• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Feindflug

I've found the Collector's Edition in a local store here in Athens but I haven't enough money...tomorrow I'll get it for sure. ^__^

Basch

Feindflug said:
I've found the Collector's Edition in a local store here in Athens but I haven't enough money...tomorrow I'll get it for sure. ^__^

Athens, Greece? :D I know, it may sound like a stupid question, but I really wish there were copies available in stores in the U.S. of A. I need my Collector's Edition.

Oh well, I guess I will have to settle with online.

Draft

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Does anyone who has the game yet know if once a character falls in battle they can be revived? or are they dead till the battle is finished? Thanks.
I believe I saw someone mention somewhere in this thread that maxing out First Aid skill gives the character some kind of battle res that brings a dead NPC back to life mid-fight.

Feindflug

Basch said:
Athens, Greece? :D I know, it may sound like a stupid question, but I really wish there were copies available in stores in the U.S. of A. I need my Collector's Edition.

Oh well, I guess I will have to settle with online.

Yep! Athens, Greece. :)

It was a nice surprise to see the game this early here but on the other hand I didn't have the money to get it today...well I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

JayDubya

Banned
Thyrus said:
Could someone give a rundown of how the various weapons handle? There just seems to be a gap between the pistol types and the assault rifles (or are smg's included in the pistol type?).

I want to play the vanguard class but eh, i've never been big on shotguns really so how good are the pistols in the game?

Pistols are apparently quite reasonably good.

I do not wish to focus in them, however, as on subsequent playthroughs I will want to use classes that do not have anything else BUT Pistols as an option.

Many people love the Shotgun. I have to imagine that the breakdown should be fairly obvious, even without the game in hand. The Pistol talent is nigh ubiquitous, Assault Rifle talent is a class exclusive, Sniper and Shotgun, respectively, are only available to two classes each.

According to anecdotal evidence read on the web (cross-referenced with a common sense filter): Oh, and obviously, if you've played the game, feel free to weigh in.

Sniper Rifles provide very high damage per single shots over the largest range but they also overheat very quickly so the Rate of Fire is low. Sniper rifles are apparently great for large, open terrain, and particularly for taking on some of the monstrously over sized aliens and Geth constructs. Obviously not so great in close quarters. If I'm not mistaken, Assassination lets you make a accurate, high damage shot.

Shotguns provide high damage much like the sniper rifle and also include knockback but they have low accuracy so you have to be close. Also overheat relatively quickly. Carnage is apparently a high impact AoE effect.

Assault Rifles are midrange in terms of damage per shot and range and cooldown, but of course they also make multiple shots fairly quickly. Long bursts are apparently inaccurate, like in other shooters, but unlike in shooters, accuracy is more a function of your character's skill than your twitch skills as a player, i.e. one can max out their AR talent and use an improved version of Overkill to make long, highly accurate bursts with increased damage.

Pistols are reliable and serviceable and Marksman is a badass Ability because it reduces overheating, increases RoF, boosts accuracy, and damage. I believe all Abilities are instant or low-duration effects with considerable recharge times before you can use them again. It would seem that Pistol requires minimal investment for the player to reap benefits, and the Pistol is a fairly accurate weapon with adequate damage, and one would want to use Marksman or some improved or augmented version of Marksman liberally in order to get the best benefit out of it.

So, what's the best weapon after all that? Well, what are you after?

Personally, I'm thinking I want to focus Assault Rifle for midrange and Shotgun for close range. We'll see how that goes. Maybe I'd rather have Sniper Rifle for long range, Assault rifle for midrange, and Assault Training boosted melee for close range.

Pistols would have to be pretty good because even Vanguards and Infiltrators are going to have to rely on their pistols a lot, at least in the beginning of the game before you can get a kickass shotgun / sniper rifle or have a lot of skill in them so you can make a reasonable number of shots with reasonable accuracy. Those two weapon types are also only suited for very close or very distant combat - pistols and assault rifles are meant to fill in for everything in-between those extremes.

Frank07.jpg

Frank06.jpg

Frank05.jpg

More face pics from a friend who makes them

Draft said:
I believe I saw someone mention somewhere in this thread that maxing out First Aid skill gives the character some kind of battle res that brings a dead NPC back to life mid-fight.

After
You become a Spectre
your given a ability track that has a team revive as one of it's abilities. Comes in handy, I'm still getting use to controlling my teammates and they've died on me numerous times.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Does anyone who has the game yet know if once a character falls in battle they can be revived? or are they dead till the battle is finished? Thanks.
Yes, you can use the "Unity" skill to bring dead NPCs back to life during battle. This skill can be leveled up to increase the amount of health that fallen NPCs revive with.

ALeperMessiah said:
After
You become a Spectre
your given a ability track that has a team revive as one of it's abilities. Comes in handy, I'm still getting use to controlling my teammates and they've died on me numerous times.

Sounds good. I didn't notice but now I do!

This game rocks. "its a pile of amazing!" :lol

JayDubya said:
*Weapons Talk*

Now that I've played the game for a few hours, I would say the two most important things to level up are assault rifles and Sniper Rifles.

I've been focusing on the assault rifle with my shepard and it's really helped, it's a good all-around weapon that you'll find yourself using most of the time.

The shotgun is my second most used weapon, however, even without leveling it up the shotgun is extremely effective. It only takes a few shots and is a good finisher. Plus, for close range combat there is a melee, although I have no idea how to use it yet. (help plz!) :lol

I think the sniper rifle is the second most important thing to level up because it is almost impossible to use the weapon effectively at its base level. Your reticle bounces all over the place and landing a shot feels more like luck than it does skill.

JayDubya

Banned
ALeperMessiah said:
The shotgun is my second most used weapon, however, even without leveling it up the shotgun is extremely effective. It only takes a few shots and is a good finisher.

Interesting, maybe I'll use it in a pinch, then. Like I said, it kind of depends on how well Shepard can melee.

Plus, for close range combat there is a melee, although I have no idea how to use it yet. (help plz!)

I've heard two different things.

a) You automatically melee attack an enemy if you try to Storm (i.e. run) through them.

b) Close to point blank range, pull the right trigger, and ouila! Pistol whip / rifle butt.

JayDubya said:
I've heard two different things.

a) You automatically melee attack an enemy if you try to Storm (i.e. run) through them.

b) Close to point blank range, pull the right trigger, and ouila! Pistol whip / rifle butt.

Hmm, that makes sense. I guess I never realized it because when enemies charge at me I usually just panic and die.

JayDubya

Banned
ALeperMessiah said:
Hmm, that makes sense. I guess I never realized it because when enemies charge at me I usually just panic and die.

Yes, well, I want to be charging at them, gung ho, with the armor and health and talent allocation to make such a proposition not only feasible, but effective and efficient. :D

I've heard that some people have squad AI trouble and your fellow "good guys'" AI is not particularly bright about playing defensive or playing smart. So that leaves you with two prospects: baby sit your team, consigning yourself that if you don't, they will repeatedly keel over... OR, provide the enemies with an alternate target. :lol We'll see how well this works out once I get started playing this game. On like, Sunday. >_>

Sephon

Definitely the most awsome game I've ever played before, it's really the only game that comes close to KOTORs greatness, and even whips it in most areas.

I just wish the storyline was a bit longer, and that there were more hidden story dialoges and character developement (story-wise) with your teammembers.
But I guess they'll save the things that'll make this triology shine brighter than any star, for the second or third iteration.

Well... Back to finish my third playthrough, I guess.

temp

posting on contract only
Sephon said:
Definitely the most awsome game I've ever played before, it's really the only game that comes close to KOTORs greatness, and even whips it in most areas.

I just wish the storyline was a bit longer, and that there were more hidden story dialoges and character developement (story-wise) with your teammembers.
But I guess they'll save the things that'll make this triology shine brighter than any star, for the second or third iteration.

Well... Back to finish my third playthrough, I guess.
So it's the best game ever but it's not as good as KotOR?

Sephon

temp said:
So it's the best game ever but it's not as good as KotOR?

Well, it's the best game ever, but there's still some parts that I adore in KotOR that'll probably never be beaten. Character development and "hidden" dialogs is two of them.

temp

posting on contract only
Sephon said:
Well, it's the best game ever, but there's still some parts that I adore in KotOR that'll probably never be beaten. Character development and "hidden" dialogs is two of them.
OK, just as long as it's the best game ever.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Mass Effect Limited Collector`s Edition (XBOX 360) - Web Only (im in canada so it was web only).

Status = shipped

God i cant wait

FrankT

Still kind of wondering why they never did a demo for this game. It could potentially have the effect in the same realm the Bioshock demo had at the time.

Big demos can lead to big things on the 360.

Meier

What I assumed had to be the best game ever is on the way from GameFly.. woo! Hopefully it gets here by Wednesday. It'll be hard to top Mario Galaxy in best game ever-ness.

temp

posting on contract only
Buggy Loop said:
Mass Effect Limited Collector`s Edition (XBOX 360) - Web Only (im in canada so it was web only).

Status = shipped

God i cant wait
"Processing"? "Processing"???? FUCKING SHIP IT YOU GAMESTOP SOBs

TOMORROW, BITCHES! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! :D :D :D

PARTY TIME!

PSYCHED.gif

bmansmall.gif

mx0hu1.gif

jaehoon49cq.gif

PARTY PARTY PARTY HARD! PARTY IN A DUDE'S BACKYARD! PARTY PARTY PARTY NICE! PARTY HARD TO BE PRECISE! :D :D :D

So what's the deal with Penny Arcade. Their first two days of nitpicks seemed like they were just that, but their rant about it today seems a little more serious. Bad menus, inventory management, no tutorial etc... very mixed impressions.

jet1911

Zzoram said:
does the IGN video review have spoilers? I keep hearing the GT one has one significant spoiler.

There are no significant spoilers in the GT review unless you're hyper sensitive about spoilers.

Undeux

I'm hearing more complaints today about the lack of a tutorial (Penny Arcade-fueled, probably) - is this really an issue? Does anyone who has played the game have any advice about things that are difficult to figure out without a tutorial, like control tips, abilities that are hard to figure out, etc?

MGHA

Undeux said:
I'm hearing more complaints today about the lack of a tutorial (Penny Arcade-fueled, probably) - is this really an issue? Does anyone who has played the game have any advice about things that are difficult to figure out without a tutorial, like control tips, abilities that are hard to figure out, etc?

Ive been told, you get a few tool tips here and there, but besides that, your on your own.

zenbot

Undeux said:
You get a few tooltips for basic stuff, but they do really throw you in at the deep end. It took me maybe an hour of playing to get my head around most of the game's basic concepts. It's worth actually putting the difficulty on easy until you get an idea of how you're meant to play as even on normal the enemies will ream you if you give them the chance.

JB1981

just got the call. picking up the game tomorrow. gonna try and finish AC and start this up over the thanksgiving holiday

Top Bottom