• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |BO-T| It's hard for a post to become a thread

Big One

Banned
Does Cena actually care about Nikki or is it a Total divas storyline.

They might as well let the storylines between the 2 intersect. E channel can show Kane working on his political stuff at his condo (in hell obviously) where he decides he's next step in not only stopping Bryan but who will run for the 2016 presidential election

#realityera
They've been together for a while now, so yeah prob.

Like to me Kane is just such a joke, a punch line to any wrestling fan anymore that in my head I just keep thinking "Okay now where's the real title challenger for Bryan" and it all comes back to Kane and I get sad.

They'll never bring Nikki in because they don't wanna kill Cena like they're trying to kill Bray and Bryan

He ran scared from a little kid. That's as bad or worse than THEDEMONKANE

Big One

Banned
They'll never bring Nikki in because they don't wanna kill Cena like they're trying to kill Bray and Bryan
Unless Total Divas is a work, Cena and Nikki's relationship is pretty much full of negativity and I don't think they want to bring that on the mainline show. All Cena wants nikki for is sex. He doesn't want to have a real relationship of any sort. Makes him look less All-American aka goes against his gimmick.

Vylash

He ran scared from a little kid. That's as bad or worse than THEDEMONKANE

He beat up the entire Wyatt Family before doing that though

tumblr_n5a9kbXZSB1saykaxo1_400.gif

BLISS MY HEART

Edgeward

I'm pretty sure having the Bellas and Cena all acting in one segment would cause a large, simultaneous combustion of many TVs across the world

Unless Total Divas is a work, Cena and Nikki's relationship is pretty much full of negativity and I don't think they want to bring that on the mainline show. All Cena wants nikki for is sex. He doesn't want to have a real relationship of any sort. Makes him look less All-American aka goes against his gimmick.
He bought her a house, man!

Their relationship is totally materialistic, remember the time he bought her a car to shut her up? In complete contrast you have Bryan/Brie who seem like they're legitimately in love with each other on an emotional level
John Cena the real person is even more bland than his fictional character, he's some weird robot who just likes pro wrasslin and making homophobic jokes.

Gorillaz

John Cena the real person is even more bland than his fictional character, he's some weird robot who just likes pro wrasslin and making homophobic jokes.

who doesn't have a single fitted suit

How is your company man wearing suits that are not tailored and sloppy looking

Overall, I was pretty entertained by Impact tonight. The second hour was especially good.

Time for DDP Yoga and bed. I'll probably just be thinking and dreaming of The Menagerie, though.

THE MENAGERIE DEBUT IS ON YOUTUBE, BABY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ux95IeJwkI

stro and bootaaay, you guys need to check this out and give us your thoughts.

Eh that was okay I guess, I don't know which was worse though, the completely silent, Universal Tour crowd or Taz's commentary.

Boose

Just got around to watching Nxt.

Mother of god Alexa Bliss is so hot.

Also I will never get tired of Alicia fox and her beautiful
back breaker.

Big One

Banned
And then on the flipside, you have a guy like Bryan who's been with Brie longer than Cena has been with Nikki, and as a couple appear to get along and actually be in love with each other. Seeing them on Total Divas they're actually a real cute couple even though people get confused when they're together on TV (Brie's acting is still shit though).

I'm starting to see why Cena's whole character is just kind of shifting out of the mainstream. When Cena was being pushed as the guy his whole gimmick reflected the ideal adult male at the time: Good looking, chiseled, supports the military (or is in the military), likes rap cause he's "real," etc. Cena was the image of an all-American at one point which resonated with a lot of the fans back then including the young adult audience. Then Cena started targetting himself exclusively to kids by throwing his rapper gimmick away, and his young adult fans stopped giving a shit, possibly stop watching wrestling all together for UFC instead.

So now you got this fissure in the fanbase. You have the kids, who usually force their parents to buy Cena merch which makes their parents Cena fans to support their kids. Then you have the hardcore fans that have been watching WWE for ages - or at least pretend to after reading about the last 100 years of wrestling history via wikipedia - who like Cena but feel he's being overpushed which is getting a negative reaction to the point where audiences literally hate Cena nowadays.

Then you got DB, a guy who made a name for himself on the independents with his in-ring ability and natural charisma which gave him a rather solid rub from the fanbase in his early days in WWE. Daniel fits the mold of what Cena used to be, and that's being an All-American. In Cena's era being All-Amercan was all about supporting the military, supporting the American people including it's Government. Nowadays, it's the inverse. People want war to just stop, people hate the Government and big corporations, people feel that people of higher power is holding them down.

He's a vegetarian (or used to be), shops at Whole Foods, is into nature and animals, wants to live in a small and simple home. Daniel represents what Americans desire now: Peace, Love, and Understanding. Basically because everyone in America is an anti-authority hippy after the Iraq War took it's toll on the country, and they live through DB because WWE setup angles specifically to make the audience feel like Daniel is getting cheated out of things by a higher authority, tapping into that audience that feel the Government is cheating them out on things.

DB even cut a couple of promos specifically dealing with the issue of corporations and government holding people down. It's pretty blatant, but it's why I think Daniel Bryan 'works" so well in the WWE at the moment. Slap a catchy phrase in YES!, and have some of the best in-ring ability a wrestler could possibly have, DB is just the complete package for the current era of Americans.

Tl;dr: Cena taps into the military doofus chic that was HUGE a couple of years ago, Bryan taps into the hipster chic that is HUGE now.

2nd match announced for CHIKARA's return on May 25th;

. CHIKARA Grand Championship: Eddie Kingston (c) vs Icarus
. The Batiri (Obariyon, Kodama & Kobald) vs The Odditorium (Sinn Bodhi, Oliver Grimsley & Qefka the Quiet)

Also, Dragon Gate's King of Gate 2014 tournament kicks off in a couple of hours;

Dragon Gate, "KING OF GATE", 2014.05.09
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/DragonGate $15

0. Kenichiro Arai vs. Mr. High Tension Kotoka
1. YAMATO, Kzy & Mondai Ryu vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii & Gamma
2. K-ness & Dragon Kid vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Jimmy Kagetora
3. KING OF GATE 2014 1st Round C Block: Jimmy Susumu vs. Cyber Kong
4. KING OF GATE 2014 1st Round D Block: Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin vs. Jimmy Kanda
5. KING OF GATE 2014 1st Round A Block: BxB Hulk vs. Naruki Doi
6. Masato Yoshino, Ricochet & Shingo Takagi vs. Eita, Yosuke♡Santa Maria & Flamita
7. KING OF GATE 2014 1st Round B Block: T-Hawk vs. Akira Tozawa

That main event! Also, The Monster Express vs Millenials 6-man tag should be awesome.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So about that Punk article. Wasn't the whole Summer of Punk and his irl problem with the company that he wanted to be the face of the company, that he wanted to be plastered across everything, that he wanted all the attention?

Now he doesn't. Shit tier John Cena as usual

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, it's kind of sexist that for every divas match they have Renee Young come out and do commentary.

It's both sexist that they apparently think they need a woman to do commentary for women's matches and sexist that Renee Young only ever gets to do commentary if it involves a women's match.

It's double tier sexism right there.

---
Edit: And as I post this, Renee Young turns out to remain on commentary after the women's match for the first time in months.

Damnit WWE, don't address my rants as I post them :(

So about that Punk article. Wasn't the whole Summer of Punk and his irl problem with the company that he wanted to be the face of the company, that he wanted to be plastered across everything, that he wanted all the attention?

Now he doesn't. Shit tier John Cena as usual

That article kind of pissed me off. So he doesn't want to be famous, great. Why is he still living in Chicago? Move somewhere where people won't notice you. Hang out at home and bang AJ on a giant pile of money. Having your friend write a shitty article about how you want to be left alone and how horrible you have it is not very endearing.

That article kind of pissed me off. So he doesn't want to be famous, great. Why is he still living in Chicago? Move somewhere where people won't notice you. Hang out at home and bang AJ on a giant pile of money. Having your friend write a shitty article about how you want to be left alone and how horrible you have it is not very endearing.
bruh loooooooooooooooooves Chicago, the place where he grew up and where all his friends are
You know, it's kind of sexist that for every divas match they have Renee Young come out and do commentary.

It's both sexist that they apparently think they need a woman to do commentary for women's matches and sexist that Renee Young only ever gets to do commentary if it involves a women's match.

It's double tier sexism right there.

---
Edit: And as I post this, Renee Young turns out to remain on commentary after the women's match for the first time in months.

Damnit WWE, don't address my rants as I post them :(
they brought her out for Mason Ryan matches like twice in the past few months, which you can make a xism argument for bc they trotted her out to talk about muscles or whatever. Although those 4-man booths were the most i've ever enjoyed Mason Ryan matches, so

I feel like if Alicia Fox was smarter she would have said call it "intuition" instead of "psychic". Being intuitive is a positive trait, being psychic means you think people are idiots.

Rapstah

NXT was great! Loving the new tag teams. Seems like it's out of the pit of sort of average-to-bad shows that we had after Arrival.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wrestling pet peeve time

When two guys are in a blood feud and they do the irish whip spot. The fuck dude. You're supposed to be at each other's throats, and you're gonna ease him to the ropes to bounce him off the other side? At least do the stiff throws to the turnbuckle bumps like Owen used to take

Aiii

So not worth it
Wrestling pet peeve time

When two guys are in a blood feud and they do the irish whip spot. The fuck dude. You're supposed to be at each other's throats, and you're gonna ease him to the ropes to bounce him off the other side? At least do the stiff throws to the turnbuckle bumps like Owen used to take

It's to give them extra velocity so your clothesline or dropkick has twice the impact . So why not?

Rapstah

cody-sheamusxvkmy.png

Why did the focus of this thing suddenly change from "Sheamus didn't get his ass kicked backstage" to "unless you can kick his ass [too], don't bring it up"?

Rapstah

They acknowledge the "ole" chants for Sami but is it NXT canon?

He was El Generico once (unnamed) when he won a title shot in the Bo Dallas invitational. Basic idea was Bo Dallas had forbidden Zayn from entering so two jobbers tried but were squashed. Then Zayn showed up masked and won the title shot.

You'd think he wouldn't get the title shot after he revealed he was Sami Zayn right there but I guess that's just wrestling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
cody-sheamusxvkmy.png

Why did the focus of this thing suddenly change from "Sheamus didn't get his ass kicked backstage" to "unless you can kick his ass [too], don't bring it up"?

lol mark wrestlers think they're tough guys irl now.

everybody thinks they're meng.

Aiii

So not worth it
Legends House is just bad.

I'm used to suspending disbelief from TD, but can we please not pretend like it's a big deal to take your shirt off after you've spend your entire life walking to a ring and taking your shirt off to wrestle in your underwear?

This is a lot like Summer getting called out for looking like a stripper by Natalya because she wore a skin-tight dress.

Top Bottom