• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

soco

Prvt.Pegleg said:
Is this still going to be a trilogy? I checked the OP and didn't find anything.

it's supposed to be, but i'm sure if it somehow amazingly bombs or perhaps the sequel bombs, it may not be.

Nab

Ok then...

A question for anyone who has tried every class...

If you had to put all the classes in order of how powerful they are, what would you put them at?

A lot of people are saying that if I play Sentinel I'll just get screwed over the entire game. Is that true?

Edit: Because I was sorta planning on doing like... My first playthrough on the easiest difficulty on Sentinel and absorbing as much of the game as I can in the Paragon side of things... Then going Adept, taking one of the Sentinel's tech abilities like the First aid thing along for a playthrough on Hardcore where I go through being totally renegade. And then I'd try for a playthrough on Insanity mode, carrying an Adept biotic power over onto a Soldier to try and make the strongest badass I can and mop up any remaining achievements.

Is that going to work out well for me? Or will I never even get through a first playthrough on a Sentinel?

zenbot

Caspel said:
I loved the codex and it fills in the history of all the races, wars, technology, race, fighting tactics, planets and everything you can imagine. I loved it.
The codex is seriously nuts. And I can't believe that the primary entries are narrated! I shudder to think how many hours of VA BioWare recorded for this game.
#5 - I wish it didn't have the Gears of War texture loading fault, sometimes my characters looked like they were from a tech demo.
Yeah, texture loading issues are more prevalent in ME than any other UE3 game I've played. It's pretty brutal. And I wish that, for once, BioWare would put out a console RPG with a reasonably consistent framerate. The game looks beautiful in screenshots and mostly gorgeous in motion, but typical KOTOR-esque slight jerks and starts mar the experience.

I was browsing through the Best Buy and CC ads today, and I noticed that everyone says that Mass Effect will be in stores ON Tuesday. But my CE order from EBStop is shipping on Tuesday (overnight)... what the fuck? Why is a specialty store like EB/GameStop getting it a fucking a day late? What a load of horseshit. Does EBStop ever ship early?

S1kkZ

i am really worried about the whole texture reloading thing.
is it like halo 2 or even worse?

does it really happen after every camera-angle change?

Uhm, ok. I was just checking out the Mass Effect CE page at EBGames.com, and up top near the price, it says "Pre-Release Ships 11/20/07" (that would be Tuesday, the day everyone else says they're going to have it IN store). Then further down, it says "We pride ourselves on making sure you get the latest games first. Pre-order by November 19 at 11:00 am CST and choose overnight shipping for guaranteed delivery on November 20. If your package doesn’t arrive on the street date we will fully refund your shipping charges…and cry."

So it is going to be shipped on Monday and delivered on the 20th, or what? Fucking EB.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
my review will be up by 9 pm tonight. My second review will be up tomorrow with the embargo is removed at 9am. I love discussing this game.

There's no doubt about it, the texture loading is probably the worst aspect of the game but it didn't stop me from loving the game. It's just too noticeable.

zenbot

S1kkZ said:
does it really happen after every camera-angle change?
Nah, and it's nowhere near as bad as I remember Halo 2 being. It happens often enough to notice it, but not often enough to ruin the game.

jvalioli

CastleBravo said:
Uhm, ok. I was just checking out the Mass Effect CE page at EBGames.com, and up top near the price, it says "Pre-Release Ships 11/20/07" (that would be Tuesday, the day everyone else says they're going to have it IN store). Then further down, it says "We pride ourselves on making sure you get the latest games first. Pre-order by November 19 at 11:00 am CST and choose overnight shipping for guaranteed delivery on November 20. If your package doesn’t arrive on the street date we will fully refund your shipping charges…and cry."

So it is going to be shipped on Monday and delivered on the 20th, or what? Fucking EB.
Yes, and if it doesn't you get a refund on your shipping. It is very clear.

S1kkZ

Caspel said:
There's no doubt about it, the texture loading is probably the worst aspect of the game but it didn't stop me from loving the game. It's just too noticeable.

oh no. why is it so bad?

Caspel

S1kkZ said:
oh no. why is it so bad?

because I spent a lot of my time in the equipment/squad menus and it's the worst there. It happened in a few cinematics and after I would load up from one area to another.

Scribble

So how is the character party compared to the KOTOR games, personality wise? Are any of them bland personality-wise and useless (Is there another Juhani in there somewhere)? Do they have interesting pasts like Kreia? Do they have good chemistry with each other?

Caspel

Scribble said:
So how is the character party compared to the KOTOR games, personality wise? Are any of them bland personality-wise and useless (Is there another Juhani in there somewhere)? Do they have interesting pasts like Kreia? Do they have good chemistry with each other?

Well if there's a Juhani this time around, it would have to be Kaiden. The rest all are opinionated and outspoken, especially Ashley and Wrex at a few key moments. Though, Kaiden will speak his mind to you about mission decisions if you have the time to go down in the Normandy and talk to him.

I've seen a lot of pop-in on videos I've seen at gamersyde or gametrailers. Its not a prolonged thing, but it definitely is noticeable.

Hey ho, such is life. Is the embargo on reviews up tomorrow?

-Rogue5-

I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet, but BestBuy.ca Mass Effect Collector's Edition orders were mailed out today (if not earlier.) Or at least mine and two of my buddies's orders were sent out.

Can't wait until tomorrow (or Tuesday at the latest.)

Caspel

sionyboy said:
I've seen a lot of pop-in on videos I've seen at gamersyde or gametrailers. Its not a prolonged thing, but it definitely is noticeable.

Hey ho, such is life. Is the embargo on reviews up tomorrow?

Teamxbox will have their's at 9am. eastern supposedly. My second review will be up at 12pm eastern at the publication I freelance for.

Though, my first review should be up around 9-10pm tonight since the director of the site didn't receive any embargoes on his part I guess so he feels fine with posting it - or whatever.

Caspel said:
Teamxbox will have their's at 9am. eastern supposedly. My second review will be up at 12pm eastern at the publication I freelance for.

Though, my first review should be up around 9-10pm tonight since the director of the site didn't receive any embargoes on his part I guess so he feels fine with posting it - or whatever.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Scribble

Caspel said:
Well if there's a Juhani this time around, it would have to be Kaiden. The rest all are opinionated and outspoken, especially Ashley and Wrex at a few key moments. Though, Kaiden will speak his mind to you about mission decisions if you have the time to go down in the Normandy and talk to him.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I thought Kaiden would be another Carth.

What about Liara? She seemed quite boring and Juhanish from one of the videos I saw (And I'm not talking about the 'lesbianism'), although I know that every character has to be different.

Dalauz

Scribble said:
Ah, I see. Thanks. I thought Kaiden would be another Carth.

What about Liara? She seemed quite boring and Juhanish from one of the videos I saw (And I'm not talking about the 'lesbianism'), although I know that every character has to be different.
Liara/Tali is the best combo. All the support/debuff you need.

character wise there is some Mulder-Scully esque going on

Lebron

should be getting the game tomorrow, but with a test scheduled for tomorrow and a 30 page paper due the following day, it's going to have to collect dust on my desk till Wednesday:lol

Caspel

Dalauz said:
Liara/Tali is the best combo. All the support/debuff you need.

character wise there is some Mulder-Scully esque going on

Liara is a great addition to the game -- she helps unfold the story, but that is all I will say to save spoilers. Tali can be boring once she joins the team, but she often talks the most when you take her on the missions. Outside of the missions, Tali just talks about her people and technology which can drag on.

Kaiden just didn't have much to add to the story imo. He was sometimes dry as a board.

If anyone out there knows of a place in Broome County, NY selling Mass Effect early, PM me. That will make my decision between Mass Effect and Guitar Hero II for me:lol

Surfheart

Daaaaaaaamn, I loved the encounter with
The matriarch. Shepard says "I guess we wont be solving this peacefully" or something and she says "Indeed"
Then the wicked 80's ish scifi synth music starts up. Just that combined with the cinematic angles they used was one of those wow moments for me.

That encounter was tough as hell too, I had quite a few retries.

Odrion

Banned
^^^ Speaking of which,
did I kill a bunch of innocent people when I hit that pulse nova cleansing thing after Benzia's death?

Also damn, I went from broke as fuck to wealthy with all the shit I picked up on this planet. :lol

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I like the storyline thus far but it is a blatant rip-off of The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. I don't really mind because if you have to plunder from Sci-Fi books you might as well plunder from the best, plus it's about as close as I'm going to get to a game based on the books.

does anyone know if the collectors edition (online only) is for pre-orders only? or will they still sell it after?

i ask because this game is #1 on my gamefly (at which point i will "keep it") but if they dont send it ill just buy it from amazon. kinda wanted the collectors edition though

Caspel

GreekWolf said:
While it is indeed a fine review, I think I'm actually more fascinated by the fact that your name is Dakota Grabowski.

LOL, well is that because it's combining an Native American/Indian first name with a polish last name?

Kind of like if I had a name like say... Frank Funaki..

Fjord

Witchfinder General said:
I like the storyline thus far but it is a blatant rip-off of The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. I don't really mind because if you have to plunder from Sci-Fi books you might as well plunder from the best, plus it's about as close as I'm going to get to a game based on the books.

Hurrah, the Night's Dawn Trilogy are my favourite novels.

methodman

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
does anyone know if the collectors edition (online only) is for pre-orders only? or will they still sell it after?

i ask because this game is #1 on my gamefly (at which point i will "keep it") but if they dont send it ill just buy it from amazon. kinda wanted the collectors edition though

FMT, supposedly the Collectors Edition for this game is actually a true CE because they are not manufacturing that many copies. I think you should purchase it from Amazon if you can.

GreekWolf

Caspel said:
LOL, well is that because it's combining an Native American/Indian first name with a polish last name?.
Nothing that cogitative, I was just thinking how perfect your name would be for the next Die Hard villain.

MCermak

Witchfinder General said:

Interesting. You should elaborate more on this, unless it's too much of a spoiler. Of course, we're 24 hours from the game coming out, so I suppose I can discover it for myself. That definitely makes me even more excited though.

From the premise of Mass Effect I can see A LOT of possible star control 2 influence. The finding of advanced technology from an ancient dead race, relative "newbiness" of humanity, a race of blue skinned sexy ladies (etc, etc). Also scanning of planets on the galaxy map reminds me of SC2 a lot as well. A great game to borrow from, though.

temp

posting on contract only
I'm gonna download the commercial on XBLM tomorrow and watch it over and over and over again until I fall asleep.

GavinGT

Banned
Game of the Year is going to be a very tough decision this year. I'd just as easily give it to Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, or Super Mario Galaxy.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
MCermak said:
Interesting. You should elaborate more on this, unless it's too much of a spoiler. Of course, we're 24 hours from the game coming out, so I suppose I can discover it for myself. That definitely makes me even more excited though.

Oh, you'll see. The only major difference I can see thus far is that ME has a main bad guy whilst The Night's Dawn Trilogy was far broader with it's adversaries.

Nab

Nab said:
Ok then...

A question for anyone who has tried every class...

If you had to put all the classes in order of how powerful they are, what would you put them at?

A lot of people are saying that if I play Sentinel I'll just get screwed over the entire game. Is that true?

Edit: Because I was sorta planning on doing like... My first playthrough on the easiest difficulty on Sentinel and absorbing as much of the game as I can in the Paragon side of things... Then going Adept, taking one of the Sentinel's tech abilities like the First aid thing along for a playthrough on Hardcore where I go through being totally renegade. And then I'd try for a playthrough on Insanity mode, carrying an Adept biotic power over onto a Soldier to try and make the strongest badass I can and mop up any remaining achievements.

Is that going to work out well for me? Or will I never even get through a first playthrough on a Sentinel?

No one? Nobody here has played a Sentinel at all?

Odrion

Banned
Caspel said:
LOL, well is that because it's combining an Native American/Indian first name with a polish last name?

Kind of like if I had a name like say... Frank Funaki..
Holy shit, you have the coolest name ever.

Like, graphical noir cool.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ndiicm said:
Woo beat this game earlier completed quite a few side missions but still had several left had 1,000,000 plus credits in the bank but never bought anything.

Earned paragon status. Played as an Infiltrator/War hero. I played the game as a goody two shoes so I hit paragon pretty quickly.
That's the same setup I did and so far I'm having a blast. Once I'm done I'll probably do another run through as the complete opposite.

Surfheart

GavinGT said:
Game of the Year is going to be a very tough decision this year. I'd just as easily give it to Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, or Super Mario Galaxy.

Yep it sure will. Although for me it's down to ME and Galaxy, and I haven't played Galaxy yet.

Zzoram

Nab said:
No one? Nobody here has played a Sentinel at all?

Sentinals are probably hard to start, but I suspect they'll be fine. You just have to invest a lot of points into combat skills early on, and probably do most of the side quests to try to gain a lot of levels.

Sectus

Regarding the length of the game. I completed the game yesterday and I'm fairly sure I did every quest in the game (my journal only listed one quest, but I couldn't hand it in as the NPC had died). The savegame showed I had spent exactly 40 hours just before finishing the game. Although the real time is probably a bit less since I left the game on several times to do misc chores.

traveler said:
People have talked about how weak the Sentinel is; what about the Adept and Engineer? Are they underpowered as well or are they actually viable classes? (I'm thinking of either going Adept or Infiltrator)
Nab said:
The thing is that most classes has the pistol and armor attribute, which are great abilities to fall back on. The pistol is actually a lot more powerful than it sounds and can easily be used as your primary way to deal damage. The armor attribute makes your armor better and gives an ability to instantly recharge your shields, VERY handy.

Now then, sentinel is the only class which does not have the pistol and armor attributes. It's good at stunning specific foes, but when playing as a sentinel you'll have to depend 100% on your allies to deal the damage and you have less ways to mitigate incoming damage compared to other classes.

Besides sentinel I'm fairly sure all the other classes are pretty good. From what I've played, I get the impression Adept, Vanguard, Infiltrator and Soldier are the best classes.

I haven't tried Engineer's exclusive abilities, but after playing infiltrator I got the impression the engineer skills are the weakest offensive skills in the game, so engineer would probably have to play as a soldier using pistol 90% of the time and occasionally use a few of their unique skills. (infiltrator is definitely better than engineer as they have access to medium armor and to the sniper rifle, which is a great weapon)

Sectus

IronicallyTwisted said:
Engineers do more damage than Adepts.
You sure about that?

Engineers have several skills which deals some small splash damage, but I'd give the upper hand to Adepts as most of their spells deal damage and stuns enemies for a rather long time. Throw also has the potential to insta-kill enemies if you manage to throw them off a rail or out of the level.

Top Bottom