• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't believe for a second that she ever really had a choice for which of those ingredients to use.

That's why she got that pass option. They were telling her, "You're using the truffle".

DrForester said:
So weird watching this after Hell's Kitchen. Ramsay is so much more... civilized...

Not only that, but I've been watching his British TV shows with my wife and he is so likable and passionate in a good way. Clearly, Hell's Kitchen is just an act and I'm convinced of that.

Still can't believe Jennifer almost screwed herself!

So weird that Erryn was barely shown and now he's gone. I didn't even know he existed until last episode.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Not only that, but I've been watching his British TV shows with my wife and he is so likable and passionate in a good way. Clearly, Hell's Kitchen is just an act and I'm convinced of that.

Still can't believe Jennifer almost screwed herself!

Yeah it's noticeable in Kitchen Nightmares. It's very much tough love in the UK version, and much more sensational reality show in the US version.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
best contrast is to watch him in the british and american versions of kitchen nightmares. US version is overproduced screaming gimmicky garbage, UK version is such a good show where he actually does good things, while being tough.

edit - beaten by a few secs lol

DrForester said:
Yeah it's noticeable in Kitchen Nightmares. It's very much tough love in the UK version, and much more sensational reality show in the US version.

Most definitely, a study in American television. Quite disturbing actually.

Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares, Best Restaurant, etc, all great UK shows.

jwluther said:
Welp, black guy's finally getting some screen time ... on the night he goes home. :/

WHAT! Just started watching it and wtf! They give him screen time only when he gets kicked off? I'm sure a lot of people were thinking "Wait what? Where did that guy come from?".

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I called them being lobsters for the first challenge, but it would have been awesome if Ramsay had a unicorn or big foot under there that he killed with his bare hands. Also wtf was with them not showing the one brown girl and the crazy hat guys truffel dishes? I wanna see them all so dumb.

While his attitude on the US Kitchen Nightmares and Hell's Kitchen could be "amped up" a bit at Fox's request, it's also worth remembering that his attitude on those shows is really no different than it was on Boiling Point. He was really vicious on that show. He fired one of his staffers for drinking bottled water in front of the customers.

benjipwns

Banned
I think he has the same attitude when doing Kitchen Nightmares at least, I've seen him get frustrated a lot on the U.K. show with certain owners and he has been more than sympathetic to others on the U.S. one. He's completely different in the kitchen. I haven't seen his U.K. Hell's Kitchen version but I have seen both Boiling Points and as SolidSnakex noted he was brutal in those. And his mentor/foe Marco Pierre White has his own intimidation approach so it's reasonable that Ramsay wants to help people on Kitchen Nightmares/MasterChef/etc. but he'll ride you hard in the kitchen. Especially HIS kitchen.

The U.S. Nightmares is just edited completely differently and in a different style. The U.S. one is full of quick cuts and dramatic music. So when Ramsay takes the owner aside and tells him to get the staff or the kitchen in line it's different than when he's doing the same thing in the other version. When they have Ramsay step outside and he talks about how the owner is a fool, the chef can't cook and the waitstaff just got out of prison for armed robbery of the last restaurant they worked at it's different if it's long clear shots of incompetence or a bunch of quick cuts of people screaming, fire everywhere and customers who just happened to get in front of the camera in that exact moment they were openly asking out loud where the food is or why it's so horrible.

Not to mention on the U.K. version Ramsay would generally make suggestions and work with the chefs to make a few new dishes along the lines of the general theme when reworking the menu. (I remember a few episodes where he clashed with owner and chef on the suggestions, like the guy who was offended that Ramsay told him to offer fish and chips since tons of people want it.) The U.S. one increasingly has the show staff creating and preparing a completely giant new menu the staff is expected to know and execute immediately.

You can see the difference when Ramsay first visits and inspects on both. The U.S. version is directly "OMG LOOK HOW THIS IS THE WORST PLACE ON EARTH IN EVERY WAY", while the U.K. approaches it from "this place has its positives, but there are clear problems that need to be addressed."

On a side note, he was also way nicer in the first season of Hell's Kitchen than since it became one of the biggest reality series on TV. He was often encouraging while mostly heat of the moment angry. It seemed like people like Dewberry knew it was oftentimes such and they got along more in a respectful understanding than later seasons are edited. IIRC, he actually consoled and greatly encouraged people who were crying or melting down at times in the back like the one contestant who was "merely" a mom. His MasterChef "persona" of encouragement, harsh truth and sometimes a kick in the butt was not that far away if you include that HIS KITCHEN aspect.

EDIT: Sorry for the tl;dr, first paragraph probably gets the point across but I do love a good ramble.

Pkaz01

Editors for this show need to get fired. Obviously showed the losing team.. and who was going to be on it. Could pretty much skip half of tomorrows show now.

-_-

Banned
I need to stop watching the previews :<

Christian became the new Max and I still want Ben to win, more now because of the "Crustacean Era" comment

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Christian will probably reach the top four or higher but won't win. Villains never win.

Ice Cold. Black dude was humiliated.

Dutch Mafia

Neo Member
Pkaz01 said:
Editors for this show need to get fired. Obviously showed the losing team.. and who was going to be on it. Could pretty much skip half of tomorrows show now.

The editing has been awful the entire season. They wont stay on one shot for more than 3 seconds. Someone is trying to show off and they are doing a bad job at it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Vox-Pop said:
Christian will probably reach the top four or higher but won't win. Villains never win.

Ice Cold. Black dude was humiliated.

Same thing happened last season, though he wasn't as arrogant. But he should have won last season.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
DrForester said:
Same thing happened last season, though he wasn't as arrogant. But he should have won last season.
Wouldn't be surprised if it did happen again. Although you cold feel sorry for the guy last season, he should have won. Christian is just a douche.

Zoe

Einbroch said:
Sonia or whatever her name is is always picked early...and she hasn't done shit. It's bizarre.

Watch her make it far. I remember thinking the same thing about Sheetal because she hardly showed up in the first half of last season.

Heysoos

Haha, poor Red team. Their dessert looked a lot better.

Also, I wasn't paying attention though, but did they give away what team was going into the pressure test near the beginning of the show? Or was that just me?

Zoe

Heysoos said:
Also, I wasn't paying attention though, but did they give away what team was going into the pressure test near the beginning of the show? Or was that just me?

It's possible. They spoiled it in the preview last night.

Top Bottom