• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT2| Where the Big Boys Play

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Yeah it's different than with Dolph now, and they still plan on Bryan being #2 behind Cena so maybe just deal with the fact he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's got pretty decent promo skills and can bring it in the ring. It's just everything has gone very wrong since Mania for him, but he'll make it out in tact I'm sure. Both sides of y'all just need to calm down.

Austin is one guy. You said "hundreds".
Why are you calling me out for responding to another person about one specific guy? I didn't say "hundreds" and then decide to only talk about Austin.

Do you think Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, CM Punk, Bret Hart, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, etc. didn't speak up about how they were booked and presented to the audience?

strobogo

Banned
No, there haven't. Vince hired Steve Austin, told him to dress in a ridiculous outfit and call himself "The Ringmaster" and he said "Yes, sir".

Talent shouldn't just say yes to everything, but this notion that they have to keep fighting against creative borders on corporate shilling; why the hell is this "Creative" entity giving away so many bad ideas that force the people playing the characters to ignore them in order to have success?

What ridiculous outfit did Austin have to wear? Dark green trunks? Have you seen the ridiculous gear he wore in WCW before the Dangerous Alliance/Hollywood Blonds?

Striker

This is what has my one foot off the Bryan bandwagon. It's been said many times before, but I can't imagine any other serious top guy to allow themselves to look the way he has, even with the circumstances he's been dealt. Before you could say WWE was burying him and all that but at this point it's on him.
Somebody like Kurt Angle was dealt silly angles and seemed to not mind doing the jobs or the dirty work. But he had so much charisma and talent the crowd/fans never really turned a blind eye to his work. I think it's mostly a lot of talent they push and the material they're writing is just so bad. Brie has no business in this situation but since they are married it won't change.

somedevil

Why are you calling me out for responding to another person about one specific guy? I didn't say "hundreds" and then decide to only talk about Austin.

Do you think Undertaker, Triple H, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, CM Punk, Bret Hart, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, etc. didn't speak up about how they were booked and presented to the audience?

Kurt Angle never spoke up. He basically did what the writers gave him. So he wanted to do that angle with Booker T when he wanted to have beastality sex with his wife. Then attempted to rape her and called her a gutter slut?

When Punk was out, he was hilarious. Another example of a wrestler about 1000 leagues above Bryan in talent and charisma.

wGgCBD5.gif

Not to knock against the guy, but if there's one person that's a better wrestler than Punk, it's Bryan. He even said it himself in his DVD. Remember, charisma doesn't inherently mean mic skills. It can mean how you command a crowd with your matches. Someone give me that Wyatt cage match gif with all the people Yes'ng. Bryan was the most over person in the last 15 years. You can't possibly deny that.

God, I am in full defense mode here. This shit is fun doe, keep em coming.

Sblargh

Banned
This ignores all the speaking up Austin did when he was a main eventer, which proves my point.

No one knows you better than you.

What speaking up? I am asking honestly, as I don't know much about behind the scene stuff. Behing the scene, Austin always sounded like a company man despiste his character. He said the Austin 3:16 thing, got over, got in a feud with the owner of the company who was the greatest heel at the time, and they kept feuding for years with the machine protecting him every single night. But I might be wrong.
-
And that second sentence is just wrong, otherwise we wouldn't have psychoanalysis, you have professionals being paid a lot of money by a multi million dollar entertainment corporation to make sure their talent look good because their talent is their best resource. Yet, they are a bunch of monkeys running around throwing shit everywhere forcing the talent itself, who is not an actor, or director, or writer; to say "hey! I have a better idea!"

wGgCBD5.gif

Not to knock against the guy, but if there's one person that's a better wrestler than Punk, it's Bryan. He even said it himself in his DVD. Remember, charisma doesn't inherently mean mic skills. It can mean how you command a crowd with your matches. Someone give me that Wyatt cage match gif with all the people Yes'ng. Bryan was the most over person in the last 15 years. You can't possibly deny that.

I totally agree with you on that one moment. I marked the fuck out. He did it again at WM, but the constant in both of those is that he was booked really well. It's on him to make sure he always is.

Kurt Angle never spoke up. He basically did what the writers gave him. So he wanted to do that angle with Booker T when he wanted to have beastality sex with his wife. Then attempted to rape her and called her a gutter slut?
You can find individual examples of anything stupid anyone has done. How do you take that one moment as evidence that Kurt Angle never spoke up? Everyone talks about how much Angle is a mark for himself.

wGgCBD5.gif

Yeah one of the biggest fallacies I see parroted around is that Charisma = Mic skills when that's just not the case. You can talk all you want on the mic, but if everyone's silent when your match starts, that's lacking charisma but having good mic skills.

Same could be said for someone who can't talk real well, or at all, but the crowd goes nuts for their matches or even just their facial expressions. That's real charisma. And Bryan has a ton of it.

alstein

What ridiculous outfit did Austin have to wear? Dark green trunks? Have you seen the ridiculous gear he wore in WCW before the Dangerous Alliance/Hollywood Blonds?

The Hollywood Blondes gear was great. Austin's never had goofy gear- not even in his early World Class days.

Yeah one of the biggest fallacies I see parroted around is that Charisma = Mic skills when that's just not the case. You can talk all you want on the mic, but if everyone's silent when your match starts, that's lacking charisma but having good mic skills.

Same could be said for someone who can't talk real well, or at all, but the crowd goes nuts for their matches or even just their facial expressions. That's real charisma. And Bryan has a ton of it.

Punk to me was really 90% mic skills 10% ringwork. I never liked Punk's ringwork- he wasn't strong enough to do his finisher right on bigger guys, and he was really sloppy at times. Bryan is so much better in-ring, but he's only good on the mic. I think Cena is better in terms of pure in-ring than Punk.

strobogo

Banned
Has Cena had any moments like Bryan had with the cage YESing or anything at WM30? Even at his peak of fans actually being super into him, I can't think of any reaction that big, although he did have some big reactions in 2004/2005.

I hope Tyson Kidd wins tonight so we can have two tiny Total Divas champions with no mic skills who get excused for their failings because of their work rate.

I don't see whatever you guys see in Daniel Bryan. I see Tyson Kidd.

Has Cena had any moments like Bryan had with the cage YESing or anything at WM30? Even at his peak of fans actually being super into him, I can't think of any reaction that big, although he did have some big reactions in 2004/2005.

Royal Rumble 2008 is the only thing that comes to mind.

somedevil

You can find individual examples of anything stupid anyone has done. How do you take that one moment as evidence that Kurt Angle never spoke up? Everyone talks about how much Angle is a mark for himself.

That's funny because people are judging Bryan like that. Also, he is a mark for himself but has there been a story when he said no to an angle? Your talking to a man who did tons of goofy comedy when if he was a mark he would of said no to doing that stuff.

That's funny because people are judging Bryan like that. Also, he is a mark for himself but has there been a story when he said no to an angle? Your talking to a man who did tons of goofy comedy when if he was a mark for himself he would of said no to doing that stuff.
He did all of that goofy comedy because he was the best ever at it.

He also completely stopped that goofy comedy around the time of his ECW revival. He was pushing to be the man all the time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just think the Bryan bubble has burst.

I get my book subs from the same shop Punk does. He get's salty when you ask him about "work". The owners are all over dude's nuts.

That's their paycheck! CM Punk feeds them, because comics are goddamn dying.

That new Zayn theme is gold. I don't know who these CFO$ guys are, but they are running Jim Johnston out of a job.

They did Ascension theme, therefore they are top tier. Amazing entrance, ranks up there with Tenzan's amazing theme.

strobogo

Banned
Really bugging me how Alberto slaps his legs with the kick.

Has he always done that?

Yes, and always very blatantly. He also removes his knee pad for some reason. I haven't been able to figure out how the fuck moving your knee pad makes a kick with your heel more devastating.

Ithil

Turning NXT into the Total Divas feeder programs is serious fucked up shit.

Nattie is there because she's a veteran who can help Charlotte have a good match, Tyson is there because he's a talented wrestler who has never really had a push, who can have a great match with Neville but also take the loss.
I don't see the issue.

has anybody canceled their wwe network sub? I removed my billing information a few weeks back. I can still watch everything on the network and I was never charged the rest of the subscription. What gives? How am I still able to watch?

The Hollywood Blondes gear was great. Austin's never had goofy gear- not even in his early World Class days.

Punk to me was really 90% mic skills 10% ringwork. I never liked Punk's ringwork- he wasn't strong enough to do his finisher right on bigger guys, and he was really sloppy at times. Bryan is so much better in-ring, but he's only good on the mic. I think Cena is better in terms of pure in-ring than Punk.

My match of the year of 2013 was the one between Punk and Cena for the no. 1 contendership of the title at WM 29. Those two guys told a godamn story in that ring and my eyes were glued the entire way through. The fact that I still loved the match after Cena winning makes it even more special. It made me believe what Cena is capable of doing, and how good psychology and storytelling can be more important than work rate. God damn I love that match.

To me, I never saw Punk as this crisp wrestler, I always saw as this sloppy, scrappy, dude who manages to get the upper hand in matches. It's like how you see Will Smith fight in the Men In Black movies, sloppy as hell but you give a shit. It compliments his character.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with Natalya (and others) in that Womens' tournament is that it was all predicated on a bullshit excuse to have it. "Hey Paige, since you're on Raw, you gotta vacate the title. Let's summon some Raw talent to try to win it" - stupid continuity issues.

Tyson Kidd sucks at everything but his in-ring product. That ain't enough in this day and age. Mask up.

Sblargh

Banned
I guess I got confused in the Austin gears, maybe I'm thinking of Stunning Steve days.
But then on his podcast, Heyman was all like "talent don't speak for themselves" and Austing basically answered "they asked me to wear a green trunks, I complained, but I wore them anyway, I did not refuse" and Heyman went "yeah, well, talent these days don't even complain about the green trunks", which is bullshit.

Which at the time I thought Heyman was right, but more and more I see it as he protecting the corporation from the smarks at the expense of talent. Sandow is talented, funny, had good matches, a good character, could have been a solid midcard, but got fed to Cena? He should have refused the pink trunks! You can't blame talent for booking him into oblivion and then cutting out all of his TV time.

I want to see how many times talent speak for themselves only to get shot down.

somedevil

He did all of that goofy comedy because he was the best ever at it.

He also completely stopped that goofy comedy around the time of his ECW revival. He was pushing to be the man all the time.

You mean the time when he mentality losing it and WWE let him go because they didn't want him to die in the ring? Then he went to TNA with Vince Russo and went back to saying yes to putting an Ankle lock on Samoa Joe girlfriend and all the other crap TNA put him through.

I just think the Bryan bubble has burst..

Yep, the bubble burst on the man who gets the largest reactions on shows with crowds that are perceived dead like last week.

Laserfrog

Give Tyson kid a mask with LEDs that make emoticons and have him come to the ring doing the robot. People will call him The Robot, it will be a good gimmick, I promise.

I guess I got confused in the Austin gears, maybe I'm thinking of Stunning Steve days.
But then on his podcast, Heyman was all like "talent don't speak for themselves" and Austing basically answered "they asked me to wear a green trunks, I complained, but I wore them anyway, I did not refuse" and Heyman went "yeah, well, talent these days don't even complain about the green trunks", which is bullshit.

Which at the time I thought Heyman was right, but more and more I see it as he protecting the corporation from the smarks at the expense of talent. Sandow is talented, funny, had good matches, a good character, could have been a solid midcard, but got fed to Cena? He should have refused the pink trunks! You can't blame talent for booking him into oblivion and then cutting out all of his TV time.

I want to see how many times talent speak for themselves only to get shot down.

That's probably why Heyman calls himself an "advocate." It's meta-commentary on how you have to sell yourself to the company.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, the bubble burst on the man who gets the largest reactions on shows with crowds that are perceived dead like last week.

I just thought back to that cage reaction vs his recent appearances. Train's dead. Gotta put more coal in it. More Cole.

Give Tyson kid a mask with LEDs that make emoticons and have him come to the ring doing the robot. People will call him The Robot, it will be a good gimmick, I promise.

"Real Emojion"
"Emoji Willie"
"Mr. Emoji"

You mean the time when he mentality losing it and WWE let him go because they didn't want him to die in the ring? Then he went to TNA with Vince Russo and went back to saying yes to putting an Ankle lock on Samoa Joe girlfriend and all the other crap TNA put him through.
Kurt Angle's ankle lock sprees during entire episodes of Impact is one of two fond memories I have of anything in TNA. The other is Jarrett doing his MMA gimmick and putting holds on kids.

I think you don't understand the value of humor in wrestling. It's not all Fighting Spirit, bro.

You know what, him not wrestling since ER is just gonna make his in-ring return all the more special. No matter who the opponent is
Kane

I'm kinda digging the new Zayn theme. That ooooohhhhhh ooooohhhhh part i'm assuming is a possible replacement for his OLE chants. Hope Full Sail puts it over tonight.

Top Bottom