• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT2| Where the Big Boys Play

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rating was ugly for Raw, we knew it would be.

8PM 3.538 Million
9PM 3.858 Million
10 PM 3.412 Million

They need to do stuff like this to get the ratings back up:

4E5PdZ5.gif

I sort of gave up a long time ago trying to work out why WWE can't maintain the ability to write a decent show like they do the few weeks before and after Wrestlemania. Yet, here I am trying to work it out again. Nevermind.

XenoRaven

Probably dem devil worshipping Wyatts getting one over on good ol American Johnny Appleseed Cena.

I don't know if that actually happened. I'm just basing it on those weird pics of Bray trying to mold Cena's face like silly putty.

kiguel182

Ratings aren't good but it's expected.

They've lost all the momentum they had coming out of money. There aren't tons of fresh ideas right now so disinterest isn't surprising.

I knew Shield/Evolution wasn't going to be as hot of program as they wanted it to be, but they did it anyway. Trios matches, as fun as they might be, have never been a draw.

I knew Shield/Evolution wasn't going to be as hot of program as they wanted it to be, but they did it anyway. Trios matches, as fun as they might be, have never been a draw.

It would have been interesting if there was a story or angle beyond "let's make Roman Reigns look fucking awesome above all else"

Top 5 Occult Stables

5. The Age of the Fall
4. The Ministry/Corporate Ministry
3. The Brood
2. The Flock/Raven's Nest
1. The Order of the Neo Solar Temple

Wasn't sure if ECW Dudleys counted.

It would have been interesting if there was a story or angle beyond "let's make Roman Reigns look fucking awesome above all else"

Yeah I know he's "who they want" but I'm really not feeling what this is going to turn out to be. HHH vs Reigns is going to happen at Summerslam and I'm going to struggle to figure out why I'm supposed to care. I've never once bought into the idea that HHH actually hates the Shield. Not once. That touch of reality is missing.

What they did have, was the built in story with Bryan and they threw it all away so they could jerkoff over reforming Evolution and trying to make Roman Reigns into a main eventer. Congrats, it's drug down the product.

kiguel182

HHH vs Roman Reigns is going to be hard to watch. It'll be interesting to see if HHH can carry the feud/match for him.

I will be way more interested in seeing what Rollins and Ambrose are doing. Reigns is good to look cool but it's hard to get invested in him.

somedevil

Its a draw because all the overruns with them do very well. Meltzer even reports that. The 3rd hour has this pattern. After the angle occurs at 10 everyone turns it off and comes back for the overrun. They need to find a way to put something good on from 10:15-10:50 to keep people watching.

Also here is average viewership of April and May 2013 compared to 2014:

2013:
April: 4.350
May: 4.034

2014:
April: 4.666
May: 3.912

They were hot in April and then fell to 2013 average in May. Most likely due to a writing rut, basketball and Daniel Bryan injury.

Its a draw because all the overruns with them do very well. Meltzer even reports that. The 3rd hour has this pattern. After the angle occurs at 10 everyone turns it off and comes back for the overrun. They need to find a way to put something good on from 10:15-10:50 to keep people watching.

Also here is average viewership of April and May 2013 compared to 2014:

2013:
April: 4.350
May: 4.034

2014:
April: 4.666
May: 3.912

They were hot in April and then fell to 2013 average in May. Most likely due to a writing rut, basketball and Daniel Bryan injury.
If it was drawing brother, Raw wouldn't be doing high Smackdown numbers and the Network number would be huge. As much as people like to pin all of it on Bryan, the main program since Mania has been Evolution vs The Shield. And the numbers show it isn't working.

The overrun is easy to draw in, and you basically have to be a negative draw like a Zack Ryder to not pull numbers there.

strobogo

Banned
Top 5 Occult Stables

5. The Age of the Fall
4. The Ministry/Corporate Ministry
3. The Brood
2. The Flock/Raven's Nest
1. The Order of the Neo Solar Temple

Wasn't sure if ECW Dudleys counted.

The only list Age of the Fall belongs on is the GARBAGE list. Jimmy Jacobs is GARBAGE. I don't think the Flock were occult. Brood were a group within the Ministry, do they even count as a solo thing?

The only list Age of the Fall belongs on is the GARBAGE list. Jimmy Jacobs is GARBAGE. I don't think the Flock were occult. Brood were a group within the Ministry, do they even count as a solo thing?

The Flock were sort of Cultish I guess in WCW, since they hinted Raven was brainwashing them. The Brood were around before The Ministry... if only for a matter of months.

Excuse me, but The Brood hold the prestigious number 2 spot on the fan-voted WWE Countdown list of best factions. The Ministry didn't even rank.

somedevil

If it was drawing brother, Raw wouldn't be doing high Smackdown numbers and the Network number would be huge. As much as people like to pin all of it on Bryan, the main program since Mania has been Evolution vs The Shield. And the numbers show it isn't working.

The overrun is easy to draw in, and you basically have to be a negative draw like a Zack Ryder to not pull numbers there.

People who watch know the patterns when the big angles are coming. The problem is they need to do a better job with the mid card to keep the viewership high in between all the big angles.

Also, there have been bad over runs before. Punk has had some and before Bryan Summerslam win his no dq match with Orton did a bad overrun number.

People who watch know the patterns when the big angles are coming. The problem is they need to do a better job with the mid card to keep the viewership high in between all the big angles.

Also, there have been bad over runs before. Punk has had some and before Bryan Summerslam win his no dq match with Orton did a bad overrun number.

I remember that going up against the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup though. Please don't besmirch Bryan's infallible ratings reputation.

Sblargh

Banned
I sort of gave up a long time ago trying to work out why WWE can't maintain the ability to write a decent show like they do the few weeks before and after Wrestlemania. Yet, here I am trying to work it out again. Nevermind.

I'm new to this and even I am giving up. I always hated when people on the game side talked about "lazy devs", but I'm totally on "lazy creative" mode regarding WWE. Bryan had a lot of curve balls coming out of Wrestlemania, so creative being rushed and lost there is justified; but what justifies Cena vs Wyatt being so lost and overall horrible? Not even a matter of "cena wins lol", but that plus they change what this feud is about every week and they can't keep any shred of consistency; I mean, Raw is on monday and Smackdown is taped on tuesday; somewhere on those 24 hours they often change the entire tone/message/reason of being of this feud.

Then you have the Shield. Three talented guys, everyone of them over as singles and as an unit, a somewhat interesting story (former thugs taking over) and all you can do is make them bash heads about nothing in particular with another stable? Like, you don't think of any drama whatsoever beyond the basic thing. You create the feud and you don't advance it one single step. At least now and then there are good matches, but still, urgh. Do something, advance any character, inject anything interesting in the story!

Paige wins! Everyone gets hyped! Then she is booked in a horrible way completely oposite her character, they recap her interview with Michael Cole where she talks about how important the title is for almost two months without doing anything with it; and then Alicia Fox goes crazy, which is awesome, but I can't help but feel they are already dropping the ball there too. She gets crazy on Raw, then on Smackdown, then on Main Event, then on Payback?

And while they fumble their entire main event scene, they manage to not being able to create one single interesting story out of the entire rest of the roster; Sandow started and went nowhere in 4 or 5 storylines since the Royal Rumble; Ziggler is doing nothing, The Usos got the title and that's it; Rybaxel are getting over on their own and nothing being done about it; Rhodes brothers splitting up for zero reasons, completely out of character, with "they lose, then Cody gets angry" being repeated again and again and again with nothing behind it.

Gah, I could go on.

Yeah I know he's "who they want" but I'm really not feeling what this is going to turn out to be. HHH vs Reigns is going to happen at Summerslam and I'm going to struggle to figure out why I'm supposed to care. I've never once bought into the idea that HHH actually hates the Shield. Not once. That touch of reality is missing.

What they did have, was the built in story with Bryan and they threw it all away so they could jerkoff over reforming Evolution and trying to make Roman Reigns into a main eventer. Congrats, it's drug down the product.

Yep. Neither of those groups have no reason to be so into this as they want us to believe they are.

Randy Orthon is kind of just there, he wanted to be champion, he couldn't give a fuck about The Shield. The same with Batista; he was promised a championship, did not got it, now he hates Roman Reigns.

Triple H have reason to not want his former thugs to turn against him, but how much of a threat they are, really?

And The Shield wanted revenge, then they got it, then they got it again, then they got it once more, and now Evolution is revenging against the revenge of the Shield. Or something. The Wyatts and The Shield had less build up, but it inherently made more sense for some reason.

WWE is making me rage, bros. No, not really, I still think Wrestling is the most interesting thing I discovered on the past few years, I think it's great I am invested on a new hobby to the point of getting feels, but yeah, WWE could work with me and stop messing up.
-
Here is what legit make me upset: talent does awesome things, from Sandow getting really into his character, to The Shield being awesome, to Wyatt, etc etc etc.; then WWE fails completely and someone say "they did not get over, so WWE moved on" or something like that. I really can't hate on that roster, the wrestlers are doing what they can, but there's clearly one or more departments responsible to the management of this talent that is slacking off hard.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, friends. Looking to make my birthday turn into Meat Quest every year - 3 belt-busting meat meals for everyone. Should be disgusting. I'm a happy dude.

One of the Samsung reps at work is a mark. He was playing Batista's theme and Randy Orton's old theme ("HEY") at work.
Did you pretend to not know the themes? lol
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, friends. Looking to make my birthday turn into Meat Quest every year - 3 belt-busting meat meals for everyone. Should be disgusting. I'm a happy dude.

There's a thread about you in OT!

WCW from Fall 1991 to early 1993 is probably the best US promotion of all time. I really don't think any company has had the standard of quality of WCW 1992.

Arguably prime Sting
Prime Vader
The Dangerous Alliance (GOAT Rick Rude, Austin, Bobby Eaton, Arn Anderson, Larry Z)
Cactus Jack being crazy
Doc and Gordy
Steiners
Barry Windham
Dustin Rhodes
Brian Pillman
Ricky Steamboat
Nikita Koloff

Plus quality mid carders like Brad Armstrong, Tracy Smothers, Ricky Morton, Terry Taylor, Buff, random appearances from guys like Liger.

I haven't watched any of this era of WCW. This list convinces me that it's a serious oversight on my part.

Here is what legit make me upset: talent does awesome things, from Sandow getting really into his character, to The Shield being awesome, to Wyatt, etc etc etc.; then WWE fails completely and someone say "they did not get over, so WWE moved on" or something like that. I really can't hate on that roster, the wrestlers are doing what they can, but there's clearly one or more departments responsible to the management of this talent that is slacking off hard.

That is the most frustrating part - they have an incredible roster and they're letting it go to waste.

Happy birthday!

gurudyne

It's because they plan Mania season out from October to December, use January to set it up, then start the story after the Rumble. Mania happens, then the next night's planned fallout happens, then it's back to minute-by-minute booking which is rarely ever good. They tend to make plans and stick with them throughout that period.

Then again, a lot of the plans from this past year were horrible and should have been/were thrown out. But for better or worse, what they stuck with had consistency and kept them from doing completely off the wall time wasting garbage. It's a mixed bag of quality.

tm24

I'd like to think this was some sort of savvy inter-promotional deal that'd end up with Mistico vs Mistico to determine the true Mistico, or something. I'd like to think that, but I can't, because AAA's gonna AAA.
Ironically, it's actually Cmll that would be the guys to stop this

Sblargh

Banned
Actually, what's the deal with Sandow being comedy character gimmick of the week now?

He did Magneto and was awesome, so now WWE is milking it until it stops being good.

Edit: but in my opinion, it still is good. I just wished they had tied this into his losing streak thing; so Sandow is still Sandow, but now convinced he can only win when he dresses as something absurd. Alas, he lost to Truth, a win that he did 0 things for his career and broke the little bit of momentum Sandow built.

I'm new to this and even I am giving up. I always hated when people on the game side talked about "lazy devs", but I'm totally on "lazy creative" mode regarding WWE. Bryan had a lot of curve balls coming out of Wrestlemania, so creative being rushed and lost there is justified; but what justifies Cena vs Wyatt being so lost and overall horrible? Not even a matter of "cena wins lol", but that plus they change what this feud is about every week and they can't keep any shred of consistency; I mean, Raw is on monday and Smackdown is taped on tuesday; somewhere on those 24 hours they often change the entire tone/message/reason of being of this feud.

Then you have the Shield. Three talented guys, everyone of them over as singles and as an unit, a somewhat interesting story (former thugs taking over) and all you can do is make them bash heads about nothing in particular with another stable? Like, you don't think of any drama whatsoever beyond the basic thing. You create the feud and you don't advance it one single step. At least now and then there are good matches, but still, urgh. Do something, advance any character, inject anything interesting in the story!

Paige wins! Everyone gets hyped! Then she is booked in a horrible way completely oposite her character, they recap her interview with Michael Cole where she talks about how important the title is for almost two months without doing anything with it; and then Alicia Fox goes crazy, which is awesome, but I can't help but feel they are already dropping the ball there too. She gets crazy on Raw, then on Smackdown, then on Main Event, then on Payback?

And while they fumble their entire main event scene, they manage to not being able to create one single interesting story out of the entire rest of the roster; Sandow started and went nowhere in 4 or 5 storylines since the Royal Rumble; Ziggler is doing nothing, The Usos got the title and that's it; Rybaxel are getting over on their own and nothing being done about it; Rhodes brothers splitting up for zero reasons, completely out of character, with "they lose, then Cody gets angry" being repeated again and again and again with nothing behind it.

Gah, I could go on.

Yep. Neither of those groups have no reason to be so into this as they want us to believe they are.

Randy Orthon is kind of just there, he wanted to be champion, he couldn't give a fuck about The Shield. The same with Batista; he was promised a championship, did not got it, now he hates Roman Reigns.

Triple H have reason to not want his former thugs to turn against him, but how much of a threat they are, really?

And The Shield wanted revenge, then they got it, then they got it again, then they got it once more, and now Evolution is revenging against the revenge of the Shield. Or something. The Wyatts and The Shield had less build up, but it inherently made more sense for some reason.

WWE is making me rage, bros. No, not really, I still think Wrestling is the most interesting thing I discovered on the past few years, I think it's great I am invested on a new hobby to the point of getting feels, but yeah, WWE could work with me and stop messing up.
-

I'm no life long fan like a lot of the peeps in this thread, but I came into wrestling as an adult, just as you have. My advice to you? Watch PPVs on the network. Watch Smackdown. Watch NXT. Maybe even get into some indies.

Focus on the in ring stuff. That's usually pretty solid even if these days you have to wait until a PPV for a match to actually have a proper finish. They've got some good workers putting on decent matches.

The storylines... creative get cold feet at the drop of a hat. The crowd have to refuse to give up on something before creative recognizes they've got something. Such it was with Punk. Such it was with Bryan. But every now and then something magic happens.

Watch for the sudden surprisingly good stuff like Alicia Fox... but Raw is like 60% not wrestling and generally, it's not particularly good.

The recent fueds... it's like instead of using house shows to test this stuff they're doing it live on Raw. Oh, the silly photoshop thing didn't get over? Try bringing in kids. That didn't go down great? Focus on Bray calling himself God. Oh, corporate Kane isn't working in a feud against Bryan? Make him masked Kane again. Oh, no one really cared when Bryan beat someone he'd already beated a million times? Pretend like the win didn't happen and just keep Kane a Kaneing.

I'm used to them expecting that people only watch Raw and treating everything else like it wasn't canon. But now they're treating last week's Raw like it wasn't canon unless you saw a recap of it on this week's Raw.

NXT gives me some hope for the future of things. I like that. Short promos. I want the belt. I want respect. You got TV time I should have had. Now we fight.

Top Bottom