• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

That better not be true. As much as I like the series, $60 just isn't worth that to me anymore.

I do not believe it, honestly. They worked for years on Max Payne 3. How in the world are they going to justify a $60 price tag when the singleplayer is only 5 hours long? We all know the singleplayer is still the sole reason why people buy games (with the exception of Call of Duty). The multiplayer is always the nice dessert that comes after a fine meal.

dorn.

Damn that Youtube walkthrough. I just wanted to risk a quick look but I was glued to the screen for half an hour.

So, with the game already all over the net, is there a chance shops will break the street date and sell early?

Fjordson

I just saw something in a stream that...hahaha, what the fuck. Someone in R* is a twisted son of a bitch.

Damn that Youtube walkthrough. I just wanted to risk a quick look but I was glued to the screen for half an hour.

So, with the game already all over the net, is there a chance shops will break the street date and sell early?
Already happened. There are legit copies out in the wild.

Hixx

I do not believe it, honestly. They worked for years on Max Payne 3. How in the world are they going to justify a $60 price tag when the singleplayer is only 5 hours long? We all know the singleplayer is still the sole reason why people buy games (with the exception of Call of Duty). The multiplayer is always the nice dessert that comes after a fine meal.

Someone who has played it (obviously not legitimately) on a football forum I visit says he's 5 hours in and is still on the first disc.

Sethos

Banned
Not super related but it was listed under Max Payne 3 on the Steam store;

Rockstar wants you to join the Official Rockstar Games Group on Steam!

To welcome members to the group, Rockstar is offering a free game to all eligible Steam users.

All eligible users who belong to the Official Rockstar Games Group at 10 am Pacific Time on Tuesday, May 15, 2012, will receive one non-giftable copy of Midnight Club 2 in their Steam accounts. The new game will appear in eligible users accounts by May 29, 2012.

Eligibility: User must have an account with at least one successful purchase, gift or retail registration in the account. The offer is not available to users who already own Midnight Club 2.

If someone wanted a free game.

hard to believe. i mean, the sp is on 2 discs (on 360). no way this is a 5 hour game (unless every single cutscene is a 720p video file).

There are 4 hours worth of cutscenes though.

Anybody know if at least the multiplayer will be on a single disc? I remember hearing way back that you'd somehow need both.

Or maybe you can install both ala Forza?

Disc 1 is all singleplayer, Disc 2 is half singleplayer and half multiplayer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just saw something in a stream that...hahaha, what the fuck. Someone in R* is a twisted son of a bitch.
I know you meant nothing by it but could you please not tease stuff like this before the game is out. Sometimes people who say stuff like that can inadvertently spoil some things.

Fjordson

I know you meant nothing by it but could you please not tease stuff like this before the game is out. Sometimes people who say stuff like that can inadvertently spoil some things.
I get you, my bad =[

Not watching anything else from here on out, so no more comments from me.

haikira

fixed for the euro peasants :-/

3 weeks and 5 hours.

Fixed for euro peasants, on the PC.

hKpRo.gif

Game is 10hrs - 12hrs and some have played it till 15hrs , thats what im being told by my friends.

Cant wait for 18th

If that is true that would mean a lot of hours for all of us ''replay countless of times'' gamers. I think I replayed Max Payne 2 for about six times in mere months. Not a single game could grab my attention more.

Probably make that 8 days for those of us who pre-ordered from Amazon UK and chose the free delivery option. They rarely deliver on release day for me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Max Payne 3 Xbox360 install size revealed

Rockstar's upcoming third person shooter and the third installment in the Max Payne series 'Max Payne 3' will be available on Xbox360 on two discs. The first disc contains the first half of the story mode and the multiplayer while the second disc contains the second portion of the story mode. If you are planning to get the game on Xbox360, you need to have a total of 15.1GB (the first DVD = 7.7GB and the second DVD = 7.4GB) of free space on your Xbox360's HDD.

Probably make that 8 days for those of us who pre-ordered from Amazon UK and chose the free delivery option. They rarely deliver on release day for me.

Should have used Shopto, you'd be playing it on the 17th. And you get a T-shirt instead of normal pre-order bonuses. Hell, I'm using it for the PC version even though I won't be able to play it the day I get it.

haikira

EDIT: Deleted a post, that showed I'm not clever enough to understand 21 days is three weeks. I'm going to grab a coffee I think and reflect on that.

Thank God I was smart enough to rip those YT-gameplay vids when they were still on this morning. Rockstar Ninjas are on weekend duty I'm guessing.

*grabs popcorn*

Munin

I find it hilarious how some people here are elevating the story and characterizations from MP1 and MP2 to some unreachable olymp of videogame writing.

MP1's story was an interesting novelty back when mainstream videogames barely had any "stories" to speak of, but the landscape has changed a lot since then (not least thanks to, yep, Rockstar) and today the stories of MP1 and MP2 are little more than self-amused collections of pop culture references. They wouldn't even qualify as serviceable screenplays for DTV movies, and nobody would have given a shit about the stories back then if the gameplay hadn't been so awesome.

Same thing with Poets of the Fall really - the only reason that song is remembered because nobody was putting "real band songs" into games back then. Now that everyone does it, you realize it's really not particularly amazing or anything.

Standards for "AAA" productions have crept up significantly since Max Payne 2 came out. I expect Rockstar to raise the bar in MP3 and judging from the interviews, they'll probably do so easily.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I find it hilarious how some people here are elevating the story and characterizations from MP1 and MP2 to some unreachable olymp of videogame writing.

MP1's story was an interesting novelty back when mainstream videogames barely had any "stories" to speak of, but the landscape has changed a lot since then (not least thanks to, yep, Rockstar) and today the stories of MP1 and MP2 are little more than self-amused collections of pop culture references. They wouldn't even qualify as serviceable screenplays for DTV movies, and nobody would have given a shit about the stories back then if the gameplay hadn't been so awesome.

Same thing with Poets of the Fall really - the only reason that song is remembered because nobody was putting "real band songs" into games back then. Now that everyone does it, you realize it's really not particularly amazing or anything.

Standards for "AAA" productions have crept up significantly since Max Payne 2 came out. I expect Rockstar to raise the bar in MP3 and judging from the interviews, they'll probably do so easily.

Another attempt at blanket dismissal of any concerns over Rockstar's direction without actually addressing any of them.

solarus

I'm too weak... preordered on steam. I just hope a gtx 260, q6600 and 4gb of ram can run this at least just as good as the console version (I am starting to wonder if I should have bought this on 360) that would be good enough for me.

Vire

Another attempt at blanket dismissal of any concerns over Rockstar's direction without actually addressing any of them.

He isn't wrong though. The original Max Payne games story aren't this watershed moment in criminal storytelling, it's a very basic plot that really isn't all that interesting or unique.

I have a lot more faith in Rockstar's storytelling based off of their recent games like Red Dead Redemption. Hopefully this game touches on the whole "demon in the bottle" idea.

I mean if you have concerns with the gameplay, that's another issue - but that really isn't what he's talking about.

Top Bottom