• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duckroll said:
I'm not sure why anyone would want to finish this game in 13 hours. .

Because I liked the story and wanted to see the ending? Durf, Ducky, I mean really.

Skilotonn said:
If you blasted through this game in 13 hours, then you really must not have a love for exploration
:lol Whatever.

I'm 8 hours and 30 mins into the game, and I'm still at the Citadel - I conversate with everyone I come across, and I'm addicted to the side-quests, which are brilliant, and give the people character and background...

Actually, though the world is nicely fleshed out, the rewards are largely useless considering money is so out of wack in the game.

I'm so in love with the world of Mass Effect that I don't see myself rushing through it whatsoever...

You definitely don't have to rush to complete the main quest in less than 20 hours.

I'm sensing an almost antagonistic mood here and I don't like or get it.

BeeDog

It's a shame to hear money isn't worth shit in this game; the same thing plagued Gothic 3 (among many other things), and it kinda kills the mood when there is no shortage of money. :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Got the game. I'm 4 hours in, and I've just
become a Spectre.
I feel like the game is only just beginning, yet I have spent 4 hours getting there. :lol

Currently Level 7, Vanguard. I've been doing a few of the Assignments (side-quests) in the Citadel. While I'm on that subject, has anyone done the Assignment titled
'The Fan'
? I can't seem to find
Conrad
anywhere, and I'd really like to complete that before I leave the Citadel, as it's the last Citadel-based Assignment I have open.

I am really loving the game so far, though. While a few people have complained about it, I like the sort of 'laid back' pace to the combat. It's the sort of game I can see myself spending hours in, just because it just feels so relaxed to play.

BeeDog said:
It's a shame to hear money isn't worth shit in this game; the same thing plagued Gothic 3 (among many other things), and it kinda kills the mood when there is no shortage of money. :(

Actually its the availability of items. For 1 million you can buy a full set of the best weapons in the whole game. But the only way to get the best weapon/armor mods and armor it self is usually by killing enemies, especially in storyline areas/planets.

cjelly said:
While I'm on that subject, has anyone done the Assignment titled
'The Fan'
? I can't seem to find
Conrad
anywhere, and I'd really like to complete that before I leave the Citadel, as it's the last Citadel-based Assignment I have open.
I have that still assigned to me too. I'm assuming that you complete this on another planet. I thought he said something like "look me up on Earth if you are ever there".

Illuminati said:
I have that still assigned to me too. I'm assuming that you complete this on another planet. I thought he said something like "look me up on Earth if you are ever there".

Well i met him
twice at the same spot
so just give it some time.

Oh and "OH MY GAWD" moment, i am just replaying the game for the second time i and i got a cut scene that i haven't seen before right at the beginning of the game and Wrex has the best line
Guard: "End of the story Wrex"
Wrex: "No, this story just beginning"

Munin

Yeah. I mean okay, so I did not do every sidequest, but it's not like I constantly skipped through dialogue, and I must have done like 6 or 7 sidequests, and visited quite a few planets.

I took my time at the Citadel and other locations, but even the story planets don't have much to offer besides progressing the main quest.

The game is short, considering it's a Bioware game. There's no problem with that. And of course I can lenghten game time by talking to everyone, doing every single sidequest, and explore every single planet, however dull they are. I just think it's...not very good pacing when I have to actively avoid progressing the story in order to lengthen the experience. It's hard to explain. It should come more naturally.

People here just need to accept that even if people like me finished Mass Effect in 14 hours, it certainly doesn't mean that we are all dumb shooter people who skip through every dialogue and just go from action part to action part. Because I certainly didn't do that.

TheWolf

Banned
i'm trying to bed Ash, but she seems to think i'm more interested in the alien chick. :lol

I SAVED HER OVER KAIDEN TOO. WHAT DOES A SHEPPARD GOTTA DO TO GET SOME PUSSY?!

Munin said:
I took my time at the Citadel and other locations, but even the story planets don't have much to offer besides progressing the main quest.

Well to each his own. You say this game is short and the such. I am inclined to ignore your opinions though because they are so wildly different from my own simply because i have no idea how you managed to say that storyline planets dont offer much.

edit: i am silly at times.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Illuminati said:
I'm pretty sure it's Citadel-based, as all of the Assignments you get on Citadel that are for other planets, don't have 'Citadel:' at the start of them.

Is the bartender conversation scene from E3 in the game? If so, where?

2006e3ms094sl.jpg

I don't really care about the bartender, I just want to visit that bar!

24 hours in and still havent beaten all three of the first set of missions :p

Love this game. Love the combat, love the dialogue, even love the damn elevators that everyone else hates(I like hearing the news and idle conversation)

I love stuff like finding about the effects of Global warming and the origin of the pyramids.

on the space monkey planet, there's a ancient silver floating sphere thing. it needs a key or something, has anyone found it?

watership

The Lamonster said:
I love all the music. It's so moody and awesome.

And looks like the official soundtrack was delayed until "after December 24th."

DAMMIT. Some people in the bioware forums are saying that they received it from Amazon, and then Amazon either runs out of stock or is having database issues. Anyone know an online retailer that's still shipping it?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Green things that scuttle to your feet and blow up shouldn't be allowed in games ><'

But seriously, loving it so far, had a bit of a rough start, couldn't get into the combat, but then I found a shotgun that worked and everything kinda clicked.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Y2Kev said:
:lol Whatever.

Alright, saying that it was rushing may be off - let's put it this way then - I guess the side stories didn't draw you in like they did for most people here... but in the end, there's nothing to argue about seeing as there's the New Game+ where you can continue anyways...

Actually, though the world is nicely fleshed out, the rewards are largely useless considering money is so out of wack in the game.

It's not just money you get, but you get lots of XP and Paragon?Renegade points that you won't get elsewhere as well, plus I do it for the story and interaction - plenty of rewards right there...

You definitely don't have to rush to complete the main quest in less than 20 hours.

I understood that a long time ago based on previews and reviws, again, I worded my post badly - my bad...

Littleberu said:
Can we access it at the beginning of the game (the first time in the Citadel?)

I'm missing 2 keeper, maybe that's where they are.
Yeah I don't know where this Flux is. Which area of the Citadel is it in?

God's Beard said:

Love this game. Love the combat, love the dialogue, even love the damn elevators that everyone else hates(I like hearing the news and idle conversation)

I love stuff like finding about the effects of Global warming and the origin of the pyramids.

on the space monkey planet, there's a ancient silver floating sphere thing. it needs a key or something, has anyone found it?

Yes its the
Trinket that the Consort gives you if you do the consort quest on the citadel

Littleberu said:

Yes you should be able to get there, but there is only 1 keeper inside.

Havok

God's Beard said:

Its the trinket the Consort lets you take when you get the elcor diplomat off her case after you talk to the general.

Edit: Awww...

watership

Littleberu said:

You know the area of the Wards where you can look out and see the long arms of the citadel? Its up one of the staircases. It has lots of Blue neon like signs all over it.

bud

Skilotonn said:
Alright, saying that it was rushing may be off - let's put it this way then - I guess the side stories didn't draw you in like they did for most people here... but in the end, there's nothing to argue about seeing as there's the New Game+ where you can continue anyways...

i'm like kev; i always finish the main storyline first when it comes to games that have a lot of sidequests/extra missions, and i do the rest after that. like, in the gta's, i want to know how the main storyline ends before i go out and explore the rest and do all the extra missions. that doesn't really mean that i don't like to explore and whatnot--it's the best part of those games--but i just like finishing the main part first. shrug.

and as you said, you can still come back, and do the extra stuff.

Diggler

The Lamonster said:
Yeah I don't know where this Flux is. Which area of the Citadel is it in?

It's in the main hub of the Wards where the reporter talks to you. The ramp leading up in the middle.

Nice music in there ;)

Sectus

I just finished watching all the videos on the bonus disc of the limited edition. Definitely not worth it. They spend the majority of the time babbling about how great Bioware and Mass Effect is. I get the impression they're constantly trying to sell me the game even though I've already freaking bought it. One part of the video is even dedicated to the founders of the company where different team members just talk about how great they are.

The Lamonster said:
Is the bartender conversation scene from E3 in the game? If so, where?

2006e3ms094sl.jpg

I don't really care about the bartender, I just want to visit that bar!
None of the scenes shown in that video is in the game. You can notice the voicework in the video is vastly different as well. There's no characters which sounds like that, even though Garrus sounds like the same voice actor he's acting in a completely different way.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This game feels so awkward. It's frustrating that they spent so much effort building the world and don't put that same effort into what you do there.

Darkman M

Littleberu said:

There are 4 keepers in the citadel tower i was missing two and found them there.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bud said:
i'm like kev; i always finish the main storyline first when it comes to games that have a lot of sidequests/extra missions, and i do the rest after that. like, in the gta's, i want to know how the main storyline ends before i go out and explore the rest and do all the extra missions. that doesn't really mean that i don't like to explore and whatnot--it's the best part of those games--but i just like finishing the main part first. shrug.

and as you said, you can still come back, and do the extra stuff.

I do the same as well now that I think about it - I just realized that it's how some of the side-quests were designed to hook you in - some can be finished after doing a few things, while a good bit of them have you continuing the story after you've resolved something, especially when you're being a good guy like myself, and keep trying to be helpful instead of refusing them -it's very addictive once you begin certain side-quests...

With Saint's Row I also finished the main game while only doing a side mission here and there, leaving just about all of them to do after I beat the main story...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Skilotonn said:

Actually, is there new game+? I really want to do it but I didn't see it.

Zzoram

TeethMummy said:
I swear to god Im starting to hate this game. I got past the first part of the
Matriarch Benezia fight
and now once I hit the second part where it saves after the conversation
I die instantly as soon as the fight starts because I get hit with blue orbs of some crazy magic that knocks me on my ass and drains my health for no apparent reason. I have not survived more than 10 seconds in this fight. Help me before I smash my 360

I had the same problem, I just kept at it, tried using different spell combos, lots of medpacks and grenades, and after a dozen tries I beat it :lol

but ya, get rid of the 4 waves first

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Littleberu said:

Yup, there's one there, and I'll bet that you don't have the one at
the docking bay that's asleep
- that was my last one...

It's really not that hard to find them all, it's just that I didn't get my last one for so long till then because I figured that if I went there, it would progress the story before I was finished - and I was wrong, thank goodness - you never have to leave if you don't want to...

subrock

TeethMummy said:
edit: nevermind.

I get it, she's invincible. Must kill minions.
you can kill her in the second part without killing the minions, I actually found it useful to kill her first and then make a mad dash out of the center part to one of the lower platforms and more cover. you also need to use dampening on her right away so she can use her barrier. I would usually get dampening and a could of warps going and unload my pistol into her (tee hee) right off the bat

Lostconfused said:
Yes its the
Trinket that the Consort gives you if you do the consort quest on the citadel

I'm pretty sure I did that quest, but I don't remember having the trinket. It's not in my secondary mission section, do I need to talk to someone? I already talked to the general and the elcor, do i need to talk to the general again?

MMaRsu

Hey where can I find this major kyle? I'm running around in his little ass compound but can't find him nowhere!

God's Beard said:
I'm pretty sure I did that quest, but I don't remember having the trinket. It's not in my secondary mission section, do I need to talk to someone? I already talked to the general and the elcor, do i need to talk to the general again?

No after that just go back to the consort, thats it i think.

Y2Kev said:
What does it carry over?

Everything except the codex and the paragon/renegade points.

subrock

Lostconfused said:
No after that just go back to the consort, thats it i think.

Everything except the codex and the paragon/renegade points.
and what does the sphere give you when united with its couterpart?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
10 tries later, can't kill her, cant kill any of the others. I immediately get hit with their fucking obnoxious blue magic and get shot to death in an instant as my body lays their immobilized. I loved Mass Effect until this boss fight. I want to play on, but this is so goddamn frustrating that I dont know if I'm going to.

MMaRsu

MMaRsu said:
Hey where can I find this major kyle? I'm running around in his little ass compound but can't find him nowhere!

Anyone? I want to continue so I'm gonna have to wait for an answer here :p

Gowans

I'm done for the night, just been playing for the last few hours (tho the save says Ive done a total of 4 :) )

Im up to the bit
where I have just got the pass for the garage & traveled through the snow and getting shot to shit in a tunnel.

I love this game, I normally rush through my games at a pace (reason why I hated Assassins Creed but with this game I'm just sitting, exploring reading from the note book all about the back story and the world, species etc... it just seems to full of character and history that makes sense.

I also love the turns the storys can take, I tryed to make amens at one point for gong down a dickhead path but I couldn't :lol

Stole some evidence to get a pass outside and the guy could have been a witness in court, I tried to convice him but he was having none of it.

The graphics & sound is amazing and the characters & world just, well they're are really engading for me. Love it saving the rest for tomorrow.

Fave moment so far
killing a bunch of dudes then came up to the last few & said I was a bad ass and if they say they will die so I let them run.

One thing that annoys me tho is the spartity or just miss placement of checkpoints/autosaves some points where I die over and over I have to rattle through a tonne of dialog or travel ages to get back to the point I die, good job the manual save option is there.

MMaRsu said:
Anyone? I want to continue so I'm gonna have to wait for an answer here :p

Went up to the huge building, talked to the guy on the intercom. Went to the other building. Entered it, went through the huge room took a right, moved through the door and there he is.

Or at least thats how i think it happened.

MMaRsu

Lostconfused said:
Went up to the huge building, talked to the guy on the intercom. Went to the other building. Entered it, went through the huge room took a right, moved through the door and there he is.

Or at least thats how i think it happened.

There's another building? Oh. I went inside the first one haha. Thanks man :)

Top Bottom