• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JayDubya

Banned
zenbot said:
You get a few tooltips for basic stuff, but they do really throw you in at the deep end. It took me maybe an hour of playing to get my head around most of the game's basic concepts. It's worth actually putting the difficulty on easy until you get an idea of how you're meant to play as even on normal the enemies will ream you if you give them the chance.

Meh. The first encounter in Baldur's Gate was a wolf that would rip your (or Imoen's) head clean off if you weren't careful. One screen or so north was an ogre that would do the same thing, even with a full party, if you hadn't gained some levels and played it smart. ;)

I guess hacking at some rats that can't fight back in Candlekeep could be considered some minor tutorial. :lol

Anyway, yeah, Veteran or bust. If you need to know how to play a game, read your manual. That's what they're for, and Bioware makes them pretty well.

JayDubya said:
Anyway, yeah, Veteran or bust. If you need to know how to play a game, read your manual. That's what they're for, and Bioware makes them pretty well.
I haven't read a manual in years. Games these days are supposed to be made so you don't need to. The manual is built into the game design.

JayDubya

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I haven't read a manual in years. Games these days are supposed to be made so you don't need to. The manual is built into the game design.

You make me sad. A writer that hates to read. :lol

Apocryphon

80ytoap.gif

JayDubya

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I love to read, but if I'm going to spend time reading something it's not going to be a fucking game manual...

Whereas I <3 reading game manuals. Read 'em first thing before starting any game. :lol

FFChris

JayDubya said:
Whereas I <3 reading game manuals. Read 'em first thing before starting any game. :lol

When I was a big PC gamer one of the benefits of having a manual was flicking through it while the game was installing.

Reading the skill/level tables in the BG2 manual helped me through those nasty initial install times!

Draft

It's disappointing that there's so many interface problems. You would think, after KOTOR and JE having basically the same inventory system, and having spent so much time making Mass Effect, that they would have noticed a few bonehead problems like items not stacking and having to dust items in chests because your inventory is full.

I hate that my inner PC gamer is expecting a zero day patch :lol

I plan on picking ME up tomorrow. But I'll be honest, I'm a framerate junky. Not by choice though; my eyes just notice it easily, even if I'm having an absolute blast playing. There is no way in hell I'm passing this game up because of it, but lately I've been learning that it's a lot worse than I initially thought. That sucks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You'd think Bioware would have perfected their "console interface design" by now, but whatever. Gimme.

temp

posting on contract only
Y2Kev said:
You'd think Bioware would have perfected their "console interface design" by now, but whatever. Gimme.
Yeah, it is pretty weird. Somehow I don't think I'll care though.

negitoro7

Mass Effect or CoD4 + Assassin's Creed (BestBuy bundle)?

I shouldn't spend too much money on games, this has been an expensive month for me.

Zzoram

It's too bad they don't at least group items in your inventory, or give you the option to clear the crappy stuff in there instead of liquifying the new loot. I have no idea what they must've been thinking when they did that.

Zzoram

Draft said:
It's disappointing that there's so many interface problems. You would think, after KOTOR and JE having basically the same inventory system, and having spent so much time making Mass Effect, that they would have noticed a few bonehead problems like items not stacking and having to dust items in chests because your inventory is full.

I hate that my inner PC gamer is expecting a zero day patch :lol

If there is a zero day patch that fixes the inventory management, I will be very happy :D I don't care if it's sloppy, I just want the fix.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I will never buy an 8.5 game. Preorder cancelled. In fact I'm selling my 360 to as I would not even want to be associated with a system that would play host to an 8.5 game.

GreekWolf

VALKYRAY said:
so, assassin's creed is better than mass effect, huh?
Well, if you're going by Gamespot then it's like this- Forza 2 > Assassin's Creed > Mass Effect > Uncharted > Ratchet & Clank

Not exactly how I would rate em', but whatever.

Rezbit

Spire said:
I will never buy an 8.5 game. Preorder cancelled. In fact I'm selling my 360 to as I would not even want to be associated with a system that would play host to an 8.5 game.

:lol :lol :lol That's fucking awesome.

watership

If this game has really raised the bar, presentation wise. The music alone is the best this year. Better than the Halo 3 soundtrack. Now I feel dirty.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does this game come out everywhere tomorrow or just gamestop? I dont want to go back to that place. Are they the only ones selling the special edition?

duffey

neojubei said:
Does this game come out everywhere tomorrow or just gamestop? I dont want to go back to that place. Are they the only ones selling the special edition?
Should be tomorrow, and the special edition is only online as far as I know.

Also I see you finally decided to get the game!

Top Bottom