• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

I can't seem to get past
the final fight...
lol... :(

That shit was making my motherfucking blood boil. It reminded me of one from one of the Yakuza games only worse. Just keep going at it bro.
Save enough bullet time for when he shoots those nades in the air and keep killing all those fucks, taking cover and picking up pills.

MercuryLS

Banned
The only thing I wish is that R* went all out with the animations. Max should be able to shoot dodge and from a prone position crawl to cover instead of having to get up and get into cover. Also shoot dodge shouldn't stop when you accidentally hit something. If you look at the early tech vids of Eight Days, I was hoping that the movements in Max Payne would be something like that. Oh well, there's always a next-gen MP.

This video BTW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSoOZFyTmI

Derrick01

Banned
max-payne-3-perf-chart.png

Uhh someone remind me where a gtx 470 falls in there? Is it around the same as a 560ti? I can't remember. I'm expecting to get near 60 fps with no AA and maybe lowering a setting here and there slightly at 1920x1080.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That shit was making my motherfucking blood boil. It reminded me of one from one of the Yakuza games only worse. Just keep going at it bro.
Save enough bullet time for when he shoots those nades in the air and keep killing all those fucks, taking cover and picking up pills.

I'm perfectly fine until they start chucking frags at me... it's just too much and the game is a little too clunky to get out of cover and grab the pills. I'm afraid to even move anywhere, since they have me completely zero'd from every angle.

It's pretty tough. First time in the game R* crossed the frustration threshold. But I guess, under the circumstances, it's supposed to be.

Evolved1

The only thing I wish is that R* went all out with the animations. Max should be able to shoot dodge and from a prone position crawl to cover instead of having to get up and get into cover. Also shoot dodge shouldn't stop when you accidentally hit something. If you look at the early tech vids of Eight Days, I was hoping that the movements in Max Payne would be something like that. Oh well, there's always a next-gen MP.

This video BTW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSoOZFyTmI

The one thing the game is really missing... rolling. It would have been nice if holding the jump-dodge button while laying on the ground allowed Max to roll around or crawl forward. End of the day though, hard to complain about this game. Honestly, they really did go all out with the animations.

soultron

Banned
The one thing the game is really missing... rolling. It would have been nice if holding the jump-dodge button while laying on the ground allowed Max to roll around or crawl forward. End of the day though, hard to complain about this game. Honestly, they really did go all out with the animations.

Roll by double-tapping sprint (X:pS3 or A:360) I just found this out today!

You can also roll over weapons to pick them up if you press Y (when the prompt appears) when you're running.

Fjordson

After all the anger over bald Max, I feel like the single-player gets way more compelling after he ditches his hair. Who'da thunk it :lol

It's kinda unbearable for me to watch. It looks like the most plain shooter out there when they don't use bullet time. No style, just blech.

Yeah, after experiencing the game online, no bullet time shenanigans in the MLG streams is just not as fun. The worst part is that shoot dodging is actually really useful when people hit you and try to chase you around a corner only for you to POUNCE on them and put them in slo-mo.

Evolved1

You can also roll over weapons to pick them up if you press Y (when the prompt appears) when you're running.

Not the roll I'm referring to. I'm talking about rolling while prone.

soultron

Banned
Not the roll I'm referring to. I'm talking about rolling while prone.

Like a side roll while prone? I tested this out and you can totally do it (spinning your reticule around 360*) but it takes too long to execute to be a viable tactic. It looked goofy as hell when I did it though, it was really funny. :p

MMaRsu

You could roll in that HK bullettime game right? I forgot the name right now lol even tho I had it.

Ontopic, game is fucking amazing. Chapter IV was certainly the highlight so far, but the rest is great too. Game is tough as nails and I love it.

MP is also very good, joined the NGAF crew and did a few Payne Killer, Deathmatch and TDM on free aim. Won a few matches, came in third or second a bunch. This game is a BLAST :D.

Thursday morning here in Aus, hope the store at the station where i get off is selling it a day early. Then its just a day of work followed by Max Payne aaaalllll nnnniiiiggghhhttt loooonnnngggg.

Pleasepleaseplease

Evolved1

I played for about 10 straight hours (I haven't done that since I was a kid. Wow.) yesterday and I'm just starting the last chapter (14 in all) now.

MMaRsu: John Woo presents Stranglehold?

Lol... I know right. I haven't marathoned a game like I did yesterday with MP3 in as long as I can remember...

MMaRsu

I played for about 10 straight hours (I haven't done that since I was a kid. Wow.) yesterday and I'm just starting the last chapter (14 in all) now.

MMaRsu: John Woo presents Stranglehold?

Yeah that one, Im pretty sure you could roll while in bullettime on the ground, but I could be wrong.

Probably a ridiculous question: how do you stay on the ground after a shootdodge? I can't figure it out.

Dont move the stick... I always move the stick :(

Can anybody go into arcade mode, and check if my record is there for chapter 2 in the play against crew members section? Could be cool if you can see it cross platform.Arcade mode is REALLY good too.. YUM this game

Jharp

Fuck Chapter V.

Fuck you, Rockstar, and your goddamn poorly designed rail shooting sequences. That shit has no business being in a Max Payne. Holy shit. Fuck that. Goddammit.

Aside from that, still loving the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got to chapter 4. I like it a lot so far, but the effect they use in the cutscenes is pretty overkill to me.

The attention to detail with the animations is crazy good. I love how he holds the shotgun in his off hand when you use a pistol, and moves it around when he's reloading.

Fuck Chapter V.

Fuck you, Rockstar, and your goddamn poorly designed rail shooting sequences. That shit has no business being in a Max Payne. Holy shit. Fuck that. Goddammit.

What difficulty are you on? I'm playing on medium and had no problem with that, at all. Did you use bullet time?

Evolved1

You can prone roll in the ghost recon games... that's pretty much what i was referring to. It looks awesome and it would have been really useful in this game. So many times I got shot to shit getting up off the ground. Makes you a little hesitant to break out the jump dive when the penalty for a mistake is so high. Especially near the end of a long encounter. Rolling from prone into nearby cover, before getting back to your feet would have saved me so many lives.

Raptomex

Just got to chapter 4. I like it a lot so far, but the effect they use in the cutscenes is pretty overkill to me.

The attention to detail with the animations is crazy good. I love how he holds the shotgun in his off hand when you use a pistol, and moves it around when he's reloading.
He'll hold any large gun like that. If you dual weild any weapons it will cause you to drop a bigger gun (rifle, shotgun, etc.)

soultron

Banned
Fuck Chapter V.

I hate
rail shooting sequences
but the few included in MP3 aren't actually bad, which is surprising.

Evolved1: If you have bullettime, it makes risky dives that place you out in the open, in prone, a lot more manageable. Sometimes I find it a more sound decision to remain prone because you present a smaller target (at range) to certain enemies, believe it or not. I see what you're saying though. It would've been rad, yeah. The cover system could've used a corner-wrap and shootdodge-into-cover too. (Is there a way to do it in this game? I loved how it was done in Dues Ex: Human Revolution.) Still, the game is awesome as it is, in my opinion. I hope the next MP (if we get one) has these features.

And yeah, like Net_Wrecker said, use BT. If the game is starting to feel hard, it's probably because you're not using BT when you should be. Staying in cover refills BT, as does getting kills. It will make the sequence in Chapter V very, very easy.

Ridley327

What difficulty are you on? I'm playing on medium and had no problem with that, at all. Did you use bullet time?

I personally didn't have too many problems with it, but the section towards the end
when you're finally attacking the main boat directly while underneath the scaffoldings was made unfairly difficult with the speedboats that are following the main boat being obstructed by planks and bars. It's really difficult to make them out and you have to rely on the HUD to even figure out what's going on.
That has nothing on the parts where the cutscenes decide your weapon for you, but I see where he's coming from.

Jharp

Hard

I used bullet time, but it depletes super quick. Not sure if it's faster on hard or not. It regens fast in those sequences, but still. That shit should not be in a Max Payne. I know MP2 didn't have any, and I'm fairly certain MP1 didn't. They do such a fantastic job of nailing the original game's feel, so why do they constantly feel the need to pull this dull modern-shooter bullshit?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Holy shit I'm on Chapter 11 and had no idea about this. I feel like an idiot. Gamechanger.

Hard

I used bullet time, but it depletes super quick. Not sure if it's faster on hard or not. It regens fast in those sequences, but still. That shit should not be in a Max Payne. I know MP2 didn't have any, and I'm fairly certain MP1 didn't. They do such a fantastic job of nailing the original game's feel, so why do they constantly feel the need to pull this dull modern-shooter bullshit?

Well I guess hard difficulty is....hard :p Wasn't an issue on medium. I'll feel your pain on the next playthrough.

Top Bottom