• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Burger

Munin said:
Yes, it's true. As I said a few pages earlier, I'm completely puzzled how some people get 40 hours out of the game. Do they run in circles in the Citadel for hours?

Really ? That's pretty disappointing. I've always revered Bioware's RPG's for their length in addition to the presentation.

Is this a case of more style than substance ? I'll wait until I finish before I draw any conclusions, but for what has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience so far, I'm not looking forward to the end.

Eric WK

Burger said:
Really ? That's pretty disappointing. I've always revered Bioware's RPG's for their length in addition to the presentation.

Is this a case of more style than substance ? I'll wait until I finish before I draw any conclusions, but for what has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience so far, I'm not looking forward to the end.

I'm at 20 hours and about half the way through it. The only way this game is short is if you do none of the side stuff and don't pay attention to the rich world Bioware has built.

Eric WK said:
I'm at 20 hours and about half the way through it. The only way this game is short is if you do none of the side stuff and don't pay attention to the rich world Bioware has built.
Exactly. If you've enjoyed previous Bioware games, you'll probably end up talking to a lot of people and exploring as much as possible and basically getting about 40 hours or more out of the game.

I think the people saying it's short are just sticking to the main quests and not talking to civilians or reading the Codex.

VALIS

Remember, the game clock doesn't count your play time, it counts your "forward progress" time. If you played for 5 hours, saved the game, then played for another five hours and died without saving or running into an auto save, you're credited with 5 hours on the clock, not 10.

If Kev finished the game with 13 hours on the clock, his play time was probably something more like 15-20 depending on how many times he re-did certain things.

Kabouter

VALIS said:
Remember, the game clock doesn't count your play time, it counts your "forward progress" time. If you played for 5 hours, saved the game, then played for another five hours and died without saving or running into an auto save, you're credited with 5 hours on the clock, not 10.

If Kev finished the game with 13 hours on the clock, his play time was probably something more like 15-20 depending on how many times he re-did certain things.
Probably, I had to go back 2 hours once, because I went into a restricted area by accident and triggered an event I didn't want to trigger :p. The ONE TIME when the game didn't autosave often enough :(. Just took a peek into the manual btw, found out the mako actually had a cannon and I'd been using a machinegun the whole time :lol. Thought the vehicle sections were a bit tricky compared to the rest :p.

Kabouter said:
Probably, I had to go back 2 hours once, because I went into a restricted area by accident and triggered an event I didn't want to trigger :p. The ONE TIME when the game didn't autosave often enough :(. Just took a peek into the manual btw, found out the mako actually had a cannon and I'd been using a machinegun the whole time :lol. Thought the vehicle sections were a bit tricky compared to the rest :p.
Yeah took me a while to notice the zoom on the vehicle (click R-stick).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
VALIS said:

I would say I played at least 20 hours. Reloads, death, etc.

This entire debate is silly. There is nothing wrong with a concise, satisfying storyline that is not overly long. Mass Effect is an amazingly well paced game. There is no drag in the story arc at all. This is different from nearly every other RPG on the market. On top of that, the shooter-style combat facilitates faster gameplay than a typical turn based or action based RPG.

Furthermore, I'm HARDLY done with the game. I plan on doing so much more. (is there a new game+ btw?)

Anyone arguing over the length of the game-- or to be honest, the length of any game-- needs to ask themselves whether or not they value some arbitrarily chosen number as a symbol of value taken away from a product or whether or not they had fun, were satisfied with the story and the gameplay, and were left full and anticipating the sequel.

Granted, there's a middle ground there-- there are games that are simply too short. I won't deny this.

But Mass Effect is not one of them.

Quagm1r3

I don't know if you'd call this a spoiler, but hypothetically, if you were to have a member of your squad who couldn't train in any weapons, by default, what would be the most effective type of weapon for this squadmate to use?

My biggest complaint is the elevators and the loading. The performance issues don't really bother me.

Also, we can't visit Mars? COME ON!

Quagm1r3 said:
I don't know if you'd call this a spoiler, but hypothetically, if you were to have a member of your squad who couldn't train in any weapons, by default, what would be the most effective type of weapon for this squadmate to use?
Pistol.

Kabouter

The Lamonster said:
My biggest complaint is the elevators and the loading. The performance issues don't really bother me.

Also, we can't visit Mars? COME ON!

Pistol.
No Mars was a disappointment for me too.
Moon was gorgeous though, view you had from there on earth was pretty.
Shame you can't visit earth either :(.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kabouter said:

I really wanted to see it. The population of 11.4 billion was intriguing.

Kabouter said:
Yeah there should be a gorgeous Earth city to visit.

Also, after so many obvious Alien/Aliens/Terminator/Independence Day/Blade Runner nods, you'd think there'd be a cool Mars mission for Total Recall fans.

One can hope for DLC and/or sequel though.

Kildace

Y2Kev said:
I blew through the end of the game, so maybe. I do wonder if that's because I finally understood the battle engine though.

This is what I love the most about the combat.

In the beginning I thought that it was only meh. I had issues with getting my team to do what i wanted, I felt overwhelmed by the biotics and not in control of fights at all.

After 15 hours, I crowd control, instakill and I feel completely in control of the situation, pausing when I need to, picking off ennemies one by one, etc .. It fels really rewarding and is one of the things I love the most about this game.

Zzoram

Help

For the side quest of clearing the 4 geth bases, how do you clear the one that's just tons of Armitures and rocket soldiers? My MAKO is getting like 1 shot off at a time and having to retreat

Zzoram said:
Help

For the side quest of clearing the 4 geth bases, how do you clear the one that's just tons of Armitures and rocket soldiers? My MAKO is getting like 1 shot off at a time and having to retreat
Use the Mako's zoom and aim from a distance.

careksims

Im on my 2nd playthrough and I have to say this is one of the best RPGs I've played in a looong time. The little hiccups and screentears do not bother me one bit. I'm playing as a soldier and I haven't had any problems. My RPG of the year with Persona 3, 2nd.

Im really confused as to why the game took as long as it did to come out, for what the finished product is like. For the amount of planets there are, not many can be explored. The ones you do explore are very bare except for the TWO different interior styles there can be(and their all laid out the same). Technical problems, short main quest. I dont want the main quest to end, but I know it will sooner rather than later. I know some people say "do the sidequests" and I do, but the main ones are just SO much better, and more compelling.

I know much last few posts have been all whining, but I whine because I care :(

I'm on 15 hours. Recruited all the party members, done a bit of feros and a couple of side quests. Lots to do and from where I stand it looks as though I've barely even begun.

Bioware, I love you.

Dalauz

Zzoram said:
Help

press down the right thumbstick and tons of LB LB LB LB

Darkman M

Munin said:
Yes, it's true. As I said a few pages earlier, I'm completely puzzled how some people get 40 hours out of the game. Do they run in circles in the Citadel for hours?

Im the opposite im really puzzled how you guys run through this game in 13 hours and im just getting out of citadel and im over 10+ hours in the game.

Do you even try to the sidequest? thats where all the beef is imo.

also:

Seems both the blue lass and ashley are getting a bit sweaty for some shepard loving. Thing is i seem to be leading them both down the romance plot line. Will this stop either of the plots working out or not? dont wanna screw myself over playing the field so to speak.

duckroll

I'm not sure why anyone would want to finish this game in 13 hours. I'm over 8 hours in the game now, and storywise I only did the mining planet mission after leaving the Citadel. There's a shitload of optional quests to do, and every other warp jump I get messages giving me new quests.

Darkman M

Lonesome_Raod said:
also:

Seems both the blue lass and ashley are getting a bit sweaty for some shepard loving. Thing is i seem to be leading them both down the romance plot line. Will this stop either of the plots working out or not? dont wanna screw myself over playing the field so to speak.

From what ive heard you eventually have to pick one of them.

Darkman M

duckroll said:
I'm not sure why anyone would want to finish this game in 13 hours. I'm over 8 hours in the game now, and storywise I only did the mining planet mission after leaving the Citadel. There's a shitload of optional quests to do, and every other warp jump I get messages giving me new quests.

My thoughts exactly, maybe they think this is a shooter :lol

Burger

Fair call about the length. I suppose a thoroughly enjoyable 20 hours is much better than a drawn out, boring 40 hours (did somebody say FFX?).

Zzoram said:
:lol

I thought the left trigger pull in closer was the most zoom the MAKO had. The scope worked great, thanks.
Don't forget to press "A" so your Mako can jump. This is a good way to dodge rockets and enemy fire.

Hey guys, I just got Jalhead arrested, but I feel kinda bad.

I scanned 19 keeper, and I don't know if I should have scanned the other two.

Should've?

Darkman M

Zzoram said:
To get Ashley in bed, do you need to be a Paragon? Or just nice to her?

From what ive heard just being nice to her talking to her after every mission will do. Ive also heard her dialog seems to favor the renegade type player:lol it doesn't effect the romance plot though from what ive heard. Im barely in the main quest so this is just hearsay.

duckroll

Wait what the fuck. You can zoom in while in the Mako? Jesus, the controls in this game are about as intuitive as Arsari mating rituals. I didn't even realize that the Mako had a cannon until I was forced to take out a bunch of turrets and I was thinking "there's got to be a better way!".... :lol

duckroll said:
Wait what the fuck. You can zoom in while in the Mako? Jesus, the controls in this game are about as intuitive as Arsari mating rituals. I didn't even realize that the Mako had a cannon until I was forced to take out a bunch of turrets and I was thinking "there's got to be a better way!".... :lol

Maybe read the manual.

Littleberu said:
Maybe read the manual.

Not even that, hit some damn buttons on the controller after you land to see what they do, I haven't touched the manual at all, and I figured everything out pretty quickly on my own.

duckroll

Putting a fire button on RB, and a zoom on RS aren't exactly intuitive choices. Those are buttons that most of the time no one will press. :p

watership

duckroll said:

I'm having a debate about this very thing right now in my office. One side wants to see the games story through. The "What happens next" can make you power through the game to see the end result. The other side wants to explore and experience everything... with little tastes of the main story line bit by bit. I'm on the explore side, and I can't wait to play it all over again with a completely different tact.

Kosma

Banned
I haven't had the chance to play the game, as I don't even own a 360 anymore, but I came in this fine thread to say that we had the game running in out store today, and the music on the title screen alone makes me want to play this baby dammit. Jesus that's some awesome music, really Blade Runnerish, Vangelis synthesizer thing going for it. Is there somewhere where I can get this music?

oo Kosma oo said:
I haven't had the chance to play the game, as I don't even own a 360 anymore, but I came in this fine thread to say that we had the game running in out store today, and the music on the title screen alone makes me want to play this baby dammit. Jesus that's some awesome music, really Blade Runnerish, Vangelis synthesizer thing going for it. Is there somewhere where I can get this music?
I love all the music. It's so moody and awesome.

And looks like the official soundtrack was delayed until "after December 24th."

duckroll said:
Putting a fire button on RB, and a zoom on RS aren't exactly intuitive choices. Those are buttons that most of the time no one will press. :p

Actually zoom on RS is pretty much what most fps games do. I just didnt think of using it in mass effect. It does work for the mako and the sniper rifle.

MMaRsu

Haha Wrex said the most awesome thing..I was rescuing Alari or whatever her name is ( that blue alien chick ) and the whole ruins were coming down..

On the lift Wrex says : If we die in here, I'll kill you

:lol :lol :lol

Littleberu said:
I scanned 19 keeper, and I don't know if I should have scanned the other two.

Should've?
Yes, you get alot of XP.

oo Kosma oo said:
As awesome as the opening screen's theme is, there is better music in the game!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
If you blasted through this game in 13 hours, then you really must not have a love for exploration - I'm 8 hours and 30 mins into the game, and I'm still at the Citadel - I conversate with everyone I come across, and I'm addicted to the side-quests, which are brilliant, and give the people character and background...

I'm so in love with the world of Mass Effect that I don't see myself rushing through it whatsoever...

And with the complaints I heard about the elevators, I expected worse - it takes as long as I'd expect in any elevator, and doesn't seem long to me at all...

Anyways, back to finishing up side-quests!

Top Bottom