• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

GuessWho

can anyone explain to me the shocktrooper/comamndo skill or whatever it is. I chose shocktrooper but i don't see anything in the squad menu. Am I missing something?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Is there any ultimate armor in this game? I got the Spectre weapons but haven't seen any super rad armor.

Darkman M

GuessWho said:
can anyone explain to me the shocktrooper/comamndo skill or whatever it is. I chose shocktrooper but i don't see anything in the squad menu. Am I missing something?

It's under your skills for me it took the place of soldier i choose commando. You can spend skill points on it like every other skill.

Hunter D

Dartastic said:
While I'm enjoying the game immensely, the things I'm having the most difficulty adjusting to aren't things that are hard to fix, such as framerate, etc. I'm getting irritated at the stuff that a good QA team should find and report to the developers. Things such as the lack of convienient save points, crazy difficulty spikes, weird graphical glitches, and an absolutely shit inventory system are just some of the problems that should have been taken care of by a good testing team. Who knows, maybe the testers did report these issues and the devs didn't have time to fix them, but this game has many issues that I assume would be quick, easy fixes, but they weren't taken care of.
Save Points? You save where ever you want. I really don't know what crazy difficulty spikes you guys are talking about. The only parts that were difficult are the boss battles, which are supposed to be tough. The inventory system is crap. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees it is. Still, this is the best game I have played this gen. The writing and acting in this game is Hollywood level.

Draft

I just conquered it. What an ending. WHAT AN ENDING.

For those that care, my vital stats are as follows:

Play time: about 25 hours.
Level: I dunno 40-something. I can't be arsed to start up the Xbox and check.
Lesbian Alien Encounters: 1.

That 25 hours comprised doing the main quest, and every side quest I could find, except the "find 10 turian insignias/matriarch writings/prothean recording" ones. I definitely have 2 or 3 systems/clusters whatever that I never even touched, and frankly, I don't really feel the need to do so.

Perhaps my memory is failing me, but this seems about on par with most western RPGs that I've played. Did I sink more than 25 hours into my first playthrough of Fallout? or Planescape? Or KOTOR? I can't remember. KOTOR seemed longer. Either way, the game is of a goodly length. The main quest has a brisk pace that never feels overwhelming, though I recommend doing most of your side missions between leaving the citadel and starting the 3rd story planet, because after that you may feel to compelled to complete the main quest to bother with exploring and scanning and what have you.

I cannot say enough good things about ME combat. It is, to me, the perfect amalgamation of console dumbness with PC depth. The peanut butter of taking cover and aiming true combined with the jelly of casting magic from a pause menu is a delicious combination.

I am fighting that GOTY tingle. It's too early to say. The game is too fresh in my mind, my desire for it too overwhelming. But that tingle persists. It says, "yo, in spite of my numerous technical and interface flaws, I am the best game that's going to be released in 2008. How do you like them apples?"

I like them, gentlemen. I like them a lot.

Sallokin

I'm curious how Bioware/EA are going to handle the sequel.
With the decisions you get to make like killing team mates, deciding the fate of the council, deciding the first human council representative, whether or not your character is a paragon/renegade etc,
how are they going to implement those things into the second game? Is it going to be one of those things where they're going to work from one specific ending type regardless of how you played?

do people who finished this game in 15 hours not do side quests?

I am well past 20+ hours and im not done, but I have been doing all the side quests, this game is longer than I expected.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think Mass Effect really lived up to everything I hoped I'd get from it, so I can't complain. I mean I AM playing it twice.

And I do think that KOTOR's main story quest is longer, but less satisfying.

I keep thinking GOTY too. The technical issues bother others much more than they bother me. I had been excited for Halo 3 for about 2 years...and I mean REALLY excited...but after playing this, well I don't know what to think about Halo.

For me, Mass Effect has always been a day 1 purchase confirmed, but I had NO idea I'd end up liking it this much. It fills the gaps that have come from a lot of recent games and movies and music - it seems like it's tailored to my tastes. For example, I love electronic music, I love sci-fi, I love inventory management, I love girls with green eyes and black hair, I love elevators (j/k) etc.

A lot of how much I like it is based around my choices. This game is all about choice so IMO, my personal Shepard was the most badass, beautiful character in ANY medium.

Linkzg said:
do people who finished this game in 15 hours not do side quests?

I am well past 20+ hours and im not done, but I have been doing all the side quests, this game is longer than I expected.

I finished in 18 and did a bunch of planets and sidequests. Finished at level 41 and enjoyed the game at that length. Any more and that inventory system would have driven me nuts.

20071119.jpg

But seriously this really is one of those games where you might want to take a look at the manual before you start.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
yeah the fact there's an elevator in the normandy is annoying enough, but to split all the important NPCS over the two levels of the ship just really grates, especially since it's pretty much all the interesting characters on the bottom half (bar Garrius, that guy's a snore) and you need to be on the top half to move the ship.

Im nearing the end now, I just got my
alien sex
which was nice, I really do like it, as a huge KOTOR fan I wasn't really expecting something so similar but it really is just that game with much better combat and exploration systems and digital acting in the conversations.

When I think about it though, I have a lot of issues with it, I can see why Penny Arcade felt the need for a nitpicking series because it really does fill you with that 'if only they could have...' kind of a feeling.

Most of my gripes are minor, technical issues (the pop-in is the worst I've ever seen in a game, it's halo 2 cutscenes but all through the game), or things I know they'll do better in future installments (ie variation/depth in missions and exploration activities).

I do have major issues with what they've done to the companion stuff since KOTOR though, It feels much more shallow, I dont have to work to win anyones approval, all the important interactions are in cutscenes I cant avoid. I understand that this is supposed to be an approachable RPG, but they've turned the NPCs into nothing more than walking encyclopedias of their own lives, I want them to react to how they are treated.

soco

ok i dunno if anyone brought this up, but i thought it was kinda cool when doing the
VI mission on the moon. after you finish, it spits out some binary numbers which if you check them on an ascii table spells out HELP.

Darkman M

Im 20+ hours deep only on chapter 3, and as soon as im done with it im going back and playing as renegade. There are so many things too see or do that you cant do it in one play thorough. Ive never replayed a game as soon as i finished it this will be the first. As of right now this is my fav game so far this gen it's just amazing the amount of work they put into it and it shows.

The technical issues aren't that bad for me i can easily look pass them because of the wonderful story and gameplay. This game surpasses all hopes i had for it.

Meier

I love it -- but I absolutely hate how random the auto-saves are. Every time it brings up the ship loading screen, it should do an autosave. I know I should be more proactive about saving, but I keep forgetting it hasn't autosaved and then I die and want to throw my controller.

Another minor niggle is the fact there are so many achievements based on do this X number of times, yet it doesn't give your stats anywhere. I also am a bit annoyed at the fact it's such a hassle to switch party members yet it's so important to do so. I've grown to like Garrus and Liara in addition to myself. Garrus and Ashley is a nice combo too.

I've not encountered anything that I'd assume would lead to romance yet.. so I dunno if I just missed out or what.

segarr

Romance subplot help from anyone who knows about it....

So, I just stole my ship back (After Anderson BITCH SLAPPED Udina) and am headed to Ilos to stop Saren. On the way there, Liara enters the room and we have our little sex scene. Does this mean that I've basically ruined any chance of continuing the Ashley subplot? I wasn't really trying to pick Liara, I was saving her for my second playthrough with a female character. And I don't think I've really done anything to ruin the subplot with Ashley (The last big conversation we had, she told me about her sister beating up some dude, and made it clear that she was interested in me). I'm not really liking the fact that a clear choice between the characters was never really given. If I just straight up turn Liara down, can I continue the Ashley subplot? Someone clue me in.

Anyways, loving the game. 40 hours in. I don't have any real complaints as far as technical things....I guess I'm just so used to it. Not to mention, I beat Kotor 2 a few months ago on the 360...if you can get past that terrible port you can get past anything...:D The only bugs that are really taking away from the immersion are the texture pop-ins. It's just unfortunate when you're talking to a character and it takes 3 seconds for the complexion to pop in. Elevators are find, it's either that or they go the Oblivion route of the same handful of stupid tidbits popping up on the screen for 20 odd seconds that takes away from the immersion more then anything else.....or they use some magical form of coding (Biotics?) that some of you gaffers seem to know about where games are not bounded by technology and no loading times are needed.....

I can see why some are angry about the inventory system but I personally am such a big Kotor/Kotor 2 fan that I'm pretty adept at handling it. If you're not meticulous with every little thing like I am, you are going to run into a lot of problems. I actually enjoy customizing the characters like this though, the micromanagement just gives me the feeling of actually "moving up" in this world. For the record, I find the customization significantly easier then Kotor 1/2......in those games you have to worry about things like gloves, belts, head bands, right hand weapon, left hand weapon, etc etc etc....mass effect is pretty much just guns and armor. Tgis can definitely be fixed up quite a bit (Make it where you don't have to go to lockers, have all the information available at every screen where you mess with the stuff, etc etc etc), but I think this was more of a matter of Bioware lacking incite then them just being lazy.

My biggest disappointment is actually the sound/music. The sound is just very typical sci-fi stuff, not really hearing anything that jumps out at me and would have me to believe that I'm not hearing stuff that wasn't made in some small room by 3 or 4 guys. Musically, I dunno, I was just expecting more. Why not throw something new at us every now and again? Why not throw in some jazz for a chance? I know that sounds funny but c'mon, I don't need violins, heavy drums, and synth all the time.

Edit : LOL @ that nitpicking thing. Is the game really that hard to some? I guess I've been playing too many games, I found it quite easy to just jump into this thing.....

Zen

Banned
soco said:
ok i dunno if anyone brought this up, but i thought it was kinda cool when doing the
VI mission on the moon. after you finish, it spits out some binary numbers which if you check them on an ascii table spells out HELP.

Holy crap, doesn't taht kind of indicate that the "VI"
was actually an AI taht the Alliance was secretly experiementing/developing? I mean a VI wouldn't fear for itself, and when you probe the Alliance about the nature of the VI, they get slightly defensive about your insinuations :D

Zen said:
Holy crap, doesn't taht kind of indicate that the "VI"
was actually an AI taht the Alliance was secretly experiementing/developing? I mean a VI wouldn't fear for itself, and when you probe the Alliance about the nature of the VI, they get slightly defensive about your insinuations :D

Exactly! Or it
became self aware.

Big-E

I am really starting to get upset with the fetch side quests I can't seem to find the final light metal yet I have an overabundance of rare metals. You would think it would be the other way around.

The poll at bioware.com is pretty comforting. They ask: What have you enjoyed the most, so far, about playing Mass Effect?

It's all about the story, man!
- 52%
Real-time NPC conversations
- 25%
Exploring uncharted worlds
- 10%
The white-knuckle combat
- 6%
Its next-gen graphics
- 5%
Other
- 5%

I'm glad graphics was last on the list. Good to know not everybody is a graphics whore! I picked Exploring uncharted worlds, because that shit is just plain cool.

mandiller

segarr said:
Romance subplot help from anyone who knows about it....

So, I just stole my ship back (After Anderson BITCH SLAPPED Udina) and am headed to Ilos to stop Saren. On the way there, Liara enters the room and we have our little sex scene. Does this mean that I've basically ruined any chance of continuing the Ashley subplot? I wasn't really trying to pick Liara, I was saving her for my second playthrough with a female character. And I don't think I've really done anything to ruin the subplot with Ashley (The last big conversation we had, she told me about her sister beating up some dude, and made it clear that she was interested in me). I'm not really liking the fact that a clear choice between the characters was never really given. If I just straight up turn Liara down, can I continue the Ashley subplot? Someone clue me in.

Nope, that' it. When the character you were closer to, Liara or Ashley enters your room on the way to Ilos that's the end of the romantic plot. You're not going to get a chance to do anything else

EvaPlusMinus said:
CoD4 GOTY amirite?

Bahaha.

Probably Galaxy with CoD4 a close second.
Why laugh? CoD4 is reviewing higher than ME.
Funny thing is.. I still love ME and think its a 9+ game. Just because I'm pointing out its technical flaws doesn't make me a troll.
Nice bait though.

Finished after 20 hours and I'm kind of torn on it. On one hand it has a lot of issues and on the other it hits all the right notes despite those issues.

The inventory is the most puzzling thing. It's puzzling that Bioware created an inventory system like this and instead of being shocked at how horrible it is decided to put it in the game. I mean, what. the. fuck. As annoying as it is on it's own, the fact that they start to dump shit in your inventory when you kill something makes it seem like they're out to just piss you off. Going through the base on Luna was a nightmare as I'd have to repeatedly go cleanse my inventory of garbage upgrades that kept getting dumped on me. Oh and there's no option to just turn all the items you receive into omni-gel at once, no no, you have to do them one by one, hit X then fucking confirm each time. Thank you, Bioware, for making an already cumbersome inventory even more obnoxious.

I don't get why they simplified the combat so much. It would've been infinitely better to be able to pause and command each squad member individually; where to take cover, which enemy to fire on. Instead we get this nonsense where all you can do is tell each one to use a power on a specific enemy and give general commands as to their behavior. For me this turned the bigger firefights into clusterfucks. And why can't they use grenades? Or first aid?

And what's the point of having Paragon and Renegade meters? Is there something I'm missing here? Does anything change depending on high one or the other is? They seem to serve no purpose in the game aside from giving achievements.

TheWolf

Banned
just finished it. amazing climax. amazing game. a couple things:

1. i never got to bone Ash. i think she was pissed i let the Rahkni go, so i screwed Liara for the achievement and then reloaded and told her to screw off.
2. haha at persuading Saren that we could stop it and him just blowing his own head off. that was great.
3. i really hope the decisions you made in this game carry over. seems like it's gonna be tough.

oh, and it's weird how the early videos talked about "dark matter" and stuff cause i never saw it in the game. i thought it was a huge story point early on about how you could do powers, but it seems like they just replaced it with biotics and dropped all that stuff.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Probably Galaxy with CoD4 a close second.Why laugh? CoD4 is reviewing higher than ME.Funny thing is.. I still love ME and think its a 9+ game. Just because I'm pointing out its technical flaws doesn't make me a troll.Nice bait though.
Mass Effect is a 9+ game: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/masseffect

Plus, you can't really compare an FPS to an RPG. RPG's naturally don't score as well because they are so much harder to mark. Mass Effect has its story and presentation judged as an RPG, but has its gameplay judged as a shooter, which it shouldn't be. Doesn't really matter most publications will give this year to Galaxy or Halo 3.

Confidence Man said:
Finished after 20 hours and I'm kind of torn on it. On one hand it has a lot of issues and on the other it hits all the right notes despite those issues.

The inventory is the most puzzling thing. It's puzzling that Bioware created an inventory system like this and instead of being shocked at how horrible it is decided to put it in the game. I mean, what. the. fuck. As annoying as it is on it's own, the fact that they start to dump shit in your inventory when you kill something makes it seem like they're out to just piss you off. Going through the base on Luna was a nightmare as I'd have to repeatedly go cleanse my inventory of garbage upgrades that kept getting dumped on me. Oh and there's no option to just turn all the items you receive into omni-gel at once, no no, you have to do them one by one, hit X then fucking confirm each time. Thank you, Bioware, for making an already cumbersome inventory even more obnoxious.

I don't get why they simplified the combat so much. It would've been infinitely better to be able to pause and command each squad member individually; where to take cover, which enemy to fire on. Instead we get this nonsense where all you can do is tell each one to use a power on a specific enemy and give general commands as to their behavior. For me this turned the bigger firefights into clusterfucks. And why can't they use grenades? Or first aid?

And what's the point of having Paragon and Renegade meters? Is there something I'm missing here? Does anything change depending on high one or the other is? They seem to serve no purpose in the game aside from giving achievements.

I know it's been talked to death, but I do totally agree on the inventory system. I never remember thinking the KOTOR system was anywhere near this cumbersome.

Also, anyone have any good Mass Effect desktop wallpapers? I need to fix my laptop up for work.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Feros is f*cking awesome.

And all of my time doing 21 side-quests make me and my squad unstoppable as Level 27's - no one can touch us! :D Not to mention all of the tactics I've learned to take out the enemies like nobody's business - nothing like shoving the enemy to the back with Throw, and finishing them off with a shotgun blast before they get up... love it!

I got my Pistol Achievement so I switched over to Shotgun, and that thing is brutal - like Gears of War brutal in the way I can kill off the Geth from so far away! And I just unlocked the Carnage powerup for it - I used it on a wall as there was no one left to kill, and it looks like it'll obliterate multiple enemies quite nicely!

Skilotonn said:
Feros is f*cking awesome.

And all of my time doing 21 side-quests make me and my squad unstoppable as Level 27's - no one can touch us! :D Not to mention all of the tactics I've learned to take out the enemies like nobody's business - nothing like shoving the enemy to the back with Throw, and finishing them off with a shotgun blast before they get up... love it!

I got my Pistol Achievement so I switched over to Shotgun, and that thing is brutal - like Gears of War brutal in the way I can kill off the Geth from so far away! And I just unlocked the Carnage powerup for it - I used it on a wall as there was no one left to kill, and it looks like it'll obliterate multiple enemies quite nicely!

Do you know once you click on all the water valves how to complete that quest? I can't seem to find the person in Feros to finish it. The map shoes the exclamation point, but no one is there.

Fusebox

Banned
Skilotonn said:
nothing like shoving the enemy to the back with Throw, and finishing them off with a shotgun blast before they get up... love it!

Thats one of my fave combos. I'm also enjoying the fact my heroic Vanguard won't be touching an assault rifle, so playing through again as a renegade Soldier should be excellent.

Superblatt said:
Do you know once you click on all the water valves how to complete that quest? I can't seem to find the person in Feros to finish it. The map shoes the exclamation point, but no one is there.

Talk to the camp leader, talk to the person he tells you to about the water, talk to the leader again.

Superblatt said:

Keep playing till the end. If that person is still alive*, you can talk to her and she'll thank you.

*hint*

TheWolf

Banned
lol, my throws were killing enemies at the end. almost made it too easy, but it was so much fun.

however, did anyone else find the
Matrix storyline kind of lame?
it's so similar that i'm surprised that's the route they chose...

Fusebox said:
Thats one of my fave combos. I'm also enjoying the fact my heroic Vanguard won't be touching an assault rifle, so playing through again as a renegade Soldier should be excellent.

Talk to the camp leader, talk to the person he tells you to about the water, talk to the leader again.

ya, the camp leader doesn't have anything to say about this. am i missing something?

Meier

By the way.. I trained in First Aid, and yet I never see it with the bumper. Can anyone explain why it isnt showing up for me?

Also, I was so jazzed to start that I guess I somehow missed the part where I could pick my class.. I just assumed the biotics achievements were from my party members for awhile. :lol I assume I must just be a Soldier since I went with everything default for Shepard. I definitely will make sure to pick a class that can use biotics on the second play through.

TheWolf

Banned
Meier said:
By the way.. I trained in First Aid, and yet I never see it with the bumper. Can anyone explain why it isnt showing up for me?

it isn't really an ability, just determines how much health you regain when using a medpack.

btw, about the length: it's pretty much perfect. beat it in a little over 30 hours with the completionist achievement, and i want to play it again.

Draft

Meier said:
First Aid is not so much an ability as it is a buff that makes your med kits more effective. I think.

Meier

TheWolf said:
it isn't really an ability, just determines how much health you regain when using a medpack.

So is there any reason at all to let my NPCs train in it? Or does it work like this: Shepard has 5 FA and gets 100 health from a medkit, Garrus has 3 so he gets 80 back and Tali has 0 so she only gets 50 back?

I just beat this at 41-hours. This game has a fucking AWESOME story. Everything else is pretty rough around the edges, though.

TheWolf said:
however, did anyone else find the
Matrix storyline kind of lame?
it's so similar that i'm surprised that's the route they chose...
Other than the inclusion of sentient machines, Mass Effect's story is pretty much nothing like The Matrix.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm still on the fence on whether grab my Mass Effect LE or not - and not only because my 360 RRoD'd.

What worries me is that I didn't really get into KOTOR. To me the pace picked up too slowly. There was tons and tons to learn, with so many different menus and options that I didn't really feel like getting in control. Also, the game world seemed empty and repetitive, with big circular corridors with repeating rooms. Plus, too much dialog text to read through. So, I gave up on KOTOR after around 5 hours.

Still, Mass Effect looks appealing. I love the art style, the setting, characters and creation.

What should I do?

GenericPseudonym said:
Mass Effect is a 9+ game: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/masseffect

Plus, you can't really compare an FPS to an RPG. RPG's naturally don't score as well because they are so much harder to mark. Mass Effect has its story and presentation judged as an RPG, but has its gameplay judged as a shooter, which it shouldn't be. Doesn't really matter most publications will give this year to Galaxy or Halo 3.

Halo 3? Probably not.
And I know ME is a reviewed 9+ game. I was stating that even with its technical problems it's still a 9+ to me as well.
Evaplus was just being his usual self... apparently no one can bring up anything negative in these official threads according to him.

Just got the
the last squad member
. Can't decide who to use now!

Chittagong said:
I'm still on the fence on whether grab my Mass Effect LE or not - and not only because my 360 RRoD'd.

What worries me is that I didn't really get into KOTOR. To me the pace picked up too slowly. There was tons and tons to learn, with so many different menus and options that I didn't really feel like getting in control. Also, the game world seemed empty and repetitive, with big circular corridors with repeating rooms. Plus, too much dialog text to read through. So, I gave up on KOTOR after around 5 hours.

Still, Mass Effect looks appealing. I love the art style, the setting, characters and creation.

What should I do?

I didn't really get into KOTOR and I love this game.

Havok

Meier said:
So is there any reason at all to let my NPCs train in it? Or does it work like this: Shepard has 5 FA and gets 100 health from a medkit, Garrus has 3 so he gets 80 back and Tali has 0 so she only gets 50 back?

I think that it might allow the NPC's to heal on their own using their own medpacks, because they can also train in Medicine, which reduces the cooldown on their First Aid 'skill.' Also, they sometimes pop out their omnitool in combat and their health shoots back up again, which is a blessing.

Just a shot in the dark, though.

TheWolf said:
just finished it. amazing climax. amazing game. a couple things:

1. i never got to bone Ash. i think she was pissed i let the Rahkni go, so i screwed Liara for the achievement and then reloaded and told her to screw off.
2. haha at persuading Saren that we could stop it and him just blowing his own head off. that was great.
3. i really hope the decisions you made in this game carry over. seems like it's gonna be tough.

oh, and it's weird how the early videos talked about "dark matter" and stuff cause i never saw it in the game. i thought it was a huge story point early on about how you could do powers, but it seems like they just replaced it with biotics and dropped all that stuff.

Weird,
yoir second point never happened for me.

MMaRsu

DoctorWho said:
Weird,
yoir second point never happened for me.

you had to tell him "we" were still able to stop it all. I think you needed alot of intimidate points for it. That's the shit I got the first time and later I reloaded and watched the other ending

Just finished it tonight, so awesome. But I wanted to do some other sidequests after
Ilos
but now I'm playing on my second playthrough.

Why do some planets/system not show up till later in the game? Like the Sol system?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sol unlocks specifically for that one quest which unlocks the prestiege skill... and that's based on finishing one of the story missions.

Draft

Havok said:
I think that it might allow the NPC's to heal on their own using their own medpacks, because they can also train in Medicine, which reduces the cooldown on their First Aid 'skill.' Also, they sometimes pop out their omnitool in combat and their health shoots back up again, which is a blessing.

Just a shot in the dark, though.
I believe that the highest FA skill in the party determines how much is healed. So while your character may have no FA skill, if Liara is in the party and has it maxed, when your character uses the med pack, it heals the most possible.

MMaRsu

firehawk12 said:
Sol unlocks specifically for that one quest which unlocks the prestiege skill... and that's based on finishing one of the story missions.

Ahh okay..well then I'll just have to keep playing through the story again. But I'm just gonna skip all the talk bullshit. How many sidemissions are there?

Top Bottom