• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

squicken

Draft said:
I believe that the highest FA skill in the party determines how much is healed. So while your character may have no FA skill, if Liara is in the party and has it maxed, when your character uses the med pack, it heals the most possible.

I think the FA skill stacks, so that the skill level of all party members is added together. It's the only skill that does that in the game I believe. At least according to the Gamespot guide.

Havok

MMaRsu said:
Ahh okay..well then I'll just have to keep playing through the story again. But I'm just gonna skip all the talk bullshit. How many sidemissions are there?

A lot. 3rd playthrough, just exited Feros (went there before the other two), 44 sidequests completed (fairly sure that's all that's possible before that point), and I know of at least 10 more that pop up after the other story planets are done with.

I just finished it and it was a pretty great game, I might give it another go in the future sometime. The story and ending was quite good, when I first started the game I was wondering of Bioware could set up a universe all within in this game (with KOTOR they already had established species and worlds), and by the end I wish there was more to do in the universe. If there is a Mass Effect 2, I hope they go in and fix a lot of aspects of the game, and there is a lot to fix and generally improve on.

I also think they really need to get rid of choosing your class at the start of the game, I chose the mix between soldier and biotic (vanguard, I think) and didnt know I would be restricted to a shotgun and pistol the entire game (althought I was able to tear through any enemy with them). I think they should let you build as you go on through the game or do side quests and such.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MMaRsu said:
Ahh okay..well then I'll just have to keep playing through the story again. But I'm just gonna skip all the talk bullshit. How many sidemissions are there?

The GameSpot guide is fairly comprehensive:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6183235/p-27.html

However, I notice that there is a background specific side quest. I played a Colonist the first time and I had a different side mission from the one they listed there (involving the character who knows your mother).

TheWolf

Banned
U K Narayan said:
I just beat this at 41-hours. This game has a fucking AWESOME story. Everything else is pretty rough around the edges, though.

Other than the inclusion of sentient machines, Mass Effect's story is pretty much nothing like The Matrix.

well the whole
this cycle has repeated itself for millions of years and we wait for you to get to your peak and then destroy you and then do it all over again stuff was way too familiar...

MMaRsu said:
you had to tell him "we" were still able to stop it all. I think you needed alot of intimidate points for it. That's the shit I got the first time and later I reloaded and watched the other ending

Just finished it tonight, so awesome. But I wanted to do some other sidequests after
Ilos
but now I'm playing on my second playthrough.

Why do some planets/system not show up till later in the game? Like the Sol system?

yeah, i did it with charm though, instead of intimidate.

MMaRsu

I hate it that I can't change my appearance or class when I'm going on my second playthrough with my first character. I want to do another playthrough with a female vanguard or even biotic but I can't because I don't want to lose all the weapons and armor and lvl that I have.

Sucks alot

Fusebox

Banned
MMaRsu said:
I hate it that I can't change my appearance or class when I'm going on my second playthrough with my first character. I want to do another playthrough with a female vanguard or even biotic but I can't because I don't want to lose all the weapons and armor and lvl that I have.

Sucks alot

Starting from the start with all the uber-gear would also suck, the fun out of the game that is?

MMaRsu

Fusebox said:
Starting from the start with all the uber-gear would also suck, the fun out of the game that is?

Well I'm playing like that right now..dunno I kinda like it. I don't want to miss my armor :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Superblatt said:
Do you know once you click on all the water valves how to complete that quest? I can't seem to find the person in Feros to finish it. The map shoes the exclamation point, but no one is there.

Sorry for the late response as I just finished Feros (awesome from beginning to end by the way!) and only now saw your question...

I completed that quest as soon as she asked me to help - how far are you into Feros? Because from the looks of things, I think you have to finish it early before things start to go down... are you in the beginning still?

EDIT: Nevermind - I found her, in the same place she was all the time - I think I know what you did - make sure that you
save all of the people, as she is one of them I'm sure

MMaRsu

darkressurection said:
So if I wanted to restart the game with my same character would I hit resume on the Main Menu or Start New Career?

Start new career and then use existing profile.

TheWolf said:
well the whole
this cycle has repeated itself for millions of years and we wait for you to get to your peak and then destroy you and then do it all over again stuff was way too familiar...
That aspect is still very dissimilar to
The Matrix

Here is my opinion of this game's qualities in ranked format (#1 being the highest in quality, #8 being the lowest.):

1.) Story
2.) Character Interaction
3.) Sound
5.) Graphics (Looks great for the most part. Some parts look like they were slapped together quickly.)
4.) Galaxy Map (It's awesome, but I personally thought that the previous design and effects of the early map were better.)
6.) Gameplay
7.) AI
8.) Uncharted Planet Variation (Terrain qualities of each uncharted planet are static.)

Also, I disliked driving the Mako. It does not handle well, in my opinion.

Regardless of my nitpicks, I still found the game very interesting and entertaining.

Fusebox

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Also, I disliked driving the Mako. It does not handle well, in my opinion.

Understatement of the year. When I found myself wishing it handled more like the Warthog from Halo I knew it was one broken driving engine.

Zzoram

I'm in the Hercules system

I found some Prothean ruin that has a glowing silver sphere, what do I do with that?

segarr

mandiller said:
Nope, that' it. When the character you were closer to, Liara or Ashley enters your room on the way to Ilos that's the end of the romantic plot. You're not going to get a chance to do anything else

Jeez...where did I mess it up at? I really wanted to learn more of Ashley's character. Next play through may have to be with another male, and I'm not even going to accept Liara in the party if I can help it.

Does this subplot affect anything else in the game?

The Mako has a retarded steering system, forward is wherever the turret is pointing. In the heat of the moment I always eff up the controls.

Synless

Fusebox said:
Understatement of the year. When I found myself wishing it handled more like the Warthog from Halo I knew it was one broken driving engine.
I about threw my controller at the tv trying to get that piece of shit to drive correctly I hate it.

TheWolf said:
well the whole

yeah, i did it with charm though, instead of intimidate.

Mass Effect pulls from several sci-fi mythologies.

Babylon 5
The Matrix
Star Trek
Battlestar Galactica

It's definitely a mix of all of those but still manages to feel really familiar. Hell, it even pulls from Contact. The Mass Relays are essentially the same device on a smaller scale.

Those complaining about the uncharted planets and their lack of variation should look at the heavenly bodies in this solar system. Some look vastly different while many are essentially big hunks of rock with different atmospheres.

Illuminati said:
The Mako has a retarded steering system, forward is wherever the turret is pointing. In the heat of the moment I always eff up the controls.
Not to mention, it's very easy to get it stuck in the most fucked up places. I actually had to restart a couple times in a game, because the thing glitched the fuck out with the environment and got stuck.

On the topic of Unreal Engine 3: Does anyone know why it has that 'pop-in' issue? I thought that was very annoying.

segarr

Confidence Man said:
And what's the point of having Paragon and Renegade meters? Is there something I'm missing here? Does anything change depending on high one or the other is? They seem to serve no purpose in the game aside from giving achievements.

I agree with this.....

I wish they would drop this aspect of the game. Honestly, I feel that they created this thing for the Kotor gamesv (Light side/dark side) and it had an obvious purpose in that universe, but for Mass Effect, it doesn't really mean much of anything. I think they just need to get out of the whole "evil versus good" thing...why aren't there more neutral choices? I just want choices and outcomes, let ME decide for myself whats "renegade" and "paragon".....

Darkman M said:
Mako beats the hell outta driving the warthog in halo imo :lol

WAT?
:lol :lol :lol

segarr said:
I agree with this.....

I wish they would drop this aspect of the game. Honestly, I feel that they created this thing for the Kotor gamesv (Light side/dark side) and it had an obvious purpose in that universe, but for Mass Effect, it doesn't really mean much of anything. I think they just need to get out of the whole "evil versus good" thing...why aren't there more neutral choices? I just want choices and outcomes, let ME decide for myself whats "renegade" and "paragon".....

It made a pretty big difference in the ending of my game according to some of the differences that people experienced on the previous page.

Darkman M

DoctorWho said:
WAT?

I dunno i have an easier time with driving it, the shooting in it is where it gets retarded but handling it is easy to me plus i can climb over almost all terrain in it.

Zzoram said:
I'm in the Hercules system

I found some Prothean ruin that has a glowing silver sphere, what do I do with that?

In the Citidel go to the harem chick and do her quest. She will give you a trinket that isn't a normal trinket...

Darkman M

Fusebox said:
Wow. I mean sure, maybe if you approach each mako shoot-out like some kind of mini-puzzle game but otherwise, wow.

You missed my second post? I said the handling the shooting is retarded on the mako.

segarr

DoctorWho said:
WAT?

I can see what they were trying to do with the Mako....there is some benefit to basing the steering on a pure "go where you point" way, the problems mainly occur because of two things : 1) The vehicle is significantly slower and less powerful in reverse. If they simply made it to where you didn't really need all that momentum to travel backwards, this could be a decent driving scheme. 2) Shooting and driving it in this was simply do not work.

sp0rsk said:
Does anyone want to change the thread title?
Offical Mass Effect Thread: Worst Vehicle Transportation In A Game EVAR, I Rather Explore Planets With The Magic Schoolbus

6k5xztg.gif

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Synless said:
I about threw my controller at the tv trying to get that piece of shit to drive correctly I hate it.

Same here. On feros, on my way back to the colony, I just drove past the geth, I didn't want to try and manage with the controls trying to destroy them.

Dartastic

Hunter D said:
Save Points? You save where ever you want. I really don't know what crazy difficulty spikes you guys are talking about. The only parts that were difficult are the boss battles, which are supposed to be tough. The inventory system is crap. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees it is. Still, this is the best game I have played this gen. The writing and acting in this game is Hollywood level.

Saving wherever you want isn't the problem. The problem is an autosave system that penalizes you for forgetting to save yourself. It's a bad design choice, and ends up frustrating the player. This is something they probably could have easily fixed, and it's feedback that should have been given by the QA team. Whether Bioware uses that feedback is up to them, but with something this annoying it should have been taken care of. There's nothing more frustrating than not saving before a big boss battle, only to be taken out in ONE HIT and lose 30 minutes of playtime.

Big-E said:
Why would it be QA's job to fix this stuff? This was obviously something that development was comfortable with.

It's not their job to fix it. It is their job to provide feedback to the development team, and I really have a hard time believing that these problems were "design" choices, and not something that they just screwed up.

Subarushian said:
The Official Mass Effect Thread: Where we whine about elevators in between sucking on our thumbs
Personally, I did not find many problems with the elevators. They're an interesting mask for loading times. There were a great deal of them, though.

Oh, and, the credits song (M4 Part 2) is pretty awesome, if you ask me. It fits the atmosphere of Mass Effect perfectly.

Quagm1r3

I'm playing through again as an adept on veteran. Wish me luck...

I'm going to use tali and ash as my squadmates through the entire game. Not only is it tactically sound, but I feel like such a pimp with them following me around :D

segarr

pilonv1 said:
I am epic fail.

Looks like second play through for me then. Sniper rifles suck a giant wang too.

I wasn't too pleased with the snipers at first either (So used to Halo type of sniping which I always found faaaar too easy) but they really grew on me. get some upgrades that steady the aim a bit (I forget what it's called, it's different then accuracy though) and maybe some heat reduction to go with it and see how that works. Most of the fights seem to take place in corridors too small to really utilize a snipe, but in the long range encounters, nothing is sweeter then putting together a run of three or four kills in a row.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
pilonv1 said:
I am epic fail.

Looks like second play through for me then. Sniper rifles suck a giant wang too.

yeah they do...whats with the insane sniper sway? It's like they made the sniper rifle on the first day without considering the content they were eventually going to make.

DoctorWho said:
Those complaining about the uncharted planets and their lack of variation should look at the heavenly bodies in this solar system. Some look vastly different while many are essentially big hunks of rock with different atmospheres.
You make a very good point. I guess, my main complaint would be how things are set up on the planets. Everything you encounter pretty much looks the same. It would be nice to see some variation in the building designs and such.

Another thing: The caves, mines, and cargo frigates are pretty much identical in interior design as well. It would have been nice to see some actual difference, as opposed to different placements of crates and terminals.

I really dislike it when developers just slap things together and hope for the best.

Top Bottom