• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood |OT| No purple markers

Such a little great game.

For the sequel I wish Max already starts with all the 5 powers (with more powers added as progressed), and that they come up more power mixes for the puzzles. Oh, and more challenging puzzles would be sweet too!

I collected everything on my first play through, but I still have to complete the pass through XXX level without dying tasks to get 100%... Thankfully the game allows jumping straight to the level so that won't be much of a problem ^^

Derpcrawler

How far are you into it? The puzzle mechanics allow the game to be a traditional 2D platformer, so I think you really can't go in expecting that. If that is your expectation, though, I can understand your concerns.

Passed the part with spiky turtles puzzles that all work the same - lure them, lift them to trap thingy, bring them down, lure to exit. All level had like 3 or 4 of same type of puzzles. After that game crashed on me and corrupted save files. Didn't bother after.

Passed the part with spiky turtles puzzles that all work the same - lure them, lift them to trap thingy, bring them down, lure to exit. All level had like 3 or 4 of same type of puzzles. After that game crashed on me and corrupted save files. Didn't bother after.

The puzzles get better for sure. I'd keep going. And do you play BF4 as well? I swear all my games crash to the home screen once BF4 crashes. Hard reset fixes this for me.

Derpcrawler

The puzzles get better for sure. I'd keep going. And do you play BF4 as well? I swear all my games crash to the home screen once BF4 crashes. Hard reset fixes this for me.

Nah, the only "full" game I have is DR3, the rest are KI Ultra Edition, Peggle 2, Max, Kinect Sports pre-season thingy. The only game that haven't crashed at all is Peggle 2.

Nah, the only "full" game I have is DR3, the rest are KI Ultra Edition, Peggle 2, Max, Kinect Sports pre-season thingy. The only game that haven't crashed at all is Peggle 2.

If a hard reboot doesn't help, I'd contact customer service. Sounds like a faulty XB1 to me.

Derpcrawler

If a hard reboot doesn't help, I'd contact customer service. Sounds like a faulty XB1 to me.

Don't think so, happened 2 times in DR3 during 14-16 hours I played it. Happened once in Killer Instinct first time I launched it and happened that 1 time in Max. Just unlucky I guess.

That's crazy. It's a fantastic game.

Giant Bomb is weird like that. It seems all the guys there have very specific tastes in games and aren't very open to much else. The podcast is entertaining but I never trust them for actual gameplay impressions because they often go out of their way to make games looks worse than they actually are.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Finally finished this this evening. What a great game, WELL worth the price. Went back to get some of the eyes and amulet pieces I was missing. Got all the amulets but still need a few eyes. I'll probably try to 1000/1000 this one which I don't often do with games.

Just completed this game tonight (both the story and 1000GS - my first XB1 completion!). Absolutely loved it, and highly recommend it to anyone who likes platformer puzzle games.

Timu

iAfLBmLIf0xDk.png

Some of these puzzles man...

EagleEyes

Just finished this game tonight and loved every second of it. It is personally my favorite downloadable game on either of my next gen systems. Bravo Press Play. :)

Doffen

Finally took the time to beat the game this weekend. It was worth it.
I really enjoyed it and I hope that Press Play will continue the series. One of the most underrated games on the Xbox One, by far!

iAfLBmLIf0xDk.png

Some of these puzzles man...

That fucker. I died way too many times during that puzzle.

Timu

Finally took the time to beat the game this weekend. It was worth it.
I really enjoyed it and I hope that Press Play will continue the series. One of the most underrated games on the Xbox One, by far!

That fucker. I died way too many times during that puzzle.
Yep, they went too far with that one, lol.

Doffen

Really? Buy it from the Austrian store then. Or the US one.

The glory of Xbox One.
I've started buying from the Canadian store due to better valuta rate for NOK.

Oh and if you got Xbox One and don't own this game, you should be ashamed.

Bahaha this is still not available in Germany. WTF Microsoft.

It isn't out in Germany due to some ratings issue. Buy it from anyother marketplace if you want it.

The glory of Xbox One.
I've started buying from the Canadian store due to better valuta rate for NOK.

Oh and if you got Xbox One and don't own this game, you should be ashamed.

Agreed fully. Such a wonderful game.

Lima

It isn't out in Germany due to some ratings issue. Buy it from anyother marketplace if you want it.

I already did when the game launched.

This is still embarrassing. I shouldn't have to lie about the country I'm in. The game was rated in early January. Now we are in fucking March and the game is still not out. They probably need to patch in some logo or something. Just awful. I hope they don't get the idea and launch at 14,99€ when it is finally available in Germany. At least make it 9,99€ for that long wait.

abracadaver

Patch released:

Press Play said:
Max updated on Xbox One

Wednesday, March 26th, 2014

Good news, Max-players – it’s patch day!
We’ve been hard at work and have managed to pretty much squash all of the various bugs people have been reporting (knock on wood), and we’ve improved on a few gameplay mechanics as well. As always with patchnotes, there’s a load of minor changes under the hood, but the bullet points worth mentioning are as follows:

- The game is finally available in Germany and Brazil!
- Stuttering in cutscenes has been fixed.
Overall performance has been enhanced and people should experience far less framerate drops.
- The boss fight has been tweaked to be a tad easier, and various bugs in it have been fixed.
- Drawing branches has undergone an overhaul – it should now be much easier to draw the shape of branch you want.
- Erasing with the Marker has a new visual effect and you can now tap-erase if you so desire instead of dragging.
- Achievements are now registering the right way the people who have reported missing achievements should now receive their just rewards and see that their efforts have not been in vain.
- A truckload of minor graphical issues have been fixed.

Happy gaming from the Max team!

http://pressplay.dk/588/max-updated-on-xbox-one/

Downloading the patch now.

Whats weird is:
I collected all the eyes last weekend but didnt get the achievement. I had 850/1000 gamerscore. I didnt start the game yet because the patch is still downloading (2,6GB) but its now showing up as 900/1000 gamerscore. The 50GS achievement didnt pop and is now completely missing from the game in the achievements app for me. The search and destroy challenge also didnt unlock for me. I hope they both pop when I start the game in a few minutes.

Also as of right now it is still not on the german marketplace

Necro bump. Just posted in the games with gold thing but figured I'd put this here because I kind of hope the devs see it, I really like the game.

Wow, just did the first half hour of Max, top notch stuff. Trying to sell my girlfriend on having a shot later, I described it as "Imagine Limbo if it had been less mean and made by Rare." I really really like it. Cutscenes are a bit janky but the actual gameplay is gorgeous and fun and even the beginning puzzles are quite clever. It plays like a counterpart to the kind of games I loved as a kid on my master system/mega drive. Really impressed by these guys, what are they working on now?

ReidSkeeRebarn

Neo Member
I'm not really a big sidescrolling platform gamer. I mean, sure, I love the Mario series, but pretty much everyone does, anyway. Otherwise, I tend to ignore these types of games. That's probably not the wisest decision, given that there are so many platformers that I might just like...like Max. I am 100% sure that I never would have played Max were it not one of the first XBO Games With Gold titles.

After playing it, I feel so ashamed that I did not buy the game outright. It's the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time. Even when there were times where I was stumped or was struggling to complete a puzzle, I didn't find myself getting frustrated or angry. If anything, I was too immersed in the lively and colorful world to really care about being frustrated. It was also surprisingly challenging at parts, which was very welcome. I never got complacent or bored while playing.

If you're like me and tend to ignore sidescrolling platform games...please don't ignore this one. And if you have Live Gold, you have zero excuse not to at least try it once.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like to apologise for ignoring this to the point of not even bothering to download it for free until last night. Enjoying it more than Halo: Spartan Assault

golem

I'd like to apologise for ignoring this to the point of not even bothering to download it for free until last night. Enjoying it more than Halo: Spartan Assault

Definitely a better game than Spartan Assault, well worth what I paid at launch.

its ok from the couple hours I played tonight. It is great for a freebie though. It kind of just seems to be shadowed by the recent great platformers. I feel that stuff like Brothers and Limbo were so great, they have ruined platformers for me. There just really isnt anything extremely innovative here, at least from what I have seen so far.

its ok from the couple hours I played tonight. It is great for a freebie though. It kind of just seems to be shadowed by the recent great platformers. I feel that stuff like Brothers and Limbo were so great, they have ruined platformers for me. There just really isnt anything extremely innovative here, at least from what I have seen so far.

Interesting you put Brothers in there man, I wouldn't really categorise it as a platformer at all. It compared well as a puzzle game though I guess. You're right, what you've written is undeniable, there isn't anything extremely innovative. Good thing this doesn't have to be the pure barometer for whether a game is good or not. This game is simply an extremely well executed puzzle platformer with fantastic art direction and well thought out problems.

Found a cool little article on their next game, project totem:

Click

Definitely would like to support these guys properly with their next game.

Interesting you put Brothers in there man, I wouldn't really categorise it as a platformer at all. It compared well as a puzzle game though I guess. You're right, what you've written is undeniable, there isn't anything extremely innovative. Good thing this doesn't have to be the pure barometer for whether a game is good or not. This game is simply an extremely well executed puzzle platformer with fantastic art direction and well thought out problems.

Found a cool little article on their next game, project totem:

Click

Definitely would like to support these guys properly with their next game.

Project Totem is due in October. I played the build they had at PAX, it is AMAZING couch co-op fun (theres a SP mode also), and it's definitely a game you can get your girlfriend into. Although fair warning, precision and timing are big parts of the game, so it might ruin your relationship :p (only half joking... I think)

edit: Glad you all are enjoying it from the sounds of it. It's a great little game that sadly didn't get the attention it deserved. After seeing a few of you state how you love it but never would have tried it if not for it being free, this is EXACTLY why not having demos as mandatory will only hurt sales in the long run. I know devs generally don't like making demos, but I bet if most of you were able to try a level or two when it released they would have had a lot more sales. This goes for every dev, but it's especially mind boggling that MS first party studios aren't even mandating a demo for themselves. They need to lead by example..

I just finished the game. The end boss was cool :) I would like a full 3D platformer of Max in the style of Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil ok thanks Press Play.

malfcn

1000 :)

Although the challenges are kind of broken. Destroy all the eyes? Did that and got the achievement, but not the challenge.

Hubble

1000Ged up. Really a fantastic game. There is not many good platformers out, period and this one is a highlight. I am quite dumbfounded on its reviews. It's a very solid title. It made want more platformers to be out.

My only complaint is the game's enormous potential is limited by it being casual friendly but do not overstate this. The game gets more challenging as it goes on but it could've been a lot more in-depth with its introduction of various things that made it great. You can tell the developers wanted the title to be for everyone as it went on.

abracadaver

Just started playing the PC version.

Is this game locked at 30fps? It looks terrible compared to the X1 version. I want it to run just as smooth

Just started playing the PC version.

Is this game locked at 30fps? It looks terrible compared to the X1 version. I want it to run just as smooth

I wanted to buy it (seemed fun from the free Steam demo) but couldn't get the resolution to change (can't remember if there was even an option bar the default blurry low res).

Frame rate didn't seem silky either.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255390/

Currently 75% off too. Really want to play it, going to do some searching for tweaking the settings...

edit: So it seems it's a 360 port and no Xbox One. Other users are saying there is no resolution option (I couldn't get the demo to work with GeDoSaTo) and the only way around the fps is to force Vsync on.

Top Bottom