• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Aiii

So not worth it
About 1 hour and 40 minutes into the Hall of Fame 2013 ceremony. It's great this year (well, I love them every year, but Mick, Trish and now Booker are killing it, love it).

Still only half-way through. Can't wait to see Backlund lose his shit.

KissVibes

Banned
I had a dream last night that I got a tattoo of Kana done in the style of a brush painting. That seems like a terrible idea but thinking about it, I kinda want to do it.

KissVibes

Banned
One drunken night later...

Haha well, I don't drink anymore (sad people shouldn't drink, you start to make plans you shouldn't) so it'll probably be moreso that I get hyped up on some bullshit and just get it done one day. I think it would be okay, if it happened. Not like anyone would know it was her unless I told them. It looked pretty nice too! Slightly below my left knee.

Aiii

So not worth it
MARIA MENOUNOS WON'T STOP TALKING!

She's just naming random facts about Backlund now, apparently he's only been to the doctor two times in the past 30 years.

Yeah, she goes on a bit, but I thought she had some great things to say about Bob. The audience were a bunch of disrespectful assholes though, really shameful.

Aiii

So not worth it
They weren't too bad really, after hearing all the reports. Just got a bit unruly towards the end, but I think that was just boredom.

Oh my. Backlund looks PISSED.

Aiii

So not worth it
Okay, and now he's losing his mind.

According to Maria Backlund has never done drugs, maybe he should start by taking some downers.

-oh wait, he's trying to start a fight with Sgt. Slaughter now lol.

Big Japan announce that Sami Callihan has signed with the WWE;

Big Japan Pro Wrestling has announced that Sami Callihan has been pulled from a tournament they are hosting later this month. The promotion noted that this was due to Callihan signing a deal with WWE.

It was reported last week that Callihan was one of several performers undergoing the WWE medical screening. While Big Japan did note that the change was made due to Callihan signing a WWE deal, Callihan and WWE have not officially confirmed the news.

Also;

Sami Zayn (El Generico) has been told to slow down and not do so many high spots. The feeling is he’s really good, very intelligent, good promos (which nobody knew about) and they like the spots he does but not to do so many in a match. Plus, there is fear that even though he's not showing the signs of it today since he’s still young, that all the bumps and crazy moves he did already could catch up to him if he doesn't tone it down, and longevity once he makes the main roster is what the company would be hoping for and is best for him financially.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think that's smart. I know the hip indie thing is to do as many crazy spots as possible for the crowd, but it's not really the smart thing to do if you want to have a long career.

I mean, just look at Edge or Mick Foley, I'm sure they don't regret taking all those insane bumps, but it sure didn't do their bodies any favors.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Christian said them doing those crazy bumps is the only reason they(and the hardyz and dudleyz) got noticed though.

Man, that first TLC was magical. It blew my fucking mind when I saw it.

I think that's smart. I know the hip indie thing is to do as many crazy spots as possible for the crowd, but it's not really the smart thing to do if you want to have a long career.

I mean, just look at Edge or Mick Foley, I'm sure they don't regret taking all those insane bumps, but it sure didn't do their bodies any favors.

True enough, it's just sad because Generico is so damned good at what he does, a lot of the moves in his war crate are some of the best versions I've ever seen - like his Blue Thunder Driver, which is just beautiful. Also, he needs to keep the Top Rope Brainbustaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!, if only so we can see Ziggler bump from it.

Striker

The blood and big bumps (Rikishi falling off, Mankind going through the table, chokeslam through cell, Shawn bloodied at Bad Blood '97) were what made Hell in a Cell matches great, too. Or at least memorable. Now you get neither of that and the matches themselves become a forced gimmick. It's shitty all around.

Aiii

So not worth it
Of course, it was great and I loved them for it.

Or Rey Mysterio, I mean, if you look at the guy now he's a wreck. He sure was entertaining though, but I bet WWE would've liked if he could still go without getting injured every time he's in the ring for more than two months.

Speaking of Rey, and always speaking of AJ, this is her favorite match of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jibrD6TRAZk

I haven't wachted that match in at least half a decade, but she named it in an interview and went back to it. WCW Mysterio was best.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, it was great and I loved them for it.

Or Rey Mysterio, I mean, if you look at the guy now he's a wreck. He sure was entertaining though, but I bet WWE would've liked if he could still go without getting injured every time he's in the ring for more than two months.

Speaking of Rey, and always speaking of AJ, this is her favorite match of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jibrD6TRAZk

I haven't wachted that match in at least half a decade, but she named it in an interview and went back to it. WCW Mysterio was best.

This is true, WCW Mysterio was great. I wanted to ask WrassleGAF a collective question but I'm tired. :(

Watching NXT, I really like Bray Wyatt - he just comes across as menacing, a real great character, which is what WWE certainly needs more of. First sighting of Sami Zayn on NXT TV, so weird seeing him cut a promo not in broken English. He debuts in-ring next week. I think they're turning Bo into a douchebag heel to feud with Neville, which is fine by me, but he comes across as so stilted and awkward in his promos. I don't much like Conor O'Brian, but he had a fun squash match with Sakamoto (who deserves better) and Briley. Sandow vs Big E was pretty good, Big E's 5 count gimmick is so over.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watching NXT, I really like Bray Wyatt - he just comes across as menacing, a real great character, which is what WWE certainly needs more of. First sighting of Sami Zayn on NXT TV, so weird seeing him cut a promo not in broken English. He debuts in-ring next week. I think they're turning Bo into a douchebag heel to feud with Neville, which is fine by me, but he comes across as so stilted and awkward in his promos. I don't much like Conor O'Brian, but he had a fun squash match with Sakamoto (who deserves better) and Briley. Sandow vs Big E was pretty good, Big E's 5 count gimmick is so over.

I like Conor a lot, thought he got a raw deal on NXT previous. Really enjoyed his look. I want to see Big E's 5 count on Raw, and I want to see if Bray Wyatt can handle WWE crowds vs NXT crowds. That's really my big concern - is if he can manage the general idiocy of a standard Raw crowd.

I want to see if Bray Wyatt can handle WWE crowds vs NXT crowds. That's really my big concern - is if he can manage the general idiocy of a standard Raw crowd.

Yeah, that's always an obstacle to overcome with WWE crowds. I seriously don't get it. I think Bray will handle it fine though - he'll probably just ramble over them in his creepy southern drawl and they'll give up with the 'what' bullshit soon enough. Perhaps the problem is in-ring promos altogether. I'd much prefer interview segments in the back to overly long, unnecessarily drawn out promos in the ring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's always an obstacle to overcome with WWE crowds. I seriously don't get it. I think Bray will handle it fine though - he'll probably just ramble over them in his creepy southern drawl and they'll give up with the 'what' bullshit soon enough. Perhaps the problem is in-ring promos altogether. I'd much prefer interview segments in the back to overly long, unnecessarily drawn out promos in the ring.

Interview segments in the back helps keep control of the audience, and anyone worth a damn with their promos can stuff the "what" shit pretty damn quick. Or be like R-Truth and get pissed. Man, I miss Crazy Heel R-Truth a LOT.

Heel R-Truth was great, such a waste.

Watching some BJW, Drake Younger & Danny Havoc had a fun scramble bunkhouse match against Ito & Tsukamoto - really liked this double-team;

izsw8u30oIvus.gif

Drake murders Tsukamoto;

iddpKOOoNsx6B.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can watch almost any spot, but ones where people land on a steel chair that is set up always, always make me cringe hardcore. There's something unnatural about it and it makes me cry inside.

WTF?

http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-soundboard-kane-makes-everything-terrifying

"CHEESECAKE...goes straight to my thighs", lol.

Also, the final card for the EVOLVE triple-shot weekend has been announced;

EVOLVE 22
Sunday, June 2nd, 2013
The Orpheum
1915 E. 7th Avenue
Ybor City, FL 33605
8pm EST. Belltime

Open The Freedom Gate Title Match
Johnny Gargano defends vs. Samuray Del Sol

Open The United Gate Title Match
The Young Bucks defend vs. EITA & Tomahawk T.T.

Heavyweight Clash
Jon Davis vs. Brian Cage

EVOLVE 16 Rematch
AR Fox vs. Lince Dorado

Newcomers Showcase Six Man Tag Match
The Bravado Brothers & Andrew Everett vs. Dos Ben Dejos & Shane Strickland

Special Challenge Match #1
Chuck Taylor vs. Caleb Konley

Special Challenge Match #2
Anthony Nese vs. Tommy Taylor

Welp, looks like that'll be the one I order - Del Sol vs Gargano, Bucks vs EITA & Tomahawk, Cage vs Davis and Nese vs Taylor all look great on paper. Should be a fun weekend of shows.

Sunflower said:
I can watch almost any spot, but ones where people land on a steel chair that is set up always, always make me cringe hardcore. There's something unnatural about it and it makes me cry inside.

Definitely, the worst ones are where they set up the chairs side-ways, or have two chairs back to back...ugh.

In case you guys missed it:

Apologies if old but NEW DDT!

DDT "MAX BUMP 2013", 2013.05.03
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,819 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

01. Yuji Hino, Daisuke Sasaki & Hoshitango vs Akito, Tetsuya Endo & Konosuke Takeshita
02. Kenny Omega & Gota Ihashi vs Danshoku Dino & Makoto Oishi
03. Takao Soma & Keisuke Ishii vs Katsuhiko Nakajima & Satoshi Kajiwara
04. Sanshiro Takagi, El Samurai, Toru Owashi & Kazuki Hirata vs MIKAMI, Michael Nakazawa, Masa Takanashi & DJ Nira
05. KUDO vs Antonio Honda
06. K-OD Openweight Tag Titles: HARASHIMA & Yasu Urano (c) vs Hikaru Sato & Yukio Sakaguchi
07. K-OD Openweight Title: Shigehiro Irie (c) vs Kota Ibushi

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2n1nd_SenorLARIATO_ddt-05-03-13-max-bump/1#video=xzwsln

Watch some DDT! 3rd best fed behind PWG and NJPW!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think we should try to make a nice WrassleGAF event. Here's what I have in mind.

Bootaaay collects 5 matches he loves, some of the wildest deathmatches, and we do an endurance viewing. See when people bow out. We watch it all live via stream on veetle or some shit - and use Nerd Chat. And we see if we can handle it.

What do you guys think? Should we give it a try?

Aiii

So not worth it
I think we should try to make a nice WrassleGAF event. Here's what I have in mind.

Bootaaay collects 5 matches he loves, some of the wildest deathmatches, and we do an endurance viewing. See when people bow out. We watch it all live via stream on veetle or some shit - and use Nerd Chat. And we see if we can handle it.

Sure, but you're gonna end up doing it at 5 AM anyways, excluding the Europeans as always!

Ithil

ibyj84ZKGp6Knm.gif

Bray is just a really fresh, fun character. He's the kind of guy that would have spooked me out as a kid.

Big Japan announce that Sami Callihan has signed with the WWE;

Also;

Probably a good thing. Generico really is spectacular, but when I see the state of Rey Mysterio who isn't even forty, I really don't want the likes of Generico or PAC to be like that in ten years. Every time I see PAC's legs bounce off the canvas for the corkscrew SSP, it's great to watch, but I really hope he has some serious knee pads on. I remember Foley talking about the reaction to his early WCW matches with his physical, hard hitting style, how they thought he was foolish to do that because he'd be crippled by his 30s. Now he's in his 40s, and, well, yeah, he IS crippled.

In any case, the "less is more" WWE approach is good and bad. Bad for short TV matches, where they stink, but great for PPV and main event RAW matches, where something like a normal piledriver by Punk to Cena illicits a great reaction from us. I appreciate those 20 minute technical masterworks you occasionally see from Bryan more because they're occasional.

Still.....Generico's moveset better at least get 90% of it on WWE TV at some point

it3hAyDsPJxq7.gif

Lol, I'd be up for this - I've already got a good idea of which matches to pick. I'd start with some recent BJW, then move onto a CZW classic, then maybe some classic BJW, a Funk/Onita deal from early FMW and top it off with some truly horrid US deathmatch sleaze.

Sure, but you're gonna end up doing it at 5 AM anyways, excluding the Europeans as always!

Perhaps we could do it before RAW one week?

Ithil said:

Such a convoluted set-up, but still so awesome - I liked that Generico busted out that move so infrequently. Hopefully it'll be like that with his WWE work, where he has his signature spots as well as a bunch of moves he can pull out of the war crate on a rare occasion - like Bryan hitting the Chaos Theory on Ziggler that one time, or when he used the Lady of the Lake on Tyson Kidd.

Ithil

Watching NXT, and seeing El Generico doing a promo for the first time as basically Rami Sebei, is incredibly odd. Luckily, he seems really good at talking.

I think Generico is Daniel Bryan levels of a total package (from ability, charisma, likability, etc), I hope they recognise that. It's sure taken them a long time to recognise it in Bryan, and even now they don't fully appreciate what a talent they have.

Ah, Yuji Nagata's injured and will be out for the foreseeable future :(

He apparently tore his left pectoral muscle in the dark match at Wrestling Dontaku but continued to work with the injury right up to Kobashi's retirement show, but he's aggravated the tear and will now need surgery. Real shame, I was hoping for Nagata vs Ishii at DOMINION on June 22nd.

Also, the dates for the 23rd G1 Climax Tournament were announced;

8/1-Act City Hamamatsu
8/2-Korakuen
8/3-Aichi Prefectural Gym
8/4-BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM
8/6-Ishikawa Industrial Exhibition Hall 3
8/7-Sendai Sun Plaza
8/8-Yokohama Cultural Gym
8/10-Ryogoku
8/11-Ryogoku

Only one date in Korakuen, but the final two are in Sumo Hall again! Awesome. The finals will almost certainly be a PPV.

tm24

G1 should have El Terrible as the CMLL rep. So that's one entrant down

Also, i kept staring at that gift wondering why Drake Younger was in it

Top Bottom