• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrestling |OT2| We watch it so you don't have to

Foggy

I wonder what Meltzer qualifies as a "big cut" though. Like if she's going from $80k to $60k, that's a lot of money, but I don't know that I would qualify it how he did.

25% is a pretty big pay cut, no matter what profession you're in. Especially when you're established as being at the top of your profession. Granted I'm sure the cut is offset by health insurance and prearranged living arrangements.

Next step should be WWE buying or building their own apartment complex near the PC for talent to live as an option though probably not a great one if you gotta move out after getting called up so dumb idea, never mind.

The lowest I've ever heard people making at NXT is like $40-50k.

I also remember reading that women get paid more due to greater upkeep or whatever. I know talent can get raises at any time, I think they showed that on Breaking Ground.

They really should do another Breaking Ground.

And I had no idea how many house shows NXT does.
A bit back my friend is like "I'm hitting up the NXT show" and I asked at Full Sail and he says "No Largo" and it was not even five minutes away.

NXT contracted talent doesn't get live event bonuses supposedly because WWE is covering so much from the PC and travel/hotel expenses when they go on the road. Still get a cut of their merch though don't know if the percentage is the same as the main roster.

25% is a pretty big pay cut, no matter what profession you're in.

That's not the qualification I meant. Meltzer goes on to qualify the move to WWE for some as a risk or a talent betting on themselves. It's a big cut percentage-wise, but it's still a healthy living and the potential for growth is way, way higher. I don't think it's as big a deal to take that cut when the end result is still 60k with high growth potential vs. 80k with a ceiling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
dfewefgexauew.gif

Next step should be WWE buying or building their own apartment complex near the PC for talent to live as an option though probably not a great one if you gotta move out after getting called up so dumb idea, never mind.

Actually a lot of the talent that go through the PC stay living in Orlando even after getting called up. I know Braun definitely still lives in that area.

Actually a lot of the talent that go through the PC stay living in Orlando even after getting called up. I know Braun definitely still lives in that area.

I know, just the idea of WWE having their own housing for NXT talent might be dumb since talent is better off finding their own places (where a lot seem to live together and split costs) since they'd be better finding a place and getting settled in than living some where they'd have to move out of and find a new place to live after making it to the main roster.

Heroman

Banned
That's not the qualification I meant. Meltzer goes on to qualify the move to WWE for some as a risk or a talent betting on themselves. It's a big cut percentage-wise, but it's still a healthy living and the potential for growth is way, way higher. I don't think it's as big a deal to take that cut when the end result is still 60k with high growth potential vs. 80k with a ceiling.
It really depends on the person, if was a America dude who wasn't a top indu star hell yeah I go to WWE or At least NJPW, but if I was a Latino dude or Japanese guy , probably not

Foggy

It's a calculated risk but it's still a risk, particularly with the chance that she'll be eclipsed by Shirai. Moving to a new country, with a very different culture, without a great grasp of the language, with less control, less cache, and less guaranteed money is nothing to sneeze at.

Heroman

Banned
Moving to a new country for just a job is tough for a lot of people, if I had to move to let the Japan or Mexico it would be a super hard decision.

Pikma

Banned
It's a calculated risk but it's still a risk, particularly with the chance that she'll be eclipsed by Shirai. Moving to a new country, with a very different culture, without a great grasp of the language, with less control, less cache, and less guaranteed money is nothing to sneeze at.

Shut up Marvie

Purple Kane huh? My namesake (how embarrassing) was a character I created who was basically a blue version of classic Kane but more gimmicky and super athletic.

Moving to a new country for just a job is tough for a lot of people, if I had to move to let the Japan or Mexico it would be a super hard decision.

Even if you had a fairly decent chance of making significantly more money in the long run and whatever the non-entertainment job equivalent would be to greater exposure and a place where you also already know people and the company is covering helping you learn the language/improve your understanding of it and all that?

I don't know, I'd probably jump at the chance if offered.

Foggy

Btw, this Toshio Yamada vs Chikako Hasegawa match has more spinkicks than a JCVD movie and it's pretty awesome. Right up until Yamada dumps Hasegawa on her freakin neck and they have to call the match.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It really depends on the person, if was a America dude who wasn't a top indu star hell yeah I go to WWE or At least NJPW, but if I was a Latino dude or Japanese guy , probably not

Mexican promotions do not pay that well, specially to mid to lower talent. That is why someone like Penta and Phoenix once they found out they could do way more doing shows in the US and UK indies decide to leave the carny business that AAA and CMLL are.

Also the current exchange rate between peso and dollars / euros / pounds makes working on those places really attractive. If you have family in Mexico they can live a really good life if you make some decent dollars.

RE: taking a pay cut to go to NXT, most of the talent did it. The only ones I know of that got really good deals were Finn and Nak. The rest bet on themselves pretty hard.

For Hojo specifically, she can go from being the ace of a women's promotion to a worldwide talent. And if it doesn't work out, she can always go back to STARDOM or work elsewhere, she didn't burn any bridges

RE: taking a pay cut to go to NXT, most of the talent did it. The only ones I know of that got really good deals were Finn and Nak. The rest bet on themselves pretty hard.

For Hojo specifically, she can go from being the ace of a women's promotion to a worldwide talent. And if it doesn't work out, she can always go back to STARDOM or work elsewhere, she didn't burn any bridges

I hear TNA needs a few good hands

I'm currently working in my charity shop and I can buy myself some authentic wwe wear for some jobber, something about "respect the beard".
Alas even for 2 quid due to staff discount and it coming in my vanilla midget size I fear it's too unsafe.
I don't even have a beard and the back will give the impression I'm some Daniel Bryan guy.

Beefy

Spoetskeeda are fucking awful 😂. WWE put a Punk vid up so Sportskeeda have a article about him maybe returning😂

Sephzilla

Menome, I'd like to apologise for some scoreboard issues during the iron man match. Not sure why some alternate versions of zero were being used at times.

Tall4Life

Don't worry Menome, while you may have lost now, and while you're going to go down the career path of Marty Janetty, at least you'll get to wrestle Joey Janela in like, 20 years!

Beefy

Menome, I'd like to apologise for some scoreboard issues during the iron man match. Not sure why some alternate versions of zero were being used at times.
When do we get stats? Did Menome lose 7 times in one night? 😂

Don't worry Menome, while you may have lost now, and while you're going to go down the career path of Marty Janetty, at least you'll get to wrestle Joey Janela in like, 20 years!

I think Zach has been at the dragon water...

Top Bottom