• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Does anyone recall a WWE Raw or Smackdown where a match didn't work out well live, and they just redid the match and inserted the second attempt into the later airings?

I know it happened at least a few times, at least once with Sin Cara Versión Uno, but even that I find hard to find info on.

Pretty sure I remember that being a sin cara match on smackdown in 2011 or something

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WCW Saturday Night by 1997 is depressing. Everything is diva length clips of matches.

You got Vicious & Delicious vs Steinrs and you're only showing 2 minutes of it? Come on.

But at the same time it's amazing. WCW literally had over 200 male wrestlers at that point. You could literally see almost anyone alive from the 80's wrestling scene on any given show in a terrible three minute match.

KissVibes

Banned
I believe it was last month or so when he said Vince is now doing everything dumber than dog with a lobotomy.

He is giving Roman Reigns matches almost perfect scores. Yeah, they aren't abysmal or anything but to say the Big Show vs Reigns match was a near classic is more than a little suspect.

Sephzilla

Regarding #AllTitlesMatter

The World Heavyweight Championship was fucking worthless unless Cena was carrying it. Rename it the Light Heavyweight Championship and it'd value doesn't change a bit. It was a title introduced to satisfy Hunters ego and then became a belt that was carried around by people who were not good enough for the real #1 title, with the exception of Cena's occasional reigns to make people give any shits about it.

I stand by my opinion that the WHC was more important as a title in 2011 when Henry and Bryan we're going after it on Smackdown than the wwe title which was just a prop in the cm punk storyline.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Meh

The WHC felt like the #1 title to me up until Batista won it and got moved to Smackdown. HHH, Goldberg, Chris Kanyon and Batista were a hell of lot more credible than JBL and Smackdown was the clear B show. Even as late as 2011 you had Henry's Hall of Pain run which was solid gold. Mark pinning Orton clean for the title was the 2nd best moment of 2011 after Punk's MITB win.

Carnby

The network is free next month. Again?! Come on, why the hell am I paying for this when they keep giving it away?

Sephzilla

The network is free next month. Again?! Come on, why the hell am I paying for this when they keep giving it away?

I'm really interested in knowing how many people cancelled subs after WrestleMania. I hope recycling matches for 3 fucking months like they always do post-Mania finally bit them a little.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WHC wasn't the jobber belt really until the brand split was over. Then it did lose a little something, though there were still great feuds for it.

I signed up again for the free network in April and they went ahead and gave me May for free. Nice. Not that I really ever watch it.

jred2k

When the brand split ended it basically became Intercontinental Title 2

You're giving the IC belt too much credit. The WHC at least got video packages and the holder didn't lose all their non-title matches. It actually felt like a belt people still wanted.

KissVibes

Banned
Regarding #AllTitlesMatter

The World Heavyweight Championship was fucking worthless unless Cena was carrying it. Rename it the Light Heavyweight Championship and it'd value doesn't change a bit. It was a title introduced to satisfy Hunters ego and then became a belt that was carried around by people who were not good enough for the real #1 title, with the exception of Cena's occasional reigns to make people give any shits about it.

Christian, Mark Henry, and ADR are three modern examples of dudes that were good enough to be #1.

RBH

pc5CxwY.png

https://twitter.com/wwedustyrhodes/status/593854419604774912

KissVibes

Banned
From what I can gather, someone said the Sasha Banks vs Charlotte match was just okay and Dusty thinks they're fucking stupid.

VoxPop

Been playing monthly for the Network since its inception and watch nothing but 'The Monday Night Wars' series on repeat and the occasional old WCW PPV just cause I've never really watched them. Watched that Austin/McMahon podcast and that was pretty good. Anything I should be looking out for? I have no interest in anything recent like NXT or anything post 2001. Pretty excited for the Kliq docu or is that a only for DVD/Bluray?

Kofi is the wrestling equivalent to paint drying. He ain't even a person of note in New Day. He is a third wheel. Kofi holding the modern day IC title is even a stretch. His IC title win on my birthday haunts me to this very day.

You should be happy a wrestler got you something for your birthday! Did you send him a tweet thanking him?

VoxPop

Kofi is the wrestling equivalent to paint drying. He ain't even a person of note in New Day. He is a third wheel. Kofi holding the modern day IC title is even a stretch. His IC title win on my birthday haunts me to this very day.

The modern day Shelton Benjamin, only worse. Only good for spot fests during ladder matches and Royal Rumbles. And even for that, he's used up all his cards. Only wrestlers worse imo is R-Truth and Alex Riley.

You must not watch Lucha Underground to rank Morrison so low.

Not at all. I watch Lucha Underground religiously. I gathered it was a question of WWE/WCW workers as they existed in those promotions, and Lucha Underground, ROH, AAA, and indies were not considered, since:

A) He's Mundo not Morrison in Lucha Underground

B) Ricochet/Prince Puma isn't listed, (and he'd easily be the #1 on that list if he was.)

C) If we were counting the guys' work outside those promotions, Spanky would be at least #2, because of his work in Japan.

If I was listing fliers from any and all promotions, Morrison/Mundo would still be pretty far down the list. Hell, Morrison wouldn't even make a top 5 Lucha Underground fliers list, IMO. (He's behind Puma, King Cuerno, Drago, Angelico and Fenix as an overall worker, I think.) His punches are abysmal as is his selling most of the time, and his psychology still isn't very good, though Lucha hides it better. His character work is pretty cheesy, and not in a good Lucha Underground cheesy way either. And the End of the World is still a dumbass finisher.

Recall

Not at all. I watch Lucha Underground religiously. I gathered it was a question of WWE/WCW workers, and Lucha Underground, ROH, AAA, and indies were not considered, since:

A) He's Mundo not Morrison in Lucha Underground

B) Ricochet/Prince Puma isn't listed, (and he'd easily be the #1 on that list if he was.)

If I was listing fliers from any and all promotions, Morrison/Mundo would still be pretty far down the list. Hell, Morrison wouldn't even make a top 5 Lucha Underground fliers list, IMO. (He's behind Puma, King Cuerno, Drago, Angelico and Fenix as an overall worker, I think.) His punches are abysmal as is his selling most of the time, and his psychology still isn't very good, though Lucha hides it better. His character work is pretty cheesy, and not in a good Lucha Underground cheesy way either. And the End of the World is still a dumbass finisher.

He was a part of a cage match that was a 1000 times better than anything any other promotion has recently tried. Mondo has skills.

He was a part of a cage match that was a 1000 times better than anything any other promotion has recently tried. Mondo has skills.

I'm not saying he doesn't have skills. He's just not as good as any of those other guys. His weaknesses that I listed are very apparent. And he's not as smooth as any of those other guys either.

But if you are just considering "John Morisson" the WWE act, as I did in the original question, I think my placement is exactly where he belongs. Which is not very high. And if Rey was on that list, which he should have been, even lower.

Jamie OD

Been playing monthly for the Network since its inception and watch nothing but 'The Monday Night Wars' series on repeat and the occasional old WCW PPV just cause I've never really watched them. Watched that Austin/McMahon podcast and that was pretty good. Anything I should be looking out for? I have no interest in anything recent like NXT or anything post 2001. Pretty excited for the Kliq docu or is that a only for DVD/Bluray?

The Rivalries show is alright. Flair Vs Dusty episode is great and I wish the show would feature more stuff from that era. But it has episodes on Hogan Vs Piper, HHH VS HBK and Hardys Vs Edge & Christian.

Top Bottom