• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood |OT| No purple markers

Timu

^^ The clean IQ on those screenshots is awesome. I gathered it had a good AA solution while playing but it really shows on them shots.
I hope good AA like this becomes a standard on consoles, definitely this one because I played too many X1 games without AA.D=

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Went ahead and got this for that 3month promo thing and I'm enjoying it so far. Fun and I like the art/graphics. The voice acting is pretty good too.

Still pretty early into it but I dunno how you would rate this a 6.

ibiysbJscAP9cy.png

But man does it get hard in spots.

Best level so far for me, great design and employment of the game mechanics.

Yuterald

Finished a minute ago with everything collected. Awesome final level and old school final boss. Loved it. Only missing one Achievement now (got all the Challenge ones done too). I would like to get those No Death Ribbons on every stage, but I'm wondering if I should wait and see if they add/tie Challenges to them. Not sure if they would be retroactive. I enjoyed this so much more than their first Max game on Wii. Would love to see more 2D platformers from these guys.

ajim

Bought this game about 3 hours ago on a whim and not knowing anything about it other than the screenshots looking gorgeous on Live.

GODDAMN is this a beautiful looking game, and fun to boot. Loving the simple platforming and the drawing mechanic. Really, really charming game. Hopefully more people pick this up too.

Good on Microsoft!

Just best it, great game.

I can see why people didn't like the final boss, for me it didn't fit with the rest of the game. The actual last level though (ascending the castle) was fantastic. It put together all of the mechanics and hanging onto the edge of a cliff above a huge drop added a real sense of peril.

Highly recommended and a props to Microsoft for believing in it.

Rat Salad

Banned
Microsoft made a wise move buying up this development team. The game is much fun and loaded with charm and great visuals. Can't wait to see what theyre working on next.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They went waaaay overboard with the vibration in this game. First time I've ever turned it off completely.

I was looking to 1000/1000 this and I'm more than halfway there, but "kill the final boss without dying"? Geez I dunno anymore.

Caayn

They went waaaay overboard with the vibration in this game. First time I've ever turned it off completely.

I was looking to 1000/1000 this and I'm more than halfway there, but "kill the final boss without dying"? Geez I dunno anymore.
Once you figure out his entire pattern and timing to counter his moves he's pretty easy to do without dying. It's only a 2 minute fight.

Sub_Level

Yeah, I'll be attempting it tomorrow.

Destroyed all the eyes and collected all the artifacts. Also got the Clever Boy achievement, that one took me a while.

This game has speedrun potential. I think it can be done in under 1 hour.

Sub_Level

Just got 1000/1000 :^)

The lava level you're supposed to beat without dying glitched out on me. The lava stopped flowing upward so I got to ascend that final part in peace lol! Bit cheap on my part, but hey the game was cheap on that sliding level you're supposed to beat without dying.

sangreal

Just got 1000/1000 :^)

The lava level you're supposed to beat without dying glitched out on me. The lava stopped flowing upward so I got to ascend that final part in peace lol! Bit cheap on my part, but hey the game was cheap on that sliding level you're supposed to beat without dying.

that happened to me as well on my test run through but I had already died so I still had to go back and do it legit

sangreal

Congrats on the 1000/1000, Sub_Level!
Whoa why is that screen so dark? I remember a lot more color.

Because all the lighting in that scene is supposed to come from the lava but it stopped rising for some reason. I actually ended up killing myself because I couldn't find the ladder haha

jergrah

Finished this up tonight - really enjoyed it. Some great levels, cool bosses and a it looks pretty great. Now to go back and try to 100% the achievements

Trying to unlock the achievements for destroying all evil eyes and finding all amulet pieces but after completing the game, I went back through the levels where I missed them and got them all but no achievement unlocked. Anyone else have this issue?

gkryhewy

Just beat this yesterday. Loved it, great game, game production values. Puzzles were challenging without being impossible, and the platforming had a solid feel.

KAOS

Lovely game!!! I got some old school nostalgic flash backs of Jungle Hunt and Pit Fall Harry playing this game!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Just got to the dark level and loving this game. The level design is really really good. Another. Great addition to the X1 lineup.

Varg

Banned
Just 1000/1000 the game . Enjoyed every last minute of it. Hope they get a bigger budget next time and really wow us.

JaggedSac

Beat it a couple days ago, really fun. Might try to 100% the game. Not sure though since I have built up a fairly decent backlog on the 360.

Chitown B

Just beat it. Really good game, however sometimes it seems like it forces you to die at least once on some puzzles before you know what's going on which is frustrating. Plus sometimes you aren't able to move your guy fast enough while still pulling out the marker and then aiming it. The final boss was a whole bunch of cheap - half the time if you died you instantly died when you respawned.

314 deaths.

Definitely my favorite game off the store. Such great atmosphere.

I thought max and magic marker was OK but not great so I was hesitant to pick this up but I'm glad I did. It's a joy to play (for now, sounds like the last level is not..?).

Sub_Level

I thought max and magic marker was OK but not great so I was hesitant to pick this up but I'm glad I did. It's a joy to play (for now, sounds like the last level is not..?).

There's some slowmo parts that can be annoying if you don't know how exactly the game wants you to jump and draw vines. And the final boss has some glitch where, if you die, upon respawn you immediately die for some reason and have to respawn again. But it gives out checkpoints like candy, so no biggie.

And wow did not even know there was another game in this series.

Chitown B

also I had the game freeze on me 3-4 times and once lost a bunch of progress because of it. Once my controller turned off and the game let me know - when I turned it back on I couldn't get the game to respond again so I had to quit out.

gkryhewy

Last level is great. Last boss is frustrating, but easy once you get the pattern.

I am disappointed in the game so far. It plays clunky and feels repetitive. Oh well, at least Peggle 2 is awesome.

How far are you into it? The puzzle mechanics allow the game to be a traditional 2D platformer, so I think you really can't go in expecting that. If that is your expectation, though, I can understand your concerns.

Top Bottom