• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT2| Where the Big Boys Play

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
when was the last time mitb meaningfully elevated someone?

ziggler had the night after mania god pop, then nothing. Does bryan's WHC count?

if barett wins mitb I can see him cashing in and jobbing to an injured cena on raw at some point later this year

It elevated Cena. He was having a bad year, remember? After beating Lesnar and Big Show, he was still distraught about the Rock. Winning MitB reminded him he could still do it.

I don't think Bryan's actually going to vacate but it also wouldn't surprise me if he did. Reigns' first title win isn't happening from MITB, but I could see literally anyone else they throw in that match getting the briefcase.

Strip Bryan and make him a surprise entrant in the MITB match for the title

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
MITB winner has never been booked strong. The whole point of it is basically 'you got lucky.'

The only time it ever worked was the first time.

Bloodwake

The WWE's hottest feud is ending at Payback. No title over the summer is going to kill interest.

Bryan is going to have to drop the title. Plus it would make no sense if the Authority who wants Bryan to drop the title doesn't strip him now that they have a legit reason.

G-Fex

I support a Cena run as champ. The belt and him go together like red on eva marie.

The belt needs to come hom. It never belonged to..that other guy.

He doesn't have to drop if he's back for Money in the Bank. Which, ready or not, I have a feeling he will be. Besides, interest is already gone.

The WWE's hottest feud is ending at Payback. No title over the summer is going to kill interest.

Bryan is going to have to drop the title. Plus it would make no sense if the Authority who wants Bryan to drop the title doesn't strip him now that they have a legit reason.

They already explained this. They don't want to strip him because then he'd have an excuse to whine and cry and ask for a rematch. If he vacates it himself, he put himself "out of the picture."

strobogo

Banned
Watching clash of the Champions and they announce a match where three cages are stacked on top of each other. Have they really done that? The tower of doom?

As mentioned before, WCCW did it first. Then NWA did it with some really stupid ass rules. WCW proper used a modified version in 1996 so Hogan/Savage could go over the Four Horsemen, Dungeon of Doom, Zeus, and the dude who played Bane in Batman and Robin. 2 on 8. The Mega Maniacs won pretty easily with a little bit of help from Brutus Beefcake. The rules were basically the same, but the structure and sizes of the cages were different. They then brought back the original structure in 2000 for DDP vs Jeff Jarrett vs David Arquette. The rules changed to the winner being the first one to get to the top cage and grab the belt, which makes a lot more sense than than the stupid bullshit timed escape/key holder garbage.

It came back one more time for a War Games that technically had teams, but was for the WCW Championship and whoever walked out with the title would be the new champion. All of them sucked.

Garbage. All of them. Everything is garbage. You're garbage. Bean is garbage. GARBAGE BARRAGE.

ibr2aTfWNC9VXJ.gif

As mentioned before, WCCW did it first. Then NWA did it with some really stupid ass rules. WCW proper used a modified version in 1996 so Hogan/Savage could go over the Four Horsemen, Dungeon of Doom, Zeus, and the dude who played Bane in Batman and Robin. 2 on 8. The Mega Maniacs won pretty easily with a little bit of help from Brutus Beefcake. The rules were basically the same, but the structure and sizes of the cages were different. They then brought back the original structure in 2000 for DDP vs Jeff Jarrett vs David Arquette. The rules changed to the winner being the first one to get to the top cage and grab the belt, which makes a lot more sense than than the stupid bullshit timed escape/key holder garbage.

It came back one more time for a War Games that technically had teams, but was for the WCW Championship and whoever walked out with the title would be the new champion. All of them sucked.

They should do it Saw style where the title is locked in a briefcase inside the top cage, hanging, and 1 participant has the key BUT NOBODY KNOWS WHO. So everybody is suspicious of the next guy but they're all trying to get to the briefcase assuming the other guy has the key to the title. You get some comedy strip downs, the guy who reaches in another's trunks but SURPRISE that's not a key, and other WWE hilarity. Inevitably there's a handful of guys standing around the briefcase looking around at each other until someone makes a move.

This is a terrible idea.

That description should be TNA's final match. Just as a final "fuck it"

They'd have a twist and none of the wrestlers would actually have the key but Dixie has it all along. She's on stage declaring this is the "key" to TNA's real future. She shows up on Double J's Promotion and opens the briefcase revealing the brand new Global Force Wrestling championship, the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Also, she's his partner and is indestructible and everything is bad.

This is a terrible idea.

Sblargh

Banned
Gimme a legit fave five shity gimmick matches.

Gimmick matches that are horrible ideas, but that have, somehow, managed to produce entertaining bouts.

strobogo

Banned
1. King of the Mountain is definitely the worst idea for a gimmick match that actually had a few that weren't bad. I don't think anything can compare to it.

It might as well be 2-5 as well.

The competitors in the match start out as "ineligible" to win. In order to become "eligible", a wrestler must score a pinfall or submission on an opponent. The opponent who submits or is pinned is forced to spend two minutes in the "penalty box" cage. More than one wrestler can be in the cage. This often results in wrestlers fighting inside the cage or forming some sort of alliance.

Once "eligible", the wrestler may win the match by retrieving the belt and hanging it on the hook suspended above the ring with the aid of the ladders. A TNA official maintains possession of the belt and circles the ring, staying out of the action as much as possible. When a wrestler wishes to hang the belt, he must retrieve it from the official. Once the belt is in play, any other wrestler who is eligible may attempt to steal the belt and hang it. Once the belt has been dropped and no wrestler is attempting to hang it, a referee returns the belt to the official.

The matchup is similar to the more common ladder match, which has the belt suspended above the ring and the winner is the one who retrieves it with the use of a ladder. The King of the Mountain match is considered backwards in nature to the ladder match, as the competitors attempt to hang the belt instead of retrieving it.

...This sounds so stupid

Man God

Non-Canon Member
5. Feast or Fired. The matches always suck. The results are always funny though.
4. Triple Cage. Stro is just angry he can't drink, the concept shouldn't work but gosh is it entertaining.
3. Buried Alive. These matches historically suck but there's something about them.
2. Blindfold match. I don't know why but I love these.
1. 24/7 falls count anywhere. More of a concept than an actual match but I miss these so. Sure they get stale after three straight years of them but running with this for half a year or so is gold.

strobogo

Banned
Triple cage matches are NOT entertaining at all. The NWA one was hot garbage, and the WCW proper ones were just as bad if not worse. They aren't even fun in a "holy shit this is hilariously terrible" kind of way. They're just bad. There can not possibly be an ironic enjoyment of the 4 triple cage matches WCW had.

Browny

Banned
The only highlight of the modern triple cage matches would be Awesome going long with Kanyon - as a stunt, on a par with Foley at KotR.

Kornflayx

From the Observer sunday update:

--TNA is doing a poll regarding returning to the six-sided ring.

I really don't know what to say to that. The ring is the least of their worries

Oh, fuck yes;

08im14N.jpg

Also, here's the current card for New Japan DOMINION;

. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Bad Luck Fale
. IWGP Heayweight Tag Titles: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Togi Makabe
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi (c) vs Winner of Best of the Super Jr's
. NWA World Tag Titles: Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.
. Special Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs AJ Styles & Yujiro Takahashi

Was hoping for another NEVER title defence, but that tag match works as well. Fale in the main event though...

I'm just bitter about no Hayato.

I'm presuming they'd prefer to deal with gaijin talent the mainstream New Japan audience are familiar with, rather than indie guys that would mostly appeal to the hardcore crowd. Hayato would have been awesome though, would've loved to see him vs Ricochet.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Gimme a legit fave five shity gimmick matches.

Gimmick matches that are horrible ideas, but that have, somehow, managed to produce entertaining bouts.

1. Coal Miner's Glove match. It's just the stupidist idea, that somehow a coal miner's glove will help in a fight in any way, and yet maanged to give some great matches over in Pacific Northwest Wrestling with Dutch Savage and Mid-South with several guys.
Dibiase vs. Jim Duggan has the best of it all being a Tuxedo Match with a Coal Miner's Glove on a pole, and the loser leaves town. It's on the Best of Mid-South DVD.

2. Musical Chairs. Okay as far as I know there has only been one and it was on Raw created by Eugene, but I loved it thanks to the cast of characters. I bet it could still work today in DDT (the last chair would somehow win the match), or WWE to further insult Miz and Dolph and Ryder to cement them as the new Job Squad if that angle ever takes off.

3. Swamping Gimmick matches. Rarely happens but two competitors are forced to dress like the other, use the move set/war chest of the other, and will be disqualified if they act like themselves too many times in a match. Hawai'i Wrestling in the 70s did it a couple of times, Osaka Pro might have done it but I can't recall, and I'm not sure who else might have. It's hilarious when done right and I could see either Chikara or Championship Wrestling From Hollywood doing well with it.

4. Buried Alive. You win by throwing someone into a hole and then throw dirt on them. Just ridiculous, and yet we have a few classics across the world on this match type.

5. WEE-LC. Not because they used Minis to wrestle, I honestly believe Mascarita Dorada to be one of the best wrestlers to come out of Mexico and love the AAA and CMLL Mini-Estrella divisions, but this was a WWE match involving mminis so how the hell could it possibly be good?
Yet somehow, despite Vince style humour of mini-parodies everywhere, it was a straight up match where 3MB played no more the bigger fools than they usually did and it was the best "extreme" match of the night.

Honorary Mention. Silent Match, where the first wrestler that makes a loud noises will lose the match. So no talking, no screaming, no saying "I Quit", no tapping, etc.

Honorary Mention. Silent Match, where the first wrestler that makes a loud noises will lose the match. So no talking, no screaming, no saying "I Quit", no tapping, etc.

This was fantastic, such a clever idea for a match - I'd also suggest the 'Bread Eating Deathmatch' from Union Pro. It probably worked only because it was Ken Ohka & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi, but I loved the match concept regardless - so ridiculous.

For those who haven't seen it, there are a variety of bread products hanging from above the ring at mouth height - the wrestlers have to eat all the bread before they can attempt to win the match, but they can't use their hands to grab the bread.

Really looking forward to the show now. Although I'm kind of fearing there will be some sort of last minute cancellation for one of the big names appearing, maybe Steen since he and his wife just had another child.

It'd be understandable, but I hope not - I'm very interested in seeing how Marty vs Steen turns out. The show is kinda ridiculously stacked;

. RPW Heavyweight Title: Marty Scurll (c) vs Kevin Steen
. International Dream Match #1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Zack Sabre Jr.
. International Dream Match #2: Prince Devitt vs Adam Cole

Plus, Karl Anderson wrestling, The Kartel defending their tag titles (I'd guess against the Swords of Essex) and Josh Bodom defending his cruiserweight belt (vs Mark Andrews, maybe?). Should be a lot of fun.

Striker

They seem to edit in what they favor to hear. Like people chanting "You tapped out!" to Hunter after the Lesnar-Extreme Rules bout last year, and in the following Raw. Or in his desperate for sympy angle when his feud with Undertaker ended.

As for gimmick matches, never really liked Inferno or Casket matches either. I think most Taker-themed gimmick matches at mostly sucked. I guess they did sort of create the Hell in a Cell for him, because it was suppose to keep Shawn Michaels inside and Triple H and Chyna outside. That's been great (until they've watered it down), but others have been poor. Blindfold matches can be fun given the right workers, i.e. Jake Roberts and Rick Martel did it brilliantly.

It'd be understandable, but I hope not - I'm very interested in seeing how Marty vs Steen turns out. The show is kinda ridiculously stacked;

Plus, Karl Anderson wrestling, The Kartel defending their tag titles (I'd guess against the Swords of Essex) and Josh Bodom defending his cruiserweight belt (vs Mark Andrews, maybe?). Should be a lot of fun.

Can't wait, it should be great.

Also, at the risk of having another unpopular opinion, I kind of miss King of the Mountain. It was a total clusterfuck, but it was fun.

Showaddy

After missing Progress because of work I'll have to get tickets to this, card looks awesome. I live right next to the Central Line as well so no excuses about not being able to get to Bethnal Green.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wish they'd do a King of the Ring tournament for the title.

Aiii

So not worth it
Natalya's ability to make every conversation about her is insane. I don't know how she does it.

I am 100% for a short Triple H title run right now.

Its the lull part of the year so he wont be hogging the spotlight at the big shows like Mania or SummerSlam so thats a plus. His work the last 6 months has been AMAZING and I think he would be great as the heel COO champ

Literally have him give himself the belt be a cocky asshole for a few weeks and then drop it at SummerSlam or MITB to whoever.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B

Man, there were some real lows (sup, Freebirds music video performance thing), but some great stuff, too. I can't overstate how enjoyable it is for me to watch Sting and Steamboat vs. "Stunning" Steve Austin and "Ravishing" Rick Rude with Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura commentating. Takes me back, man...

Top Bottom