• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:
Bioware said a lot of things about the game. In their early demos they showed tactical individual placement of team members. They also showed that you could interrupt conversions by choosing a reply before the person had finished talking, like that scene where you grab the alien bartender and pull out your weapon and threaten him.

I'm sure you can try to play the game as a shooter, but it's not a shooter and that's obvious. There are some confrontations, like
the fight against the Matriarch
where you'd just get smoked repeatedly unless you paused the game and played tactically.

It took me about 5 hours before I realized that this feature was gone. I remember seeing that movie like a year ago where it showed the developer pausing the game and strategically giving commands to his team. I thought that was how the gameplay was going to be and I was really excited about it until I bought the game yesterday! Needless to say I was disappointed that the gameplay had turned into a mediocre FPS with some semi-cool abilities to play with, but its still pretty fun. The graphics, music and story make up for the boring combat for me.

GenericPseudonym said:
Apparently a dev could speed run it down to about six, knowing where to get the best stuff, avoiding conversations, skipping cutscenes, running past battles and only doing what was absolutely necessary to finishing the main quest. Though that's not a good way to enjoy the game.

Nope, I think the fastest internal speed run was 14 hours skipping all dialogs.

zombi

Hey bioware, your save system sucks. I dont know how many times Ive gone through the same conversation to initiate something, then die, then do it again. Or when you go from the beginning of the mission to nearly finishing it only to repeat it again. Seriously this save system is archaic. The only solution is to pause and save, if the popping textures and weird load times dont take you out of the experience that sure as hell will. Im pissed cause its frustrated me so many times because of this and I have to stop, turn the game off, and take break so I wont end up resenting the damn thing. Cool game, save system is bending me over a barrel.

Dalauz

neojubei said:
I've finally bought mass effect and turned on my 360 after months of no use. I almost forgot how loud it is. I have to admit the game looks awesome on my samsung lcd.

My character: Amanda Shepard.
DSC01332.jpg
mine: Dala Shepard

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE
SEX SCENE

Sectus

Zefah said:
It took me about 5 hours before I realized that this feature was gone. I remember seeing that movie like a year ago where it showed the developer pausing the game and strategically giving commands to his team. I thought that was how the gameplay was going to be and I was really excited about it until I bought the game yesterday! Needless to say I was disappointed that the gameplay had turned into a mediocre FPS with some semi-cool abilities to play with, but its still pretty fun. The graphics, music and story make up for the boring combat for me.
I viewed an old trailer of the game yesterday (E3 2006 I think), which showed the player could directly control any character in the party, and there were some really fancy lighting effects which are missing from the final game. It also had an awful HUD in that trailer :p

It's interesting to see how the game evolved.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
I viewed an old trailer of the game yesterday (E3 2006 I think), which showed the player could directly control any character in the party, and there were some really fancy lighting effects which are missing from the final game. It also had an awful HUD in that trailer :p

It's interesting to see how the game evolved.

Yeah I think that was the trailer I saw. It got me really pumped for the game, and I basically ignored all information about it since then (other than the release date and some screenshots).

Maybe its because I am playing a Vanguard, but the combat system seems kind of flawed to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it just isn't a whole lot of fun (although blasting a crowd with a shotgun using chemical rounds is pretty gratifying).

I think i am nearing the end and all i can say is
Holy rogue AI batman, its like matrix in space, except the sucking half way through part

Sectus

I think the combat system works fairly well. It definitely has some flaws, and the actual shooting doesn't feel as fun as certain FPS games. But it's just sooo much better than the bland combat systems which RPGs usually has. Clicking on a warrior to hack a orc, a cleric to spam the heal spell and a wizard to spam the fireball spell is something I'd prefer to never experience again.

xbhaskarx

I have 19 friends online right now:
-12 ME
-2 Halo 3
-2 Rock Band
-2 Dashboard
-1 CoD4

Of course that isn't representative of the average consumer, but the only other games that have been like this are Halo 3 and CoD4...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
I think the combat system works fairly well. It definitely has some flaws, and the actual shooting doesn't feel as fun as certain FPS games. But it's just sooo much better than the bland combat systems which RPGs usually has. Clicking on a warrior to hack a orc, a cleric to spam the heal spell and a wizard to spam the fireball spell is something I'd prefer to never experience again.

Maybe I just am not playing it right. I tend to let me teammates do their own thing, but that leads to them not simply not using a lot of their powerups and abilities. I think if this game allowed you to switch between the characters in your party on the fly the combat would be magnificent. As it is right now, you need to be able to have a clear view of an enemy with your main character to even be able to tell your party members to use an ability / attack the enemy. It just seems really counterintuitive to be able to control your teammates' actions, but not be able to view the battlefield from their point of view.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I laughed when
A man from the "10th Street Reds", a gang that my Shepard was a member with in his youth, came up to ask me to talk to a guard about letting out a fellow gang member. When I went to the guard to say "there's this dude that's asking about this guy, look into it" and the turian thanks me and says they'll beef up security.

Out comes the original gang member, who swears revenge, by implying that he'll let all the aliens know who you REALLY are (i.e. something bad from "my" youth).

One of the choice options of course, were "Shoot him"

Got the cool "No you won't" BLAM cutscene. Even got commended by the Turian!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I knew I should have done that. I played it by the book...except for letting everyone know that the GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO THEM!

Lonestar said:
I laughed when
A man from the "10th Street Reds", a gang that my Shepard was a member with in his youth, came up to ask me to talk to a guard about letting out a fellow gang member. When I went to the guard to say "there's this dude that's asking about this guy, look into it" and the turian thanks me and says they'll beef up security.

Out comes the original gang member, who swears revenge, by implying that he'll let all the aliens know who you REALLY are (i.e. something bad from "my" youth).

One of the choice options of course, were "Shoot him"

Got the cool "No you won't" BLAM cutscene. Even got commended by the Turian!

He actually tells you that you should have shot him for being a xenophobe if you dont.

Fifty

No. I'm playing on an SD and it's fine. It's just annoying if you came from playing it on a HDTV. The text isn't a problem like it is in a game like Dead Rising. The faces and backgrounds are still spectacular, just obviously as as great as they'd be in HD.

TheWolf

Banned
so i'm retarded and wasn't installing upgrades cause i wasn't sure how to (kept looking for an equip button or something) but now that i figured it out my radioactive pistol + marksman biotic has been tearing all kinds of shit up. the combat is a lot better when you're in open areas with places for cover.

Y2Kev

ashley kicks so much ass

where's the guy on my ship

the normandy is like the Trump tower of ships

MercuryLS

Banned
I want to play this game but I don't have time to get into an RPG. Damn you work!!!

Oh well, maybe over the x-mas holidays I'll pick this up.

Woo-Fu

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Of course that isn't representative of the average consumer, but the only other games that have been like this are Halo 3 and CoD4...

Every halfway decent or better 360 game is like that the first week or two on my friends list. Gears, Forza, R6:V, GRAW/GRAW2, Chromehounds, Saints Row, etc.

I just experienced my first "this game fuckin sucks...turns off system" moment. I got to the
boss battle with Benezia, and it's cheap as hell, the battle took over 30 mins cause my 2 buddies died right in front of her line of fire so what I had to do was resurrect them...move to other corner, while my buddies take her fire and die, I'd take out the reinforcements she sent it, rinse and repeat until I got her all the way down to the last set of reinforcements, so I hide behind cover and this time my cover is blown up so quick and boom I die

I'm really liking this game, but that segment frustrated the shit out of me.

newsguy

Yes, God bless Gamefly's fast return. It turns out where I moved to they have the scanners and Mass Effect is on the way! The beauty of the rush of great games is that I am in no rush to play this and Uncharted so I can rent them. Once I'm done with the backlog I'm going to get deep into Mass Effect.

Hunter D

Sectus said:
Turn the autoaim to low and set your teammate powers to all. Battle system is much better with these settings.

Zzoram

I'm about 6 hours in, and I love this game. I'm playing an Adept on Veteran so I died twice already, but the combat feels better than KOTOR.

Y2Kev

mysticstylez said:
I just experienced my first "this game fuckin sucks...turns off system" moment. I got to the
boss battle with Benezia, and it's cheap as hell, the battle took over 30 mins cause my 2 buddies died right in front of her line of fire so what I had to do was resurrect them...move to other corner, while my buddies take her fire and die, I'd take out the reinforcements she sent it, rinse and repeat until I got her all the way down to the last set of reinforcements, so I hide behind cover and this time my cover is blown up so quick and boom I die

Did that battle 900 times. It was really cheap.

Bioware's boss battles are almost always broken I think. Just beat it and move on. I found that it's best when I charged the center point and then waited it out while I took potshots at people.

Sherveen

I just got to six hours and one minute of play time, and am only now about to lift off from the Citadel for the first time. Completed all the side quests I could, went through all the dialogue, and soaked in every last piece of the beautiful city. I'm absolutely loving every moment of Mass Effect.

It's already my Game of the Year, and I haven't even explored the other planets yet. Save for some game-breaking flaw being introduced, I can't see myself being anything but in love with this game. Gorgeous graphics, amazingly deep and involving story, a developed universe, good combat, simple yet efficient and involving RPG elements, and a true KOTOR "feel" to everything just about wraps up how awesome this cinematic experience truly is.

Fusebox

Banned
mysticstylez said:

I loved that part, it was good to finally enter a battle I didn't win on the first go and it only took a few extra attempts at tweaking my strategy before I got her, and getting her was made more rewarding as a result of the challenge.

Once you realise whats going on in that fight you'll see theres nothing cheap or unbalanced about it, and like all the fights I've had in this game so far, once you've got your rythmn down you can absolutely cane it and make it look cinematic in the process.

Such a cool game...

Just got the Normandy.

This game is pretty fucking awesome, if you ask me.

Y2Kev said:
the normandy is like the Trump tower of ships
Holy shit, dude. I know! It's pretty much my favorite ship in anything -- EVER. It's so fucking class. I love it!

mellowbob

Fifty said:
No. I'm playing on an SD and it's fine. It's just annoying if you came from playing it on a HDTV. The text isn't a problem like it is in a game like Dead Rising. The faces and backgrounds are still spectacular, just obviously as as great as they'd be in HD.

Thanks, I was worried that it was gonna be another dead rising, so glad to hear the text is atleast readable.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Did I miss something about this game? Why do I die so fucking much? I've got as many points put into my armor and health as I can and I still die in like three shots, even while behind cover. It's really starting to get on my fucking nerves.

zombi

Spire said:
Did I miss something about this game? Why do I die so fucking much? I've got as many points put into my armor and health as I can and I still die in like three shots, even while behind cover. It's really starting to get on my fucking nerves.
Yup. Itll get more annoying as you go on. Can someone tell me when the game gets fun again? Im like 5 hours in (thats what it says, but I know its more than that) and playing the same part OVER AND OVER AND OVER isnt fun at all. In fact its ruining the game. Does the combat take something I dont have? Im good enough at games, beat plenty and have enjoyed plenty, so why is this game so god damn frustrating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Spire said:

It does seem really hard to determine what kind of attack does how much damage. I know this isn't the case, but damage assignment almost seems random. I've been hit by a rocket full on and barely took any damage one time, but on another occasion I was slaughtered in two or three shots from a pistol. I'm still not far into the game and I hope I eventually get used to it, but so far combat is really confusing and highly annoying at times. I almost wish there was a way to turn on floating numbers to indicate how much damage is being dealt.

FUUUUCCCKKK

I just got my LCE today and the tin case is fucking CRUSHED. I am SO pissed right now because I have to leave it in the shrink wrap and send it back. That's the first AND LAST time I order something from Gamestop online. My Rock Band set that I got from Amazon on the other hand is FINE.

I hate all you people that get to play Mass Effect right now.

polyh3dron said:
FUUUUCCCKKK

I just got my LCE today and the tin case is fucking CRUSHED. I am SO pissed right now because I have to leave it in the shrink wrap and send it back. That's the first AND LAST time I order something from Gamestop online. My Rock Band set that I got from Amazon on the other hand is FINE.

You can return games through brick and mortar.

chimster

polyh3dron said:
FUUUUCCCKKK

my tin wasn't crushed but the cardboard case that holds the bonus disk and game disk had the corners crushed :(

Roat

Banned
Just finished the game after about a week of having it, like Gabe said sometimes you want to play it and sometimes it frustrates you.

I did the final battle on a lower difficulty setting, I imagine it would have been bloody annoying on a higher one depending on your weapons skills/party with the amount of jumping around he does and how he recharges his shields

The conversation parts and the voice acting were incredible, but I found the combat not quite up to it. Even if you dismiss the combat since it's a semi-RPG there were still technical problems (getting stuck on terrain, slowdown, frequent loading, poor autosaving etc.) that I experienced in Jade Empire/KOTOR. I had thought it was the engine that they were using at the time, but this is a completely new engine and they're running into the same problems. This is the third time to get this right and they haven't, which is why I agree with the 7-8 review scores.

Top Bottom