• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

LukeSmith

Dante said:
Started last night, Story is awesome so far, I really early about an hour in. Was dissapointed with the character editor as I just could not get it to look like me, I think it was mostly the limited hair options. None of the graphical hiccups really bother me except for the sparadic pausing, not from saving, but I get these odd little pauses in the game. Music is pretty badass also. Did they mention is they are gonna put this up on iTunes?

I wish there were more beard options :(

LukeSmith said:
I wish there were more beard options :(
Trying to make yourself?

I wish there were more skin and hair color options. I liked in Oblivion how you could make a totally pale white weirdo with neon green hair.

Kudos on the black lipstick, though.

SpudBud said:
It needs more options of everything.

It would be nice to be able to scale eyes, noses and stuff, kind of like Oblivion.

I agree that a few more options wouldn't hurt, but Oblivion's character maker was absolutely dreadful. It was nigh impossible to produce anything of worth with it.

Vyse The Legend said:
I agree that a few more options wouldn't hurt, but Oblivion's character maker was absolutely dreadful. It was nigh impossible to produce anything of worth with it.
I disagree. It just takes craftsmanship and patience. I've made some beautiful characters in that game. Just wish there were more hair styles in Oblivion and Mass Effect.

newsguy

Ok guys, talk to me because I may need some push to like this one. I HATED KOTOR and more than anything else because it got so much hype. I knew ME had more real time shooting so I gave it a spin. I'm only about an hour in, but there are nagging little things here and there. Texture pop in isn't a big deal, I beat Uncharted and Gears so I'm used to it. There are many bouts of slowdown though, almost similar to Oblivion where it seems to pause when you're walking. I'm also having trouble aiming, does the aim get more steady as you gain levels? Lastly, what the hell do I do with the hacking minigame? It just tells me to press a button, and I always press the right one, yet I ALWAYS fail. And it sucks because I never have enough omnigel to open said door. I really want to like this one because the story looks promising, but I gotta know it gets better.

The Lamonster said:
I disagree. It just takes craftsmanship and patience. I've made some beautiful characters in that game. Just wish there were more hair styles in Oblivion and Mass Effect.

I would honestly like to see the characters you've created in Oblivion, because I've seen maybe one, since the game was released, that was not vomit-inducing.

I finally got the chance to buy the game, which I did in my parent's hometown in CT, on my way back to NYC. Open up the box... ... no disc. WTF?? Why Best Buy? Why?

SpudBud

Vyse The Legend said:
I was thinking more size scaling, but yeah it was near impossible to create anything attractive in oblivion.

Eric WK

Revengeance said:
I finally got the chance to buy the game, which I did in my parent's hometown in CT, on my way back to NYC. Open up the box... ... no disc. WTF?? Why Best Buy? Why?

Oh man. That's horrible.

Mojovonio

Banned
Revengeance said:

SHIT

You won't be able to exchange it either :(.

Big-E

newsguy said:
Ok guys, talk to me because I may need some push to like this one. I HATED KOTOR and more than anything else because it got so much hype. I knew ME had more real time shooting so I gave it a spin. I'm only about an hour in, but there are nagging little things here and there. Texture pop in isn't a big deal, I beat Uncharted and Gears so I'm used to it. There are many bouts of slowdown though, almost similar to Oblivion where it seems to pause when you're walking. I'm also having trouble aiming, does the aim get more steady as you gain levels? Lastly, what the hell do I do with the hacking minigame? It just tells me to press a button, and I always press the right one, yet I ALWAYS fail. And it sucks because I never have enough omnigel to open said door. I really want to like this one because the story looks promising, but I gotta know it gets better.

It does get better though the technical problems like texture popin I felt got worse as the game goes on. You can turn on aim assist to the highest setting if you are having trouble. I really don't understand your problem with the hacking. You just wait for a button to appear and then press it. There are usually between 3-5 button presses untill you hack something.

Vyse The Legend said:
I would honestly like to see the characters you've created in Oblivion, because I've seen maybe one, since the game was released, that was not vomit-inducing.
Okay fine. Someday you'll get a PM or something. While I'm at it, I'll show you my super hot Shepard.

SpudBud

Revengeance said:
That sucks. :/

Eric WK said:
Oh man. That's horrible.

Yeah, it's such an unbelievable thing to return a game for. Called my local BB - have to return the box to the store I bought it at, over an hour way. I'll probably try after rush hour, like 8ish.

newsguy said:
Err... the shooting is nothing like Kotor? It's not based in the Star Wars Universe?

but you had to know that this game was going to be KOTOR with twitch shooting in basically Star Wars-ish universe.

Unless you bought this game on accident but i'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt

Xater

ElectricBlue187 said:
No I said it's KOTOR (or a 3D Bioware game if you prefer) with twitch gunplay in a universe that's basically star wars.

Not really. The universe in ME is more "mature" in my opinion.

karasu

Vyse The Legend said:
My Redguard wasn't too bad:

04-27-07_0254.jpg

ElectricBlue187 said:
No I said it's KOTOR (or a 3D Bioware game if you prefer) with twitch gunplay in a universe that's basically star wars.

Hmm, let me clarify. I'm saddened mainly by this part of your statement. Outside of the 'LOLS BIOTICS = T3H FORCE' thing, which it really isn't, I think Bioware crafted an incredible universe with its own unique personality.

Vyse The Legend said:
Hmm, let me clarify. I'm saddened mainly by this part of your statement. Outside of the 'LOLS BIOTICS = T3H FORCE' thing, which it really isn't, I think Bioware crafted an incredible universe with its own unique personality.
Yeah that's probably what I like most about the game.

Most people say story is the best and I guess it's the same thing.

So... Where's Greg Zeschuk?

ckohler

Indeed. This game is aptly named because the mass effect influences almost everything in the galactic community. So much of the technology now revolves around it, not just interstellar travel but down to how bullets and shields work. Also, I like the concept of omni-gel. It's all very realistic.

The only thing about the story that I find unrealistic is that mankind discovered the mass effect only nine years ago. It seems unlikely to me that they would have developed all of this cool shit in less than a decade around a science they didn't know existed before.

DrBo42

My only problem with the game is starting over. I want to try a new class but the beginning stuff on the
Citadel (Tagging just in case :lol)
is just so damn boring 2nd time through.

ckohler

DrBo42 said:
My only problem with the game is starting over. I want to try a new class but the beginning stuff on the
Did you know you can press X to skip dialog? That might help make certain scenes go by faster.

X26

Banned
DrBo42 said:

I started my second playthrough last night and was in and out of the citadel in 30 - 45mins

*shrugs*

DrBo42

I know but I also want to go through Renegade so I have to choose the dick option in all that dialog. :( I want the experience and money from the quests there too. Should I just skip all of them?

Phthisis

ckohler said:
Indeed. This game is aptly named because the mass effect influences almost everything in the galactic community. So much of the technology now revolves around it, not just interstellar travel but down to how bullets and shields work. Also, I like the concept of omni-gel. It's all very realistic.

The only thing about the story that I find unrealistic is that mankind discovered the mass effect only nine years ago. It seems unlikely to me that they would have developed all of this cool shit in less than a decade around a science they didn't know existed before.

What? They discovered Mass Effect technology 26 years before the game begins.

X26

Banned
DrBo42 said:
I know but I also want to go through Renegade so I have to choose the dick option in all that dialog. :( I want the experience and money from the quests there too. Should I just skip all of them?

hold the left analog stick to the lower right during convos, skip the stuff you've already heard before, and you won't risk picking a neutral/paragon convo option

Chinner

Banned
Ive got a question. Is there acually any Spectre armour in the game? I got the weapons and stuff, but the armour is no where to be found.

X26

Banned
Chinner said:
Ive got a question. Is there acually any Spectre armour in the game? I got the weapons and stuff, but the armour is no where to be found.

I checked constantly for it, but never saw any so I'm going with no :(

ckohler

Phthisis said:
What? They discovered Mass Effect technology 26 years before the game begins.
According to a synopsis of the origin novel, humans discovered Prothean ruins on Mars in 2148 which taught them about the mass effect and thus FTL travel. Less than nine years later in 2157 the First Contact war had already began. So in under nine years mankind had not only figured out how to use the mass effect for FTL travel, but they already had colonized other worlds. Just seems kinda speedy to me, but then again, maybe the Prothean ruins made it easy for them to learn.

Phthisis

ckohler said:
According to a synopsis of the origin novel, humans discovered Prothean ruins on Mars in 2148 which taught them about the mass effect and thus FTL travel. Less than nine years later in 2157 the First Contact war had already began. So in under nine years mankind had not only figured out how to use the mass effect for FTL travel, but they already had colonized other worlds. Just seems kinda speedy to me, but then again, maybe the Prothean ruins made it easy for them to learn.

I was under the impressions that once they found the Arcturus mass relay, all they had to do was turn it on and start using it. Nine years seems more than adequate time to me to study it and test it, then use it and survey nearby star systems and start the colony on Eden Prime.

X26

Banned
Not to mention we don't know how advanced humankind already was prior to the discovery of mass effect. Maybe they already had a lot of the infrastructure and know-how needed to make use of ME

JdFoX187

Banned
Explorers found the technology on Mars. But I would imagine humanity was already in the stars at that point. Probably just flying around the solar system. But I imagine it had already colonized Mars and was probably doing research on other planets. Not that hard to believe nine years could be enough time to stumble across the Citadel.

crazyscreenwriter said:
Personally I think Mass Effect is closer to the Star Trek Universe than the Star Wars Universe. And in someways better than Star Trek
No, in all ways. In Mass Effect, humans are the underdogs - and that's cool.

Top Bottom