• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Finished the game last night. One of the few games where I started a new game immediately after completing it. Gonna replay and try to get my character to 60 (he's 42) and get a few of the achievements I missed.

I didn't encounter any real bugs and the loading times are pretty typical. The only thing that irked me was the way you can't move around when you're in an elevator. And there are a ton of elevators.

Xater said:
That's really her? Then no. I didn't see her name in the credits. There were some people who were face scanned. May just be a coincidence.

I thought it was a composite until the comparison was brought to my atention.

Just beat the game. Awesome.
Started a new one already. This time as an Adept. Didn't notice any of the bugs others were talking about in my last game....sorry.

My main issue right now though is my Adept has a really long neck. I'd like to go back and fix this but I'd have to go through the intro again. Sigh. Gonna try out some other classes then maybe go back to a finished character to run through the harder difficulties.

I didn't get any of the majority completion achievements, and I thought I did a ton of quests. Ah well this will be fun.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hunter D said:
I put in 35 hours on my first play through and only ran into 2 bugs. The first bug I encountered, and it only happen once, was the chatwheel getting stuck during a battle and the more frequent bug where you get stuck when running up hill-like terrain (which can be fixed by running in the opposite direction.

The inventory is ass, but I think its a result of bioware trying to simplify it.

Pretty much, I had no idea where the gas grenades were on Feros.

Fina1e said:
As I'm playing the game for the third time, all I can still think of is..

Fucking.

Elevators.

Again.
Dude it's either that or a static loading screen. You guys act like this elevators thing is a dumb glitch but it's really a fantastic way of loading but keeping you inside the world at all times.

Big-E

The Lamonster said:
Dude it's either that or a static loading screen. You guys act like this elevators thing is a dumb glitch but it's really a fantastic way of loading but keeping you inside the world at all times.

I am sorry but it really is not. With the elevator on the Normandy I would rather be staring at a blank screen if it would make it load faster than looking at the elevator moving an inch every second. On the citadel I deliberately take the rapid transit to avoid the elevators.

Big-E said:
I am sorry but it really is not. With the elevator on the Normandy I would rather be staring at a blank screen if it would make it load faster than looking at the elevator moving an inch every second. On the citadel I deliberately take the rapid transit to avoid the elevators.
Rapid transit is like 3 seconds shorter than elevators. Don't you enjoy rotating around Shepard? At least in my case I don't mind because she is incredibly hot and I like to bask in my own creation of beauty.

This elevator shit is like the most ridiculous thing to argue about.

One of the few(actually more like one of the one) benefits of taking the elevator is sometimes quests will pop up.

If I could at least run around while in the elevator it'd be a thousand times better. =/

GuessWho

The game is really really good and highly addictive. The only holding it back for me is the constant streaming. I've had it lock up (as in "dirty disc error") 3 times in a row, and it was during a boss fight. Incredibly annoying. Seriously Bioware just gimme longer loading times and bedone with all this constant streaming. It kills the hardware and the disc. I have to keep on saving for fear or DDE's. Besides that it's goty for me, well tied with cod4.

The Lamonster said:
Rapid transit is like 3 seconds shorter than elevators. Don't you enjoy rotating around Shepard? At least in my case I don't mind because she is incredibly hot and I like to bask in my own creation of beauty.

This elevator shit is like the most ridiculous thing to argue about.

Um, NO. Rapid Transit is way faster than the elevators. I can use rapid transit to get to the Citadel Tower in 5 seconds. If I take the elevator my crew can have a full conversation and still stand awkwardly for another 6-7 seconds. I don't understand why anybody would use the elevators except where you have no choice. I understand why they did the elevators but rapid transit is so much faster.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DevelopmentArrested said:
10 hours in and completely agree with ElyrionX's points.
The game is great but definetely not GOTY material.
Too many flaws holding it back most including the atrocious frame-rate and long loading times.
The dialogue and character development is fantastic however.

CoD4 GOTY amirite?

Bahaha.

Xater

Digital Limit said:
Still haven't seen an answer for this.

I don't think so. I think your aming doesn't matter AT ALL. You only have to aim at something the rest is dice rolling in the background.

besada

Banned
None of the elevators, or screen tearing, or texture pop, or framerate bother me for more than a second. I got my blood red heavy armor, and dual slots of +120 shields, and now I'm just stomping anything that moves a new asshole. And the story is great. I don't see how another game tops this one for me this year.

Mr Jared

I've been playing for a few hours and while I'm in love, I still have some stupid questions.

- How do you rack up money?
- How the heck do I get medi-gels? I seem to stumble upon them and haven't found out how to buy them.

I restarted to be a soldier after I realized I liked shooting things a lot more than I liked trying to kill people with techs.. so I'll do that a second time around.

alkaline black said:
I've been playing for a few hours and while I'm in love, I still have some stupid questions.

- How the heck do I get medi-gels? I seem to stumble upon them and haven't found out how to buy them.

I restarted to be a soldier after I realized I liked shooting things a lot more than I liked trying to kill people with techs.. so I'll do that a second time around.

So far I've found Medi-gel in the Medical Bay of the Normandy or the Med Clinic in The Citadel.

They're free.

subrock

i think I have come to the conclusion that this is one of those games where the sequel will be the showpiece, this one just kind of laid the groundwork. its good but not quite polished enough. I will be happy to see all the kinks worked out in the sequel. ie. gears of war, motorstorm...

Big-E

alkaline black said:

Money will get easier to get as you go along. I was worried about this too. I had amassed well over a million gold before I even reached the third story planet so don't worry about that. Medi gels can be found in almost any dungeon as well as on your own ship. Just go down to see the doctor and there is a med station which will replenish you. Lots of areas in the game have these as well as the infirmary on the Citadel.

Dartastic

While I'm enjoying the game immensely, the things I'm having the most difficulty adjusting to aren't things that are hard to fix, such as framerate, etc. I'm getting irritated at the stuff that a good QA team should find and report to the developers. Things such as the lack of convienient save points, crazy difficulty spikes, weird graphical glitches, and an absolutely shit inventory system are just some of the problems that should have been taken care of by a good testing team. Who knows, maybe the testers did report these issues and the devs didn't have time to fix them, but this game has many issues that I assume would be quick, easy fixes, but they weren't taken care of.

Cedeo

Arghhh!!

Just played an hour without saving then I got stuck running up stairs so I couldn't move, as there is no jump, there was no way to escape and therefore reloading was the only answer and then to start all over again!

:(

Perhaps a dubious ploy to extend playtime?

Big-E

Dartastic said:
I'm getting irritated at the stuff that a good QA team should find and report to the developers.

Why would it be QA's job to fix this stuff? This was obviously something that development was comfortable with.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So this game...

Fucking awesome.

Too bad the framerate is complete shit. And the game is freezing a lot.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
alkaline black said:

I asked the same thing about money in the beginning too, but now that I'm a third of the way storyline-wise, it's it is really racking up big time now - like 3000 credits per kill - and I've been told that it keeps increasing per kill big time!

And about the medi-gels, they are free at any medical station, including in the Normandy where Dr. Chakwas is at, the Medical Ward of the Citadel, etc. - you get them from a little recharge station in the room... and as you've notice, they are random drops in the game as well...

Zzoram

Cedeo said:
Arghhh!!

Just played an hour without saving then I got stuck running up stairs so I couldn't move, as there is no jump, there was no way to escape and therefore reloading was the only answer and then to start all over again!

:(

Perhaps a dubious ploy to extend playtime?

Actually, when you get stuck like that, crouch/spin/freak out, then make a new save. After that, try freaking out again and you'll get unstuck. It's weird, I know :lol

Darkman M

Zzoram said:
Actually, when you get stuck like that, crouch/spin/freak out, then make a new save. After that, try freaking out again and you'll get unstuck. It's weird, I know :lol

Yep that worked for me once:lol

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah if I get stuck I usually whip my weapon out and try running and crouching and all spazzy stuff, I always get unstuck eventually.

PG2G

I hope the Bioware purchase doesn't prevent us from getting sequels. This game is incredible :p

You guys really do need to start saving more often though. I know i got killed a couple times and lost only 15 or so minutes. That alone was enough for me to learn to save at every opportunity.

Oddly enough, I only got stuck once in the game and that was on the Normandy, and I think I just crouched to get out of it.

chespace said:
Yes,
don't kill him.

I don't,
Ashley does

What I really enjoyed about this game besides the fantastic story is that you can let the game be essentially as long as you want. If you want 35 hours, there is enough content in there for that. If you want 10-15 hours so that you can fit it into a busy schedule, you can do that too.

For me, the sweet spot was 18hrs and I feel I got what I paid for.

Zzoram

PG2G said:
I hope the Bioware purchase doesn't prevent us from getting sequels. This game is incredible :p

You guys really do need to start saving more often though. I know i got killed a couple times and lost only 15 or so minutes. That alone was enough for me to learn to save at every opportunity.

Oddly enough, I only got stuck once in the game and that was on the Normandy, and I think I just crouched to get out of it.

Actually, when a developer is purchased by EA, you hope that they don't make too many sequels :lol

I'd rather Mass Effect 2 and 3 each two years apart (using same engine, hopefully some performance improvement and improved Inventory management), than a rush job annual release.

yukoner

Big-E said:

Damn you people bitch about stupid shit.

A 10 second elevator ride is really such a big deal?? Other games have 30+ second load times...

After hearing all the complaints about the Normandy elevator, I expected it to be ridiculously long. When it ended after about 8 seconds I was like what a bunch of melo-dramatic crysacks! Talk about exagerating...

Anyways, finished it yesterday. GOTY by a country fuckin mile.

PG2G said:
I dunno, I could totally see Obsidian taking over the franchise. I'm under the assumption ME is a microsoft property and not a Bioware/EA one. Is this true?

Zzoram

_dementia said:
I dunno, I could totally see Obsidian taking over the franchise. I'm under the assumption ME is a microsoft property and not a Bioware/EA one. Is this true?

Wrong. Mass Effect is owned by Bioware, Microsoft is only publishing.

Big-E

yukoner said:
Damn you people bitch about stupid shit.

A 10 second elevator ride is really such a big deal?? Other games have 30+ second load times...

After hearing all the complaints about the Normandy elevator, I expected it to be ridiculously long. When it ended after about 8 seconds I was like what a bunch of melo-dramatic crysacks! Talk about exagerating...

Anyways, finished it yesterday. GOTY by a country fuckin mile.

I wasn't necessarily bitching about it. The guy I responded to said the elevators were great which I find really difficult to take in. It really is annoying when you are constantly going to your requisition officer to sell shit because of the retarded inventory system. I like this game a lot too and have placed over 25 hours into it with only doing 3 story planet. Just because I like it doesn't mean I have to take every design decision as gospel.

Zzoram

Mass Effect has to at least win RPG of the year. I mean, it barely has competition, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, Super Paper Mario and Pokemon are not better games.

BeeDog

Zzoram said:
Mass Effect has to at least win RPG of the year. I mean, it barely has competition, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms, Super Paper Mario and Pokemon are not better games.

What about the NWN2 expansion pack and The Witcher? Both are fucking awesome too.

Big-E said:
I wasn't necessarily bitching about it. The guy I responded to said the elevators were great which I find really difficult to take in. It really is annoying when you are constantly going to your requisition officer to sell shit because of the retarded inventory system. I like this game a lot too and have placed over 25 hours into it with only doing 3 story planet. Just because I like it doesn't mean I have to take every design decision as gospel.

Agreed, this is a great game but these issues are glaring problems and shouldn't be easily dismissed. Especially when deciding a GOTY candidate. This game is definitely in consideration, no doubt, but the inventory system and many of the gameplay glitches that people have encountered shouldn't be dismissed.

GOTY? I don't know yet. The game certainly has one of the best stories and the best presentation I've seen in a while.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'll actually say the elevators don't bug me at all. When I play games I'm usually on GAF. So I'll just post or something.

Sallokin

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Noticed that there's a Mass Effect soundtrack available.
Does anyone know if it has the Character creation music on it?

Not the exact music per se, but it does have a track called "Breeding Ground" that is a more brassy less electronic version of that music.

The problem with the soundtrack is that the majority of the songs are just way too short.

Top Bottom