shooter. Controlling my teammates' movements was either impossible or pointless. Making them use their abilities worked all right, but that's hardly different from any other real time RPG like KOTOR. There were never any situations where using flanking or another strategy would have really helped.

Well, it's not ALL bad. Really, I mean it this time. The characters and the landscapes are absolutely breathtaking. Why Bioware would spend so much time on landscapes when they could have been designing halfway decent levels is beyond me. Also, I liked the dialogue and the moral choices, they were both a lot less campy than the usually Bioware fare. The NPCs were likable; Saren was awesome. And I LOVED the game universe. Despite my dislike for many aspects of Mass Effect, I will buy Mass Effect 2 if it looks like some of the problems are fixed, if only to experience the ME universe once again.

Well, that's it. Overall, this game deserves a 7/10 at most. Mask of the Betrayer beats the crap out of this game and then rubs its obsidian ass all over its face.
I agree with almost everything. Still enjoying it, but it's definitely a disappointment.

Here's my character for no reason:

brownqk

Metroidvania said:
Ugh, Insanity is dumb.

Just give every non-geth enemy and their mothers immunity, which forces you to shoot at them for 45 seconds watching their health barely even move, and then stun them before they immediately reactivate said immunity. Not really harder tactics wise, just time-consuming....thank god it's over.

Anyways, does anyone have an actual number for the amount of missions needed for the asari ally achievement? I know it's almost every one after Eden Prime, but I was wondering if you could miss one or two and still get it.

Uh, warp is more damaging than immunity is protective. Just bring along characters with that skill and you'll be fine playing on insanity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh yeah, on Insanity, you want to take organic ammo mods with you. It still sucks, but at least you can pound away faster.

As for any quests to avoid... just do all of them? There's no reason not to do them... other than the fact that they're pretty much all the same after you do a whole bunch of them.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just finished it. The side quests are perhaps the worst side quests of any RPG, ever.

I am so glad I played Renegade through the entire game, though. The Renegade dialog options and quest outcomes are so much better, and really push the limit of what I've seen for player choice in video games. Hardcore stuff, like
betraying the internal affairs agent on Noveria and having her and the corporate exec kill each other while you wait patiently and take the access card from his corpse. Or on Feros, that asari woman who mind melds with you... "you've changed sides too often, I can't let you live," and she understands and turns around, goes down on her knees, and puts her hands behind her head...and you blow her away. Damn. And convincing Saren to SHOOT HIMSELF IN THE HEAD, wowow. And holding the alliance fleet back to let the council die, then asserting humanity's power over the galaxy.
Really great, edgy stuff.

I did all the side quests except for two or three of the collection ones where there was no way I was going to grind through to complete them. Despite doing all of them, and doing the relationship stuff and all the other NPC stuff with the exception of Carth (refuse to use him or interact with him), the game took me 21 hours to finish. I'm pretty certain that the copy paste side quests (which I regret doing) account for around 8-10 hours of that. This is a seriously short game for an RPG, and despite that the combat got very stale and predictable very quickly.

Please shoot the person responsible for putting the Mako into the game. At this point I'd rather play E.T. 2600 than ever touch the Mako again. That's some fucking terrible, repetitive gameplay, with the most awful mountain climbing garbage and 5 mile long hallways on story planets.

Itemization is absolutely horrible. [Name] 1-10, yeah that's really compelling. No unique weapons except for Master Spectre crap, which oh by the way you can easily get access to early on and puts your gear progressions WRT weapons to a complete halt. Because there was so little of use to spend money on, quest rewards become completely useless in every way, so the only factor is the entertainment value (which is definitely served by the renegade path). Completing time consuming quests just to receive "! JOURNAL," and no reward or other result at all has to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with an RPG, and receiving effectively useless money/exp other times is not much better.

Skill system sucks, there's very little uniqueness to each class, so much overlap. Force powers are pretty lame and I rarely used them despite being a Vanguard.

Level design is awful. I'm assuming the extra-long corridors and frequent elevators are a design crutch for the 360 version, but they were obviously not necessary on the PC. Just allowing sprint outside of combat would've made up for most of that. Putting an insane amount of obstructions in the environment for combat areas just screams artificial and game-y; I don't want to see shiny blocks of concrete along my narrow path every 5 feet just so I can always use the cover system.

Aesthetically the Citadel was pretty neat, though it's a very thin facade to show the enormous city in the background while this dinky little two floor thing with a few people on it is all you get to interact with. The box factories, the gears of war wannabe planet, the annoyingly designed facilities with long spiraling pathways, they're all shit.

If not for the great dialog options and quest outcomes via the renegade path, I would seriously hate Mass Effect. I got so much of a kick out of being a merciless asshole, though, that I can't hate it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
brownqk said:
Uh, warp is more damaging than immunity is protective. Just bring along characters with that skill and you'll be fine playing on insanity.

Didn't seem that way to me, and I had Wrex with master warp constantly casting. It helped, sure, but still took tons of time to kill any Krogan.

edit: just checked, Master immunity gives 80% defense boost, master warp lowers 75%. But it seemed like even more than that 5% boost....ah, well. It's over with.

Danj

Well, it FINALLY came out over here in Europe today, so I picked it up and I'm loving it so far. The only bit I'm not loving is the bit where you can't alt-tab because it basically locks up when you try and alt-tab back :( also I just had some problem with grey triangles appearing and then the screen going black (but the computer didn't crash, I was able to load task manager and kill the game) which I believe someone said is overheating? Which is weird though because I already installed Rivatuner and set up temperature range fan controls on it so the fan will have been going at 100%. Anyway I guess I'll try rebooting tomorrow and then have another go.

Gart

Yeah im starting to feel the same as you Evilore, although I'm not that far in and so far I like the combat(playing on hardest setting the game will let you on 1st playthrough)...and I went the paragon route :/

I don't understand why devs use this cut and paste style, it sucks don't do it! Lately I've been pretty intolerant to predictable overall game design and I feel I can sense them a mile away. If you're going to use it, at least have compelling stories or rewards for them. In ME, it would seem it's doubly suckage; cut and paste + bad side quest/rewards.

Okay on the good side, I like the sounds for combat. All Guns and powers have a nice punch, shield replenishes, weapon switch etc. sound cool. Sounds positioning seems really good and some of the ambient sounds are well done like the off screen war sounds and various other environmental sounds. Visuals for planets can look nice, clouds, rain, meteors, atmosphere. Good voice acting. It's low on the cheese.

I think I'll probably just finish and skip most the side quest. Maybe do a play over blasting through with renegade to mess around.

BeeDog

Thanks guys for the earlier answers, using the admin trick did it.

Anyways, have been playing for a while now, and the game is good, but not great. EviLore pretty much sums up everything I'm annoyed by at the moment; copy-paste environments, really boring Mako parts, awful side-quests and boring itemization. The graphics aren't anything to write home about either, but on the plus side, the character models are great and the texture work as well. The good parts so far are the great conversations, the role-playing (when you actually do it), the voice acting, and best of all, the awesome music and sound effects (finally a game that has weapons that pack a punch sound-wise!). Some of the bigger action set pieces are pretty cool aswell.

From the parts I've played so far, in my opinion the game doesn't live up to its reviews and the hype, but maybe I just expected too much from Bioware. It feels like a souped-up KoTOR1/2, but even KoTOR1/2 were better in several regards. Won't "rate" this game until I've finished it though! It's still captivating enough to keep me occupied until the end.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So the only achievements I have left to get are:

Overload
AI Hacking
Damping
Stasis
Sabotage
Neutral Shock

Can anyone tell me which class/classes I have to play through to get these abilities and if there's an easier way to get them besides actually hitting 75 enemies? I know that you could hit the Mako for the Warp and Throw achievement.

rs7k

Mass Effect isn't as good as KOTOR, but few games are.

THe side-quests aren't genius by any stretch of the imagination, but what works in the game works so well that in the end, Mass Effect definitely isn't overrated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Domino Theory said:
So the only achievements I have left to get are:

Overload
AI Hacking
Damping
Stasis
Sabotage
Neutral Shock

Can anyone tell me which class/classes I have to play through to get these abilities and if there's an easier way to get them besides actually hitting 75 enemies? I know that you could hit the Mako for the Warp and Throw achievement.

Engineer for most of them. Stasis is a biotic power though.

EviLore said:
I am so glad I played Renegade through the entire game, though. The Renegade dialog options and quest outcomes are so much better, and really push the limit of what I've seen for player choice in video games. Hardcore stuff, like
betraying the internal affairs agent on Noveria and having her and the corporate exec kill each other while you wait patiently and take the access card from his corpse. Or on Feros, that asari woman who mind melds with you... "you've changed sides too often, I can't let you live," and she understands and turns around, goes down on her knees, and puts her hands behind her head...and you blow her away. Damn. And convincing Saren to SHOOT HIMSELF IN THE HEAD, wowow. And holding the alliance fleet back to let the council die, then asserting humanity's power over the galaxy.
Really great, edgy stuff.

Amusingly, I did all of those things except the one on Noveria... as a Paragon. :lol

Please shoot the person responsible for putting the Mako into the game. At this point I'd rather play E.T. 2600 than ever touch the Mako again. That's some fucking terrible, repetitive gameplay, with the most awful mountain climbing garbage and 5 mile long hallways on story planets.

Lololol. So true. I had to devise a pattern to methodically search 90% of a map to make sure I'd find whatever it was I had to find.

Skill system sucks, there's very little uniqueness to each class, so much overlap. Force powers are pretty lame and I rarely used them despite being a Vanguard.

Wow, really? I would have had a pretty hard time finishing the game without Lift and Singularity.

Level design is awful.

By far the worst aspect of the game.

Domino Theory said:

To answer your first question: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Talents#Biotic

To answer your second, I don't think so. Frankly, I wouldn't bother. You'll have to through more than half the game as an engineer to get most of those achievements, and that's gonna suck.

Top Bottom