• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood |OT| No purple markers

Lima

Just beat him, thanks. Terrible, terrible design.

I wouldn't call it terrible but they could have definitely made it clearer what you have to do. Some trial and error to figure it out. It's also a weird difficulty spike because the rest of the game is so super easy.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Can we please spoiler tag stuff about the end battle? The game only came out today.

This is why Dashboard visibility is so important. I hadn't heard of this game until I looked at the Xbox Marketplace for new games today.

sangreal

the videos I've seen for this game all look so choppy, makes me wonder if it has a poor frame rate

the cutscenes are choppy but the game itself is generally a smooth 60fps. there are some noticeable dips every now and then though

e: keep in mind gamedvr clips are 720/30fps

Majanew

Banned
I would think about buying it if I could get a free trial to see how the game is. MS getting rid of the trials for XBLA-style games was a dumb decision. I bought so many XBLA games on 360 thanks to the free trials.

Gowans

Yeah missing trails is stupid, I'm sure the figures will show it.

Just made it into chapter 2 and liking it more and more.

Going for every eye and collectable I see.

Here is the link to my walk through for the first chapter. It's uploading now but should be available in hour or so (depending on the youtube uploader) http://youtu.be/SneyUkxoSwg I'm exhausted and heading to bed but this is just a huge surprise that came out of nowhere for me!

freefornow

Said it before and i'll say it again. 60fps ftw. Game is gorgeous and i am enjoying the gameplay. A great addition to the launch window line up.

I would think about buying it if I could get a free trial to see how the game is. MS getting rid of the trials for XBLA-style games was a dumb decision. I bought so many XBLA games on 360 thanks to the free trials.

Heh, I have a feeling that MS was banking on Game DVR + family sharing stuff as being an alternate way of people "demoing" games.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I think I got this mixed up in my head with the other brothers game.

Looks more like a Sony type of game than MS, if my XB1 ever arrives I might check it out at that price.

I think I got this mixed up in my head with the other brothers game.

Looks more like a Sony type of game than MS, if my XB1 ever arrives I might check it out at that price.

Actually, I would say it was more of a Microsoft game. A Little by with a big head in a dangerous environment, sounds like a typical XBLA platformer. (Braid, Limbo, Brother's)

p3tran

Banned
I came to inform people that game is very very good, but I see that its already done.

great game to chill, fantastic for kids

the cutscenes are choppy but the game itself is generally a smooth 60fps. there are some noticeable dips every now and then though

Btw does this game support 3D like Trine 2? Bit disappointing a 2Dish game like this can't even stay at 60fps without dips. But I guess thats down to the XB1 hardware right? I mean if Trine 2 can do it then so should this be able to. After playing it I don't see what it's doing graphically to tax even the XB1 tbh.

Good game so far though just doesn't feel very next genish to me technically.

Lima

Btw does this game support 3D like Trine 2? Bit disappointing a 2Dish game like this can't even stay at 60fps without dips. But I guess thats down to the XB1 hardware right? I mean if Trine 2 can do it then so should this be able to. After playing it I don't see what it's doing graphically to tax even the XB1 tbh.

No it doesn't support 3D.

And I don't think you can attribute the framerate problems and cutscene stutter to the hardware.

The truth is that this is the first time Press Play is working on a game with a scale like this for both Xbox 360 and One. The game just lacks polish, either because they needed more time or maybe they are like Telltalle and lack the skills to make it any better.

I starting playing this game last night and I really like it. I hate review scores and only usually use them as a guideline - but if I had to rate this game it would be an 8.

derFeef

Trine 2 is 1080p/60fps on consoles? Did not know that.
Engine, dev, new game, port from 360 ... anyway the game is very pretty and could not look that sharp on the 360. From what I know it has increased texture res and so on - shocking I know.

Caayn

Trine 2 is 1080p/60fps on consoles? Did not know that.
Trine 2 runs on 1080p/60fps on the PS4. And according to Digital Foundry it effectively runs at 1080p/120fps in 3D mode.

That said. I'm not disappointed with the graphics of Max TCoB. Sure it could look better but looking at the circumstance you already named I can't blame Press Play. And of course we can always go nitpicking and start the pixel counting, but when you start to do that you've already lost the game(imo).

Did pretty badly at the start, died stupidly a few times but played it a bit more, such a charming game. Just starting chapter 1-5 "The Crossing" now. Looks so good, plays very well. Great game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Kotaku put up a review, the reviewer rated it a "don't buy it". His criticisms basically amounted to the game was too frustrating for him so everyone else will find it frustrating as well.

But then the frustration creeps in. There's very little by way of hints in this game and succeeding in Max's adventure is all about reading the environment and figuring out what power needs to be used where and when. That part's fun. What isn't fun is the anger that bubbles up after failing to solve the same puzzle after 30 minutes. The trajectory for the jets of H2O won't go where you want them to. Making right angles on a branch that you need to jump up on makes you crossed for having to do it too much.

I really liked the humor, friendliness and gameplay challenge in Max: the Curse of Brotherhood. But I can't recommend it in good conscience, knowing how much frustration awaits potential players who might grind their teeth as much as I did.

Can't say I agree with him. I haven't found the controls frustrating at all.

Caayn

Kotaku put up a review, the reviewer rated it a "don't buy it". His criticisms basically amounted to the game was too frustrating for him so everyone else will find it frustrating as well.

I don't know if I should find it sad or not that he couldn't solve the puzzles. They aren't that hard.

sangreal

I really don't know how you could spend 30 minutes on one of the main puzzles

I do agree that getting branches into the right shape took some figuring out though

StudioTan

To be fair I think he's saying the controls are what made it frustrating, not the difficulty of the puzzles. Again, I don't agree though.

abadguy

Banned
To be fair I think he's saying the controls are what made it frustrating, not the difficulty of the puzzles. Again, I don't agree though.

Yeah i haven't had a single problem with the controls of this game, not even the marker controls that i have heard some complain about. All of my deaths have been because of my own errors as opposed to shoddy controls.

p3tran

Banned

lol at frustrating frustration

Yuterald

Finished Crimson Dragon last night and saw that this just released and decided to download it after reading some impressions here. Wow, this game blows the shit out of the Wiiware title! Loving it so far. Some areas look incredible, way better art style than their other Max/Marker game. Game's so much fun, totally getting Heart of Darkness vibes at times. Perfect puzzle platformer from what I've played so far. Really digging my Xbox One over my PS4 right now, to be quite honest.

statham

Finished Crimson Dragon last night and saw that this just released and decided to download it after reading some impressions here. Wow, this game blows the shit out of the Wiiware title! Loving it so far. Some areas look incredible, way better art style than their other Max/Marker game. Game's so much fun, totally getting Heart of Darkness vibes at times. Perfect puzzle platformer from what I've played so far. Really digging my Xbox One over my PS4 right now, to be quite honest.
yea, I just need to go ahead and buy this.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm interested in this, but as others have mentioned - i need a trial/demo before i bite the bullet. not traditionally a fan of the puzzle platformer genre (why are there soooo many of these these days rather then just straight up platformers?)

cornerman

Actually, I would say it was more of a Microsoft game. A Little by with a big head in a dangerous environment, sounds like a typical XBLA platformer. (Braid, Limbo, Brother's)
If I recall correctly, this game was originally bring made for the ps3. But MS swooped in and bought the developer.

StudioTan

If I recall correctly, this game was originally bring made for the ps3. But MS swooped in and bought the developer.

I don't think any version would have been made if MS didn't buy them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-19-how-max-made-his-way-to-xbox-one

Then, three years ago, production on the follow up, what would become Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, began, but it wasn't until the middle of 2012 that Microsoft called yet again. This time, though, things were different. The team was well into development, but the game had not released. The levels were made, and they had names, and you could play through its entirety, but it was far from finished.

"At that point everything was up in the air. It was like, ahhhhhh! And then, all of a sudden, peace," Outzen says.

Press Play was at a crossroads. With money tight it needed a publisher to ensure Max would see the light of day. Eventually, after discussions that fell through with other parties, Microsoft stepped in. But it didn't just sign the game - it bought the studio.

"There was so much value in what we had that we would never have just thrown it out and started cleaning for a living," Outzen insists, stopping short of saying Max was in danger of falling by the wayside

Top Bottom