• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Synless

Does anyone know how to do that monkey trick, because I've searched all of them now and gotten the data module from the last one and it didn't work on any of them.

Just got mine here in the UK. Messed around with the face gen then plumped for default male shepard. Just done the first planet so to speak. God this game is hot.

Pretty. Very pretty with great voice acting and a story that is surprisingly engrossing.

The controls are brutal though. I feel like the main character is akin to steering a hovercraft around and the combat was chaotic and difficult to follow.

After about the three to four hour mark, combat started to "click". It's no GRAW and it's a shame people are going to compare the combat to that. It's an RPG. A typical Bioware RPG with sloppy controls that they somehow manage to still make incredibly addictive.

This is definitely not a game for the noobs, but man...I'm loving this.

As for the complaints about the problems they had putting everything on one disc. The voice overs in the primary section of the codex take up space and definitely could have been left out.

With all that said. I'm officially hooked and loving it.

tak

Synless said:
How is it that you do this, because everytime I do this you can only search it once and nothing happens, is there a certain monkey you have to do this to?
The monkey you're look for is in a mining tunnel. It's inside the last room in the tunnel, the one on the right hand side. It got stuck behind a few boxes for me, so make sure to check around the room.

EDIT: oops, I did not notice you found it.

gandm

Damn it, I've just bought Mass Effect here in Switzerland, and like all the latest big releases from Microsoft the game is only in German (without stating so on the back of the dvd) :(

If anyone here wants to have my copy for a reduced price, feel free to PM me, I won't play this shit.

duckroll

My camera sucks, hope to get better pics eventually. Here's my Steve Sherpard.

6oweemt.jpg

Beaulieu said:
well I found 20/21 keepers in the citadel... cant find the last one.

im leaving the citadel, I hope I can come back later to complete the quest.
Shit I am missing the last keeper too. I noticed one is asleep inside the citadel and there is another by one of those holographic machines and the hologram won't let you bother him when you try to scan him.

White Man

NOOOOOOOOOO I was just leaving the Citadel after finishing it up and and RED RINGS! A RGRHJRKSJUhlkgsixfdjgbpdhfbgipohdihdafgiohjdsihjdfguj so frustrating, I had been up all night, playing for hours. I WAS IN LOVE!!!!

Ark-AMN

Banned
White Man said:
NOOOOOOOOOO I was just leaving the Citadel after finishing it up and and RED RINGS! A RGRHJRKSJUhlkgsixfdjgbpdhfbgipohdihdafgiohjdsihjdfguj so frustrating, I had been up all night, playing for hours. I WAS IN LOVE!!!!
hmm, I see I'm still going to have to be very careful when purchasing this system. How annoying after two years it's still happening. Damn MS

Tieno

White Man said:
I can feel the blade piercing through your heart :(

watership

Ark-AMN said:
hmm, I see I'm still going to have to be very careful when purchasing this system. How annoying after two years it's still happening. Damn MS

I don't see how being careful will matter at all.

Ark-AMN

Banned
watership said:
I don't see how being careful will matter at all.
Well, hopefully I can find one of the systems that has the cooler internal architecture. Unless now those too are broken as well. :(

White Man said:

If it makes you feel better, I got a dirty disc error one time, but thankfully it was only once and I'm still enjoying the shit out of Mass Effect.

Ark-AMN said:
The accuracy of that statement really depends on how old White Man's 360 is.

White Man

Psychotext said:
The accuracy of that statement really depends on how old White Man's 360 is.

It was from about 20 days after 360's launch. It was a replacement for my launch unit, which didn't make it past the two week mark before kicking the bucket. So it is effectively a launch unit. It has been acting up for the better part of a half year. The writing has been on the wall; it just had to happen at the worst possible time, though.

watership

Ark-AMN said:
Well, hopefully I can find one of the systems that has the cooler internal architecture. Unless now those too are broken as well. :(

Just buy it at a store with a warranty. Lots of people have launch 360s still. If you buy a recent one, I don't think you have to worry too much about it :)

Ark-AMN

Banned
White Man said:
It was from about 20 days after 360's launch. It was a replacement for my launch unit, which didn't make it past the two week mark before kicking the bucket. So it is effectively a launch unit. It has been acting up for the better part of a half year. The writing has been on the wall; it just had to happen at the worst possible time, though.
Ah ok, that makes me feel better. :D

Oh yeah, sorry for your loss.

White Man said:

Same here, just as I begun playing Mass Effect.

The weird thing is.. I just leave it sitting there with the red lights on for a minute or so, restart it and it's fine.

Beaulieu said:
Hi

What happens if a squadmate is killed during combat ? Is he gone forever ?

Can they be 'killed' ? my experience so far is they just get knocked out until the battle is over, or you revive them

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
How do you go about beating that stupid matriarch bitch. She (and all her commandos) resists EVERY spell I do and the end result of this fight ends with me being tossed around. 40 fucking tries. Every fight they eliminate the ability for me to do any action. WTF is that?! The least they could do is let me switch people. I have that bitches daughter with me because this game set me the fuck up and requested i bring her along.

Quazar

Wow this game becomes real Epic once leaving Citadel. I mean from the galaxy map to the planets to the stories of the planets.(Music story, just about everything) Not to mention the surprises on the planets,
(wow at the mob popping while I'm just riding along, think it was called Maw Thrasher?)
great fucking game.

I started to doubt Mass Effect in last month or so, but this will prob be my GOTY. My main complaint is the frame rate, fucking Bioware needs better optimizers. 20 hours in And I've only finished maybe 1 solar system. :lol

Big-E

Quazar said:
I started to doubt Mass Effect in last month or so, but this will prob be my GOTY. My main complaint is the frame rate, fucking Bioware needs better optimizers. 20 hours in And I've only finished maybe 1 solar system. :lol

Holy hell. I thought I was taking my time. I am 11 hours in and have finished 3 star clusters.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My main complaint is the frame rate, fucking Bioware needs better optimizers.
I dunno, I would also like a smoother framerate, but I think it works well enough for this type of game. It's still FAR smoother than KOTOR. When Mass Effect is chugging it feels like normal KOTOR. :\ It's a big improvement.

The whole engine is, really. It feels great.

Quazar

Big-E said:
Holy hell. I thought I was taking my time. I am 11 hours in and have finished 3 star clusters.

Well I've done two Star clusters as well, but only one I'm for sure I completed everything on land planet. Other ones I need to go back and check. But I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything other than couple items I couldn't decrypt.

dark10x said:
I dunno, I would also like a smoother framerate, but I think it works well enough for this type of game. It's still FAR smoother than KOTOR. When Mass Effect is chugging it feels like normal KOTOR. :\ It's a big improvement.

Yea it's fine for the game but some moments just get ruined because of it. I hope for an improvement in 2/3 and maybe even in DLC.

Draft

Even though I am not happy with the frame rate, I must admit that it (so far) has held up admirably in combat, and I haven't yet hit an encounter where I thought it was unfairly difficult because of poor FPS.

Also combat is really fun. I'm not 100% that it's better than KOTOR but it's lightyears beyond JE.

Big-E

GuessWho said:
is it me or is it really hard to get money? mind i just got the normandy so i don't know if money will pick up soon.

I am wondering this too because when I first got to the Citadel I found I could buy basically nothing except for some shit weapons and armor.

Cloudy

Banned
SPEA said:
I honestly can barely tell the difference. Maybe certain TVs emphasize it more than others.

I have a 32" HDTV. The difference with film grain turned off is like INCREDIBLE. Why would they have that crap as the default?

Sectus

Phthisis said:
Got it in the mail and reached the Citadel. Awesome game so far. The voice acting is incredible (the one that impressed me most so far is the door lady at the consort's place).

I'm kinda wishing I had gone with a female Shepard at this point, but I think I can live with it. Anyone know if new game+ allows you to change your Shepard's model?
Nope, you can't change a thing when restarting a game with an existing character. I really wish it was possible to edit the character's face ingame. The face can look noticably different ingame compared to the character screen, but it's a chore to go back and recreate the face to try to do a small edit.

Anyway, when you've completed the game once you'll wanna create a whole new character anyway.
After getting a few of the mastery achievements you'll be able to select one bonus attribute for any new character. So you could for instance create an Adept using a sniper rifle if you've got the sniper rifle achievement.

Synless said:
Does anyone know how to do that monkey trick, because I've searched all of them now and gotten the data module from the last one and it didn't work on any of them.

Can't say for certain if was the monkey with the data module (though I'm pretty sure it was), because there's two monkeys there if I recall.

I haven't looked back in this thread (too busy playing the game), but has anyone else been able to get this trick/bug to work? Because when I did it, I had just saved the game after I retrieved the module, turned the system off for a bit and when I resumed, I noticed I was still able to target s monkey and I just kept hitting the "A" button.

Big-E

One little thing that kind of bothers me right now is choosing the paragon dialog trees. I have pumped talents into my charm every chance I get and when the paragon tree is available I use that. My problem stems from the fact that the dialog seems to get pretty putrid when you choose it. Shepard doesn't seem to present good arguments or sound convincing yet they always go along.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
dark10x said:

how far are you? I want to know if you think this after noveria.

Big-E

Quick question. When you first get the Normandy you have a choice to go to 3 different areas to progress the story it seems. Which one would you guys recommend to do first?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Big-E said:
Quick question. When you first get the Normandy you have a choice to go to 3 different areas to progress the story it seems. Which one would you guys recommend to do first?

I think finding the scientist is easiest, but it requires a bit of exploration. I did Noveria and found it a bit challenging actually. Feros so far has been easy. I'm on the boss fight now.

Artie

I've read the reviews, and I love the setting and character customization...but the camera and gameplay looks awkward.

How is it in actuality?

Top Bottom