• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm sure I mentioned it earlier in the thread a year ago or whatever, but Whitney immediately recognized she had enough time to cook the second one. She was fine, it was the editing that made it look like a crisis. She never actually panicked and just banged it out since all her prep was still done.

I wanted Adrien to win, but I don't really see any grand disparity between them. Jennifer soldiered along with ups and downs. Christian flew out of the gates and faded. Adrien turned it up right at the end. Christian handed Jennifer a pass while Adrien bet high and won. Finale was close enough that, like many Top Chef Finales, I'll defer to the judges.

Especially since we can't fully trust what we see.

EDIT: Noooo, why is this stupid rambling the top post on the page.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DominoKid said:
the pretty face winning.

reading the Masterchef FOX forum seems like they were very displeased by her victory as well.
Wow, you weren't kidding. I don't like Jennifer but there's some serious butthurt happening on the FOX forum.

benjipwns

Banned
I've seen disappointment in a lot of places. But many had a good amount of people who even if they hated the finale were just glad Christian didn't win.

So, good work FOX!

Wow...my dad works with Jennifer's dad and he just told me they might be coming here for dinner sometime.

of course I hated Jennifer this entire season x_x

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
BrassMonkey1010 said:
Wow...my dad works with Jennifer's dad and he just told me they might be coming here for dinner sometime.

of course I hated Jennifer this entire season x_x

My mom works with Jennifer's dad's cousin's dentist, and he said Jennifer smells like cat food. Let me know if that's true.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Jennifer is a former Miss Delaware. Rigged from the start. :/

That poor single dad who fought for custody and that poor Latino waiter didn't have a chance.

UberTag

While I said last week I found the format for Master Chef refreshing compared to Hell's Kitchen, I'm not even going to bother to give it a chance in the future if it's rigged with a pre-determined outcome.

Someone needs to clue reality TV producers into the fact that people don't WANT their reality shows to be rigged. If we want rigged booking, we'll watch wrestling.

Bit-Bit

I was rooting for Whitney last season and was so happy when she won. Some of ya'll might not know this, but Southern Food > All. I mean, fried chicken was what made her win?!?! That's just badass.

As for the whole Jennifer situation, I honestly thought that from the judges comments on the first two dishes that Adrien would win. But it seems Jennifer's was more technical. Which was what the judges said that they were looking for. And FYI, Jennifer is as much a power house as Christian. After all, she won more challenges than anyone in the competition. But I'm sure you guys conveniently forgot about that and just said she won because of her pretty face.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just finally watched the finale tonight and WTF Christian? Meat and fucking potatoes for the semi finales? Goddamn idiot, also Adriens plating is godly, hang that shit up in the louvre its so great to look at. Can't believe that dumb bitch won, she was the most unlikable person after Max. At least we got to see Suzy looking all sexy :)

Pkaz01

I actually liked Whitney and I am surprised that so many people didn't want her to win. I thought she was the most consistent one there and she had the best representation of what the show was about. Jennifer on the other hand was up and down as far as her food went, and her attitude wasn't much better just because Christian is being a douche you don't have to be one back you can take the high road.

There is no cook book for the winner right? only the cash prize? I still think Ben should have won this competition but they have no need for his people skills if there is no cookbook involved.

artist

Banned
diamondstar said:
Well I recorded it earlier and turned it off after the Christian exit. This "Whitney" bullshit kills the show. I would rather watch Hell's Kitchen where they don't try to hide the bullshit.

My girl may watch Master Chef next season but I will not be interested. Just like that bs that is happening with Big Brother.
Haha, you must be kidding. Hell's Kitchen is THE show thats so rigged and full of BS. A lot of the challenges between the teams are rigged to be close, like how it always (99.9%) comes down to the last bit. Also the under/over cook part in the dinner service, we dont get a close look at the food so it all depends on Ramsay if he wants to "help" a certain team and influence the outcome.

Having said that, I'm glad that Jennifer won. I expected a lot of backlash in GAF and other places because Adrien was a latino and was more of a fairy tale story to him that Jennifer. Regardless, this show isnt about crowing Cinderella. And just for the record I was backing Christian and Jennifer was not my favorite. I'm glad she won because after looking at the final courses, I would have picked Jennifer as the winner too.

Einbroch

Banned
irfan said:
Haha, you must be kidding. Hell's Kitchen is THE show thats so rigged and full of BS. A lot of the challenges between the teams are rigged to be close, like how it always (99.9%) comes down to the last bit. Also the under/over cook part in the dinner service, we dont get a close look at the food so it all depends on Ramsay if he wants to "help" a certain team and influence the outcome.

Having said that, I'm glad that Jennifer won. I expected a lot of backlash in GAF and other places because Adrien was a latino and was more of a fairy tale story to him that Jennifer. Regardless, this show isnt about crowing Cinderella. And just for the record I was backing Christian and Jennifer was not my favorite. I'm glad she won because after looking at the final courses, I would have picked Jennifer as the winner too.
Whoosh.

Uh, he's saying he knows it's bullshit and he appreciates that Hell's Kitchen doesn't make any attempt to hide it. It's stupid fun. This show tries to be serious but it's just a popularity contest.

artist

Banned
Einbroch said:
Whoosh.

Uh, he's saying he knows it's bullshit and he appreciates that Hell's Kitchen doesn't make any attempt to hide it. It's stupid fun. This show tries to be serious but it's just a popularity contest.
Well, you could as well say the same to any other show where the end winner wasnt your/his favorite. I would honestly watch something with the hope that its not BS rather than watching something that I know is BS.

Einbroch

Banned
irfan said:
Well, you could as well say the same to any other show where the end winner wasnt your/his favorite. I would honestly watch something with the hope that its not BS rather than watching something that I know is BS.
Last year was crap. Sorry,Whitney shouldn't have won. She won 1/3 dishes, and they straight up said that David won 1/3 and they preferred his other dish (dessert, I believe) to Whitney's. A souffle that didn't rise won? :lol. But Whitney was cuter and marketable.

I'm watching MasterChef Australia right now. Holy shit it is SO much better than the US garbage.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Einbroch said:
Last year was crap. Sorry,Whitney shouldn't have won. She won 1/3 dishes, and they straight up said that David won 1/3 and they preferred his other dish (dessert, I believe) to Whitney's. A souffle that didn't rise won? :lol. But Whitney was cuter and marketable.

I'm watching MasterChef Australia right now. Holy shit it is SO much better than the US garbage.

Where can you watch MC Australia or other country. I'm considering to do.

IntelliHeath said:
Where can you watch MC Australia or other country. I'm considering to do.

Probably have to download it somewhere. But there are like a bazillion episodes, so be prepared.

Einbroch said:

Eh? The souffle rose, but then she turned it out and made her dessert out of it, and it worked and they loved it. She was also a frontrunner the entire competition. David came on strong in the end, but he fell apart and started bawling when Gordon didn't like his Beef Wellington and his dessert was a simple nectarine crepe.

benjipwns

Banned
Just a little heads up for anyone who doesn't follow Hell's Kitchen, this comes back on Monday, the 4th at 9PM Eastern/Pacific. Also Tuesday night, same time. Will probably be Mondays and Tuesdays for the first two weeks again like last season.

Figured we'd just keep using this thread since we're only barely onto page 12 after two seasons.

SuperPac

Just a little heads up for anyone who doesn't follow Hell's Kitchen, this comes back on Monday, the 4th at 9PM Eastern/Pacific. Also Tuesday night, same time. Will probably be Mondays and Tuesdays for the first two weeks again like last season.

Figured we'd just keep using this thread since we're only barely onto page 12 after two seasons.

This is page 23 for me but I'm pretty sure I just have the default view on for NeoGAF. But I agree with keeping this thread instead. Looking forward to the new season - I didn't even realize Hell's Kitchen was going to be on at the same time. It usually starts towards the end of the Master Chef run.

SickBoy

Interesting. Not sure if I'll watch it this year... probably will check out the audition portion, which was pretty cool, but the reality showiness of the rest of the series annoys me.

I think when it comes to food, you can be pretty honest. For example, I feel like Top Chef (and probably Chopped) are much more about the food... any drama that emerges is a bonus, rather than heavily cultivated.

Hopefully they've taken some of the criticisms and improved the show this year. Don't know anything about the other versions that people were touting in this thread, but it sounds like the format/structure is a winner... just that the production could be a little better... would be nice if they moved to emulate the versions that apparently do things better.

Pkaz01

Damn if they cut that last contestant it would be hard to watch, they did that catholic girl dirty. Seems like its going to be a good season they even found their token douchebag.

Zoe

How often in shows like this does someone who doesn't make the cut but is told to come back in the future do they actually come back?

Happens all the time I SYTYCD. Dunno about cooking shows though, this one hasn't been around long enough in the US.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm honestly shocked that they called the family in there to tell her no.

I totally called that...to the letter. That chick isn't ready for basic life let alone being on a cut-throat cooking show.

After what they did with the 18 year old, I was thinking they were going to cut the blind chick too.

Seems like Joe is being the softy this season and Graham is being the hard ass. Gordon just being Gordon.

benjipwns

Banned
Damn if they cut that last contestant it would be hard to watch, they did that catholic girl dirty. Seems like its going to be a good season they even found their token douchebag.
Hey he just knew he could make all that $1000 fru fru food himself at home better!

Just out of curiosity, do you all watch the UK Masterchef? I have literally watched the first episode of this series of US Masterchef and it has completely put me off watching any more of it... It should literally be all about the food, who gives a fuck what happened to the chef.

Just out of curiosity, do you all watch the UK Masterchef? I have literally watched the first episode of this series of US Masterchef and it has completely put me off watching any more of it... It should literally be all about the food, who gives a fuck what happened to the chef.

Yeah, Masterchef: The Professionals is infinitely better. I really hope they are having another season. Michel Roux Jr. is a boss.

Yeah, Masterchef: The Professionals is infinitely better. I really hope they are having another season. Michel Roux Jr. is a boss.
They are definitely having another season. One of the most popular programs in the UK by far. I absolutely love watching Michel and Gregg's reactions to the food. There's no bullshit, no adverts interrupting announcements of who has/hasn't won, it's literally all about the food.

Watching Gordon Ramsay on Kitchen Nightmares US/Hell's Kitchen US was embarrassing enough, but seeing him on Masterchef US is completely fucking cringeworthy. I'd say fair play to him, but unfortunately he is sacrificing literally all of his integrity in favour of making shit loads of money on a terrible TV series.

Terrifying. Ramsay you have fallen so far. No surprise that they haven't decided to do another series of Kitchen Nightmares in the UK.

benjipwns

Banned
I liked that they showed what they're doing for the blind girl, figured they'd have someone to help in the pantry at least.

Still don't like how they portray things as if they could pick all the people moving on before getting to the last group.

Pkaz01

I liked that they showed what they're doing for the blind girl, figured they'd have someone to help in the pantry at least.

Still don't like how they portray things as if they could pick all the people moving on before getting to the last group.

Yea that has always been what irks me about this show. Its a god damn cooking show why the hell dont we get to see their cooking. Just a way to get rid of the average chefs with no personality or sob story.

Top Bottom