• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Belgorim

About 20 hours in now... the game seriously exceeds all my expectations. Very impressed with the amount of work on the details in the Codex. Interesting stuff.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Draft said:
I guess that I disagree? The party management and equipment interface, outside of actually managing your extra items, is pretty good and just stinks of something you're supposed to manipulate with a game pad. Very little click and move, lots of right bumper left bumper.

What do you mean good? All your complaints listed above make it anything other than good. Maybe I'm not getting it, but what makes up "party management and equipment interface" other than managing your extra items? Like being able to quickly jump from character to character and equip them with stuff? That's fine, but you sort of have the expectation that there is no conceivable way they could bungle that one. Still, it's problematic. They don't really sort the weapons by class (all the Kesslers should be together) or attribute-- like the best gun should be at the top or something.

The problem is that it's very inconsistent. If you convert a weapon to omnigel, it stays where you have the cursor in the management window. If you do it in the upgrade window, the cursor shoots back to the top every time

As to mapping powers to a button, I have not used the feature once, and doubt that I would do so even if I could map them to multiple buttons. The magic powers just feel like they are supposed to be used from a pause menu.

Again I disagree. Some powers lend themselves to the pause menu-- anything like throw, singularity, etc., needs to be aimed properly. But barrier? Just mapping that saved me tons of time.

watership said:
I seriously disagree with this feeling "PC interface smashed down into a console". It's just not designed as well as say.. Oblivion. Oblivion was easy as pie with a controller and more complex. Outside of the accuracy of a mouse, a gamepad can do anything a PC control can do. Tabs, button mappings sorting options could have fixed this interface.

Well, of course, but no one is going to design an interface that would work for the both of them. It wouldn't play to the strengths of either. Maybe you can navigate Diablo's inventory window with a control pad, but you wouldn't want to.

I just do not like how "unsorted" it is, I guess.

Kittonwy

Banned
I decided to pass on Ass Creed and pick up this game, still not sure if I've made the right choice. I liked KOTOR quite a bit but disliked Jade Empire with a passion.

I played it a bit of it yesterday after I got home from work, I'm still very early in the game, so far I like the sense of scale although there are lots of characters I just don't get to talk to, the conversations I do get into just kind of ramble on and on. I wish they would just give the player the option to switch between voice and text. With all these people in the Citadel they could have put some people noise in it, too quiet.

The shooter combat was kind of weak, probably because the framerate was choppy (no tearing but I guess this is what you get for not switching framebuffer, the framerate goes from somewhat tolerable to poor) and the enemies are kind of dumb (correction: the enemies ARE dumb), hopefully it will get better, not really digging the cover system at all, character movement is rather slow and I'm not used to not being able to vault over cover points like in UDF and Gears.

I don't really like the idea that hitting the enemies is being determined by some sort of dice roll. I turned off the grain filter effect and the motion blur so as to make it less disorientating, the roadie-run type camera has got to go, it's NOT good for playability. Ashley is kind of cute because of that sexy armor she wears but every other character in the game I feel the urge to just kill (Kaiden-kill, woman doctor-kill, creepy captain-kill, Joker-kill, those stupid ambassadors-kill). The character models are quite detailed but they could have given them more idle animations, they have some nice vistas though, maybe it's a UE3 thing but the lighting aside from an appropriately placed light source there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of dynamic lights, but the game does a good job masking that.

The frequent loading and game save freeze are both annoying problems with the game.
Indifferent2.gif

Draft

Y2Kev said:
What do you mean good? All your complaints listed above make it anything other than good. Maybe I'm not getting it, but what makes up "party management and equipment interface" other than managing your extra items? Like being able to quickly jump from character to character and equip them with stuff? That's fine, but you sort of have the expectation that there is no conceivable way they could bungle that one. Still, it's problematic. They don't really sort the weapons by class (all the Kesslers should be together) or attribute-- like the best gun should be at the top or something.
I mean good in that moving between the members of my party, comparing the items they have on versus the items in my inventory, and modifying those items (save the annoying omission of being able to back out of the upgrade interface with B) feels intuitive. None of my complaints are directed at the menu that's used to equip characters in your party with items, as I actually feel that's pretty well put together. It's just that using it becomes an unholy pain when the list your picking those items from is an ungodly mess, and of course it's frustrating to not be able to see the inventory of all your characters at once.

In an effort to be constructive, this is what needs to happen to Mass Effect 2's inventory (or God willing, Mass Effect 1.1):

1. Up the item limit to 300, or just get rid of it altogether.
2. Allow mods to stack. They are presumably just little things. This isn't Resident Evil. A special type of ammo shouldn't take up the same amount of inventory space as a sniper rifle.
3. AUTO SORT ITEMS. Sort them first alphabetically, then by number.
4. Add weapon, armor, weapon mod and armor mod tabs to the buy/sell windows.
5. Dynamic scrolling speed. Start it out slow, then pick up the pace. You know how we like it.
6. On board the Normandy, allow access to every character's inventory in the menu. Just forget those lockers ever existed.
7. When comparing an item in the shop interface, have it bring up every person's equipped item. In addition, have it show that characters skill in using that item (just plaster the skill bar underneath.)

With those changes, inventory management would be just about perfect.

Kabouter

Draft said:
I have to say, I was expecting to run into this a lot, but I never once had a full inventory. Maybe it was because I converted/sold a lot of stuff I felt I wouldn't need.

6. On board the Normandy, allow access to every character's inventory in the menu. Just forget those lockers ever existed.
YES.

7. When comparing an item in the shop interface, have it bring up every person's equipped item. In addition, have it show that characters skill in using that item (just plaster the skill bar underneath.)
YES.

Dalauz

I agree with Draft list also they need a display that show modificied stats by mods. When you have 3 slot guns and 2 slot armors in 3 characters is kinda hard.

Kesller VI pistol 100 (112) damage

Draft

Kabouter said:
I have to say, I was expecting to run into this a lot, but I never once had a full inventory. Maybe it was because I converted/sold a lot of stuff I felt I wouldn't need.
I read enough warnings before I started playing, so I kept on top of that stuff. I've had the warning pop up a couple times, and once I went over the limit by 2 (hello, Moon Base Mod.)
I agrre with Draft list aslo they need a display that show modificied stats by mods.

Kesller VI pistol 100 (112) damage
Yes, that is another great suggestion. Maybe color the bit of damage that the mod adds different only the bar.

Y2Kev

Draft said:
I mean good in that moving between the members of my party, comparing the items they have on versus the items in my inventory, and modifying those items (save the annoying omission of being able to back out of the upgrade interface with B) feels intuitive. None of my complaints are directed at the menu that's used to equip characters in your party with items, as I actually feel that's pretty well put together.

Okay, that's fair enough, but I really think some of the management complaints seep in here. When I'm trying to equip Ashley with the best bullet type, I have to sort through a really unorganized mess to find what I want. So, in the sense that once I know what I want it's easy to see the impact this will have, it's often tough to find it. And you're right, being unable to back out of the upgrade screen with B is weird and I often end up equipping something on accident.

It's just that using it becomes an unholy pain when the list your picking those items from is an ungodly mess, and of course it's frustrating to not be able to see the inventory of all your characters at once.

oh lulz you said this

In an effort to be constructive, this is what needs to happen to Mass Effect 2's inventory (or God willing, Mass Effect 1.1):

2. Allow mods to stack. They are presumably just little things. This isn't Resident Evil. A special type of ammo shouldn't take up the same amount of inventory space as a sniper rifle.
3. AUTO SORT ITEMS. Sort them first alphabetically, then by number.
4. Add weapon, armor, weapon mod and armor mod tabs to the buy/sell windows.
5. Dynamic scrolling speed. Start it out slow, then pick up the pace. You know how we like it.

With those changes, inventory management would be just about perfect.

sounds hot to me!

VALIS

Draft said:
7. When comparing an item in the shop interface, have it bring up every person's equipped item.

It does... sometimes. I don't know what the catch is, but you can compare a store item to what everyone in your party has with some shop keepers, but not with others. Dunno why.

rubso

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I decided to pass on Ass Creed and pick up this game, still not sure if I've made the right choice. I liked KOTOR quite a bit but disliked Jade Empire with a passion.

I played it a bit of it yesterday after I got home from work, I'm still very early in the game, so far I like the sense of scale although there are lots of characters I just don't get to talk to, the conversations I do get into just kind of ramble on and on. I wish they would just give the player the option to switch between voice and text. With all these people in the Citadel they could have put some people noise in it, too quiet.

The shooter combat was kind of weak, probably because the framerate was choppy (no tearing but I guess this is what you get for not switching framebuffer, the framerate goes from somewhat tolerable to poor) and the enemies are kind of dumb (correction: the enemies ARE dumb), hopefully it will get better, not really digging the cover system at all, character movement is rather slow and I'm not used to not being able to vault over cover points like in UDF and Gears.

I don't really like the idea that hitting the enemies is being determined by some sort of dice roll. I turned off the grain filter effect and the motion blur so as to make it less disorientating, the roadie-run type camera has got to go, it's NOT good for playability. Ashley is kind of cute because of that sexy armor she wears but every other character in the game I feel the urge to just kill (Kaiden-kill, woman doctor-kill, creepy captain-kill, Joker-kill, those stupid ambassadors-kill). The character models are quite detailed but they could have given them more idle animations, they have some nice vistas though, maybe it's a UE3 thing but the lighting aside from an appropriately placed light source there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of dynamic lights, but the game does a good job masking that.

The frequent loading and game save freeze are both annoying problems with the game.
Indifferent2.gif
It's over, I'm gonna cancel my order
angry.gif

Kittonwy, I want you to rename Mass Effect, please
angry.gif

Draft

VALIS said:
It does... sometimes. I don't know what the catch is, but you can compare a store item to what everyone in your party has with some shop keepers, but not with others. Dunno why.
Not everyone in your party, everyone in total. All 6 minions and the main character. The reason being that you might see a particularly hot looking sniper rifle on a vendor somewhere, but not have any sniper rifle using characters in your current party. So you either pass on the item, or grab it and hope that the one bird man or big lip girl are using isn't better.

soco

i don't think the UI for this game was really user tested. there are a ton of thorns on the thing in the interface department. they've tried too hard to map everything to buttons instead of having a menu and it didn't really pay off. plus there's some really bad ideas like having the auto-save always appear at the top of the load menu, instead of the most recent save and the lack of sorting in the equipment list (oddly i think it's sorted when you go to sell...)

i get the impression the development team spent more time doing something other than details in the game. maybe another game or just trying to get UE to work with some of the things they were trying to do. is there really a need for thrasing the disc when i'm just moving around solar system screen? are there that many new textures that have to be loaded?

Y2Kev

they probably spent all their time working on the sonic rpg since that's gonna be the big franchise for bioware for the next 40 to 50 years

Draft

Oh shit, that reminds me of an entirely non-item related interface bungle.

With the absolute deluge of quests that involve gallivanting around the galaxy scanning planets and dropping your humvee onto brightly colored rock 7, how in the FUCK do you justify not having the journal accessible from the galaxy map. I mean FO REAL. Can a brother please check if he's supposed to be in the Amazon system of the Herschel Vega Cluster or the Perseus system of the Medulla Oblongata Rift?

AND ANOTHER THING! I was wrong earlier in this thread. There is no goddamn way to skip forward dialog that guarantees you won't pick the wrong damn response when the dialog oval ambushes your ass.

The real talk on ME is that it is a genius game, but it has just WAY too many interface issues to even approach perfect status. It is a testament to the game's value that I soldier on in spite of these issues, but my word, whoever was quality checking the interface on this game was indulging into a little too much Canadian government sanctioned kind.

Y2Kev

Draft said:

With the absolute deluge of quests that involve gallivanting around the galaxy scanning planets and dropping your humvee onto brightly colored rock 7, how in the FUCK do you justify not having the journal accessible from the galaxy map. I mean FO REAL. Can a brother please check if he's supposed to be in the Amazon system of the Herschel Vega Cluster or the Perseus system of the Medulla Oblongata Rift?

Another good suggestion.

AND ANOTHER THING! I was wrong earlier in this thread. There is no goddamn way to skip forward dialog that guarantees you won't pick the wrong damn response when the dialog oval ambushes your ass.

Yeah, you were wrong, but I have a way around it. Hold the analog stick to where your answer usually appears and just mash on X. This did wonders for me during the
Benezia
dialog that you can't skip.

Draft

Y2Kev said:
Yeah, you were wrong, but I have a way around it. Hold the analog stick to where your answer usually appears and just mash on X. This did wonders for me during the
Benezia
dialog that you can't skip.
That is not really my issue, though. At first, I listen to the spoken dialog, because it is kind of neat or whatever. Then, I stop, because I've got that hunger, that RPG hunger, and I just want to consume content. Because I am a product of the Catholic school system, I read much faster than these guys speak, and I start skipping the second half of all the dialog snippets, which is fine, until the response tree LEAPS OUT OF NOWHERE and before I know it I told the blue girl to fuck off instead of to fuck me.

Phthisis said:
Dear god this game is having a mass effect on my life. I played for 8.5 hours straight today. 8.5 hours! The last time I did that I was in high school and beat Skies of Arcadia over Christmas break.
Yeah I totally did not expect to get addicted to this game. My friends are going to get pissed that I'm not hanging out at all anymore. It's just like summer of '06, the Oblivion days. I actually made myself sick because of this game. I stay up too late and wake up too early and now I have this horrible cold but I can't. stop. playing.

Kittonwy

Banned
Why don't they just have hacking tools and repair kits instead of fucking omnigel? Things don't unlock when you put gel on it, it really doesn't, maybe it can make your hair grow back, but sure as fuck it won't unlock some lock or repair machinery, I mean it's just fucking gel ffs.
angry.gif

Oh and when you're in combat, you should be running all the time when you're not aiming, why would someone go into a light job in combat? What's the benefit of that? Cardio? Fat-burning?
Indifferent2.gif

ElyrionX

Sectus said:
If you haven't figured it out already, maxing out Pistol is definitely worth it. The pistol deals a ton of damage if it's maxed and you'll get to use Marksman very often.

In my opinion warp isn't worth it to put too many points into. I'd put enough points into it to unlock singularity and I think that was enough. The damage it does is very small, although reducing the enemies' protection is rather handy. But I don't think it's worth it to max it.

Lift and Singularity have basically the same usage: stunning enemies (although you can also use them to move cover around or try to position enemies so you can Throw them off the level for an instakill). When putting points into singularity it mainly increases the range of the effect, while lift increases the duration. Having a longer duration is definitely better than a bigger range for the spell. I'd say Lift is definitely worthwhile to max. Having multiple enemies stunned for ~12 seconds is a really really useful ability. I think it's worthwhile to at least unlock singularity, but I wouldn't put too many points into it.

Throw is a pretty handy ability which is also fun to use. The damage it does is very small (although it's capable of an instakill if you throw enemies off the level), but can be very useful to move enemies out of the way and stun them for a few seconds. Especially useful against Krogans who rush at you and try to beat you to death. Although the difference between a low level Throw and a high level Throw isn't that big. The damage difference is tiny but they will fly a bit further away. I put lots of points into Throw, but I didn't get the impression it was worth it. Maxing it halfway should be more than enough.

There's no reason in trying to balance Charm and Intimidate. Each time you get to use intidimate you also have the option to use charm. It's better to max one of them instead of putting points into both.

Regarding the Adept attribute. I'm really not sure. I'd say it's something you should regard as a backup attribute to throw points into if you're not sure what else to increase.

Thanks, that was helpful.

I had actually wanted to ignore Pistol entirely and to simply max my four offensive biotics. Looks like I may have to think twice about that now.

Also, do you really get free points in Charm or Intimidate as the other guy said above? I've already put 3 points into charm and 1 point into intimidate.

g23

European pre-madonna
Guys i just got this game and haven't opened it yet and won't until the new 52 inch samsung gets here.

Just one question. Is it a more enjoyable experience then even COD IV?

also are the GFX stunning?

TheWolf

Banned
i'm level 42 now and just hit Noveria. i get the feeling that
The Matriarch is gonna be no match for my Elite Spectre Pistol with Level VII incendiary rounds.
:lol

i really hope there is some kind of special Spectre armor as well, cause the variations of the Spectre weapons are all kinds of rock.

i'll be spending A LOT of time making a character for another playthrough. i just wanted to start playing so i said fuck it and just used the default male Shepard.

Odrion

Banned
I never had any interface problems, heh.

But yeah, if we're all going to nitpick: All of the planets outside of the main quests are all the fucking same. A recolor of the same texture sloshed on a field that was randomly generated and whenever you need to go inside a base in one of these planets it's always the same brown base. It's not that bad but the quality difference between the main quest levels and the side quest levels are staggering.

Odrion said:
I never had any interface problems, heh.

But yeah, if we're all going to nitpick: All of the planets outside of the main quests are all the fucking same. A recolor of the same texture sloshed on a field that was randomly generated and whenever you need to go inside a base in one of these planets it's always the same brown base. It's not that bad but the quality difference between the main quests levels and the side quest levels are staggering.
The environmental effects differ and so do the (rare) wildlife. The skies are always different too. Some planets have relatively flat surfaces and some have huge mountains. They differ enough for me, but I'd like to see some fog or water every once and a while...

soco

g23 said:
Just one question. Is it a more enjoyable experience then even COD IV?

depends upon the type of experience you like. if you generally prefer exploring and talking to shooting, and you can get past the RPG shooting (shooting is actually rolling dice to see if you hit, more so than a shooter).

soco said:
depends upon the type of experience you like. if you generally prefer exploring and talking to shooting, and you can get past the RPG shooting (shooting is actually rolling dice to see if you hit, more so than a shooter).
I love FPS and RPG, but I've gotten so much more out of Mass Effect. As far as online twitch multiplayer though, CoD4 probably rules all atm.

Kittonwy

Banned
soco said:

Is there a difference between aiming for the head and the rest of the body? So far I'm not really seeing any, I just aim at the damn triangle and tap RT.

I'm 33 hours in and I just did the mission
Where you find out the ship is a reaper

holy shit that whole thing was more intense than anything so far. I don't get how people can even complain about this game, the only problem I've had so far is some wierd pathfinding stuff for the Asari chick when I left my xbox on for 12 solid hours of playing. I actually even like the menus.

Your words are as empty as your future!

Geth Prime lol

"Also, do you really get free points in Charm or Intimidate as the other guy said above?"

Does anyone know the answer to this? I have one point in charm that I don't remember putting there, so it could be true.

yukoner

Draft said:

Brotha, you should check your journal before going into the map, or press x and wait for the 1.5 second load time.

Now we're just nit-picking...

Yep, the X button.

The real talk on ME is that it is a genius game, but it has just WAY too many interface issues to even approach perfect status. It is a testament to the game's value that I soldier on in spite of these issues, but my word, whoever was quality checking the interface on this game was indulging into a little too much Canadian government sanctioned kind.

You're really overblowing it. The interface for selling your stuff is very easy, you should use it more. I found that I would simply sell off entire levels of stuff. You can sell off all Level V inventory in about 10 seconds, which was an easy way to keep my inventory down, and lots of credits in the bank.

Generally I would sell everything two levels behind what I was currently picking up, so if I'm finding level VI stuff, I'd make sure to sell off everything up to and including level IV.

As for taking a long tome to choose upgrades, I don't know what you guys are complaining about, they automatically put the most powerful upgrades at the top of the list, it's pretty much a snap to scroll through the Top 10 and find your upgrade.

careksims

It was so funny because 15 hours in and I didn't realize you could skip the dialogue by pressing X. All that time i actually let them talk.

Now I'm on my 2nd playthrough and just taking my sweet time. I'm just having a blast.

Cedeo

Just got this game, played it for an hour and all its looks pretty repetitive, does it get better and can you pilot spacecraft at all?

Piper Az

The Lamonster said:
The environmental effects differ and so do the (rare) wildlife. The skies are always different too. Some planets have relatively flat surfaces and some have huge mountains. They differ enough for me, but I'd like to see some fog or water every once and a while...

The planets, while desolate, are amazing; I can't believe they actually spent time on making their terrains and what not - must've been a huge pain in the ass.

JayDubya

Banned
Digital Limit said:
"Also, do you really get free points in Charm or Intimidate as the other guy said above?"

Does anyone know the answer to this? I have one point in charm that I don't remember putting there, so it could be true.

According to the strategy guide, yes.

You have to get more Paragon to get the ability to spend more ranks in Charm, or Renegade for Intimidate. When you cross certain thresholds, you unlock more slots to put points in and get some bonus ranks of Charm / Intimidate.

I believe it's three points total for either. I don't know how this works with New Game +.

Just finished the game first time. Took me about 25 hours and honestly the last few hours really made all my previous completes seem less important, their that good :D. I wish I could use my same character again AND still change the physical appearence, well atleast minor stuff like makeup (the eyeshadow may have been a bad idea)

Piper Az said:
The planets, while desolate, are amazing; I can't believe they actually spent time on making their terrains and what not - must've been a huge pain in the ass.

Im guessing make the sideplanets were the easiest part to make. it really is the same for all of them just different color, sky, and some atmospherics. It shouldnt be very hard to to make mountains with todays development software

White Man

Also, don't forget, those side planets SCREAM downloadable content. I mean, who knows if they actually plan on doing that, but they would be perfect opportunities.

Random question here, but does anyone know where you can find the Chemical Rounds for the shotgun?

I'm asking because I found them somewhere in the Citadel, but died and lost my save. Christ, I need to remember to save more often.

White Man said:
Also, don't forget, those side planets SCREAM downloadable content. I mean, who knows if they actually plan on doing that, but they would be perfect opportunities.

They talked about "massive" downloadable content
(c wut i did thar)

Top Bottom