• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Ok seriously what the fuck. I've spend half the game shooting through a thousand goons
trying to save Fabriana just for Max to walk into a room like a dumbass and have her get shot in the head. Now I have to start this shit over again with the sister and douche bag I've already rescued? I think I'm finished.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finally finished the SP yesterday — man, what a ride! I loved the entire campaign, and thought it was consistent throughout. Definitely one of my favorite games of this generation, and one of the best Rockstar games ever. I'm not a big fan of open-world games, so it was refreshing to play something like this made by them. I almost NEVER replay games these days, and certainly not right after completing it for the first time, but I'm considering it with this one. That's probably the highest praise I can possibly give!

For the first time, I felt like the controls in a Rockstar game were excellent. I never felt like I was struggling with them, or that I was a tank trying to maneuver a china shop. The other things that Rockstar excels at were solid as always — great presentation (the cutscenes were very well done), voice acting, writing, sound design, etc. This is really one of the best "cinematic gaming" experiences I have ever had. The graphics were also excellent, but in a subtle way — I wasn't constantly blown away by them, but the level of detail in the environments, physics, effects, etc. was impressive. Euphoria is awesome.

The OST may go down as one of my favorites ever, and I think it might be the best thing HEALTH has done yet. As a fan, it was just really cool hearing their sound/style translate to a soundtrack for something like this — and then, of course, there were the passages that sounded like nothing else they've ever done (Ch.11/
Panama
, for example), and those impressed me as well. And when "Severin" hit during the last level, my mind was fucking blown. They had kind of fallen off my radar for a while (haven't listened to their albums in a while), but now I'm really looking forward to their next one. This is great publicity for them, and they should gain a bunch of new fans from this, which is awesome.

HEALTH did an incredible job with the the soundtrack; really memorable stuff. I've known about them for a good while but have always written them off, considering I'm generally wary of hipster bands that the likes of Pitchfork cream their skinny jeans over. But after experiencing the Max Payne 3 OST, I really ought to listen to their back catalogue sometime.

Hmmmmm

HEALTH did an incredible job with the the soundtrack; really memorable stuff. I've known about them for a good while but have always written them off, considering I'm generally wary of hipster bands that the likes of Pitchfork cream their skinny jeans over. But after experiencing the Max Payne 3 OST, I really ought to listen to their back catalogue sometime.

You know, everybody keeps saying how amazing the soundtrack is and to be completely honest I haven't noticed the music at all while playing yet. Granted I'm only up to
the chapter where you're in the graveyard
but there haven't been any stand out moments where I really took note of the music.

Gui_PT

You know, everybody keeps saying how amazing the soundtrack is and to be completely honest I haven't noticed the music at all while playing yet. Granted I'm only up to
the chapter where you're in the graveyard
but there haven't been any stand out moments where I really took note of the music.

What's it like to have no soul?

Last chapter is simply amazing with the music it has.

Tokubetsu

Ok seriously what the fuck. I've spend half the game shooting through a thousand goons
trying to save Fabriana just for Max to walk into a room like a dumbass and have her get shot in the head. Now I have to start this shit over again with the sister and douche bag I've already rescued? I think I'm finished.

You're ghetto trash, go home.

Fry

itsovar6gipj.jpg

RIP

5-15-2012 to 5-26-2012

193 active players in Payne Killer right now.

1063 in Gang Wars, 1009 in Team Deathmatch. Best numbers I've seen so far, but I'm still shocked to why it's so low. Aren't people tired of playing the same FPS every fucking year? I mean, it's not even original anymore.

Simo

193 active players in Payne Killer right now.

1063 in Gang Wars, 1009 in Team Deathmatch. Best numbers I've seen so far, but I'm still shocked to why it's so low. Aren't people tired of playing the same FPS every fucking year? I mean, it's not even original anymore.

What are the numbers for Soft Lock?

Simo

Oh yeah, there's that! I always choose Free Aim automatically I didn't even realised. I'm in the middle of a TDM right now, I'll catch you in a few minutes.

That's the problem - everyone is in the Soft Lock lobbies which is why Free Aim is dying fast. It's pretty much to the point that I have to jump into the Soft Lock lobbies just to get in a full game, especially with as little as I've been playing.

Fry

That's the problem - everyone is in the Soft Lock lobbies which is why Free Aim is dying fast. It's pretty much to the point that I have to jump into the Soft Lock lobbies just to get in a full game, especially with as little as I've been playing.

Payne Killer: 510
Gang Wars: 2292
TDM: 2537

Big difference there, I never played Soft Lock before. Gonna give it a go because of the reason you said.

Just finished this game by recommendation of a friend. I'm really glad I played it, as I thought it was a solid, fun, and enagaging game. The dialogue is overwrought and melodramatic, though. Incredibly so.

The amount of detail in this game is staggering. Just the little things like holding a shotgun in one hand while you have a pistol in the other is really neat. Game looks gorgeous, too. I'm afraid I played it a little too conservatively, though. I hid behind cover most of the time, since diving out into a firefight seemed to get me killed more often than not. Best game if played this year (actually, only game I've played this year, but whatever, it was great).

jred2k

The playlist numbers in Free Aim seem to be going up fairly steadily since Friday. It might just be because of the holiday weekend in the States, but I think there was also a lot of people that didn't get into mp until they were done with the story. I'd like to see this catch on a little better cause it's pretty fun, but right now it doesn't look like it'll have much life in it.

d0c_zaius

liked SP, but the last two levels really frustrated me and kind of brought down the experience. It seems like they made it longer to give you more time as non-bald Payne, which is a mistake.

overall solid game though.

Tokubetsu

I'm down to play with some gaffers right now on 360. Tag is "Tokubetsu." I'm not in the GAF clan. I'm in my own gang, by myself, because I'm cool.

Loudninja

It doesn't? It does to me because if everybody stops playing free aim there will be nothing in the multiplayer for me anymore, which fucking sucks.

Softlock is for noob clowns who cant aim for shit so they have to resort to a fucking aimbot on consoles.
Oh I meant for SP sorry.

Yeah I would like people to use free aim in multiplayer though.

Fry

Played half an hour of Soft Lock and switched back to Free Aim. You just wander around, find someone and the winner will be the one who aimed at you first. There is no fun at all.

R* should make Free Aim default. Fifa 12 had a similar situation: they made a brand new defensive system and it was brilliant, but decided to leave the option to use the old system in the online multiplayer too. They later fixed it with a patch and made the new system default.

JB1981

Mind if I ask why?

I got that done in like 2 minutes without dying

Because its 100% trial and error. You have to memorize enemy locations especially the heavy at the end. If you are caught on the wrong side of cover you are fucked. It doesn't help the building coming down completely fuks with your aim and you stumble all over the place

Gui_PT

Because its 100% trial and error. You have to memorize enemy locations especially the heavy at the end. If you are caught on the wrong side of cover you are fucked. It doesn't help the building coming down completely find with your aim and you stumble all over the place

That did not happen with me. Hope it doesn't happen on my next runs =\

Finished this just now.
Mixed feelings, loved some parts & hated others. Difficulty curve seems all over the place, too many bullet-sponge goons and would it really have killed the 'cinematic' experience to have control of Max outside of a gunfight?
I missed the slight weirdness of the Remedy games - even the
nightmares (which would have helped break up the cutscene-gunfight-cutscene-gunfight monotony).
Looks great though, fantastic animation & soundtrack. Plot was a bit meh, I had no idea who
Becker was or why I needed to kill him.
Some nice little touches like
the photo-fit of Max looking like he did in the first game.
Also, in the NEVER ENDING credits,
there's a VA credited for Mona Sax. Where was she?

Eurocult

Just finished the campaign. Action game of this gen for me. Doubtful that I'll be jumping into the multiplayer, most of the time it's just not for me.

Finished the SP. Really fantastic game although there are way too many cutscenes and Max should just keep quiet sometimes. And sometimes it takes a shitload of bullits to kill someone. But nitpickin aside, I really love this game. Next is the MP.

By the way what was up with those distortion effects during cutscenes? Goddamn annoying.

Finished the SP. Really fantastic game although there are way too many cutscenes and Max should just keep quiet sometimes. And sometimes it takes a shitload of bullits to kill someone. But nitpickin aside, I really love this game. Next is the MP.

I had the same problem until I realized the enemies were wearing body armor. Go for headshots.

Con_Smith

Banned
Anyone else having freezing issues with multiplayer? I installed disk one on the box and it seems to have helped a little, but man. Something about this game seems to cause my xbox to act real sluggish aftafterwards.

Also i hate how i can't join in games with neogang members that arent on my xbox friendlist. I really want to join the fight with some of you guys and it sucks i can't ust hop in and slow mo blast fools with bros.
I suggest we have neogang nights where we crew up and take some crews out and score big on the leaderboards. I wanna see neogang leading when gta5 hits.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Game is starting to piss me off now with its poor matchmaking. Had a few rounds in a row in the same lobby that wentsomething like this.

Team #1

lvl 16 Me
lvl 4 Guy
lvl 7 Guy

vs

Team #2

lvl 29 Guy
lvl 28 Guy
lvl 24 Guy
lvl 19 Guy

Only way I can see it kept pairing up the higher levels was because they could've been in a party or something, but still. I think Halos matchmaking has spoiled me and I expect better from other games. :/

Montresor

Gang Wars + Payne Killer are awesome modes.

I've been sticking to Gang Wars though, trying to get a shutout, and I was really close. Fudge. That one will probably take awhile.

Fry

Gang Wars + Payne Killer are awesome modes.

I've been sticking to Gang Wars though, trying to get a shutout, and I was really close. Fudge.

I love Payne Killer. It's awesome being Max Payne, sometimes I even hide from the other guys so they don't kill me. :lol

Top Bottom