• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Kaladin

Anya, the Russian kickboxer who was like 6'2 is gone too, she never debuted on NXT so I don't know how she was. Perhaps she never took to the wrestling training.

They used her in the diva tag match on the house show I went to as a run-in. Her size got a surprise pop out of everyone, but like a lot of bigger wrestlers she seemed stiff.

Jamie OD

The victims of the NXT massacre so far today are Derrick Bateman, Sakamoto, Audrey Marie, Briley Pierce, Brandon Traven, Percy Watson and Anya (sail away, sail away, sail away).

Aiii

So not worth it
It must be like two years ago since the last mass firing of jobbers. Feels weird, like running into an old ex who you broke up with via text message.

NXT on television wasn't "being given a shot?"

If you want to argue their NXT appearances were legitimate shots (seriously?) then please explain how they blew them given for me Percy and Bateman were standouts on their respective seasons where as people who performed worse in those seasons have been given shots on the main shows. On top of that Audrey Marie never appeared on television and Sakamoto certainly wasn't a chance in a wrestling role.

tm24

Don't mind me, just ranting about PWG...

My ASW9 DVDs finally arrived and this time they got flagged by UK customs (fuck you, customs & excise! Cunts).

With the customs charge & shipping, I paid a total of £41.60/$63.42 for my order and had to wait 15 days for the DVDs to arrive (12 days from the US, 3 days stuck in customs). Meanwhile, multiple rips of ASW9 appeared on every wrestling torrent/filesharing site 3 days after PWG shipped the DVDs on May 2nd.

I know PWG have zero control over what packages the shitty UK customs flag for additional charges (although, marking the package as 'gift' rather than 'optical media' would be a great help), but this and the rampant piracy of PWG shows only further illustrates why it's so fucking ABSURD that .mp4 downloads or even video on demand versions of PWG shows aren't available until months and months after the DVDs have released.

Releasing .mp4 downloads on the same day as the DVDs are released couldn't possibly increase the rate of piracy higher than it already is and those fuckers that download the pirated rips aren't the ones buying shows anyway. Might as well just release .mp4 downloads in a timely fashion and cash in on international customers wanting to avoid shipping & potential customs charges, as well as the goodwill of those who favour digital media over physical releases.

In closing, I'd just like to add that SMV offer DRM-free .mp4 downloads of pretty much every new show they carry and I know for a FACT that I wouldn't have purchased quite so many shows from companies like AIW, AAW, CHIKARA, Wresting Is, BattleWar, wXw, ACW & C*4 if it wasn't for the fact that I could download them as .mp4's on the day of release
I've asked about this before, and it's 100% Highspots fault. Their policy is to have a one show buffer between physical and digital releases.

Cagey

Banned
Latest from The Masked Man, appropriately titled...

The (WWE) Hangover
It's been six weeks since WrestleMania and I don't remember a thing
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9284671/masked-man-post-wrestlemania-wwe-hangover

If you spaced out reading that last paragraph, imagine how the average WWE viewer felt. I had dozed off briefly before the show and when I woke up to this, I thought I was still dreaming. I rubbed my eyes and checked Twitter to make sure I was seeing what everybody else was seeing. This was the last episode of Raw before the Extreme Rules pay-per-view — this was the go-home show — and they were leading off with a dance-off? How the hell did we get here?

If you want to argue their NXT appearances were legitimate shots (seriously?) then please explain how they blew them given for me Percy and Bateman were standouts on their respective seasons where as people who performed worse in those seasons have been given shots on the main shows. On top of that Audrey Marie never appeared on television and Sakamoto certainly wasn't a chance in a wrestling role.

Riley was better than both of them, although that's not saying much NOW. McGillicutty was a pantload, I'll give you that. Percy and Bateman did absolutely nothing for me. All Percy had was a stinkface and "OH YEAH." Bateman was just a pandering try-hard from the few things people showed me. "Lucky Cannon" was even worse.

I've asked about this before, and it's 100% Highspots fault. Their policy is to have a one show buffer between physical and digital releases.

That's a really shitty policy, surely Highspots have to realise how pirated their PWG releases are already? Honestly, between this and the customs charge (Highspots are apparently the only major indy DVD stockist who will flat-out refuse to mark your order as a 'gift'), I may have to order less PWG DVDs.

That's a really shitty policy, surely Highspots have to realise how pirated their PWG releases are already? Honestly, between this and the customs charge (Highspots are apparently the only major indy DVD stockist who will flat-out refuse to mark your order as a 'gift'), I may have to order less PWG DVDs.

I'd be willing to ship them here and then ship them out to you if need be.

Riley was better than both of them, although that's not saying much NOW.

I never got the love for Riley, he was a second class Miz and that's saying a whole lot. He was then given a chance on TV where he continued to be a second class Miz before being a terrible face and picking up a DUI. He was given a more than fair shot and blew it.

McGillicutty was a pantload, I'll give you that.

McGillicutty and Husky both sucked on WWE TV but they were given a chance none the less. Titus was much worse on NXT than Percy but he was still given a TV shot.

All Percy had was a stinkface and "OH YEAH."

Which combined with his glasses was solid gold next to the shit show that was NXT season 2 (outside of Kaval). It might have not been much but at least he was a likeable face yet he never got a chance to develop further.

Bateman was just a pandering try-hard from the few things people showed me.

I never got that from the many things I was of Bateman, he was genuinely charismatic funny guy.

Anyway you're free to have your own opinions on what you like or didn't like, I just said they weren't given a chance especially next to what other NXT guys were given and I don't see how you've argued against that at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bit surprised that Sunny hasn't made an OT post about the mass firing yet.

Hardy har. Legit shook is mainstream now, I only use it outside of the wrestling thread from now on as it will be part of gaf's lexicon.

Zema Ion had a tumor in his colon. Hope the guy doesn't have cancer.

Yikes.

ALSO FYI Percy had the Finger Rain, you can NOT fuck with that.

Anyway you're free to have your own opinions on what you like or didn't like, I just said they weren't given a chance especially next to what other NXT guys were given and I don't see how you've argued against that at all.

NXT WAS their chance. They all got mainstream TV exposure, and most of them blew it because they weren't very good. McGillicutty probably lasted as long as he did because of his father's legacy, and Riley had the look but nothing else.

strobogo

Banned
My name is Stro and I'm here to say
I've got a grudge against the AWA.
Powerbombin' fools just like Sid Vicious
All just to say FUCK WRESTLICIOUS.

And wrestling in general. Fuck all of you. Ya mama smells like split pea soup. Fuck it, I'm out.

19e6p.gif

Road Agent notes:

- The previous segment went on way too long.
- strobogo is not creative enough to cut a promo without a script
- strobogo has lost heat in this segment
- The crowd does not buy "anti-wrassle-gaf" as a gimmick for strobogo

Kaladin

My name is Stro and I'm here to say
I've got a grudge against the AWA.
Powerbombin' fools just like Sid Vicious
All just to say FUCK WRESTLICIOUS.

And wrestling in general. Fuck all of you. Ya mama smells like split pea soup. Fuck it, I'm out.

http://i.imgflip.com/19e6p.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

You're not getting ice cream bars.

NXT WAS their chance. They all got mainstream TV exposure, and most of them blew it because they weren't very good. McGillicutty probably lasted as long as he did because of his father's legacy, and Riley had the look but nothing else.

I've addressed you repeating NXT was their chance already. Other people who were also on NXT and did worse got repeated chances, the vast majority of them at least got a shot at working on one of the main show, and most of those people are still employed. It's not a chance if you do well compared to everyone else yet everyone else gets called up to the main roster (for an actual chance) and you don't hence these firing really suck as somebody who liked what he saw of their work. This goes 10 fold for Audrey Marie and Sakamoto who didn't even get a shot out of FCW/New NXT.

Striker

Thought Audrey Marie was the hottest girl they've had. Too bad. Not like they use the talents of the actual girl's ability anyway, and with it PG there's no segment to fill up ratings for a bikini contest or girl vs girl brawl while they rip off each other's clothes. Just decoration or filler for a 90 second match.

Yep. Like I said in a previous post, Kobashi's career was really the first career of a big-time Japanese star that I got to follow from start to finish, because he started getting on TV just a few months after I started getting my monthly tapes from Japan.

The booking was simply perfect, the way they brought him along. The "slow boil" as you accurately describe was perfectly executed, as the fans (me included at the time) always wanted to see more of him, then we quickly (desperately) wanted to see him win, then when he finally did that, we wanted to see him go farther and get more opportunities...and after going through all that with "our" guy, we really wanted to see him win the big one--the whole experience such a stark contrast to the WWE with guys like Cena and now Sheamus who leave large numbers of fans feeling like "wow, they are really shoving this down our throats."

Really, it all comes down to an old philosophy that Baba really understood: the face is always better in the chase.

The longer you can keep a guy in the position where he looks like he's chasing that dream, the more if a face he'll be. And he understood that it's much harder to elevate a face further after he's gotten the gold than it is to build him up while he's still chasing.

Baba knew this, and for Kobashi, he did it just about as well as it can be done IMO. Certainly the best I've ever seen.

And Kobashi himself was really quite the total package for them to sell. Most guys could never have done such an excruciating program, with all the losses, but Kobashi was not just anybody.

Good looking, in great shape, strong, tough, instantly-likeable, yet with this edge about him where he seemed like he could take care of himself if the shit hit the fan, Kobashi never came off weak, even in loss after loss, the heels better watch out how far they push him. It was a bit like you could see the spirit of that "mean old man" style that you see in guys like Jumbo or Baba or Tenryu, deep down inside, and you couldn't wait to see it fully unleashed, because you knew that if it ever did, and all that fighting spirit poured out, he'd FINALLY win one for sure.

Awesome. You'd really love Meltzer's article, especially the couple of stories he brings up. Like how he first met Kobashi when he was having dinner with Terry Funk in Japan. Kobashi was still training at the time, so he'd basically be Funk's assistant while he was on tour (translating, etc.) and in exchange, Funk would help train him. So anyway, Funk told Meltzer to remember Kobashi's name because he was going to be good and Kobashi, understanding enough of it to realise it was a huge compliment, flashed a huge grin.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
This just in: SoulPlaya plans to take up residence in a heretofore unnamed southern US state.
I actually disagree with GGG's politics on a philosophical standpoint, but from what I've read of his theories, he has a genuine concern for people, and he would stand against corruption.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I actually disagree with GGG's politics on a philosophical standpoint, but from what I've read of his theories, he has a genuine concern for people, and he would stand against corruption.

my god

l...le....legi....no! I won't say it!

So on a scale of legit shook, in wrestling terms, how legit shook are Nintendo fans now?

BKfhR6wCcAAPq2j.jpg

I'm thinking they've now reached the "Vince McMahon sitting next to Big Dave Meltzer on the set of 'Donahue' level" of legit shook.

Top Bottom