• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Flunkie

Banned
Alright then - I guess my mind is made up if it's going to be simultaneous for sure. It's your guys' fault if not. :p

Now, where did I put that install disc..

Edit: Another thing - what class should I play through? I played Vangard the first time I think - I like sticking to the basics and having badass guns rather than making enemies fly away. I've got inFamous for that gaming itch. :p

Flunkie said:
Alright then - I guess my mind is made up if it's going to be simultaneous for sure. It's your guys' fault if not. :p

Edit: Another thing - what class should I play through? I played Vangard the first time I think - I like sticking to the basics and having badass guns rather than making enemies fly away. I've got inFamous for that gaming itch. :p
I'm playing through a second time, and choosing Infiltrator again. I have no Goddamned idea why. The amount of insane swim the developers put on the zoomed-in sniper rifle makes the fucking thing completely impossible to use, but my gaming tendencies just don't let me pass up on a class that uses sniper rifles. I'm stupid.

Doodis

ToyMachine228 said:
Has anyone here read the Mass Effect novels or comics? How are they?
I've read both novels. They're not the greatest literature ever written, but if you're into the story then you might like them. The first book contains a story from Captain Anderson's and Saren's history. The second book sets up some backstory that will supposedly lead into the second game.

graywolf323

Mrbob said:
Wait, I just read no NEWGAME+ in Mass Effect 2? Well that blows.

The main reason I replayed Mass Effect were the stat bonuses tied to achievements.

that sucks :-( why did they go and do that

Flunkie

Banned
Chris Remo said:
I'm playing through a second time, and choosing Infiltrator again. I have no Goddamned idea why. The amount of insane swim the developers put on the zoomed-in sniper rifle makes the fucking thing completely impossible to use, but my gaming tendencies just don't let me pass up on a class that uses sniper rifles. I'm stupid.
Yeah, I tend to stay away from the snipers. Well away. :lol

I've also been reading the first Mass Effect book during my recovery from surgery. Like said above, there's no outstanding parts so far, but it's a really interesting read so far, and can't wait to finish it and start on the second. One thing I'll mention about the book so far is that it really is cohesive with the Mass Effect world. Describing such steps as the guns folding in on itself and the subtleties of the game. Mass Effect's world is quickly becoming one of my favorite and most captivating videogame universe.

graywolf323 said:
Something about them not wanting to mess with the story and continuity of the trilogy.

Flunkie said:

Soldier. By the end of the game, the assault rifle is a beast. I just beat the game for the first time today playing soldier, and I was ripping through Geth by the end.

Flunkie

Banned
Bpatrol said:
Soldier. By the end of the game, the assault rifle is a beast. I just beat the game for the first time today playing soldier, and I was ripping through Geth by the end.
Wow, shit.. I totally meant Soldier. I never played through with Vangard. Don't know what I was thinking there. But I agree, it's beastly.

TheYanger

graywolf323 said:
It's really pretty simple:
The power gulf between someone who just beat MAss Effect, and someone that new game + min-maxxed the shit out of their character is INSANE. This leads to difficulty trying to make a sequel where you import your characters and balance (Either the 'normal' player is going to get his ass kicked, or the insane character is going to one shot the entire game).

Because of this dilemma, transferring your file from ME1 to ME2 is BASICALLY just transferring your choices on a few select things (People being alive or not, etc), but they're resetting your level, letting you change appearance, and even change class if you want, cause your shit is not really transferring that much.

In order to combat this problem, they're having ME2 not have new game + And instead letting you play after you beat it. In this way, if the max level is...say 50, they can reasonably expect MOST transferred characters to be about level 50 and have most of the stuff in the game done, thus! Their plan for Mass Effect 3 is to let EVERYTHING copy over perfectly from mass effect 2. So that you don't get the same half assed 'transfer your save game!'that we're getting from 1->2.

Make sense? It should.

Chris R

Just beat the game. WOW good game, but holy hell is it short. I mean you could beat it in like 4 hours if you hustled :lol

Didn't get all of the achievements I was wanting to on my first play through, mostly because I thought the game would be going much longer than it did so I didn't go and finish my side quests ect, before going beyond the point of no return. Also several of the story "options" didn't really make that much sense to me, but whatever
Sure I never used Wrex in my party, but just because I didn't use him in my party, he has to get killed by that stupid dumb bitch I then have to decide to save??? lol

Will most likely do another playthrough, even with all the issues the game has. Here is hoping ME2 fixes most of them though, and is quite a bit longer too boot. One nice thing would be to make sniper rifles useful for more than like 20 seconds in the entire game. I mean I wanted to snipe to my hearts content, but instead I just used a pimped out pistol that would straight out destroy shit.

Beowulf28

Flunkie said:
Wow, shit.. I totally meant Soldier. I never played through with Vangard. Don't know what I was thinking there. But I agree, it's beastly.
You should definitely try out the Vanguard. Once you get the shotgun maxed out its like the best of both worlds (Soldier/Adept)

rhfb said:
One nice thing would be to make sniper rifles useful for more than like 20 seconds in the entire game. I mean I wanted to snipe to my hearts content, but instead I just used a pimped out pistol that would straight out destroy shit.

Damn, I used the sniper rifle almost exclusively in my first playthrough. :lol

It's godly once you power it up.

TheYanger said:
Make sense? It should.

Nope, sorry. It's still a garbage decision, no matter how snarky you put it.

I'd rather have "ng+/only decisions transfer" than have "no ng+/all stats transfer".

Giolon

You don't have to use Wrex to save him. You either need to have high enough Paragon or Renegade points, or have done his side mission which doesn't even require him to be present. Just talk to him on the Normandy about it

Also, Ashley is my favorite racist ever. I hit that.

Bought this game on PC at the beginning of the year. No doubt that it was an awesome experience. I played through it once and was playing through it a second time until the crashes got to be too much. I'm really disappointed that they have done nothing thus far to fix this problem and since my PC is my primary platform I don't feel comfortable supporting their products further. Is a shame as I was so invested in this game when I got it.

Alucrid

Banned
gregor7777 said:

I agree, it's easy to no scope with and hilariously fun scoped or unscoped with high explosive rounds. I wouldn't want to play as a Soldier though, I'd find it a bit boring...even picking Infiltrator as my first class was a bit boring. I find that Bionics are the most fun to use. Lift + throw is an instant classic.

purg3

slept with Malkin
gregor7777 said:

finally went back and finished up my hardcore playthrough, and sniper rifles are awesome. throw the highest scram rails and explosive rounds in that bitch and you got yourself a rocket launcher. :lol

Cruceh

Banned
I started playing this yesterday, 5 hours through, and holy hell the elevators.
Fun though as sentinel. Lift, Throw, Pistol wooo!

Firestorm

I think I just went with the default at the beginning of the game so I was a Soldier. Assault Rifles all the way. Overkill was amazing.

Flunkie

Banned
I keep putting this off and putting this off. My current excuse is that I'm waiting for my 25" RGB cable to connect my PC to my 50" HDTV to play my PC games on there. :lol

TheYanger

`Moe Joe. said:
Thanks.

So does that mean only story and appearance features carry over into ME2? The article explained the ME2 - ME3 transition but I'm still trying to grasp the current.
Your decisions carry over, your characters looks 'carry over' but you're free to change them at the start. So....basically just your decisions. The rest will carry over but you can change em as if you were making a new game.

Flunkie

Banned
So, what if you play through ME2 without carrying decisions over? Hmm..

If I can't sleep in the next two hours, it may just be ME1 replay time. I think you guys have convinced me on Vang(u)ard.

`Moe Joe. said:
Thanks.

So does that mean only story and appearance features carry over into ME2? The article explained the ME2 - ME3 transition but I'm still trying to grasp the current.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere recently that they're planning to have some sort of explanation as to why Shepards abilities reset in the actual story. Hopefully if they do do that it's not something lame.

Anyway, I recently got the first ME book and just finished it the other day, as some others said not the greats book in the world but as an extension of the ME fiction it was pretty cool. It was nice to get a bit of backstory to Anderson and Sarens 'history' that's mentioned in the game.

Once I finished it I jumped back onto ME to continue what I plan on being my ME2 save. Spent nearly 3 hours going about the Citadel, I skipped most of it in my last playthrough so I'd completely forgotten how big it was and just how many sidequests there are to do on it.

I really do love just wandering around and talking to everyone I can, asking them all the random stuff you can about themselves, their cultures and such. Just got Tali and Wrex in my party, next thing I'm going to do it get Garrus then I'll go expose Saren, finish up the Citadel stuff and head off and do some Galaxy side missions.

For all it's pretty prominent flaws this is still an absolutely fantastic game, I can't wait to play ME2 as they clearly know what needs fixing and seem dedicated to making it all better.

Darunia said:
Was this already posted? Mass Effect is updated to 1200. 3 new achievements

I guess this means the 2nd DLC is actually coming soonish now?

I just finished my first playthrough as Female/Infiltrator/Renegade
/Operative

By the end of the game, at level 35 maybe, I had pistol maxed, and it was awesome. A couple of things, though--Even though I took Ashley and Liara with me on practically every excursion,
I never got laid, and never got either "ally" achivement. What gives?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Blast Processing said:

/Operative

By the end of the game, at level 35 maybe, I had pistol maxed, and it was awesome. A couple of things, though--Even though I took Ashley and Liara with me on practically every excursion,

You need to talk with them a lot between missions, side or main. Also if you're female you can only get down with Liara as Ashley is a bigot :mad:

OMG Aero

Blast Processing said:

/Operative

To get the ally achievements you have to use no-one but the companions you want as soon as possible, so to get it for Liara and Ashley you need to have Ashley with you all the time and leave the citadel to go get Liara as soon as you can without doing any Citadel sidequests.

Magik

Since we know our decisions carry through to ME2, I wonder what will happen if you carry over a play-through that has done both the Renegade and Paragon specific missions.

Mindlog

OMG Aero said:
To get the ally achievements you have to use no-one but the companions you want as soon as possible, so to get it for Liara and Ashley you need to have Ashley with you all the time and leave the citadel to go get Liara as soon as you can without doing any Citadel sidequests.

There were some posts earlier in this thread/around the internet that gave the exact number of main story/side missions needed to get an ally achievement. You could actually miss one or two main quest missions for everyone except liara and i forget how many side quests. BDtS made the whole thing much easier.

That said. Who wants to race to 1250 :D

Uncle

Rikyfree said:
Pinacle Station released in Switzerland and Sweden. Dunno what it is, but it's probably coming this week or in the coming weeks.

It's the DLC talked about in the posts on this page..? But wtf at the release. All you
unemployed
swedes and swiss hurry up and check it out.

Just finished my 3rd play through of this on insane. About 40k EXP till level 60. 2 more play throughs' to go for 1050g then ill be getting the DLC when it hits.

Hope there's no annoying "Majority Of The Game" achievements in ME2 -.- screwed me over twice -.-

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Rikyfree said:
Pinacle Station released in Switzerland and Sweden. Dunno what it is, but it's probably coming this week or in the coming weeks.

:O Zomg, do want.

Gaz Pwnage said:
Just finished my 3rd play through of this on insane. About 40k EXP till level 60. 2 more play throughs' to go for 1050g then ill be getting the DLC when it hits.

Hope there's no annoying "Majority Of The Game" achievements in ME2 -.- screwed me over twice -.-

Mass Effect DLC achievements
-Undisputed 50G
Complete Ahern's survival mission

-New Sheriff in Town 50G
Take first place in any combat scenario on Pinnacle Station

-Best of the Best 50G
Take first place in 12 combat scenarios on Pinnacle Station

-Bioware Response-

http://meforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=691128&forum=144&sp=60

Chris Priestly Community Coordinator said:
This is not correct. The DLC is NOT available in Germany yet, this is a mistake from the German Xbox website. We are correcting this.

You should be hearing more about the next DLC later today once work starts back in North America. Until then, this gets closed.

LOCKDOWN!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kydd BlaZe said:
Oh shit son! DLC this week??!!

neogaf1.gif
!!!!!!!!

Lucius86

Banned
randomlyrossy said:
Anyway, I recently got the first ME book and just finished it the other day, as some others said not the greats book in the world but as an extension of the ME fiction it was pretty cool. It was nice to get a bit of backstory to Anderson and Sarens 'history' that's mentioned in the game.

Go read the second book, Ascension. I enjoyed that a lot more compared to book uno, plus it contains a lot of back-story for sure to ME2. A few significant events occur in that story!

Davidion

I've just started playing this game a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. There are some minor sound glitches (associated with the latest patch, I believe) but those are thankfully few and far between and the game is technically perfect most of the time.

I feel like this game is a bit more solid than KotOR, and I feel like it has to do with a lot of dialogue, well-fleshed out back story, and meaty exploration on one hand and your character feeling powerful but never overly so like in KotOR on the other. Right now I'm about level 23 on
Feros
, having completed
Noveria, Bring Down the Sky, and a couple of side missions.
. The combat is good, but I'm a sentinel and I still feel like I'm demolishing enemy troops almost a little too effectively while relying mostly on my pistol.

Outside of the occasional unwanted wall lean, the controls feel great and everything feels nice and substantial. I'm absolutely loving the game thus far despite not really having had any interest in more bioware games coming into it.

Lucius86 said:
Go read the second book, Ascension. I enjoyed that a lot more compared to book uno, plus it contains a lot of back-story for sure to ME2. A few significant events occur in that story!

I plan to, thoroughly enjoyed the first one and I'm definetly going to need more Mass Effect fix before ME2 comes out :lol

Lucius86 said:
Huh, I feel completely the opposite.
Think Ascension is really poor in comparison to the first.

Top Bottom