• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

zombi

CastleBravo said:
Am I the only one finding combat to be a little clunky and rather difficult? I'm playing as a Vanguard, and I'm getting my ass handed to me in many encounters. I try to play it like a tactical shooter (which I'm good at BTW) but everything just happens too fast. I want it to feel like R6:V or GRAW but it just feels so poorly done. I try to take cover but the AI will just rush me and then the framerate goes into the shitter while my squadmates act retarded. Any tips? I love everything about the game so far except the combat.
Switch to soldier, I was having the same problems and switching to soldier allows you to play the game how youre trying to play it. Its still not perfect, but its so much better this way.

Fusebox

Banned
Castle, if you get rushed as a Vanguard, try throwing them back and then giving them a few rounds of the shotty as they get up, it's a god way to stop getting swarmed.

besada

Banned
Favorite Mass Effect technology? The stasis field which stops the team from being violently sick when I hurl them off a cliff in the Mako.

I want to have sex with this game.

subrock

for those looking at which level to do first after the citadel....
noveria
has an EXTREMELY difficult
boss fight
. there isnt much fighting in the game up until then but that shit just rips the bandaid right off. I was wondering if I had gone there way too early in the game. literally 40-50 tries at
fighting the boss

LukeSmith

subrock said:
for those looking at which level to do first after the citadel....
noveria
has an EXTREMELY difficult
boss fight
. there isnt much fighting in the game up until then but that shit just rips the bandaid right off. I was wondering if I had gone there way too early in the game. literally 40-50 tries at
fighting the boss

I was glad I was A. an adept and B. had Liara with me at that part.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man oh man is this game incredible!

Got a call late this afternoon that Mass Effect finally reached my local store and finally picked up my Limited Edition - came across one of my friends along the way, and since he was super-interested in the game as well, I did with a huge favor by going straight to his place with the game on his 360...

We spent five and a half hours messing around with the game - character customization, the menu system, some conversations, the in-game map (brilliantly done with allowing you to set your own way-points), the points system, and weapon and ammo upgrading - we got the basics down pact now... the best part? After all that time, we only finished the very first mission...

Seriously, I had high hopes for the game, and they still managed to impress me even further with the way this game was put together with the menus and such - and it appeals to me so much despite not even liking your average RPG - it's as if they made it just for me or something...

And the dialog system? Incredible to be doing this yourself - no longer are you just being told the story, or sitting through some snorefest - YOU are actually in the story, and you are unravelling and finding things for yourself - if something is unclear, you clear it up yourself by asking more about it... simply brilliant concept right there...

The graphics, the art, the music - one of the many things that hooked me into this game are just wonderful - it already looked great on his widescreen PixelPlus TV, but now that I'm seeing it in 1080p at home, it's better than watching the HD vids, with practically no aliasing over VGA, as I expected...

It's a shame about the texture pop-ins and the slight framerate problems, but like what just about every reviewer said, they do not take away from the experience whatsoever...

Now, back to the very start of the game again, with my completed DX Shepard, really to take on this gorgeous world... thank goodness I'm free tomorrow too! :D

subrock

LukeSmith said:
I was glad I was A. an adept and B. had Liara with me at that part.
leading to my next question , since the AI is pretty useless at combat is it better to have as much biotic as possible to support you or as much combat as possible to protect you? or does liara change the story at that point?

Well, im in OZ and a little short on Cash for even more games right now, is Mass Effect worth trading in three old 360 games (Kameo, PD0 and Dead Rising) to get for just $10 at EBGames?

JdFoX187

Banned
cordonbleu said:
Well, im in OZ and a little short on Cash for even more games right now, is Mass Effect worth trading in three old 360 games (Kameo, PD0 and Dead Rising) to get for just $10 at EBGames?
I'd say so. There are a few problems here and there, but the game is still great nonetheless.

subrock

cordonbleu said:
if you have something equivalent to blockbuster over there apparently they give some good coin for trades.

Capoeira

cordonbleu said:
You do know JB are doing that same deal except there's no more to pay right?

Bildi

Capoeira said:
Indeed. Someone in another thread bought two second hand 360 games at EB for $20 each, and got a third under the deal the EB have going. Then you could trot over to JB, trade them in, and effectively get Mass Effect for $40.

That completely sucks, im in the Country 2 hours out of Sydney and no JB.

Thanks for the sugestions guys, i'll probably keep Dead Rising and swap with Saints Row, im not going to play that again once GTA4 comes out.

Have been looking forward to Mass Effect for so long, but the Gaming Budget is so completely drained atm with Guitar Hero 3, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda PH and Galaxy just next week.

pilonv1

Confidence Man said:
I love the run-in with the tv reporter.
I chose to "shut her up" and Shepherd fucking decked her.
I genuinely laughed.

Where do you find the reporter? I've still got that assignment to finish.

Fusebox

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Where do you find the reporter? I've still got that assignment to finish.

She just came up to me as soon as I got off the Normandy at the Citadel one time, I think it was my 2nd or 3rd return to the Citadel.

VALIS

SPEA said:
General Excitement: I'm so glad we all love this game.

Enthusiasm: The Elcor are the coolest alien sci-fi race ever.

For those browsing the thread and don't know wtf we're talking about, the Elcor are a race of large (they look almost like half elephant/half human), very deep voiced aliens who don't communicate with each other via speech, so they have no vocal inflections or intonation at all, just monotone. So when they talk to non-Elcor, they announce the tone of their upcoming sentence before speaking it. It's pretty amusing.

edit: Elcor pic:
1192040251.jpg

Actually if you want the Asari companion achievement i suggest finding Liara as soon as possible, because i think i did to late and i never got the achievement even if i spent the rest of the game with her always being in my party.

Edit: Oh about the elcor, i think some one wanted to write more dialog for HK 47 except they were either tired of writing for a homicidal maniac or got back on their meds.

mandiller

I found something pretty funny :lol

On Luna
when you kill the VI it spouts off some binary code. I decoded it and it comes out as 'HELP'

Coin Return

Loose Slot
At first I was disappointed that you couldn't land on every planet, but now I find myself genuinely interested in reading every planets description, no matter how mundane it is. Also, I love the music that builds up when you enter the Galaxy Map, it really gives it a surreal, almost eerie sense of space.

Just a completely fascinating game.

GreekWolf

I've now played most of the heavy-hitters this year - Bioshock, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Halo 3, Mass Effect and Heavenly Sword. I haven't had a chance to play Mario Galaxy yet but, for now, Mass Effect is my GOTY.

Microsoft would have done themselves a huge favor by picking up Bioware while the opportunity was there.

I'm sure this had been done to death, but for everything that Mass Effect gets so spectacularly right, it really is a sloppy game. For fun, let's run down some of the problems.

-Autosave is non-existent, meaning an hour can be lost thanks to a one-shot-kill.
-Face shadows are horrible.
-Texture pop-up is beyond horrible.
-Item management is unnecessarily painful.
-Mako has very wonky controls, turning can be a hassle and it jumps around a lot.
-Party AI is not very good.
-One-shot-kills. Come on now.
-Frame rate reminds me of Perfect Dark multiplayer at times.
-Elevators take forever.
-Re-entering the ship takes forever.
-The non-storyline worlds look like pallet swaps of each other.

I'd probably hate Mass Effect if I didn't love it so much...

Big-E

I was getting raped by the pirates who took
Krogan's family armor
. I couldn't do any damage to them it seemed. Was finally able to do it because I lucked out and was able to snipe without them trying to flank. I don't think I should have pumped so many points into charm so early.

Big-E

Anyone know what to do for The Fan sidequest. I have left the citadel now but it still lists as active. I think the guy said he was going to go somewhere outside of the citadel because I don't remember seeing him when I did my final sweep of the citadel.

Really enjoying the game so far. I'm not even off of the Citadel yet because I've been obsessively doing sub-quests. The only thing that really annoys me right now is the squadmate AI in combat. They always run in front of me or get in my way when I'm trying to find cover. I'm also annoyed with myself because my character is weird looking. She looked ok in the character creation, but she is, um, somewhat unfortunate looking in-game. I'm just trying to pretend that's what has made her into such a raging Renegade bitch. :lol

Big-E said:
Anyone know what to do for The Fan sidequest. I have left the citadel now but it still lists as active. I think the guy said he was going to go somewhere outside of the citadel because I don't remember seeing him when I did my final sweep of the citadel.

He appears again. Dont worry.

What i love about this game is that you can pick the renegade solution or use Intimidate and get renegade points for it but you still solve the problem in the best way possible.

Edit: Except i picked the renegade ending for the game just for the points, which really was a bad idea because i am not at all happy with it. But on the other hand i formed an attachment to the character, and she is a soldier so i can easily play through the game again pick the ending i like and get a couple of achievement points for it as well.

pilonv1

Lostconfused said:
What i love about this game is that you can pick the renegade solution or use Intimidate and get renegade points for it but you still solve the problem in the best way possible.

I like that - Renegade/Paragon are separate "skills" and you can gain in both. Makes being evil more fun.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Skilotonn said:
Man oh man is this game incredible!

Got a call late this afternoon that Mass Effect finally reached my local store and finally picked up my Limited Edition - came across one of my friends along the way, and since he was super-interested in the game as well, I did with a huge favor by going straight to his place with the game on his 360...

We spent five and a half hours messing around with the game - character customization, the menu system, some conversations, the in-game map (brilliantly done with allowing you to set your own way-points), the points system, and weapon and ammo upgrading - we got the basics down pact now... the best part? After all that time, we only finished the very first mission...

Seriously, I had high hopes for the game, and they still managed to impress me even further with the way this game was put together with the menus and such - and it appeals to me so much despite not even liking your average RPG - it's as if they made it just for me or something...

And the dialog system? Incredible to be doing this yourself - no longer are you just being told the story, or sitting through some snorefest - YOU are actually in the story, and you are unravelling and finding things for yourself - if something is unclear, you clear it up yourself by asking more about it... simply brilliant concept right there...

The graphics, the art, the music - one of the many things that hooked me into this game are just wonderful - it already looked great on his widescreen PixelPlus TV, but now that I'm seeing it in 1080p at home, it's better than watching the HD vids, with practically no aliasing over VGA, as I expected...

It's a shame about the texture pop-ins and the slight framerate problems, but like what just about every reviewer said, they do not take away from the experience whatsoever...

Now, back to the very start of the game again, with my completed DX Shepard, really to take on this gorgeous world... thank goodness I'm free tomorrow too! :D

Yea I have to agree this game is incredible. The graphical issues suck but I am getting into the story and the graphics when all the textures have loaded are awesome. Finally a space opera in video game form. Brilliantly orchestrated and conducted that results in an opus of awesomeness. Yea, I used awesomeness. I'm not to thrilled on the gun battles, still a newbie at them.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Big-E said:

He hangs out at the upper markets.

Picking
between Ashley and Kaidan was tough as hell for me, I got rid of Ashley cause she never put out, BTW how much more do I have left to go in the game

mysticstylez said:
Picking
between Ashley and Kaidan was tough as hell for me, I got rid of Ashley cause she never put out, BTW how much more do I have left to go in the game

Pretty close to the end. If you want to do any side missions, do them right now or as soon as you can.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
-Autosave is non-existent, meaning an hour can be lost thanks to a one-shot-kill.
That's why I'm here for a bit. :p I just lost a bunch of game time thanks to that. They REALLLLY need some sort of a checkpoint system here.

-Texture pop-up is beyond horrible.
I dunno, I've found that it really only looks terrible when you skip to an area or reload a save. While simply running around, most of the textures are loaded properly. You occasionally see random detail textures popping in, but it really isn't a huge deal.

That's why I'm here for a bit. :p I just lost a bunch of game time thanks to that. They REALLLLY need some sort of a checkpoint system here.

Yeah, I just lost about thirty minutes of fighting through a really long area because of the autosave. And also because of the one-hit-kill shot.

I dunno, I've found that it really only looks terrible when you skip to an area or reload a save. While simply running around, most of the textures are loaded properly. You occasionally see random detail textures popping in, but it really isn't a huge deal.

I see it a lot in cut-scenes and it really bugs me. It's not too bad in the game proper, mostly in loading new areas like you said.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Both the regular and limited edition is on sale at best buy. I'm almost tempted to order the special edition now. I checked ebay and they seem to be selling for hundreds of dollars.

soco

dark10x said:

does Resume still cause you to lose an hour or so?

i thought i'd lost an hour just a bit ago, but then i figured i'd try resume and it started me back where i was just outside of the area where i entered into danger.

jet1911

soco said:
does Resume still cause you to lose an hour or so?

i thought i'd lost an hour just a bit ago, but then i figured i'd try resume and it started me back where i was just outside of the area where i entered into danger.

Resume just load your last save.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can someone tell me what uncharted planets are supposed to look like? I want to go exploring on one, but I can't tell which ones are uncharted. Alternatively, tell me where I could find an interesting one. :D

Zzoram

So I'm fighting Matriarch Benezia and she's impossible. I've reloaded a dozen times. She just kills me so fast, in 1 or 2 shots, I don't know what to do. I'm an Adept and have Garrus and Wrex with me. I survive the first 2 waves, then I'm just stuck hiding in the corner. If I try to step out, she just kills me.

Y2Kev said:
Can someone tell me what uncharted planets are supposed to look like? I want to go exploring on one, but I can't tell which ones are uncharted. Alternatively, tell me where I could find an interesting one. :D

Usually there is one planet in a star system that you can land on, i think thats considered an uncharted planet. But you should have picked up a couple of quests that tell you to go explore a certain start system, which usually means you have to go explore a planet there. Oh also keep an eye out for periodically flashing lights, they are brighter then the starts and they are unknown objects on the map that you need to move the cursor over and use Y to scan.

Edit: My suggestion before anyone tries Noveria is to go level a bit, that would make the fight much easier. But then again i dont think my soldier ever died after a couple of hours into the game, its just silly how many skills you can pick up that would save your ass at the last second.

Zzoram said:
So I'm fighting Matriarch Benezia and she's impossible. I've reloaded a dozen times. She just kills me so fast, I don't know what to do. I'm an Adept and have Garrus and Wrex with me.

What level are you?

I was a level 20ish Vanguard and just used a shotty with chemical rounds the whole time. I had Liara and Ash with me, both using assault rifles. Beat it first try...

Make sure Garrus has a sniper and keep all your upgrades up to par. Also try and keep 3 sides of the room clear. That way you can constantly move between two corners.

Zzoram

I'm a level 15 Adept, and this was the first planet I picked. I'm playing on Veteran. I should've went to Feros first :lol

Top Bottom