• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella reply to Tom Warren: Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants instead of opining on perceived “Bad PS5 Pro early sales”

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants rather than say that it's somehow bad a not limited edition console hasn't sold out for preorders.

gerry dee cbc GIF by Mr. D

Seth Meyers Burn GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So Piscatella is saying it is bad that PS5 Pro hasn't sold out and he was arguing with Tom Warren about it?

Topher

Gold Member
I think it was the other way around; Tom suggesting it was a bad sign that Pro didn't sell out.

I think Mat misunderstood Tom and flew off the handle. Tom saying the price is why it will be widely available. This response makes no sense....

"Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants rather than say that it's somehow bad a not limited edition console hasn't sold out for preorders."

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think Mat misunderstood Tom and flew off the handle. Tom saying the price is why it will be widely available. This response makes no sense....

"Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants rather than say that it's somehow bad a not limited edition console hasn't sold out for preorders."

Tom knows what he's up to with the insinuation, which is why Matt responded the way he did. Just my 2 cents.

DinoD

Tom Warren is f...ing idiot! . PS4 Pro was available as 'walk in store' purchase from day 1. Never was out of stock since.

Also.

* both PS5 and Xbox series sold out initially at launch. Mainly due to to COVID scarcity. supply/demand.
* PS4 was available at launch everywhere. Don't remember being sold out for pre-orders .
* we don't know how many units Sony supplied for pre-orders
* I could go on but CBF

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I explained it in another thread. There is no reason for Sony to be unable to make as many PS5 Pros as needed. It has nothing to do with the price or anything.

Gamers have been conditioned to think that if a console doesn’t sell out it’s failing but that’s just wrong. Console selling out means the hardware maker didn’t do their job. Apple can make and sell as many iPhones as are wanted and it’s tens of millions within a week of launch.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We need context to know if it's good or bad.

Was there 100K units available and they haven't sold out?

Was there 5M units available and they haven't sold out?

It sounds like Mat suggesting it's the latter.
They’ll make as many as they need to. It’s not 2020 with fucked up supply chains all over the place anymore.

Topher

Gold Member
It sounds like Mat is saying....

"You have no idea what you're talking about Tom, so shut the fuck up"

Which would be more leaning towards suggesting they are in good supply.

I think what Mat is trying to say is "Just say it plainly. PS5 Pro not selling out is bad". Of course, he could have just said that as well so he's just as bad if that's his take.

Disregard. This is wrong

Last edited:

onQ123

Basically he is saying it's a good thing that a none limited edition console isn't sold out in the 1st few days of pre-order & not a bad thing.

Just look at the design of the PS5 Pro it's meant to be sold along with the PS5 & not something that a few hardcore gamers buy. Sony made enough

Cornbread78

No, Tom is a smart dude & very faithful to his company of choice. He knew exactly what he trying to say....

I also don't think anyone thinks the system is going to sell more than 15 mil units. It's an enthuiasts piece of tech and nothing more.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Will be interesting to see how PS5 does in September across multiple trackers. It will also be interesting to see what Sony reports on their quarterlies and whether this puts Sony back on track for 18 million units for the fiscal year.

My guess is that they're able to very easily produce PS5 Pros.

It's almost entirely the same internals as the PS5 Slim. I wonder if they'll release a new slim model that has WiFi 7 to further simplify.

The biggest differences between the PS5 Slim and PS5 Pro are the chassis including the board having USB-C across the board up front, the larger SSD, and the GPU. I'm sure they can build as many of these as they want.

But it's also possible that the demand is truly lower than expected, despite initially selling out in every region. They haven't announced anything, but they haven't been quick to announce these things. We don't even have Astro Bot numbers.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
No, Tom is a smart dude & very faithful to his company of choice. He knew exactly what he trying to say....

I also don't think anyone thinks the system is going to sell more than 15 mil units. It's an enthuiasts piece of tech and nothing more.

I think how many units it sells will have a lot to do with GTA6 and what pro enhancements it has.

Cornbread78

I think how many units it sells will have a lot to do with GTA6 and what pro enhancements it has.

True, but it would have to be more widely supported by 3rd partys and not having CoD or any of the traditionally janky Beth stuff enhanced is gonna hurt.

Last edited:

XXL

I think what Mat is trying to say is "Just say it plainly. PS5 Pro not selling out is bad". Of course, he could have just said that as well so he's just as bad if that's his take.
I agree the wording isn't great regardless.

Rockman33

Tom Warren is f...ing idiot! . PS4 Pro was available as 'walk in store' purchase from day 1. Never was out of stock since.

Also.

* both PS5 and Xbox series sold out initially at launch. Mainly due to to COVID scarcity. supply/demand.
* PS4 was available at launch everywhere. Don't remember being sold out for pre-orders .
* we don't know how many units Sony supplied for pre-orders
* I could go on but CBF
Tom Warren may or may not be a f’n idiot but your facts are wrong.

Ps4pro was often hard to find. Not sure if it was a supply problem or demand. But it wasn’t “easily” found throughout its life cycle.

Ps5 and series X were hard to find for well over a year. Not sure what the hell you’re talking about.

Kacho

Gold Member
I explained it in another thread. There is no reason for Sony to be unable to make as many PS5 Pros as needed. It has nothing to do with the price or anything.

Gamers have been conditioned to think that if a console doesn’t sell out it’s failing but that’s just wrong. Console selling out means the hardware maker didn’t do their job. Apple can make and sell as many iPhones as are wanted and it’s tens of millions within a week of launch.
Sony will make enough to meet their estimated demand. The PS Portal sold out because Sony underestimated demand (smartly so).

Whether the Pro sells well or not is anyone's guess, but it's not out of the question to assume the price point will have an impact on how well it does. Especially in this economy.

Top Bottom