• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Dechaios said:
I'm starting the game and I have no idea what class to choose. At least, do you have any advice on what class to avoid?

Soldier is pretty easy. Infiltrator might not be that bad either, it will let you hack things without depending on the party members and still be decent at combat. But every class will probably require you to know how to use your special abilities. But you still probably need to do a bit of leveling with any class.

Dartastic

I'm really enjoying this game so far, but the framerate is absolutely terrible. That in combination with the frustrating difficulty level spikes and horrible savepoints (which I've thankfully learned to adapt to) is making this game beyond frustrating at times. It's a good thing that combat is really fun and the story is so engaging, because if it wasn't I would have put this thing down almost immediately.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dartastic said:
I'm really enjoying this game so far, but the framerate is absolutely terrible. That in combination with the frustrating difficulty level spikes and horrible savepoints (which I've thankfully learned to adapt to) is making this game beyond frustrating at times. It's a good thing that combat is really fun and the story is so engaging, because if it wasn't I would have put this thing down almost immediately.
You know what, I don't think the frame rate would actually be that bad if it wasn't a UE3 game.

Walking around Citadel, for instance, all you can hear is the DVD drive desperately tring to load up the high res textures as quick as it can, which leads to more slowdown than the game actually has. If you go through a section where all the high res textures have been loaded already, the frame rate is pretty solid.

On the subject of graphics: Am I the only one that likes the Film Grain effect? I think they've over done it a little bit (looks like you're playing a VHS), but it's quite a nice effect, especially if they'd toned it down a tad.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I finally finished it at 13 or 14 some credited play time.

I'm quite annoyed at the haters who are like "oh you only played 13 you wasted the game". Naw son, it's more like the storyline can be done in 7. I spent the vast majority of my time on side quests and only wraped up the story when the quests ceased to "fall in my lap".

Theres more to do...but not much on the lines of interesting (unless yall have suggestions or theres something i'm missing). I can call this baby a wrap and finish up other games.

p.s. I like the ending theme. Only piece of music i liked in the whole game.

ive played for around 10 hours or so, just started to get back into the main quest and it is still holding up.

my three problems are that the actual shooting and such is really really bad if you compare it to pretty much any other shooter, like if I was killed in battle it always feels like the game is being cheap and not actually due to my lack of skills (this is compared to something like Uncharted when dying ment I f'ed up). The AI is also really stupid, I have these two supposed badass fighters with experience, yet they seem like a couple teenagers playing paint ball. The rover you drive around on planets has really bad controls, even after figuring out the weird ass control scheme they chose for it, it doesnt make any sense.

other than that it is great.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
God's Beard said:
Whoever did the camera work in this game is Mother Mary's Baby Daddy.

Talking/cut scene work? hellz yeah, and he got a big dick too.
vehicle camera work? I want to stab this guy in his neck.....with a spoon

BenjaminBirdie said:
I really really REALLY want to make a Playbill for the Elcor Hamlet....

That was one of the best things I heard in the game. I'd like to see the play, so that I might judge Hamlet for his actions, not his emotions.

Bebpo

Banned
This game is so fucking glitchy. I mean I loooooooooooooooooove it, but I keep running into bugs.

-Had one time where the framerate in a room dropped to like 5fps and somehow it carried the framerate with it when I left the room and the entire game was 5fps no matter what. Had to reset and then it was fine.

-Just turned it off because somehow my RUN got stuck locked onto some object on the other side of the entire level and I couldn't run at all because the camera would force look at a wall or something. Hopefully this will be fixed when I power it back on.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
i've now played the second half of the
matriarch
fight over 50 times. I simply cannot win. I tried turning the difficulty down to casual and everything. They spawn my squad right on top of 3 exploding barrels, and all the commandos rush in throwing their blue bullshit and knocking me out instantly. Its infuriating that I have such a good game in my possesion, but I can't fucking play it because it autosaved in the middle of an impossible fucking battle! I'm out of ideas now. My guy with dampening has 1 health left and dies instantly every time.

Sectus

Dechaios said:
I'm starting the game and I have no idea what class to choose. At least, do you have any advice on what class to avoid?
I'd say vanguard and adept are the most fun classes to play as. Some of the biotic powers are really fun to use. Soldier and infiltrator are also classes which are very viable.

I'd personally recommend avoiding sentinel and engineer. Both rely heavily on tech skills which aren't fun to use and are underpowered compared to other skills in the game.

Zzoram

TeethMummy said:
matriarch
fight over 50 times. I simply cannot win. I tried turning the difficulty down to casual and everything. They spawn my squad right on top of 3 exploding barrels, and all the commandos rush in throwing their blue bullshit and knocking me out instantly. Its infuriating that I have such a good game in my possesion, but I can't fucking play it because it autosaved in the middle of an impossible fucking battle! I'm out of ideas now. My guy with dampening has 1 health left and dies instantly every time.

Do you have an older save to revert to?

for the matriarch battle, you have to kill 4 waves of enemies, then get a cutscene where you talk to her more before you actually fight her, before that she's invincible and pretty much 1 hit kills you so avoid her and hide in the corners of the room, but you'll have to move from corner to corner to find and kill all the minions she summoned

I was stuck there for 1.5 hours before I beat it, :lol

Hunter D

TeethMummy said:
matriarch
Garrus makes that fight easy. Use is biotic suppression and shield abilities. Hell, Garrus is probably the best secnodary character.

Hunter D said:
Garrus makes that fight easy. Use is biotic suppression and shield abilities. Hell, Garrus is probably the best secnodary character.

Not only that, storyline wise Garrus always has your back. Unlike that whole i am a dark moody somber mercenary Wrex that is likely to flare up at any slight remark.

TheWolf

Banned
so i told Ash that
I needed her and she thinks i'm one cornball motherfucker. however, she told me she will think about it and that she is a hellcat or something OFF the battlefield as well, so i think i have a chance.
:lol

Garrus and Ash are my two squadmates during this playthough, and i've just been auto-levling them. i hope i don't run into any tough boss battles, although no battle yet has caused me any real trouble.

besada

Banned
Hunter D said:

I did it with the two ladies, and it was a breeze. Of course, I had leveled up quite a bit, so I tossed a major singularity into the cluster of agents, then dumped some overloads on their equipment each time and cleaned up anyone who got past that with the toxic shotgun.

I had already reached 20th level before I got around to doing Noveria.

Big-E

I am such retard. After 15 hours with the game I just realized that the rover has a secondary fire. To take down colossi I would just spam my machine gun and slowly take them out.

besada

Banned
Big-E said:
I am such retard. After 15 hours with the game I just realized that the rover has a secondary fire. To take down colossi I would just spam my machine gun and slowly take them out.

Don't feel bad. I didn't figure it out until I ran into my first Thresher Maw and got killed a few times. I didn't know about the Mako zoom until I read it here a few posts ago. Would have been very helpful.

I'm playing as a Shock Trooper Soldier right now on hard, and I'm wondering if your squadmates have a purpose other than giving you a reason to use Unity? I'm not saying they die a lot, but I don't think I really need the help. It's fun watching them launch people around with biotics like they think they're helping me.

Big-E

besada said:
Don't feel bad. I didn't figure it out until I ran into my first Thresher Maw and got killed a few times. I didn't know about the Mako zoom until I read it here a few posts ago. Would have been very helpful.

I have killed four Thresher Maw's with just the damn machine gun.

TheWolf

Banned
i have Noveria and one other quest on my main list (
i did the sacrifice a member of your crew mission
), how many hours of main story do i have left? i'm a level 40 i think...

God's Beard said:
I'm playing as a Shock Trooper Soldier right now on hard, and I'm wondering if your squadmates have a purpose other than giving you a reason to use Unity? I'm not saying they die a lot, but I don't think I really need the help. It's fun watching them launch people around with biotics like they think they're helping me.

Well who do you use? Because a soldier you pretty much stand up to anything, its just silly how much damage you can take.

Quagm1r3

cjelly said:
On the subject of graphics: Am I the only one that likes the Film Grain effect? I think they've over done it a little bit (looks like you're playing a VHS), but it's quite a nice effect, especially if they'd toned it down a tad.

I agree that the film grain is a great idea in concept, but they overdid it to about twice as heavy as it should be. It's a shame you can't adjust how heavy different settings like this (and motion blur, also overdone) are.

TheWolf

Banned
i love the biotics too much. it's so satisfying to have 4 enemies rush you and then you just use throw to toss them across the room into a bunch of boxes.

X26

Banned
Anyone else getting some wierd rainbow effects? I see them on the Mako, and once on the edges of some stairs. Haven't seen this before in any of my other games so I'm hoping it's just a bug within the game and not my system dying...

Holy shit can Shock Trooper Vanguards take a lot of damage. I have Barrier at max level (1000hp shield) with the shock trooper special (45hp per sec regen on the shield) and a biotic amp that changes cooldown and/or duration to the point that in combat I can recast before it goes down. Add the fact that my shotgun kills the large geth (destroyers and such) in two shots and anything smaller in one, and I feel like one badass mother****er.

TheWolf

Banned
i kind of skimped on my shock trooper vanguard. maxed out pistol instead. with marksman + incendiary rounds is pretty deadly.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, just finished Thoren.

That last part with the boss was too long. It must have taken me an hour and 10 saves along the way. Too many parts, jeez.

Also uh, was there supposed to be a way to restock in grenades? Saving all the civilians with only 5 grenades seems impossible.

Also as a soldier I'm noticing as I get further into the game my main weapon (assault rifle) is becoming less and less effective at killing people quickly. Is there anything I should be doing? Lvl.23 atm, 2 story missions in, ~9 hours.

TheWolf said:
are you regularly adding upgrades and switching to more powerful ARs?

Well you can get the best AR in the game pretty early on. But i am not sure what to use when it comes to high level upgrades. I got a lot of duplicates for now, but there seems to be a potential for variety. High explosive rounds are hilarious but i wish there was a way for them to actually be useful.

tak

Quagm1r3 said:
I agree that the film grain is a great idea in concept, but they overdid it to about twice as heavy as it should be. It's a shame you can't adjust how heavy different settings like this (and motion blur, also overdone) are.
Yeah, I agree. The film grain adds a lot to it visually, but it is way over done. I think the best film grain effect I've seen is in GRAW; however, it has been awhile since I've played it, so it is possible I'm not correctly remembering the grain quality in the game.

h_a_t

What the freakin' hell...
I just started getting into the game, a little less than three hours in, and all of a sudden I can't even play any fuckin' more.
The Xbox will just remain frozen and I can't even get to the dashboard, and I'll just have to power down completely.

Tried Halo, Bioshock, Forza, Naruto, COD4 and they all work just fine.
I start up Mass Effect and resume or load a previous game(it doesn't matter), I get 5 seconds into the game and it will just freeze up.
Disc is literally flawless and Xbox is about as well ventilated as possible.

Did a search and I've come up with this:
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=599784&forum=124

There appears to be a reoccurring issue where players are getting disc unreadable errors, or random crashes. This seems to be most commonly found somewhere after character creation, but can occur anywhere in the game.

One of our forum community members (Danw05) encountered this problem and followed some steps from a Microsoft Support site. It involves clearing the Xbox cache.

To try clearing the Xbox 360 Hard Drive cache, with the Xbox 360 Hard Drive attached to the console, follow these steps:

a. Locate the System section of the Xbox 360 Dashboard.
b. Select Memory, select Hard Drive, and then press Y to view the device options screen.
c. On the Xbox 360 Controller, press the X button, press the X button again, press the left bumper, press the right bumper, press the X button, and then press the X button again.
d. You will be prompted to confirm system maintenance, select Yes by pressing A.

The complete document is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907586/

If the problem persists after trying this, then it's possible that you have bad game media. I would suggest that you first attempt to return the game to the point of purchase for an exchange, and if the issue persists contact Microsoft Xbox Support. For your convenience International Xbox support phone numbers can be found here.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/support/

Haven't tried it yet, but #6 on that link to the microsoft page is:
If this problem occurs with the hard drive attached and clearing the cache did not resolve the issue, create a new gamer profile, and then test to see whether the issue still occurs. If the issue does not occur when you use a new gamer profile, the issue may be related to the original gamer profile or saved game information for one or more games that are associated with the original gamer profile. To verify this, delete the saved games for all games that show this problem for the original gamer profile.

I mean, I'm less than three hours in.........but c'mon.
:(

Big-E

What sort of benefit does specialization give you? I just got the choice involved but I am not really sure what it does. Does it just give you a one time bonus or is it for every talent you spend in a given skill you get a bigger bonus?

tak said:
Yeah, I agree. The film grain adds a lot to it visually, but it is way over done. I think the best film grain effect I've seen is in GRAW; however, it has been awhile since I've played it, so it is possible I'm not correctly remembering the grain quality in the game.

Yep GRAW has a great grain filter.

I like Mass Effect's too.. makes everything look even cooler IMO.

Fina1e

h_a_t said:
What the freakin' hell...
I just started getting into the game, a little less than three hours in, and all of a sudden I can't even play any fuckin' more.
The Xbox will just remain frozen and I can't even get to the dashboard, and I'll just have to power down completely.

Tried Halo, Bioshock, Forza, Naruto, COD4 and they all work just fine.
I start up Mass Effect and resume or load a previous game(it doesn't matter), I get 5 seconds into the game and it will just freeze up.
Disc is literally flawless and Xbox is about as well ventilated as possible.

Did a search and I've come up with this:
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=599784&forum=124

Haven't tried it yet, but #6 on that link to the microsoft page is:

I mean, I'm less than three hours in.........but c'mon.
:(

This happened to me as well. My disk became unreadable in my machine, so I just took it back and exchanged it with another one and it worked fine.

Big-E said:
What sort of benefit does specialization give you? I just got the choice involved but I am not really sure what it does. Does it just give you a one time bonus or is it for every talent you spend in a given skill you get a bigger bonus?

Well the specialization unlocks the extra talent slots for the class that you have. In the description it tells you what it benefits. For example Shock Trooper gives bonus to health and instead of skills it has 2 talents that reduce the cool down of Immunity and Adrenaline Rush.

Bebpo

Banned
TheWolf said:
are you regularly adding upgrades and switching to more powerful ARs?

Yeah. If I'm at a distance I can take down guys 1 at a time from under cover no problem. But if a group of enemies rushes me I'm doing pretty shitty as a soldier with no tech/bio skills. Shotgun gets maybe 3 shots before overheating & AR just isn't taking guys down fast enough. I depend a lot on my support team to keep throwing guys back or lifting them since I'm just not doing enough damage shooting.

Dartastic

cjelly said:
You know what, I don't think the frame rate would actually be that bad if it wasn't a UE3 game.

Walking around Citadel, for instance, all you can hear is the DVD drive desperately tring to load up the high res textures as quick as it can, which leads to more slowdown than the game actually has. If you go through a section where all the high res textures have been loaded already, the frame rate is pretty solid.

I think you're right. I'm not too far in (I'm at the first planet that you've seen in the first boss battle videos) and I've noticed that the framerate had the biggest problems in the Citadel. It's strange because combat (where textures are generally already loaded) seems smooth, but when I'm running around one of the bars I get MASSIVE frame rate drops. I genuinely wish they took more time to iron that out.

On another note, even though the combat is really fun at times I'm also getting REALLY mad at it. There is NOTHING more frustrating then getting killed in one lucky shot from an enemy that you just can't do anything about. My squadmates are absolute idiots as well, which doesn't really help the situation. I've died multiple times while trying to take cover, and having my squadmates take cover right next to me renders me unable to actually get behind something safely. This is followed with a forementioned one hit kill.

Big-E said:

WAIT WHAT?

Bebpo

Banned
Oddly, I haven't really noticed any framerate problems in the Citadel and I think the grain is as good as the grain in Silent Hill games.

The motion blur seems to do a real good job at hiding framerate problems. Only during huge firefights with tons of enemies do I see dips in the single digits.

yukoner

Bebpo said:
Yeah. If I'm at a distance I can take down guys 1 at a time from under cover no problem. But if a group of enemies rushes me I'm doing pretty shitty as a soldier with no tech/bio skills. Shotgun gets maybe 3 shots before overheating & AR just isn't taking guys down fast enough. I depend a lot on my support team to keep throwing guys back or lifting them since I'm just not doing enough damage shooting.

Pistol + Marksmenship = life saver

This game sounds like a bitch in both difficulty level and with bugs.
Asked for it for x-mas but after reading this thread I hope I don't get it.

Top Bottom