• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Bebpo

Banned
Subarushian said:
Stasis will freeze any enemy for a set period of time but you can't damage them. This allows you to focus on other guys and manage groups of enemies giving you time to use your offensive skills. Lift works in a similar way but you can damage them when their floating and its an area effect so you can disable several enemies.

Go into your characters skill lists and highlight the grayed-out options, every skill they can use is in there. It will tell you what you need to do to unlock it. Always have someone with biotic talents in your team: Wrex, Laiani (whatever her name is), or Kaiden.
Learn the skills of your teammates and level them up accordingly or they will continue to be useless.

Ok that sounds good. I realized after the 2nd boss fight, that having useful teammates to help me might be more effective than just one man-ing it.

Bebpo

Banned
Subarushian said:
Forward on the dpad (for movement), right on the d-pad for general attack specific enemy and the wheel for skills made it somewhat redundant. Would have been nice for the turn-based purists though.

Actually I just wish you could do the up/down/left/right commands while in the pause RB/LB mode. There are times when I want to tell my guys to go to somewhere out of my view because I'm under cover but I'm not going to just run out and stand under fire to give them orders. Same with telling them to fire on a specific enemy.

Bebpo said:
Actually I just wish you could do the up/down/left/right commands while in the pause RB/LB mode. There are times when I want to tell my guys to go to somewhere out of my view because I'm under cover but I'm not going to just run out and stand under fire to give them orders. Same with telling them to fire on a specific enemy.

True. This was annoying, particularly since the only times you really needed to use it were when you where getting pounded.

You just have to be quick (which I guess doesn't jive with most rpg's) but it wouldn't be a Bioware game without annoying quirks.

TheWolf

Banned
White Man said:
4) Um, how much content is there? Because this looks and sounds awesome. Is it like Ratchet and Clank Future where a bunch of the areas don't look particularly impressive?

well, what's kind of disappointing is the side planet stuff. from what i've encountered at least, they all pretty much have the same basic landmarks to visit, and each of the buildings on them has the exact same layout/structure.

TheWolf said:
well, what's kind of disappointing is the side planet stuff. from what i've encountered at least, they all pretty much have the same basic landmarks to visit, and each of the buildings on them has the exact same layout/structure.

The buildings do vary in structure usually quite substantially (I went to 2-3 side planets and never ran into a repeat in buildings). But the environments are rather meh. The gravy is in the side-quests though.

TheWolf

Banned
Subarushian said:
The buildings do vary in structure usually quite substantially (I went to 2-3 side planets and never ran into a repeat in buildings). But the environments are rather meh. The gravy is in the side-quests though.

after 15 hours i've seen basiaclly two different structures. one with two levels, and one single level symmetrical building.

btw, i fucking love how when you complete sidequests you hear about them while in the elevators. can't wait to see some of the variations of the reports on my next playthroughs, cause they're going to be bloodbaths. :D

White Man

That's about what I was expecting for side quest planets. Actually, probably a bit more. I was expecting them a way to totally weasel out of doing much of anything with them.

Surfheart

TheWolf said:

Yeah, I found that too. The uncharted planets seemed to be almost an afterthought.

p3tran

Banned
Whats the max level on the first play through?
I'm level 42 and have only visited two locations of the main plot so far.
I still have secondary missions I'm doing.

I think that all of you guys that rush to the main plot missions without having played the side missions are missing on the fun part.
both looting and leveling are part of this game. why skip it?

Well for one, turn down the difficulty setting.
and of course you never have to lower difficulty from veteran. :)

GuessWho said:
lol looks exactly like mine.
interesting. did you make the player after yourself?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Subarushian said:
I believe its 50.

60 on subsequent runs with game+.

Thanks, my head was nagging 30 or 40 (just reached 30 BTW ^_^) because the game+ is 60 and I was starting to worry that I was going to run out of points soon.

Two more questions, do Shepards talent points gained/lv up decrease to 1/per level when he reaches 30 (40?) or do they remain 2/lv. for the rest of the game? What about the other characters, 1/lv. or 1/2 lv.?

p3tran

Banned
after some point, you get 2 points for sheppard and 1 for the other team members each time you level-up, later on its 1 for everyone

Rand al Thor 19

How come the accuracy rating on the Assualt Rifle is 1 for all my characters??? I have Garrius's Assualt Rifle completely leveled up but the accuracy remains 1. Am I doing something wrong???

Killthee said:
Thanks, my head was nagging 30 or 40 (just reached 30 BTW ^_^) because the game+ is 60 and I was starting to worry that I was going to run out of points soon.

Two more questions, do Shepards talent points gained/lv up decrease to 1/per level when he reaches 30 (40?) or do they remain 2/lv. for the rest of the game? What about the other characters, 1/lv. or 1/2 lv.?

Characters never go below 1 skill point per level.

I don't know if Shepard decreases to 1, I'm at level 45 and it's still 2.

p3tran

Banned
Subarushian said:
Characters never go below 1 skill point per level.

I don't know if Shepard decreases to 1, I'm at level 45 and it's still 2.
I just checked, I'm 42 (not 37 :) ) and I'm kind of sure I've been getting 1 point per sheppard level up since some time.
strange, there must be something that differentiates the level-up points.

Phthisis

I love the comment in the elevator about Hamlet featuring Elcor, and the director wanting to let the audience judge Hamlet based on his actions and not his emotions :lol :lol :lol

Anyway, I left the citadel and spent about 5 hours just doing side quests and planetary exploration. I love cruising around the galaxy and looking at the planets and their details. It reminds me a lot of Escape Velocity Nova in that way, which is awesome as EVN stole my life for a little while a couple years ago.

p3tran said:
I just checked, I'm 42 (not 37 :) ) and I'm kind of sure I've been getting 1 point per sheppard level up since some time.
strange, there must be something that differentiates the level-up points.

Hmm, I know for a fact I was getting 2 up to 40. I may have lost track after that.

Off topic:

Was anyone else shocked when
Ashley killed Wrex in cold blood? I mean seriously, that was disturbing, the gurgling noises as he lay on the ground where the worst. I really liked Wrex. Stupid bitch, if I didn't want to get in her pants I would have sacrificed her later on.

p3tran

Banned
Subarushian said:
Hmm, I know for a fact I was getting 2 up to 40. I may have lost track after that.

Off topic:

Ashley killed Wrex in cold blood? I mean seriously, that was disturbing, the gurgling noises as he lay on the ground where the worst. I really liked Wrex. Stupid bitch, if I didn't want to get in her pants I would have sacrificed her later on.

I convinced rex with my ultimate chatting skillz. he's alive and kicking alien ass

Justin

Subarushian said:

Off topic:

Wrex lived in my game :)

Subarushian said:

Yeah, I was like WTF NO. Then I reloaded a save 5 minutes prior and gave my two talent points to charm. BARELY enough to
save
him :D.

maladroit

Just completed my first time through, credits rolling as I type this. Almost 15 hours exactly, I only did one or two side quests. Already starting my second game. Absolutely fucking amazing game, it has a lot of poor design choices and bugs, but I'm willing to overlook them with the experience it just delivered.

Thinking about how much shit I probably missed is kinda crazy, I was still finding new things on my 5th and 6th KOTOR games. God knows how long I'll be discovering new things replaying this. :lol

mandiller

Quick question:

When starting a new game+ and deciding to carry over your weapons and stats are all the enemies a lot stronger? I want to get to level 60.

Also, is there some kind of battling/colosseum thing in Mass Effect. I place to start fights and battle your way to the top ranks like in Oblivion? Or failing that a place I can level up?

mandiller said:
Quick question:

When starting a new game+ and deciding to carry over your weapons and stats are all the enemies a lot stronger? I want to get to level 60.

Also, is there some kind of battling/colosseum thing in Mass Effect. I place to start fights and battle your way to the top ranks like in Oblivion? Or failing that a place I can level up?

Well everything in the game scales so yes you carry over all your stats except Paragon/Renegade and you get a proportionate amount of XP/money for everything you do. Except of course credits are useless by then and you have way more then you need.

Oh funny note, i tried playing on the hardcore difficulty and my lvl 47 soldier got killed in one hit by a rocket drone even with full health.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Played 2 hours last night, totally addicted to it so far, im a sucker for sci-fi and this game is a needle filled with heroin in that department. I played with the custom face tools for like an hour, was never satisfied with the results, i went back to John shepard's standard face.

frey

First post whooooooo.

Was so close to playing it, I could smell it. 3 red lights of doom. Looks like I have two more weeks of waiting...

JayDubya

Banned
Hasn't even arrived back at the house yet. :'(

Oh well, going to the Ren Faire today.

Maybe I'll get a Black Friday sale on a Claymore.

bendak

Quite possible one of my favorite moments in a video game ever is
landing on earth's moon and seeing earth on the horizon

I said wow! :D

As for the other unchartered planets, yes most of them are different types of wastelands but they even go into this in the codex a bit, saying how earth-like planets are exceedingly rare and most of the planets out there are barren with different types of hostile atmospheres. It also pays to drive around and explore more than just the initial points on your map. Many things don't show up on your map until you drive by them and then they show up on your mini-map.

I am now 20 hours in, level 31, and the only plot planet I've completed is Noveria.

Munin

Oh man, this is what sucks with games like this one...you can still get spoilered even if you already finished it once. :( I'll refrain from reading any spoilers from now on until I have squeezed the last drop of juice out of Mass Effect.

I just picked up Mass Effect with a copy of Edge: Holy shit, they hated it. They moan about the plot, combat, gameplay, dialogue, characters and universe for two whole pages and then pull it back at the end by saying that the reason it sounds so negative is through dissapointment rather than disdain and the fact it isn't a new Star Wars.

Belgorim

RubberJohnny said:
I just picked up Mass Effect with a copy of Edge: Holy shit, they hated it. They moan about the plot, combat, gameplay, dialogue, characters and universe for two whole pages and then pull it back at the end by saying that the reason it sounds so negative is through dissapointment rather than disdain and the fact it isn't a new Star Wars.
Thats the problem with hyping up games too much... the scores often represent how much it lived up to the hype, and not how good the game actually is.

Not everyone will love it however.

Saya

I've got a question. After you've finished the game and want to play it again with the stats from the previous game, is it possible to change the looks on the character but keep the stats?

I just started playing and I'm about 6 hours in. I'm still at the Citadel and I'm trying to finish this
Keeper scanning sidequest. I've got 20/21 and no idea where to find the last one. Could someone tell me how many there are in each district?

Loving the game so far.

So, I haven't started my new Vanguard Amazon game yet, but I watched my better half kick all kinds of ass yesterday and this game is just fucking awesome to look at, and also to play actually as I had to swoop in and beat that insane boss fight from one of the videos where the Geth is like under that bridge when you arrive and it drops down and HUGE fucking juggernaut lands? You know the one I mean? On the planet where you pick up Blue-Faced-Sheepish-Introvert-With-A-Heart-Of-Sex-Longing-Gold.

Anyway, it was almost cheaply one-shot killing her character and so we drove the Mako all the way back to the start of the map, only to find that you can't return to the Normandy. Also bullshit because that really fucking traps you in a situation that may be over your head. Total weak.

Anyway. I took over (usually though, she's totally fucking ace at WRPGs. All my Oblivionchievements are from her). Bolted behind some cover and, even though my ghetto-ass partners, Garrus and, uh, Breather-Hood-Chick, died nigh-instantaneously, several hits of Unity and some patience and tactical thinking won the day. I was nailing those geth soldiers with some Overload and Sabatoge (surprisingly much more satisfying than unleveled gunplay). And then I wore down the Juggernaut's (?) shields and then took his ass down with a pistol.

You'd think it would have been a frustrating mess, but somehow it was completely exhilarating. And at the close we were both convinced that we are NEVER giving old One-Shield-Bar Garrus a spot on the starting line-up again.

YOU SUCK, GARRUS.

ElyrionX

I just started my Adept character and I'm looking for advice on how to build him. Do I need points in pistol or armour? Is Warp or Throw more useful in the long run?

Also, the current skill tree looks pretty limited. Will there be more powers opening up as I progress? Or am I really stuck with just four offensive biotic powers (Throw, Warp plus the two that unlocks as you progress Warp and Throw)?

WTF was bioware doing! I mean come on its not like this game wasnt delayed several times. This game really frustrates me, on one hand I l love this game. And on the other it has so many flaws it makes me want to cry.

Tearing, framerate drops, friendly AI's cant move anywhere you tell them to, equipment menu interface is crap. WTF bioware, why allow all this little things in that keep me from my advancing my relationship with liara.

I made my own female shepard and in the beginning I really couldnt connect to her, but now she has really grown on me(I hope they allow you to bring your character over to the second game), same goes for my crew. I never talk or bring kaiden anywhere with me because I dont want to be hit on by him and I want to continue the story missions so my relationship with liara continues but I dont want to beat the main game fast.

I also love that this game has really challenged me to make a choice more than any other game so far (including whether to save or harvest the first little sister in Bioshock).

Even though im in love with this game, in terms or score I cant give it over a 8.5 so far. The technical problems are just really sad.

*OOPS SPOILERS!!*

Big-E

Holy hell, I just beat my third Geth complex in the
Armstrong Nebula
. It was the snow planet and holy hell was that hard. I liked how sniping in the snow was really a bitch to do because you can't see shit. I was dropping the Geth with ease but damn those big things are bitches to take down.

EDIT: Do any of you guys notice how your rifle will do no damage to big enemies at a long distance but will drop any of the smaller guys around them?

I have great disdain for all of your Garrus hate. It is not the soldier who fails but his commanding officer. Reflect on that.

Fifth fleet out.

Ok, little tip everyone.. save and save frequently.

I just beat the Matriach, which was really difficult for me, then I went through and used the neutron blast on the remaining creatures.. I got killed on the way out, and my checkpoint was back in the middle of the Matriach fight!! I was so mad.. I managed to do it again, and this time I saved just before you activate the neutron purge. Much better.

Oh, and I just finished Noveria, and the side quests and I'm 11 hours in. For those who aren't playing, that means basically I've done one planet. This game is huge.

Even with it's faults, this game is still impressing me more than any other title this year.

Y2Kev said:
When they
cockblock shepard
I was screaming at the TV.

Its funny how playing going the renegade path effected me. Because the only thing i could think of was "You cant stop me, if anyone stands in my way i will kill them."

Oh also, am i the only person that finds the human Ambasador to be insane/unstable/creepy.

Top Bottom