• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Zzoram said:
I'm a level 15 Adept, and this was the first planet I picked. I'm playing on Veteran. I should've went to Feros first :lol

My best suggestion to anyone starting the game is to just go and do the "find the scientist" quest and pick up Liara.

VALIS

Y2Kev said:
Can someone tell me what uncharted planets are supposed to look like? I want to go exploring on one, but I can't tell which ones are uncharted. Alternatively, tell me where I could find an interesting one. :D

Argos Rho --> Phoenix --> Tuntau

I've been exploring random planets for the last couple hours. You come across cool looking artifacts, but you can't salvage some of them because your electronics skill isn't high enough. Gyahh! But it's cool, just gives me reasons to double back later.

Also cool: When you land on a planet there are a few points of interest marked on your map, but they're not all marked... :D

SpudBud said:
How many story planets are there?

Unfortunately 5, not counting the citadel. But they are all so packed with content, its sad that there aren't anymore. I mean sure the game is fun but when you do those specific planets it just gets so much better. Well 3 are amazing, Noveria/Feros and another one that i cant remember the name of, the other two are rather nice but lighter on the storyline exploration.

Zzoram

Um, so what do I do? Am I just screwed?

Matriarch Benezia kills me in 1 or 2 hits, so I can't even get 1 shot at her before dying, someone tell me a cheap way to kill her, I think she regenerates health too

VALIS

Zzoram said:
Um, so what do I do? Am I just screwed?

Matriarch Benezia kills me in 1 or 2 hits, so I can't even get 1 shot at her before dying, someone tell me a cheap way to kill her, I think she regenerates health too

Are you killing all three waves of guards first? You can't really kill her until you do that (or maybe you can, it's just a lot tougher). Look around and make sure someone isn't hiding behind a crate.

You should be outfitted in at least Medium Armor with upgrades for a good chance.

Don't try to approach her up those stairs from the door you first come in. Go caddy corner to the other side, gives you a better angle and cover.

Zzoram

VALIS said:
Are you killing all three waves of guards first? You can't really kill her until you do that (or maybe you can, it's just a lot tougher). Look around and make sure someone isn't hiding behind a crate.

You should be outfitted in at least Medium Armor with upgrades for a good chance.

Don't try to approach her up those stairs from the door you first come in. Go caddy corner to the other side, gives you a better angle and cover.

ya turns out a Geth was hiding or stuck behind a crate I didn't see, now this is the furthest I've made it, I killed all 3 waves and she's weakened behind the queen Rachni tank with 1/4 power left, do I go for her now or is there another wave?

Zzoram said:
ya turns out a Geth was hiding or stuck behind a crate I didn't see, now this is the furthest I've made it, I killed all 3 waves and she's weakened behind the queen Rachni tank with 1/4 power left, do I go for her now or is there another wave?

Wait for another wave i think. You will get a cutscene and talk with her first before you can actually kill her

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
Wait for another wave i think. You will get a cutscene and talk with her first before you can actually kill her

how do i trigger a 4th wave?

nvm found them, they're always the opposite side to where i am

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Zzoram said:

It took me like 20 tries and i got it. People say levels matter but at the end of the day it scales so you aren't totally game-fucked. Here's what I did.

I changed the difficulty to Casual just for the second part of the fight (I completed the first part in a few tries).

I updated my squad vitals. Unfortunately this game likes to retain a member's hit point across the two parts on top of not updating the shields when someone revives after the first part. So I had a member with 1hp and no shields only to die immediately everytime. Be sure you double check this

As for battle strategy, mine is the same as everyone else's. I rotated around the battle area. I'm a vanguard so using barrier proved to be a handy skill. If you have it boot it up right off the bat (booting it up for any of your other members would be a good idea too). Then equip a shotgun (or anything else...but shotgun would do best) and cover your front and try as hard as you can not to let whats in front of you get behind you. Once you down those two commandos keep running. Your mates will cover your back and keep moving. Thanks to suspect AI the matriarch isn't going to be able to follow efficiently sometimes. If you find time to stop (which is bound to happen thanks to said AI) let the shields recharge then take em head on. All that should be left is a severely weakened matriarch and possibly that last commando.

Whoo hoo!!!! I just finished the main storyline, fuckin amazing game. My GOTY, awesome story, it had me gripped the whole time, with some tough choices I had to make
especially when I decided to let the council die, and have Humans take over

I don't give a shit about the technical flaws the game had, yeah there was pop in, yeah there was framerate drops,suspect AI too, but the storyline, the character development, the moral choices, the voice acting, the dialogue, and music are all that really matters in a RPG, and Mass Effect delivered in spades.

My last save, which was right before
the final battle with Saran
was 10hrs 42mins. I did a few sidequests, but I was so gripped on the main story I just had to focus on that.

Level 34, Vanguard, Sole Survivor, Earthborn.

Zzoram

mysticstylez said:
Whoo hoo!!!! I just finished the main storyline, fuckin amazing game. My GOTY, awesome story, it had me gripped the whole time, with some tough choices I had to make
especially when I decided to let the council die, and have Humans take over

I don't give a shit about the technical flaws the game had, yeah there was pop in, yeah there was framerate drops,suspect AI too, but the storyline, the character development, the moral choices, the voice acting, the dialogue, and music are all that really matters in a RPG, and Mass Effect delivered in spades.

My last save, which was right before
the final battle with Saran
was 10hrs 42mins. I did a few sidequests, but I was so gripped on the main story I just had to focus on that.

Level 34, Vanguard, Sole Survivor, Earthborn.

You beat the main quest in 11 hours? I'm at 12 hours and still on my first planet outside Eden Prime and the Citadel :lol

Zzoram said:
You beat the main quest in 11 hours? I'm at 12 hours and still on my first planet outside Eden Prime and the Citadel :lol

When I was on the Citadel I did some sidequests, then the story just took over, and it was my mission to complete it. I did a sidequest here and there during the game, but mainly focused on the main story.

Zzoram

talking to people to hear everything they have to say, and reading/listening to the Codex probably adds a lot of hours to the game, since that's what I've been doing

Mr Spliff

I have a question about one of the citadel side quests.

/minor spoiler

Where can I find the Verner guy if i told him to piss off earlier? The quest isn't filed away as completed and I've looked seemingly everywhere for him. Thanks.

tak

Quick question for people that have finished, can you continue doing side missions after you've finished the main story or does the game just end?

tak said:
Quick question for people that have finished, can you continue doing side missions after you've finished the main story or does the game just end?

The game ends but you can start over again with the character that you finished. Just pick the "Existing profile" when starting the new game. Also the level cap is raised to 60 after you play through the game once.

jet1911

Feros spoiler, don't read if you have not finish it yet.

I just executed the asari on Feros. I feel like an asshole now. Thank you awesome game!

:(

Bebpo

Banned
So uh, I was totally loving the game and then I landed on my first optional planet and drove my vehicle and it's absolutely terrible and I'm stuck.
I go to a distress beacon and a giant monster pops up that kills me in 2 freaking hits and I can't repair because it will hit me and kill me during repairs and my weapons seem to be doing no noticable damage to it. I have no idea wtf is going on. Can you level up your ship or something?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Intentional or not, this game wins GOTY for basically quoting SOTN. Kinda.

YOUR WORDS ARE AS EMPTY AS YOUR FUTURE

Sherveen

Bebpo said:
So uh, I was totally loving the game and then I landed on my first optional planet and drove my vehicle and it's absolutely terrible and I'm stuck.
I go to a distress beacon and a giant monster pops up that kills me in 2 freaking hits and I can't repair because it will hit me and kill me during repairs and my weapons seem to be doing no noticeable damage to it. I have no idea wtf is going on. Can you level up your ship or something?

Huh, that's odd, because I've had a similar encounter (don't know if it was the same planet, don't recall the name) and it was too easy.

If it's the same monster: Basically circle around it firing is what I did. It hit me once, but after that it took about two more times of it popping up and me shooting it for the thing to drop dead... It had a health bar and I recognized it as taking damage the entire time though, so... dunno.

Edit: Just checked. I was on Edolus.

The art direction and the level of detail in every section of the environments is amongst the best I've ever seen. I couldn't ask for better armor designs.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
i desperately need help with the Matriarch battle. Every time it starts my squad dies immediately and I can't hold them all off. Help!

None of my squad have Barrier or Lift abilities, they just die immediately from the biotics of the asari commandos. I'm so frustrated with this that I'm begging for some kind of advice to win this fight, because if I hear that speech about the power of creation and motherhood again, im gonna smash my controller.

I was loving this game until this fight which seems nigh-unwinnable. Help.

TeethMummy said:
i desperately need help with the Matriarch battle. Every time it starts my squad dies immediately and I can't hold them all off. Help!

None of my squad have Barrier or Lift abilities, they just die immediately from the biotics of the asari commandos. I'm so frustrated with this that I'm begging for some kind of advice to win this fight, because if I hear that speech about the power of creation and motherhood again, im gonna smash my controller.

I was loving this game until this fight which seems nigh-unwinnable. Help.

I went through the same thing. First off, you can skip through the cutscene dialogues with the blue button. That gets rid of some of the annoyance.

(I'm playing as an infiltrator) Now, as soon as the battle starts, I cast everything I've got (warp, overkill) at the first dude, then I fall back, aim at him and just take him out asap. After that, you've got another one to deal with. Your squad members will prolly die, so keep healing them and giving everything you've got against the second person. Once these two are taken out you'll get a little cut, then you'll have 3 dudes on the right, crouch and keep low.. you can get to a point against the crates where they can't get you.. I stayed low, and strafed to the left occasionally casting overload and other things, and kept my crew members attacking them. After these guys are gone, run straight across, up the stairs and you'll meet the chick. You then get a checkpoint and you have to fight her.. and another bunch of minions are goinna surround you. That's the point I'm at now. Af first this whole sequence seemed impossible but with some forethough, and regular pausing and using abilities, it starts to get easier. Good luck!!

Alex

If you put points in like the computer hacking or whatnot on a party member, it counts for you when you try to bypass the system like with first aid, right?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
UnholySpectacle said:
Why in the hell can't I scan the last keeper? The Avina keeps telling me not to bother it, any help?

Because he's not the last keeper...

Did you get all 3 in the Citadel Tower (One is kinda hidden at the end of one of the side rails in the middle section of the tower)? If you did your missing one from somewhere else in the city.

White Man

1) My 360 appears to be working fine now, though I am trying to keep my game sessions to under 3 hours, since I have to at least make this last until the next paycheck.

2) This game is FUCK ALL AWESOME. In a year of great games, scratching my good genre storytelling itch is a good way to hold my attention. This has the best in-game storytelling EVER. The story might not be Torment, but the dialogue, even the way the dialogue works, more than makes up for it.

3) Gameplay isn't that bad, either. It has its wonky moments, and the team member AI shows signs of ultimate retardation at times, but I don't think it's been responsible for the times I did die. I was prepared for terribleton gameplay after Jade Empire, and the realization that this was full real time.

4) Um, how much content is there? Because this looks and sounds awesome. Is it like Ratchet and Clank Future where a bunch of the areas don't look particularly impressive?

MC Safety

Killthee said:
Because he's not the last keeper...

Did you get all 3 in the Citadel Tower (One is kinda hidden at the end of one of the side rails in the middle section of the tower)? If you did your missing one from somewhere else in the city.

The "hidden" one in the Citadel eluded me for far too long.

Just completed it. Play time at 15 hours exact. I only did a handful of side quests.

When I first heard the premise of the story I was a little let down. The stereotypical fight against machines etc etc.

Turns out it's anything but, it's a totally fresh angle that is far more deep than it first appears. In fact, it's the best story Bioware has told since BG2, its so much more well paced and plotted than KOTOR with no dead spots and an excellent arc. The level of detail and back story in every corner of the galaxy is stunning.

Everything just comes together: amazing art design, satisfying combat (I hated KOTORs system), excellent story and plotting, gorgeous graphics (texture pop-in not-withstanding), and amazing music.

It is, hands down, the best RPG I have every played (BG2 you had your time). And though the texture pop-in is really annoying and the final boss battle was weird, everything else is so ace its almost unbelievable.

I can't wait to dive into the game+ and also play some of the other classes and see the uncharted worlds, the scale
Bioware has constructed a huge canon with this game, I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Even the credits music was amazing. Bravo Bioware, bra-fucking-vo.

Bebpo

Banned
This game is awesome, but Bioware is terrible at making checkpoints.

I get to a boss fight horribly under-leveled because I went somewhere first before going to other places (friend is lvl.21 and hasn't gone there yet and I was lvl.10). This resulted in:

BOSS FIGHT -> DIE IN 2 HITS -> LOADING SCREEN -> SIT THROUGH UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES AGAIN -> REPEAT for an hour straight. Finally won in the end with non-stop holding of R and playing it second by second turn-based, but it would have been a lot less painful if dying resulted in a restart AFTER the cutscene and when the fight starts. Having to sit through this scene over and over was ridiculous.

My other gripe is that the damage factor is too high. First time on a boss fight usually consists of me dying within 3-4 seconds before I even have an idea of my surroundings and what enemies there are. I picked a soldier class because they had access to good armor, but I still die right away and my teammates die almost instantly in boss battles. :\

Which boss battle has been giving you trouble?

I played through as a soldier on normal and never died more than 2-3 times for any boss. Guess I got lucky with the order of planets I went to.

Edit: and only had to re-do a scene twice.

Fifty

Bebpo said:

BOSS FIGHT -> DIE IN 2 HITS -> LOADING SCREEN -> SIT THROUGH UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES AGAIN -> REPEAT for an hour straight. Finally won in the end with non-stop holding of R and playing it second by second turn-based, but it would have been a lot less painful if dying resulted in a restart AFTER the cutscene and when the fight starts. Having to sit through this scene over and over was ridiculous.

I agree totally. That's my biggest complaint so far. Some things are excusable (like the elevators, because they mask the loading) but this is not. It just feels poorly designed if you're forced to watch a lengthy unskippable cutscene X times in a row after you die at a boss.

Bebpo said:

I get to a boss fight horribly under-leveled because I went somewhere first before going to other places (friend is lvl.21 and hasn't gone there yet and I was lvl.10). This resulted in:

My other gripe is that the damage factor is too high. First time on a boss fight usually consists of me dying within 3-4 seconds before I even have an idea of my surroundings and what enemies there are. I picked a soldier class because they had access to good armor, but I still die right away and my teammates die almost instantly in boss battles. :\
I feel your pain. I just lost about 15 minutes worth of gameplay since I can't save during combat :x

White Man

Bebpo said:

Also, Bioware SUCKS at tutorials. By the time I figured out the game well, I had already been playing for 3-4 hours (largely since combat instances in the beginning are few), and used the skill points for my first bunch of levels. If players are using permanent, non-respeccable skill points, they absolutely should NOT be doing it anytime before they understand the game.

I am all for busting apart all the useless tutorials in gaming, but this is an example of a game that needed more than it had.

Bebpo

Banned
Subarushian said:
Which boss battle has been giving you trouble?

I played through as a soldier on normal and never died more than 2-3 times for any boss. Guess I got lucky with the order of planets I went to.

Edit: and only had to re-do a scene twice.

Right after getting the ship I went straight to the mining ruins where the daughter is. The mid-level boss with the jumpers was pretty annoying (was like lvl.8-9) because the cutscene was unskippable and my teammates and I would die in 5-10 seconds before we had an idea of what was going on. First thing we did was run under cover but then they'd jump behind us and kill my teammates and fire on me while the soldier guys came from the front.

That wasn't the annoying section though, as I passed it after about 3 tries. Where I spent the hour was at the end vs. the yellow skin boss and his group. You just start out in the middle of the room with no place to take cover and my teammates would die right there within a second usually. I'd pick off all the little guys running from cover to cover, but then the big guy would rush me for a physical hit which would kill me in 1 hit, and when I ran out of sprint he'd often use a biotech to knock me on the floor and then physical hit me. If I revived any of my guys they'd just die from 1 hit again him. It was probably the combination of being lvl.10, having my teammates at default light armors that they came with, and not having good teammates with good skills. But there was no way I was going to do that entire planet again so I just kept retrying over and over for an hour until I got lucky and had my 2 guys alive and they decoyed him while I shot him to death.

Also I keep picking up ammo like "armor piercing bullets", but I see nowhere to equip ammo types. They don't show up under upgrade for any of the guns...

How do you use that tactical mode shown in older videos of the game? the one where you pause the entire game and can control things better? the AI is freaking stupid and I would feel better controlling their every action KOTOR style.

also, can you switch which direction the camera is over your shoulder? there better be a way, games that use this over the shoulder view pretty much need a button to switch from the left to right side or else it just feels broken. Right now it really does feel broken and im hoping I just havent figured out the button combo to get it to work.

Darkman M said:
10 hours in barely have even touched the main quest, this game is the definition of epic.

yeah, I still have a few more side quest that I will take care of tomorrow, then I will go into the main quest.

Fifty

Bebpo:

Press X to access the upgrades on your desired weapon, and then press right to move from the general gun upgrades to the ammo upgrades..select the desired upgrade and press A.

Bebpo

Banned
Fifty said:
Bebpo:

Press X to access the upgrades on your desired weapon, and then press right to move from the general gun upgrades to the ammo upgrades..select the desired upgrade and press A.

Thanks. That will probably help!

I more trouble with that first boss fight than the second. In fact I died more at that then any other boss fight in the entire game.

I did die at that second one and had to replay the scene but I beat him on my next try. I went to that planet after Feros, and never had any trouble with my teammates dieing in seconds and being confused, how can you be confused about whats going on when you are replaying it and you can pause? Do you have someone in your team with biotics? Stasis is your friend.

The ammo upgrade is the second slot in the upgrade menu. Press right on the dpad.

How do you use that tactical mode shown in older videos of the game? the one where you pause the entire game and can control things better? the AI is freaking stupid and I would feel better controlling their every action KOTOR style.

You don't. The feature was cut.

Bebpo

Banned
Subarushian said:
I more trouble with that first boss fight than the second. In fact I died more at that then any other boss fight in the entire game.

I did die at that second one and had to replay the scene but I beat him on my next try. I went to that planet after Feros, and never had any trouble with my teammates dieing in seconds and being confused, how can you be confused about whats going on when you are replaying it and you can pause? Do you have someone in your team with biotics? Stasis is your friend.

The ammo upgrade is the second slot in the upgrade menu. Press right on the dpad.

My teammates I use have nothing besides Warp and Sabotage. ^^; What does Stasis do?

You know, I think a list of all the skills and which teammate can get them would probably really be helpful for choosing a good support team since I'm a soldier and can't get that stuff.

Bebpo said:
My teammates I use have nothing besides Warp and Sabotage. ^^; What does Stasis do?

You know, I think a list of all the skills and which teammate can get them would probably really be helpful for choosing a good support team since I'm a soldier and can't get that stuff.

Stasis will freeze any enemy for a set period of time but you can't damage them. This allows you to focus on other guys and manage groups of enemies giving you time to use your offensive skills. Lift works in a similar way but you can damage them when their floating and its an area effect so you can disable several enemies.

Go into your characters skill lists and highlight the grayed-out options, every skill they can use is in there. It will tell you what you need to do to unlock it. Always have someone with biotic talents in your team: Wrex, Laiani (whatever her name is), or Kaiden.
Learn the skills of your teammates and level them up accordingly or they will continue to be useless.

Top Bottom