• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscatella reply to Tom Warren: Just stick to hyping AI crap no one wants instead of opining on perceived “Bad PS5 Pro early sales”

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Making $200?

They break even on their base PS5s.

$450 + $100 for an extra TB is $550

Now add more expensive GPU, higher cost power supply, cooling, and WiFi…Even assuming all that is only $50 (it’s probably closer to $100), that’s only $100 margin on a $700 product, or 14%. Not exactly highway robbery and pretty competitive when stacked against other consumer electronics margins

The $599 Series X is much more of a “shafting”

Yeah for these companies, and extra tb is far from 100 dollars in bom cost. Everything you listed is probs 50 dollars of bom cost to Sony. Maybe 75 at a push and that's all of it. Wifi 7 setc

I agree the Ltd edition xbox is a complete mess of a product. That's a rip off too.

Hard to gleam much from that without knowing how many units were produced, though that's not surprising news regardless. It's a $700 console, in this economy, and at a time of year when people are already spending hundreds/thousands on gifts. It's a big ask with that price, and frankly the marketing for this thing so far has fallen flat.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This is a strategic move by Sony, by initially targeting the enthusiast market with a premium price point, basically paying for early access. Lowering the price short after for a wider market, once the initial demand from the enthusiast segment has been met.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Making $200?

They break even on their base PS5s.

$450 + $100 for an extra TB is $550

Now add more expensive GPU, higher cost power supply, cooling, and WiFi…Even assuming all that is only $50 (it’s probably closer to $100), that’s only $100 margin on a $700 product, or 14%. Not exactly highway robbery and pretty competitive when stacked against other consumer electronics margins

The $599 Series X is much more of a “shafting”

Sony is not breaking even on the base PS5s. They've reported losses in the financial reports consistently for years on hardware.

Radical_3d

Warren is not saying that the Pro is selling poorly but that there will be availability this holidays. Which I concur. I plan to just walk in to the Store in the center of my city and just grab one on November 7th.

demigod

Tom Warren may or may not be a f’n idiot but your facts are wrong.

Ps4pro was often hard to find. Not sure if it was a supply problem or demand. But it wasn’t “easily” found throughout its life cycle.

Ps5 and series X were hard to find for well over a year. Not sure what the hell you’re talking about.
When the marching orders are out to the shills, the herd of sheeps blindly follows. The ps4 pro was not hard to find, stop making shit up.

Kerotan

Tom Warren is just letting his Xbox bros know they can upgrade to PS5 Pro easily.

So if he's saying it's not sold out in the USA and UK does that mean it's sold out elsewhere?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Tom Warren is f...ing idiot! . PS4 Pro was available as 'walk in store' purchase from day 1. Never was out of stock since.

Also.

* both PS5 and Xbox series sold out initially at launch. Mainly due to to COVID scarcity. supply/demand.
* PS4 was available at launch everywhere. Don't remember being sold out for pre-orders .
* we don't know how many units Sony supplied for pre-orders
* I could go on but CBF
Where are you from? In the US pretty much every main console sold out at launch. Ps4 was hard to get initially until after Xmas. Covid didn't make the consoles hard to get, it made them harder to get. I think even the WiiU was hard to get for a couple of weeks.

The Pro models not selling out for preorders does absolutely mean something. It does not mean the same as a new platform not selling out, but it does mean they seem to have overestimated demand. Even if they don't expect to sell a ton, they should have burned through preorders which are not all the units that will be available for launch. This soft demand is not at all unexpected. The main PS5 is not selling super well anymore and the only people buying the Pro are those who already have a base model.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I bet quite a few warriors are sad that it hasn't sold out though. I am certain that the expectation from many fans was that it was going to sell out. That's presumably why Tom Warren isn't allowed to comment on it, because the truth is upsetting to a small but intense group of people.

Strange that Piscatella is weighing in though.

The best thing is that Piscatella criticises Warren's hyping of "AI crap" when the PS5 pro makes image enhancements... ...Through AI.

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

Last edited:
Is there some Stonecutters type group who are making it their mission to fight against the PS5 Pro. Current narrative is the Pro is not selling as pre-orders are still available, even though we have no idea how many are available to pre-order. We have also had 'Who is the Pro for?' 'Xbox will start next gen early so Pro is a waste of time' 'The release of the Pro will allow developers to now use all XSX features.

ap_puff

Yeah for these companies, and extra tb is far from 100 dollars in bom cost. Everything you listed is probs 50 dollars of bom cost to Sony. Maybe 75 at a push and that's all of it. Wifi 7 setc

I agree the Ltd edition xbox is a complete mess of a product. That's a rip off too.
the bigger GPU alone will cost at least $50(remember its going from 6nm to 4nm, which is about 60-70% more expensive). faster RAM and bigger SSD is another 50. It's easily an extra $100 in bom costs. Likely Sony could have priced it at $650 or included the drive and made a small profit but they want more. Personally I dont think an extra $50 is a dealbreaker, even if $700 is a lot compared to what console players normally pay

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is there some Stonecutters type group who are making it their mission to fight against the PS5 Pro. Current narrative is the Pro is not selling as pre-orders are still available, even though we have no idea how many are available to pre-order.

Eh, has any playstation console not sold out at launch in the last 20 years? Even the portal sold out.

That's fairly significant, you've got to expect journalists commenting on the news to comment on something like that.

I personally think it's unlikely that Sony will have made a vast number of these consoles available, and that the price will have put plenty of people off. But as you say, we don't have figures.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Are you really comparing PSSR to Recall?
No, I'm doing a little joke. That's why I put the gif of Biden in there saying "Whoa!" To underline that I was doing a joke. A joke is sometimes where you sort of pretend that something that isn't real, IS real, but in a really obvious way, because nobody would really think anyone would think that.

Last edited:

DinoD

It was sold out at launch.
Cheers. Back in 2013. I went along with my mate to our local electronics retailer for him to pick up his pre-order PS4. When we got there. There was a whole stack of PS4's and I asked if I could buy one too. Easy as! I certainly do not remember people trying to hunt them down or wait days/months for them.

Eh, has any playstation console not sold out at launch in the last 20 years? Even the portal sold out.

That's fairly significant, you've got to expect journalists commenting on the news to comment on something like that.

I personally think it's unlikely that Sony will have made a vast number of these consoles available, and that the price will have put plenty of people off. But as you say, we don't have figures.
Ps4 pro is the only one I can recall.

Bojji

This is a strategic move by Sony, by initially targeting the enthusiast market with a premium price point, basically paying for early access. Lowering the price short after for a wider market, once the initial demand from the enthusiast segment has been met.

If that happens there will be a lot of salty ambassadors on this forum...

pzCNGpd.jpeg

Astray

From my memory PS4 was super easy to get, I got one launch week with my brother with zero issues.

PS5 I only got on launch week due to complete luck on my part (literally saw that pre-orders went live a day before the official launch date and went for it. Called a few friends to give them a tip to pick up theirs too and they're all thankful for it.

It is possible the Pro will be sold out at launch, without figures we just have no idea how sales are doing. I preordered a Pro, but my order was showing not guaranteed for launch day, so I decided to cancel. Will probably try ordering from Amazon as I have credit on my account.

Boss Mog

I know several people who want to buy one, myself included, but since we mostly own physical games and disc drives are unavailable at retailers at MSRP, there's no point in buying the system for now.

Sony was stupid not releasing a version with the disc drive. The kind of PS gamer who is gonna buy the PS5 Pro is the kind that will most likely favor physical games. Like I said in the other thread if they had released it with 1TB and a disc drive for $700 most PS gamers would've been fine with it. Really a stupid move to included 2TB when SSD prices have doubled since last year. Thankfully I bought a 2TB drive for like 100 bucks last year when prices were at their lowest.

Last edited:
Tom implied that the PS5 Pro is not selling well because the pre-orders did not sell 100%.
Have we decided the post is meant to be negative just because Tom posted it? If Matt had posted what Tom did, using the exact same words it would be taken as a positive.

I don’t understand how Tom’s post has an interpretation other than, this is great you won’t struggle to find a PS5 Pro this holiday, scalpers didn’t manage to get them all.

I mean Tom Warren is basically a Microsoft employee, Piscatella shouldn't be surprised

He should have asked him how well the 2 TB Xbox Series X pre-orders are doing

Hardware from 4 years ago sold at $600

LOL

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don’t understand how Tom’s post has an interpretation other than, this is great you won’t struggle to find a PS5 Pro this holiday, scalpers didn’t manage to get them all.
Personally, I think the comment is most interesting in the context of price discussion. I don't care about the value, the cost of components, etc. but I am interested in seeing what the answer is to: "are people prepared to spend 700 on a games console?"

You'd think there wasn't anything triggering about that, but on neogaf, you'll be in a ten page thread by breakfast.

Last edited:
Maybe an overreaction, but Tom usually doesn't have anything positive to say about Sony.

I didn't expect the system to sell out, both because of supply and also due to it's exorbitant price point.

I'd expect it to just be readily available this holiday, as it's more of a niche system and they made plenty it seems.

If nothing else, it'll result in scalpers who did buy regular PS5 Pros to flip not getting what they hoped.

Don't expect them to cut the price at all. 2 TB vs 1 TB is a separate decision and I think if they went with 1 they would have cut the price.

Blame MS for doing a 2 TB model.

Sony was stupid not releasing a version with the disc drive. The kind of PS gamer who is gonna buy the PS5 Pro is the kind that will most likely favor physical games.

Need to find out how many people want the Disc, enough to bother to buy it separately and install it.

You know, in this adorably all digital future.

Last edited:
PS4 Pro didn’t sellout either and you could easily find one in any store, yet Sony is making a PS5 Pro…so id say these things mean nothing specifically without numbers on how many units will be available on day one.
At launch yes. But eventually it became often difficult to find one, even online. I remember been often sold out in online stores. I have personnaly never seen one at a retail shop.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I bet quite a few warriors are sad that it hasn't sold out though.

Plenty of warriors are also relieved that it didn't.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

The only console comparable to the PS5 Pro is the PS4 Pro. There is some debate about how much demand that mid-gen refresh had as well.

Neofire

Last person I expected to G check Tom on the behalf of the PS5 pro but I can dig it. Tom should know better to, the pro is not intended or expected to sell out by Sony it is an enthusiast console. So people running with the "of it didn't sell out so it's doomed" narrative is clownish.

Top Bottom