• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Beaulieu

well I found 20/21 keepers in the citadel... cant find the last one.

im leaving the citadel, I hope I can come back later to complete the quest.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jet1911 said:
Holy shit, Feros looks awesome. :eek:
I just landed there. I did the other two missions, which means you can skip the third I think, but I want to hit level 50. And Feros is worth it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Finally picked this up and for only $47.99

Haven't played it yet, waiting to get my 32" Olevia HDTV in about 5 hours.

Haklong

The game is awesome for far. I'm having a hard time putting it down. 11 hours in and I just got Liara. Been so busy checking everywhere and getting as many side quest as possible. I just love Bioware games.

Here is my character, Zeed Shepard.

MASSEFFECTHaklong.jpg

Haklong said:
The game is awesome for far. I'm having a hard time putting it down. 11 hours in and I just got Liara. Been so busy checking everywhere and getting as many side quest as possible. I just love Bioware games.

MASSEFFECTHaklong.jpg

Gilbert Arenas?

images-2.jpg

VALIS

The conversation with the
Rachni
after the battle with
Benezia
is SO FREAKIN GREAT. I mean, he
re-animated a dead person and spoke through her all twitching and wobbling, and left me with a massive decision that actually took me several minutes of contemplation to decide!
Soooo gooood. The best part of the game yet.

I didn't mind that battle so much even though a lot of people are hating it. Yeah, it took me 5 or so tries/45 minutes, but it felt real satisfying when I did finish it. You've just got to keep reminding yourself it's an RPG, not a shooter. If you and your teammates just stand still and blast away, you're toast. Use your special talents frequently. Match up your weapons and weapon add-ons to the type of enemy you're facing. etc.

Y2Kev

VALIS said:
The conversation with the
Rachni
after the battle with
Benezia
is SO FREAKIN GREAT. I mean, he
re-animated a dead person and spoke through her all twitching and wobbling, and left me with a massive decision that actually took me several minutes of contemplation to decide!
Soooo gooood. The best part of the game yet.

I didn't mind that battle so much even though a lot of people are hating it. Yeah, it took me 5 or so tries/45 minutes, but it felt real satisfying when I did finish it. You've just got to keep reminding yourself it's an RPG, not a shooter. If you and your teammates just stand still and blast away, you're toast. Use your special talents frequently. Match up your weapons and weapon add-ons to the type of enemy you're facing. etc.

That conversation IS great. What did you end up doing? I was a nice guy. :D
took the flack for it later too :\

The problem with the battle engine-- for me-- is that it's just shootery ENOUGH to cause problems if you are playing it too much to either side. Position matters for most things. Hell, it's critical for biotics. And sometimes that can be a bit daunting because the combat engine isn't the best at handling position. You get stuck on things a lot, and taking cover is clunkier than most shooters and taking cover behind short objects is clunkier still.

I was getting hit from all sides in that battle and it was slowing down and the AI just wasn't doing shit. I managed to get
Benezia to within an inch of her life
like six times and then I'd get stasis'd and they'd just stand there while I got destroyed.

You have to develop a strategy and you may have to try it more than once. I feel this is totally legit. At the same time, I beat many a boss in KOTOR by taking advantage of glitches or running in circles until my force points refilled. I can see the same things happening here.

I agree with the Penny-Arcade commentary on many fronts, btw. Despite this being Bioware's third try, they still make a lot of the same mistakes.

VALIS

Y2Kev said:
That conversation IS great. What did you end up doing? I was a nice guy. :D

:lol Same here. That was nerve wracking.
Am I doing the right thing? Am I sentencing the entire galaxy to their doom?
I... I... I DON'T KNOW. HOLD ME, SHEPARD!

Y2Kev said:
I was getting hit from all sides in that battle and it was slowing down and the AI just wasn't doing shit. I managed to get
Benezia to within an inch of her life
like six times and then I'd get stasis'd and they'd just stand there while I got destroyed.

Yeah, your team AI can be frustrating, their movement particularly. I didn't have a problem with her so much, though. I sent my two teammates to attack her from another angle, they kept her busy while I kept firing away from another angle, took her down in under a minute.

VALIS said:
I sent my two teammates to attack her from another angle, they kept her busy while I kept firing away from another angle, took her down in under a minute.

Sounds...kinky :) Anyways, I'll be picking this up friday..cant wait!

Y2Kev

I wish I had that kind of foresight. I just didn't actually know enemies were entering the room still and it kind of screwed me over. Like, coming over the hill now...oh there's the death screen.

Do you miss some kind of audible "shields depleting" sound like in Halo? I'd almost rather that. The teammates calling "Shields depleted!" is nice but I don't think it happens every time.

It's so weird to be playing a game without regenerating health.

PS I'm going to stipulate that I am in love with the game in the same way I was in love with KOTOR, so my "nitpicks" are merely my observations on things that make me sigh before I blow past them with a smile on my face. The only major problem so far is having to rewatch dialog after reloading.

But OMG talking to your teammates on the normandy is SO GREAT. I love talking to Ashley. I just was like...this is such a real, normal conversation. The way she talks about her family and her faith. If it were real life, I'd be her polar opposite, but it was just awesome to hear.

VALIS

Y2Kev said:
It's so weird to be playing a game without regenerating health.

There is, though. There's the First Aid Interface upgrade for your armor, and there are other methods I'm forgetting. Right now I have the First Aid Interface III on my armor, which gives me +2 health re-gen per second.

That's how I ended up getting through the battle we're talking about, by waiting. If the health is down, I'll sit around and let it recharge. If a party member is dead (and they were, plenty), I'd sit and wait for my Unity to recharge. That's part of what I'm talking about when I say to "play it like an RPG."

Since the movement is kinda clunky, I do kinda wish they made it a turn mode battle system, or at least had that option.

TheWolf

Banned
took a break from the main story to do some side quests and i'm loving it. this is where the game really shines. going around the galaxy, getting into adventures and shit. :D

my few gripes are:

- elevators, they're kinda cool but there are just too many of them
- the animations from going to and from the Normandy. i don't need to see my guy get scanned EVERY time
- inventory inventory inventory
- wish i could group quests by location

so what two party members to people like using? mine usually consists of Ash since i'm going to bed her later. i love trying a different third though. this is why i love cumulative XP. <3

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Whoa, It as though someone got tired of crappy star wars/star trek, BSG games and made what these shows should be like in video game form. I love navigating the Normandy.

Shamrock

Banned
TheWolf said:
took a break from the main story to do some side quests and i'm loving it. this is where the game really shines. going around the galaxy, getting into adventures and shit. :D

my few gripes are:

- elevators, they're kinda cool but there are just too many of them
- the animations from going to and from the Normandy. i don't need to see my guy get scanned EVERY time
- inventory inventory inventory
- wish i could group quests by location

so what two party members to people like using? mine usually consists of Ash since i'm going to bed her later. i love trying a different third though. this is why i love cumulative XP. <3

I think the scanning and elevators are a mask for loading. Instead of giving a loading screen they just show the elevator or the scanning happening. I don't think it was done for show.

ok i have a question. idk if i made a mistake or if the game glitched on me. after the fight in the bar i went to go save the girl and the first time i did it i died. so i tried again and now the door wont own. does anyone know why?

TheWolf

Banned
i know, but i wish i could just warp to inside the Normandy (with loading screen) from anywhere in the Citadel instead of having to go to C-Sec > elevator > Normandy scan room

Its fucking brilliant. Felt a little ho-hum at first but as soon as you leave the Citadel... it lives up to my sky-high expectations.

Thanks for completing the Holy Trinity Bioware.

/goes back to playing.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Jane.jpg

I made my Shepard in to my dream girl, short black hair and blue eyes. I'm in love. Kind of weird seeing this beauty queen running around in combat, but she's a strong woman and she can't be held back.

I use Garrus with a sniper rifle and Wrex with a shotgun, which brings up a point.... When you press up on the D-pad you can send your squad to a point, but as far as I know you can only send them both, and not each individually to two different points. You can probably see where I'm going with this. One guy has a shotgun, the other has a sniper rifle, so if I send them somewhere, at least one of them is going to be ineffective. :/

Surfheart

Haklong said:

MASSEFFECTHaklong.jpg

Wow, he looks awesome! Good job.

chriskun

Just played the first few hours. Definitely some control issues and giving squad commands is a bit janky but goddamned the presentation of this game is amazing. The art style and soundtrack in this game is unprecedented, at least in the sci-fi, rpg genre:lol I played KOTOR about 3 years ago but this game definitely feels like its spiritual successor.

Phthisis

Got it in the mail and reached the Citadel. Awesome game so far. The voice acting is incredible (the one that impressed me most so far is the door lady at the consort's place).

I'm kinda wishing I had gone with a female Shepard at this point, but I think I can live with it. Anyone know if new game+ allows you to change your Shepard's model?

My Shepard:

meshep.png

I went for a sexy bad girl. I might have gone overboard on the lips. I chose the facial+lip scar.

My current team's look:

mecrew.png

As far as the main quest goes, I'm only up to the first mission post-Citadel Station and I'm on Theron looking for Liara. In between I've been doing LOTS of exploration, surveying and side quests.

I'm not a huge shooter fan so I was a touch apprehensive about the battle system before playing but I'm relieved to say it works well, but only when I treat the game like an RPG. Going balls to the wall shooting stuff up led to a handful of deaths for me when I got caught up in it. The system works well when I mix in my biotics, watch my positioning, move from cover to cover and run away when I need to heal up (first aid armor upgrades FTW).

The music is spectacular, the galaxy map tune in particular.

I'm also pretty sure that I've done a crappy job of leveling a few of my characters.

Anyway, I'm loving the game so far.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
1 more day!!!! ARGHHHHH

I've been catching up on 'The Unit' all day, think I might make my Shepard look like:

0000035785_20061116103918.jpg

Jonas Shepard it is...shame the voice wont match.

bendak

The amount of elevators put into this game gets so damn tiring near the end.

Well it's either elevators or a loading screen. They aren't just there to annoy you. At least with elevators you get the news reports and dialog between your squad.

BTW I am 16h30m into the game and I am not even halfway done the story. I keep finding new sidequests constantly. People who claim to have beat it in 12 hours or less.... all I can think is, they never talked to their squad at all, never did any side quests, and skipped a lot of dialog. This will be at least 30 hours for me.

Also I just had the scene where I had to choose between Liara and Ashley. Are you stuck with the choice or later on are you able to go to the other one? If not I guess the other one will be for a second playthrough

regrib

just got the message my copy is ready to be picked up at the store...so excited after reading all these comments and impressions

too bad I have to go to work tomorrow

OMG I just
killed the Rachni Mother
I never felt so dirty. I can't believe I actually had to struggle to make that decision. Thats when you know a game is awesome, when it actually brings out you real life emotions.

mandiller

Quick question for someone who has finished the game *major spoilers*

I just arrived on Ilos after going through the Mu Relay. How far through the game am I? I have the feeling this is it. Can I ever go back and explore the rest of the galaxy or have I already pasted that point?

mxz

Just finished 1st playthrough. WHAT A RIDE. Ending was just... epic. Had a tear in my eye when
Shepard came out of the rubble with that victorious grin.

Talk about some of the toughest choices ever, like the one
where you had to choose between helping Kaiden or Ashley. I went up to help Kaiden thinking that I could save them both. Very tense. When the nuke went off I was like, NO WAY, Ashley's gone! NO WAY! FUCK! She was flirting with me and I've leveled her up to be a heavy hitter, FUCK!

Also, the
sex scene with Liara was nice and cinematic, but the game kept building it up and then postponed it for too long. They were supposed to do it in the chamber behind the med bay, for christs sake!

What's the ending like if you
let the Council die?

Anyway - GOTY.

Sectus

Zefah said:
Yeah I think that was the trailer I saw. It got me really pumped for the game, and I basically ignored all information about it since then (other than the release date and some screenshots).

Maybe its because I am playing a Vanguard, but the combat system seems kind of flawed to me. I can't put my finger on it, but it just isn't a whole lot of fun (although blasting a crowd with a shotgun using chemical rounds is pretty gratifying).
Okay, now I really know what video you were talking about. It's the X06 gameplay demo (not the E3 06 demo), and holy shit...

After watching the video I definitely can understand how you're letdown when playing the final game. That X06 gameplay video is a collection of lies of how the gameplay is. Now then, on the bright side the game has evolved in a positive way in a few regards. Like the voice acting for some of the characters are absolutely awful despite it sounding like the exact same voice actors as the final game. I'm guessing Bioware had to re-do a bunch of voice work and tell the actors to not overdo it. Some of the animations and HUD also looked a lot worse.

But then there's some of the broken promises. They showed an example of how a sidequest on a planet works... and yeah, it doesn't work like that in the final game. There's no sidequests where there's a cutscene right after you land, right before you find/attack some enemies and after you kill those enemies. The side quests don't have that much content. (And they conveniently didn't show any exploration with the Mako, which is definitely the dullest part when doing side quests on uncharted planets)

But most importantly, I REALLY want that combat system. Being able to pause the game and select where each party member will run and take cover with a free camera would be heaven. Being able to directly control each party member would also be really cool.

I would also like to know how Garrus supposedly managed to disable that large Geth in the trailer. I haven't seen how that's possible in the final game at all.

So yeah, that's one of the worst bullshit gameplay demos I've ever seen. I'm glad I didn't see it before playing the game, because I would definitely have felt the combat is a huge letdown compared to what they promised.

Sectus

mandiller said:
Quick question for someone who has finished the game *major spoilers*

I just arrived on Ilos after going through the Mu Relay. How far through the game am I? I have the feeling this is it. Can I ever go back and explore the rest of the galaxy or have I already pasted that point?
Once that mission is done you have one final chance to explore the galaxy.

Edit: Sorry, I mixed up 2 planets. Ilos is the last one, once you start that mission you won't get a chance to explore the galaxy anymore.

mxz said:
What's the ending like if you
let the Council die?
It's not vastly different. It looks like the humans loses less ships in the fight against Sovereign. And at the end you'll see the ambassador and captain Anderson argue about who's going replace the council (and you'll get to choose which of them should be the new leader).

I'm interested to see how this will affect Mass Effect 2. Will the council be completely different in Mass Effect 2 based on whether you save them or not? Or will they chicken out and just have the council die at the beginning of ME2 regardless of your decision in ME1.

I can't belive how awesome this game is. I just got to my first planet (the snowy one) and I'm about 8 hours in, the Mako feels so awesome. The snow levels look better than Lost Planet's as well. This is turning out to be the best RPG I have ever played.

Synless

tracky_dacks said:
Ummm.... I've just been able to max out my Paragon metre by simply hitting the A button to search a monkey in the Mining Tunnels of Elentia (Hercules system). Got the Paragon achievement too. :lol

20112007233.jpg

Took a quick pic with my phone-cam, so sorry about the quality, but if you look closely it reads Paragon +162. And I've been able to keep going back to it to increase it.
How is it that you do this, because everytime I do this you can only search it once and nothing happens, is there a certain monkey you have to do this to?

Top Bottom