• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella reply to Tom Warren: Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants instead of opining on perceived “Bad PS5 Pro early sales”

Brigandier

Sony himself put the PS5 Pro in a bad light with the price…

Car Police GIF by BabylonBee

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sony will make enough to meet their estimated demand. The PS Portal sold out because Sony underestimated demand (smartly so).

Whether the Pro sells well or not is anyone's guess, but it's not out of the question to assume the price point will have an impact on how well it does. Especially in this economy.

Exactly. When Sony sold 21.8 million PS5s last fiscal year, I don't recall it being sold out. And maybe more importantly is that they have more than enough time to ramp up supply ahead of launch.

Let's say they sold out of PS5 Pros in a specific region. They have more than a month to refill stock. We know that they can produce more than 1.3 million units per month. Probably closer to 1.5-2 million units per month.

If you had a pre-stock allocation of 1 million units and that pre-stock sold out and you prep for the holidays another million, you can fulfill that easily for launch by shifting priority of regular PS5s to Pros and focus on selling the PS5 standard skus you already have in stock.

I think we can safely assume that the PS5 Pro isn't selling SO fast that it is outpacing Sony's built in stock AND what they can manufacture in the next 2 months in addition to what they've allocated for retailers.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony will make enough to meet their estimated demand. The PS Portal sold out because Sony underestimated demand (smartly so).

Whether the Pro sells well or not is anyone's guess, but it's not out of the question to assume the price point will have an impact on how well it does. Especially in this economy.

Well, they set the price knowingly. This idea that it is going to be some big flop because they set the price high is stupid.

It's like the Pro Max or high-end fold phones. The prices are what they are and they sell what they sell and the companies that make them (Apple, Samsung, etc.) set them to hit those numbers.

Last edited:
Anyone wanna take bets that the PS5 Pro will outsell one of the Xbox Series consoles in November?
I like how you are so consifdant that you only mention ps5 outselling one of the series consoles, not both. Frankly if ps5pro is somehow selling even worse than both combined, Sony has a stinker in their hands. Especially considering how much Xbox sales have declined this year

Edit: Also I believe ps5pro is going to sell about as well as ps4 pro. And ps4 pro never really sold out, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So Tom points out that PS5 Pro isnt sold out during peak demand at launch, so it should be available at holidays.

In response Matt has an incoherent meltdown and everyone on here loves it. The rest of the thread goes on bragging about how great it is that its not sold out because Sony nailed their supply, which is actually what Tom said in the first place.

One of the dumbest threads I've ever read.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Then why is Mat calling him out for not saying it is "bad"?

I'm not defending Tom. I'm trying to understand wtf mat is trying to say.
Tom implied that the PS5 Pro is not selling well because the pre-orders did not sell 100%.

Matt responded that Tom's implication was wrong. The presumption was never that the PS5 Pro will 100% sell the pre-orders.

I agree with Matt here because of historical precedence. PS4 Pro was very successful for Sony (20% sales of PS4s), but even PS4 Pro (at $399) never sold 100% pre-orders. So why is there an expectation that the PS5 Pro ($700) will do that?

Sony is clearly focusing on margins here, instead of volumes. So in the case of PS5 Pro, Sony will be even more comfortable with lower volumes.

But Tom is subtly comparing it with PS5 Standard sales - which sold 100% of the pre-orders - and implying that the Pro is turning out to be a failure.

Mat a real one, g.

I think 15M+ LTD is realistic for PS5 Pro if its available for 3-4 years.

PS5 just sold around 30M units in the last 18 months or so.

Personally think it'll come in a bit lower than that (btw PS4 Pro did ~ 13.5 million; it was 20% of sales since its release in 2016 not 20% PS4 lifetime). If it keeps the $699 for the whole way (or even increases in price over time, that's possible too), probably looking at 10-11 million tops. 9-10 million safe estimate.

IMO the better question is what will regular PS5 sales look like over the next four years, as that's where the volume will be and while it's still selling well, it's some 2 million behind PS4 launch-aligned globally. Will that gap close or will it grow? That's what we should be looking for.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Well, they set the price knowingly. This idea that it is going to be some big flop because they set the price high is stupid.

It's like the Pro Max or high-end fold phones. The prices are what they are and they sell what they sell and the companies that make them (Apple, Samsung, etc.) set them to hit those numbers.

We'll know if Sony hit their desired numbers largely by if they meet their forecast of 18 million units sold for the year. They didn't shift their forecast down despite Q1 being off pace. I tried telling people that was because they were expecting the PS5 Pro to make up the difference. The PS5 Pro needs to sell likely 3-4 million units this fiscal year to get them to 18 million units.

If they sell a million in the launch window, they have 4 months to sell an additional 2-3 million units. We'll know by the end of FYQ3 whether they're back on pace and just how well the Pro is doing.

But I also think Wukong may have helped them get back on pace. Really difficult to know because we don't know the breakdown in China.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Tom implied that the PS5 Pro is not selling well because the pre-orders did not sell 100%.

Matt responded that Tom's implication was wrong. The presumption was never that the PS5 Pro will 100% sell the pre-orders.

I agree with Matt here because of historical precedence. PS4 Pro was very successful for Sony (20% sales of PS4s), but even PS4 Pro (at $399) never sold 100% pre-orders. So why is there an expectation that the PS5 Pro ($700) will do that?

Sony is clearly focusing on margins here, instead of volumes. So in the case of PS5 Pro, Sony will be even more comfortable with lower volumes.

But Tom is subtly comparing it with PS5 Standard sales - which sold 100% of the pre-orders - and implying that the Pro is turning out to be a failure.

Yeah....I finally figured out Mat's incoherent rambling after a while. Still think he overreacted, but that's what he is known for. Tom trolls Sony regularly so he's like background noise to me that regard.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Mat is a geniune corporate shill and have been caught intentionally misrepresenting data. His NPD reports are useless now. No actual data. Just random percentages to create the perception that these big corpos aren't facing diminished sales.

People can take those percentages all the way back to the time where we actually got numbers and still produce solid estimates.

Kacho

Gold Member

No one has said it will be a flop

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Probably Microsoft, lol

Rumors suggest that Sony has mandated PS5 Pro enhanced support for all new titles. First that doesn't appear to be the case or at least the date given doesn't seem to add up, or these studios simply haven't announced their Pro updates.

It also isn't clear what those mandates look like.

I doubt they would mandate the use of PSSR on all titles. Maybe they would mandate it if FSR is used on the base console. Maybe they've also mandated DRS or uncapped modes on the PS5 Pro.

This is why I think this is a really interesting time in gaming. We're going to see a lot of new things on consoles that we haven't seen before.

Tygeezy

That's all it took to trigger Mat? Dude seems very easily agitated.
He’s a huge pussy. I was blocked by him a long time ago for something I said that was pretty docile that I guess he took great offense too. I tried to actually pull up what I said, but it looks like he deleted his account altogether. Again, giant pussy 😆

Last edited:

onQ123

So Tom points out that PS5 Pro isnt sold out during peak demand at launch, so it should be available at holidays.

In response Matt has an incoherent meltdown and everyone on here loves it. The rest of the thread goes on bragging about how great it is that its not sold out because Sony nailed their supply, which is actually what Tom said in the first place.

One of the dumbest threads I've ever read.
If you think that's what Tom was getting at you don't know Tom lol

Mat knew exactly what Tom was insinuating .

StereoVsn

Mat a real one, g.

Personally think it'll come in a bit lower than that (btw PS4 Pro did ~ 13.5 million; it was 20% of sales since its release in 2016 not 20% PS4 lifetime). If it keeps the $699 for the whole way (or even increases in price over time, that's possible too), probably looking at 10-11 million tops. 9-10 million safe estimate.

IMO the better question is what will regular PS5 sales look like over the next four years, as that's where the volume will be and while it's still selling well, it's some 2 million behind PS4 launch-aligned globally. Will that gap close or will it grow? That's what we should be looking for.
Well, we know that PS5 sales are falling in all markets this year. It’s all mainly due to pricing as Sony appears to have exhausted the main pool of gamers willing to pony up $500+ for a console (depending on the region).

Pro I think will do worse with PS5 Casual ratios in comparison to PS4 Pro as the price gap was smaller and overall price was a lot lower.

It’s going to be certainly interesting to see sales over next year either way. I think Sony is being too stubborn about the price but I guess someone has to pay for Concord, TLOU Factions, and upcoming Faiegame$! 😉

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It just has to work on Pro to pass certification. There is no way in hell MS is going to make PS5p the best way to play CoD on consoles. Parity is ps5/SerX.
PS5 already has been the best place to play cod.
If they don't add some Pro enhancements it will be a bad look on them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It just has to work on Pro to pass certification.
Yes.
There is no way in hell MS is going to make PS5p the best way to play CoD on consoles. Parity is ps5/SerX.
MS absolutely will. COD sells the most on PlayStation consoles. Activision/MS wants the most revenue and profits, and they know it's on PS.

They already made Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush better on PS5 than they are on XSX. Watch them support PS5 Pro and DualSense with all the bells and whistles with COD as well as their other 1P games, including Indiana Jones and Doom.

Last edited:

XXL

Mat a real one, g.

I think GTA VI is going to have a massive effect on PS5 and PS5 Pro sales.

It's the first new GTA game in 11 years and GTA is bigger than ever now (assuming R* doesn't completely fuck it up).

Don't under estimate GTA....it's literally the killer app/system seller (and not just at launch), more so than anything that has released at this point this generation.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

People can take those percentages all the way back to the time where we actually got numbers and still produce solid estimates.
He intentionally posts misleading data and often times covers up diminishing sales. He's basically a corporate damage control machine. The one time he wasn't was with Stellar Blade, where he somehow felt obliged to point out sales were on par with Prototype 2, after people noted it was the #1 game in its month of release.

Remember his own estimates of Steam player statistics? It was so massively off that he took it down.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PS4 Pro was very successful for Sony (20% sales of PS4s)

13 percent, not 20.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well I'm happy it isn't sold out and Sony produced enough units to meet the demand. That's how it should be. Now if this launch was successful depends on how many they sold through vs. their target, which nobody outside of Sony knows? I can't imagine any numbers regarding this product being anywhere near dramatic or even just negative.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The Pro went on sale today in Japan, initial batches online went out of stock within hours but Japanese users can still pre order the system at retail.

Japan doesn't seem to be getting a lot of stock for some reason.

Amazon.co.jp always seems to be out of stock of new PS5 hardware.

But Sony definitely has the ability to surge more units if they need to between now and Nov 7.

It'll be interesting to see if they have to promise units after launch day at any point. As I mentioned before they can probably create 2 million additional PS5 Pros in the next month, so I doubt it'll be a problem.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Have you pre ordered a ps5 pro?

Because reading your post you are actually defending a company that you admit is shafting you as a consumer.

Basically, "my favourite Sony is clearly focusing on higher margins from its end users and as such they will be happy with a lower volume of sales...arent Sony so intelligent"

Wild

panda-zebra

Tom's just doing what he's paid to do - sprinkle joy and FUD into the lives of his followers in equal measure. Exactly what you'd expect form someone so vain as to use a 15 year old profile pic.

Mat's doing what Mat does best - dropping science and occasionally thumping down on the desk when some fuckwit armchair expert dares step a toe into his area of expertise spouting FUD or nonsense. Sometimes he thinks better of it and deletes the post later, but sometimes not.

Either way, this is a joy to see. Warren be Warin' and Matto the statto, who can literally see exactly what's happening and put it into historical context (at least as far as the US market goes) held out his magic middle finger. Love to see it...

Star Wars GIF

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Making a profit on a product doesn’t mean they are “shafting you” …otherwise nobody would be in business

We all know he is implying considerably more margin. Rumours float9ng around is they are making as much as 200 dollars a box on a ps5 pro.

If that is true, they are clearly attempting to mix margins as the component cost on ps5 hasn't reduced at all over 4 years so they are still making a loss on hardware.

When I hear a business is milking it's users for extra margin, I wait until I get it ona deep sale so I can erode some back and feel like I'm getting a better deal.

I wouldnt be putting the idea forward on the Internet like they are doing good business. Like you're not self aware enough to realise you are supporting a business that is openly/clearly shafting you.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
We all know he is implying considerably more margin. Rumours float9ng around is they are making as much as 200 dollars a box on a ps5 pro.

Making $200?

They break even on their base PS5s.

$450 + $100 for an extra TB is $550

Now add more expensive GPU, higher cost power supply, cooling, and WiFi…Even assuming all that is only $50 (it’s probably closer to $100), that’s only $100 margin on a $700 product, or 14%. Not exactly highway robbery and pretty competitive when stacked against other consumer electronics margins

The $599 Series X is much more of a “shafting”

Last edited:
Top Bottom