• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

elithrar

First play-through was as a Female Vanguard, Zooey Shepard. Definitely died a few more times than I liked early on, but once you get to grips with combat and gear up you can really string together some encounters. I'm not sure why so many people struggled on the Benezia fight though - first try I ran in gung-ho and died - but on the second try I pretty much cleaned her up without anyone dying.

Completed it in just under 30 hours, and focused heavily on side-quests for the first 16 hours.
Virmire, for me, was when the game 'really' begun - the way everything panned out there and the decisions you had to make truly reinforced the role your character was playing and made it feel epic, as opposed to cheesy.

Musical score is utter brilliance - the '80's synth throughout works wonders for the atmosphere. I ordered the OST, as well as the LE - though I bought a standard edition on release day so I could play it ASAP.

elithrar

U K Narayan said:
Another thing: The caves, mines, and cargo frigates are pretty much identical in interior design as well. It would have been nice to see some actual difference, as opposed to different placements of crates and terminals.

Agreed. Was very KotoR-esque when it came to that - another 3-4 building/outpost interiors wouldn't have hurt, and at the very least some different colored rock/crate textures for the underground bunkers would've gone a long way towards making the exploration a little more 'varied' and lively.

Sol.. said:
yeah they do...whats with the insane sniper sway? It's like they made the sniper rifle on the first day without considering the content they were eventually going to make.

You can combat this with +weapon stability enhancements, and eventually getting better rifles with a higher stability rating. The sway almost disappears completely at that point.

Second playthrough for me is going to be as a Male Infiltrator - the sad thing is that it's going to take me a while to figure out a decent name to use! I need to go over to a friends' house to see how his Adept is panning out though - I know I really enjoyed my Vanguard and I think that a Soldier would've been too vanilla in combat for me.

pilonv1

forgeforsaken said:
Don't worry though, pistols are awesome in this game.

I know I've maxed out pistols and got the achievement but I want to try shotguns + rifles.

The problem with them is that there's no reason to use them since the majority of fights are in close quarters. I've only encountered one use of snipers so far and it was on an uncharted planet. I like Inquisitor as a class but I would love to have a better weapon option.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
U K Narayan said:
You make a very good point. I guess, my main complaint would be how things are set up on the planets. Everything you encounter pretty much looks the same. It would be nice to see some variation in the building designs and such.

Another thing: The caves, mines, and cargo frigates are pretty much identical in interior design as well. It would have been nice to see some actual difference, as opposed to different placements of crates and terminals.

I really dislike it when developers just slap things together and hope for the best.

To add to that I hate the build of the planets. It's just jagged edges as if somebody was in maya pulling random verticies up then calling it the day. It's kinda ugly and it's a whole lotta annoying (mostly due to vehicle controls though). I think they would have gotten alot more out of these segments with rolling hills rather than jagged mountains. Or at least some sort of mix.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I had no problems with the Mako - in fact I found it fun to drive...

My only problems were reversing - of course it doesn't handle as perfectly as the Warthog, but it just takes getting used to really...

Things are heating up right now between the two ladies on the ship - heh heh...

Darkman M

pilonv1 said:
I know I've maxed out pistols and got the achievement but I want to try shotguns + rifles.

The problem with them is that there's no reason to use them since the majority of fights are in close quarters. I've only encountered one use of snipers so far and it was on an uncharted planet. I like Inquisitor as a class but I would love to have a better weapon option.

Commando class upgrades all weapons stat. You can unlock that by doing a certain quest.

Also, what's up with the Inventory system? It's pretty impractical. In other words, it completely sucks ass!

Okay, I'm done. The game is still pretty good, though. >:p

jet1911

I have no problem with the inventory. It's not awesome but I find it easy to understand. Just landed on
Ilos
. This planet looks awesome.

Quagm1r3

Anyone else find this annoying?

Throughout the entire game it seems that the best armor was always scorpion armor. And while it doesn't look half bad, wearing variations of armor that doesn't change in appearance is something I found dull. On top of it, I'm playing through this a second time and I don't expect anything to surpass scorpion armor.

Am I missing something here or is this really the best armor throughout the entire game?

Fusebox

Banned
I might dodge Commando class on this play-through, I was looking forward to trying assault rifles for the first time when I restart. Hmm...

There are plenty of issues with the game, but the Mako driving hasn't bothered me in the slightest. The only complaint I have with it is that those segments are really easy. They're fun initially, but then they get a bit repetitive. Oh well. Time to play more!!! :D

jet1911 said:
I have no problem with the inventory. It's not awesome but I find it easy to understand. Just landed on
Ilos
. This planet looks awesome.
That one, and
Feros
are my favorites.

Noveria
is just garbage, though. At least, it looks like garbage. The fight with
Matriarch Benezia
was cake.

yoopoo

Banned
Its the first rpg I've ever palyed....loving it. No more rpgs for me anymore though, I'm gonna quit on the high note.

Whats the best planet to visit for a sidequest?

TheWolf

Banned
i never even saw the item limit screen until my Save+ game. it seems the game duplicates every item/upgrade you have your members equipped with, and gives them all to you at the start.

kind of dumb, but at the same time it's kind of nice starting off with two Colossus sets of armor. :D

yoopoo said:
Its the first rpg I've ever palyed....loving it. No more rpgs for me anymore though, I'm gonna quit on the high note.

Sailor_Moon.gif

Proelite

yoopoo said:

Lol? Almost the same story here, but I will definitely try out other rpgs if they are as noob friendly as mass effect.

bigswords

pilonv1 said:
I am epic fail.

Looks like second play through for me then. Sniper rifles suck a giant wang too.

Actually I won most all the hard battles and boss battles with a sniper rifle, they really rock (using a soldier).

Darkman M

bigswords said:
Actually I won most all the hard battles and boss battles with a sniper rifle, they really rock (using a soldier).

Sniper rifle owns every weapon imo and i haven't even upgraded it much at all. I just send out my other 2 party members and sit back and snip anytime an enemy isn't within a certain range, other then that i use assault rifle.

Quagm1r3 said:
Anyone else find this annoying?

Throughout the entire game it seems that the best armor was always scorpion armor. And while it doesn't look half bad, wearing variations of armor that doesn't change in appearance is something I found dull. On top of it, I'm playing through this a second time and I don't expect anything to surpass scorpion armor.

Am I missing something here or is this really the best armor throughout the entire game?

The best armors are the Predator 'x' armors ('x' being either L, M or H) and the Colossus armors, the latter of which have black and red color combos. You start seeing these at level 40+.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
yoopoo said:

Brilliant.

Quagm1r3

Bauer Action Hour said:
The best armors are the Predator 'x' armors ('x' being either L, M or H) and the Colossus armors, the latter of which have black and red color combos. You start seeing these at level 40+.

No wonder. I beat the game around level 38ish. That explains why I never saw them.

More a reason to play through again I guess.

milkham

I just finished the dialogue sequence with Ashley where she says she's a hellcat (or something) off the battlefield too and when she ended the conversation with "sleep tight shepherd" and it came back to the regular walking screen there was some kind of glitch in the targeting and even though I was looking at her the screen said press A to equip Ashley, i got a chuckle imagining Shepherd putting her on.

Mark D

milkham said:
I just finished the dialogue sequence with Ashley where she says she's a hellcat (or something) off the battlefield too and when she ended the conversation with "sleep tight shepherd" and it came back to the regular walking screen there was some kind of glitch in the targeting and even though I was looking at her the screen said press A to equip Ashley, i got a chuckle imagining Shepherd putting her on.

There's a locker right beside her that you can use to equip Ashley with. Not a glitch.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I combined Subarushian and Modus's suggestions to make a new, less confusing and hopefully less irritating title.

widgetraf

For the sequel..

How the hell are you supposed to stop a whole Reaper fleet? Sovereign was hard enough!

And I'm pretty sure there are some Prothean survivors.

I was just watching some of the old videos of the game from events like X06 and stuff like that, this game changed so much in a year.

I cant believe the old combat system auto locked onto everything infront of you.

Eric WK

widgetraf said:
For the sequel..

How the hell are you supposed to stop a whole Reaper fleet? Sovereign was hard enough!

And I'm pretty sure there are some Prothean survivors.

By using the combined might of the galaxy. Shepard was the only one who knew Sovereign was coming and it caught the Citadel by surprise. That won't be the case in the future.

And I agree/hope that there are Prothean survivors.

Hunter D said:
Snipers are deadly in this game. Once you level it the sniper is a one shot kill from any distance.
Indeed. You also have to love how they sound. They sound so damned incredible. :D

Linkzg said:
I was just watching some of the old videos of the game from events like X06 and stuff like that, this game changed so much in a year.

I cant believe the old combat system auto locked onto everything infront of you.
I know, right? That looked so lame. You have to admit the Galaxy Map in the earlier demonstrations looked far better than the one we have now, though.

U K Narayan said:
I know, right? That looked so lame. You have to admit the Galaxy Map in the earlier demonstrations looked far better than the one we have now, though.

The only problem with the galaxy map is that is so predictable now. They really need to add some more variety the next time around.

Mrbob

Just got finished with Noveria. This game is so awesome when it isn't a glitchy mess. I will play through to the end despite its problems.

Feels like I'm playing a throwback old school PC game in many ways. Tons of quality, yet no Q and A involved so I have to be super careful not to mess anything up. Save early and save often!

Big-E

Damn just got my first freeze while I was trying to save some
marines against a colony of racni
. On a side note is
Ilos
the last world?

I am stuck on Novaria and need some help
I just got to peak 15 and I need to turn on the power manually. I don’t have enough gel to auto turn it on. I can’t seem to figure it out. Does anyone have the sequence?

segarr

_dementia said:
6uq6bkz.jpg

GAF, is this true?

They do look similar.

Honestly, I don't really think either are appealing. Drew Barrymore is one of the ugliest "big stars" I've ever seen in Hollywood. Never understood the hype surrounding her.

Liara is so much less appealing then Williams, and most of the Asari look a lot better then her. They should have just used the consorts model for her instead.

watership

Sol.. said:
To add to that I hate the build of the planets. It's just jagged edges as if somebody was in maya pulling random verticies up then calling it the day. It's kinda ugly and it's a whole lotta annoying (mostly due to vehicle controls though). I think they would have gotten alot more out of these segments with rolling hills rather than jagged mountains. Or at least some sort of mix.

I dislike the jaggy mountains too.. however there are a number of low rolling hill side mission planets.

elithrar

Big-E said:
Damn just got my first freeze while I was trying to save some
marines against a colony of racni
. On a side note is
Ilos
the last world?

Ilos is the last planet you'll visit - once you're there the story takes over and you can't visit any other planets.

Eric WK said:
By using the combined might of the galaxy. Shepard was the only one who knew Sovereign was coming and it caught the Citadel by surprise. That won't be the case in the future.

And I agree/hope that there are Prothean survivors.

I definitely hope there's some Prothean survivors. I think the whole 'cycle' part of the story reminds me of Battlestar Galactica the most 'it has happened before and it will happen again' - which isn't a bad thing, because it was fleshed out and executed superbly.

And I'm pretty sure the Citadel scene had me biting my nails.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Skilotonn said:
I had no problems with the Mako - in fact I found it fun to drive...

My only problems were reversing - of course it doesn't handle as perfectly as the Warthog, but it just takes getting used to really...

lol on a content scale I can see how would find it fun. However the vehicle itself is just a damn pain. It's that free look camera (thats what they call camera context controls right?). Just a bad decision. Well....probably not bad, but something they felt was right for their setting. They must have wanted you to look around and explore rather than drive from point A to point B. However, the cost was just too great to me. Mostly because I can't really see why anybody would consider free look for vehicles with what has been done right out there.

but then again every game lately has been doing crazy stuff with vehicle controls and i can't figure out why. Oh do I miss the days of left, right, A [or X on the PS2/3], and O.

jvalioli

Toonami 99 said:
I am stuck on Novaria and need some help
I just got to peak 15 and I need to turn on the power manually. I don’t have enough gel to auto turn it on. I can’t seem to figure it out. Does anyone have the sequence?
Hopefull this is right: Basically, you can only move a block to another space, if it is moving on top of a bigger block. So, you cant move block 1 from X to block 1 of Y, and then move block 2 of X to block 2 of Y. Block 2 is bigger than Block 1, and the unwritten rules won't allow you to put them down in that order. But if you move Block 1 to B and then Block 2 to Y, it works. Then you can move Block 1 to Y from B, and you will have Block 1 and 2 at Y. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom