• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Naeblish said:
Holy hell. I liked the gametrailers video review, it doesn't contain spoilers for those who want to know.
Woah everyone... there's plenty of stuff in there I'd consider spoliers. Plus a bunch of stuff I think people would much rather get blown away by the first time they see in in game themselves.

Just a warning, I suppose it depends on your sensitivity to finding out little details.

I said WOW...

Gamespy review: "This is one of the best games of the year, and will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the greatest games ever made."

GarthVaderUK said:
Scores summary:

OXM US: 10/10
OXM Australia: 10/10
GameSpy: 5/5
GamerTV: 5/5
Xbox Evolved: 9.8/10
Game Informer: 9.75/10
GameTrailers: 9.6/10
TeamXbox: 9.6
IGN: 9.4/10
EGM: 9/10, 9.5/10, 9/10
CVG: 9/10
Gamesmaster: 90%
Video Game Talk: 4.5/5
Xbox World 360: 90%
Eurogamer: 8/10
Hey thanks, I gotta update the OP but I've been a little crushed with my workload these past few days. I'll be on it by tomorrow though!

Now I gotta go put this in the reviews thread so the official one remains impressions/discussion only.

Naeblish

Psychotext said:
Woah everyone... there's plenty of stuff in there I'd consider spoliers. Plus a bunch of stuff I think people would much rather get blown away by the first time they see in in game themselves.

Just a warning, I suppose it depends on your sensitivity to finding out little details.
You think so? Well, i will edit my post in that case but to me they weren't really spoilers.

Sectus

*stabs anyone who complains about 8/10 score*

Last I checked 8/10 is a freaking good score. And you're in denial if you try to pretend the game doesn't have flaws, but it's still a freaking good game.

IronicallyTwisted said:
The hate is strong with this one...
Engineers have:

-An explosion which silences all abilities.
-An explosion which disables the weapons of all enemies.
-An explosion which disables enemy shield in combat.

Coupled with the Engineers other perks, including opening just about anything, having the best mines in the game, and controlling enemy units, the engineer is a fine class.
Damping doesn't silence all abilities, it adds up to 60% longer recharge time. And that doesn't matter since 90% of the enemies seems to never use abilities at all. The major threat is most definitely people shooting at you. Damping can stun enemies for ~3 seconds though which is good. But not that great considering there's 4 Adept spells which also stuns enemies

Sabotage's ability to overheat enemy weapons is near useless. At medium to long range it has virtually no effect since it just means enemies will spend ~4 more seconds in cover. At close range it is useful, but then again stunning an enemy completely would be even more useful.

Overload doesn't disable shields completely, it deals a specific amount of damage to shields. It's probably the best of out these 3 abilities, but considering you can't use it very often means that your pistol will be dealing most of the damage to enemy shields anyway.

How does engineers get better mines by the way? I thought all classes had the same ones. Being able to open anything in the game doesn't matter much anyway, any character can do that if you have someone with Decryption and Electronics in your party.

IronicallyTwisted said:
Edit: Also, as for the Sentinal class, don't forget their class talent is the best in the game. Reduces all cooldown, increases pistol firepower/accuracy, and gives them an all new ability: marksman.
That doesn't make sense. The Sentinel class doesn't even have the pistol attribute. Sure you aren't mixing it up with the Infiltrator class?

Naeblish said:
You think so? Well, i will edit my post in that case but to me they weren't really spoilers.
Like I said, it really depends on your sensitivity to it. Seeing people die in cutscenes was enough to start my spoiler warning alarm off! :D

Falagard

I'd say the Gametrailers review had major spoilers. I'm about 8 hours into the game and there were some things in the review where I was like... woah, not sure I wanted to see that.

JayDubya

Banned
Sectus said:
That doesn't make sense. The Sentinel class doesn't even have the pistol attribute. Sure you aren't mixing it up with the Infiltrator class?

In addition to the eight talents listed on the Galactic Codex, every class has a "class talent" with the name of the class itself.

Soldiers get health regen and more health, Vanguards get bonus damage with pistols and shotguns, so forth and so on. I believe the Sentinel one actually works almost like having the Pistol skill, increasing damage and accuracy and giving Marksman skill.

Of course, unlike the "real" Pistol talent, a class talent only has a maximum of 6 ranks (points spent) instead of 12, so you won't be able to achieve the level of mastery in a Pistol that every other class in the game can do - of course, some other players may never spend more than 6 ranks in Pistol anyway. You also can wear light armor as a Sentinel but you can never upgrade its quality through talent point expenditure.

Ark-AMN

Banned
So whats the deal with the game's lesbian scene? I saw a vid over at IGN that seemed to imply that was it. I mean, is that all? That's as tame as you can get and I can't believe people are making a big deal over it.

JayDubya

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
So whats the deal with the game's lesbian scene? I saw a vid over at IGN that seemed to imply that was it. I mean, is that all? That's as tame as you can get and I can't believe people are making a big deal over it.

Which one did you see?

More importantly, was it Liara or some other random Asari?

The romance scene with Liara contains sideboob and Liara's ass and otherwise covers up naughty bits and uses quick cuts. The other one contains kissing and only implies sex. I almost wish I hadn't seen it yet, but I'm a sucker for spoilers. If the Ashley / Kaiden ones leaked I'd probably watch those too.

Anyhoo, either scene is available for Shepards of either gender if you're into interspecial lovin' with asexual blue humanoids.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I guess the latter was on IGN. But they didn't even kiss.

Kind of sad though that the female shepard can't have a relationship with the alien dudes. :D

JayDubya

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
I guess the latter was on IGN. But they didn't even kiss.

Kind of sad though that the female shepard can't have a relationship with the alien dudes. :D

Don't worry, thanks to rule 34 I'm sure we'll see some hot Krogan pr0n.

SpudBud

I'm still deciding if I should go Soldier or Vanguard my first time around. I tend to lean to the "warrior " type in most games, but Vanguard looks like the best of both worlds.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both classes?

Sectus

JayDubya said:
In addition to the eight talents listed on the Galactic Codex, every class has a "class talent" with the name of the class itself.

Soldiers get health regen and more health, Vanguards get bonus damage with pistols and shotguns, so forth and so on. I believe the Sentinel one actually works almost like having the Pistol skill, increasing damage and accuracy and giving Marksman skill.

Of course, unlike the "real" Pistol talent, a class talent only has a maximum of 6 ranks (points spent) instead of 12, so you won't be able to achieve the level of mastery in a Pistol that every other class in the game can do - of course, some other players may never spend more than 6 ranks in Pistol anyway. You also can wear light armor as a Sentinel but you can never upgrade its quality through talent point expenditure.
Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of that. The sentinel class isn't that bad then if they've at least got half of the pistol attribute.

Sectus

SpudBud said:
I'm still deciding if I should go Soldier or Vanguard my first time around. I tend to lean to the "warrior " type in most games, but Vanguard looks like the best of both worlds.

Soldier gets to use heavy armor and they can use all 4 weapon types.

Vanguard can only use pistol and shotgun, but has access to 3 or 4 spells.

I personally would recommend Vanguard as it's a more varied and fun class to play. I think Vanguard would be a slightly more powerful class but both should be perfectly fine to complete the game with. If you're planning to complete the game more than once (which you'll need to do if you wanna try to get more achievements or play higher difficulties) I recommend you save the better class for another playthrough.

There's another thing worth mentioning which might be a tiny spoiler...

When getting some of the "mastery" achievements (killing 150 enemies with a specific weapon, or using an ability 75 times) you get the option to choose one bonus attribute when making a new character. For instance, if you have the achievement for killing 150 enemies with a sniper rifle, or having used Sabotage 75 times you get to choose between Sniper Rifle and Electronics as a bonus attribute for that character.

That's something to keep in mind if you're planning to play through the game multiple times (hell, you could probably just start a temporary character, use something like Throw on a box 75 times and you can have that bonus attribute for your very first real character)

JayDubya

Banned
SpudBud said:

A Soldier is going to have more health and more armor and can use more weapons.

A Vanguard is going to have a lot of powerful close range offensive options but not be able to "take a hit" as well.

Common Ground:
Pistol, Assault Training, Unlockable Shotgun

Soldier

+: Assault Rifles
+: Combat Armor (Medium => Heavy)
+: Unlockable Sniper Rifle talent
+: Unlock Shotguns slightly earlier (less investment into Pistol)
+: Unlockable Fitness & First Aid
+: Class talent - More health, health regen

-: No Biotic powers.

Vanguard:

+: Biotic powers (Throw, Warp / Unlock Lift, Barrier)
+: Class talent - More damage with Shotgun, resistance to enemy Biotic powers

-: Unlockable Tactical Armor (Light => Medium)

Variable

DreamMachine said:
I said WOW...

Gamespy review: "This is one of the best games of the year, and will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the greatest games ever made."

I really hate it when reviewers say that.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Dyno said:
I love those guys but they devoted three comics to nitpick Mass Effect, meanwhile Assassin's Creed (who funny enough has a big ad on their site) has thus far got a free pass. The repetition in AC alone is a strip that writes itself.

They said in the beginning that they have boundless love for ME are just going into minutia. Hence the title "Nitpicking." They love AC too, but not as much as ME from what I can tell.

Wait, if you are a female Shepard you can get it on with Ashley instead of the blue chick? I thought the lesbian action was limited to the alien girl only?

JayDubya

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:
Wait, if you are a female Shepard you can get it on with Ashley instead of the blue chick? I thought the lesbian action was limited to the alien girl only?

I have no idea where you got confused, but the only one talking about it was me, so let's recap:

Male Human Shepard: Romance storyline with Female Human party member OR Asari party member.

Female Human Shepard: Romance storyline with Male Human party member OR Asari party member.

Also, there is no such thing as a "male" Asari. Which means there is no such thing as a "female" Asari, either. Maybe they clone themselves. Maybe they asexually bud. Maybe they're hermaphroditic. Maybe they use parthenogenesis. Beats me. Since you can get intimate with not one, but two of them in the course of the story, maybe some of the dialogue will reveal a bit more data. :lol

They obviously look similar to female humans, though.

ghostmind said:
Amazon hasn't shipped my CE yet....grrr...

Waiting also, my order has a delivery date of Nov 27, that better not be true. Amazon is really starting to piss me off with their pre-orders, they went from getting them to you on the day of release to a week after, not kosher.

JayDubya

Banned
jjasper said:
I watched it. I didn't see any spoilers.

The spoiler-age is mild and on par with a film trailer, IMHO. If you're so antsy about that sort of thing enough that you have to ask, then I think you may as well just wait.

To put it another way, if you like watching the little quick cuts before an episode of Battlestar Galactica, this should be fine. If you look away for fear of spoilers, then it won't be.

If anything was a bigger spoiler than that, I missed it. And don't remind me what it is, because I haven't played it yet to know what gave away something it shouldn't have. :lol

traveler

Not Wario
I'm talking about the audio, not the video guys. Can I turn the thing on in the background and listen to it without fear of any spoilers?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Gametrailers review had spoilers? I just watched it and without any context I think anyone should feel safe giving it a look. Seriously.

Thyrus

Could someone give a rundown of how the various weapons handle? There just seems to be a gap between the pistol types and the assault rifles (or are smg's included in the pistol type?).

I want to play the vanguard class but eh, i've never been big on shotguns really so how good are the pistols in the game?

Does anyone who has the game yet know if once a character falls in battle they can be revived? or are they dead till the battle is finished? Thanks.

Thyrus said:
Could someone give a rundown of how the various weapons handle? There just seems to be a gap between the pistol types and the assault rifles (or are smg's included in the pistol type?).

I want to play the vanguard class but eh, i've never been big on shotguns really so how good are the pistols in the game?

Honestly in my experience, the pistol has been one awesome weapon. It can do considerable damage to a enemy even from far away where as it seems with the shoot and assault rifle you need to be somewhat close. Thats just my observation in my first 7 hours of playing.

DreamMachine said:
why is this thread so quiet ??

it's one of MS's big guns I figured there would be more talk about it.

We're all...you know...waiting for it? Also, it's a 360 exclusive which means a lot less gnashing of teeth when it comes to reviews.

FrankT

DreamMachine said:
why is this thread so quiet ??

it's one of MS's big guns I figured there would be more talk about it.

Been waiting so long we just want the game already. But, calm before the storm is apt.

Top Bottom