• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

This can easily be solved by assigning a tonnage max to the whole team... like in the tabletop game. They will need to change the UI so ppl have a startup screen where they can pick mechs (like DOTA games).

I just got the beta (for free, so no bonuses to use), and I'm running into an issue. Basically, my (default kit) Atlas AS7-K overheats in three shots. I can't afford any heatsinks, so is my only option to remove weapons, or do I fire fewer of them at a time?

Do I group them while in the game?

If you want to roll with 3 PPC's or something large, change in a smaller engine and reduce armor to get more heatsinks in.

And yes, currently you can only group weapons in-game when the match starts. Use arrow keys and right-ctrl to activate weapons in different numbered groups. Default setting has mouse 1 and mouse 2 use the corresponding groups, and you can use number keys to fire them off as well.

But still, even if you fire them off one by one, the amount of heat is still pretty much the same, you can just avoid an instant overheat.

edit: anyways, head to the Beta forums, there are some good beginner threads to help with the basics.

LordCanti

If you want to roll with 3 PPC's or something large, change in a smaller engine and reduce armor to get more heatsinks in.

And yes, currently you can only group weapons in-game when the match starts. Use arrow keys and right-ctrl to activate weapons in different numbered groups. Default setting has mouse 1 and mouse 2 use the corresponding groups, and you can use number keys to fire them off as well.

But still, even if you fire them off one by one, the amount of heat is still pretty much the same, you can just avoid an instant overheat.

edit: anyways, head to the Beta forums, there are some good beginner threads to help with the basics.

Did DICE design this game? ><

I'll check out the forums. Thanks.

This can easily be solved by assigning a tonnage max to the whole team... like in the tabletop game. They will need to change the UI so ppl have a startup screen where they can pick mechs (like DOTA games).

Perhaps, can see it being a bit of a nightmare with matchmaking when they increase to the max player limits are put in. You would have games waiting to start forever as the matchmaking tries to find players in proper tonnage to fit a slot. Giving players a startup chance to select will probably be a mess of players arguing over who takes what. Only thing I can think of is the game automatically trying to event out tonnages with the matchmaking itself, but I can't imagine any hard limits getting put in except for possibly specific game modes.

Perhaps for smaller tournament style games or ranked like mode that requires preassembled teams of specific tonnages. But in the open large games it would be hard to enforce

Nickiepoo

Do I group them while in the game? I don't see anywhere in the mechlab that will let me group weapons.

Yeah, for now it has to be done in game, though it saves once done. Use your arrow keys up/down to select the weapon system, left/right to select the group then right ctrl to add/remove from that group.

Also, if you're using the default k with 2 ER large lasers then drop them for mediums and use your guass for sniping or else accept that they really aren't spammy weapons. The ERs generate about 50% more heat than normal large lasers anyway so they're only worth using at their optimal range of aroubd 450-900 and will probably announce you as a good target to lights and other harrassers.

Bizazedo

The Atlas pretty much breaks the game in it's current state since a good team of pilots will beat out other mechs of equivalent skill in almost any situation. Only light mechs stand a real chance

Eh, only if they all sit back in their base and don't move. And even then, an organized team can counter-snipe.

But then it's organized team versus organized team, soo.....it's a different beast.

Mupod

There's a failure in the design process if tonnage limits are needed because of 'overpowered assault mechs'. We shouldn't WANT to field 8 atlases. The matchmaking should try to create balanced teams, but that should be desirable over atlas spam in the first place.

While I personally don't think they are anywhere near the most threatening mech or even that overplayed, the map and weapon design does favor assaults a bit. The team I run with is all fast mediums and has no trouble with them, but I'm sure that they are more of a problem for disorganized randoms that try to 1v1 them at 150m with centurions.

Lights will only get better with multi-targeting, ECM, endosteel and the like so keep that in mind too.

Bizazedo

The team I run with is all fast mediums and has no trouble with them, but I'm sure that they are more of a problem for disorganized randoms that try to 1v1 them at 150m with centurions.

Hey now, I love rocking Atlas with my Centurion :).

Granted I have to use terrain and me smart about where I hit him and keep on twisting to distribute his damage, but it's totally doable.

kagete

Yeah the update looks cool and addresses what everyone has just been talking about. I wonder if it will still sometimes force some people in a premade group on the opposite team.

I'm curious about the commander role, hopefully there's a vote feature to impeach someone who doesn't want it or is just screwing around.

I'm kinda torn on the salvaging being purely money even for weapons. I'd rather the actual spoils include random salvaged weapons and ammo instead of their c-bill equivalent, even if you actually get less utility/value out of such an arrangement in exchange for something a bit closer to that Mercenaries feel. Got 4 small pulse lasers lying around after several campaigns? Well guess what's going on the next Jenner I buy!

Got an email. Founder's program ends September 6th.

I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do, as I haven't signed up yet. I've got a Radeon HD 6870 coming in September from the Defense Grid Kickstarter I backed, so I should be able to run it well at that point. I'm definitely going to play the game, just not sure how much money I want to commit to it.

Got an email. Founder's program ends September 6th.

I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do, as I haven't signed up yet. I've got a Radeon HD 6870 coming in September from the Defense Grid Kickstarter I backed, so I should be able to run it well at that point. I'm definitely going to play the game, just not sure how much money I want to commit to it.

I still recommend it if you think you'll be playing it more than casually. The premium months will let you get a good sized amount of currency without it feeling grindy.

As I posted before re: price breakdown, I personally think Elite is better than Legendary in terms of cost effectiveness.

Unfortunately that might change slightly as now that the Founder's mechs have been rolled out, and you can't switch your single mech choice after playing around in the beta and finding your favorite of the set. Before the 7th you could, but no longer.

Woorloog

Banned
How CPU intensive MWO is? Because one laptop that seems to be suiting my purposes would have Core i3 2367M, which is somewhat slowish nowadays. Another laptop would have Core i5-2450M but slightly weaker GPU (GT 630M, the first laptop would have GT 640M).

Well, I guess I can see if my computer can run MWO on the lowest settings possible, as I just received an email letting me in to the closed beta. Hopefully it works, so I can test the game out before committing to the Founder's program.

Palmer_v1

I may or may not have just gotten an email granting me Beta access. Someone PM me if there's a group of any kind that is already in this.

Nickiepoo

I may or may not have just gotten an email granting me Beta access. Someone PM me if there's a group of any kind that is already in this.

Announcing entry to the beta is no longer NDA-breaking, and yeah, there's a bunch of us as listed in a post a few pages back.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I didn't get in, I just got a newsletter encouraging me to buy a founders package. :(

Nickiepoo

The new base capture time seems ludicrously fast, forcing at least one person to sit in/near the base.

2 minutes for a lone mech, that's the role of fast mediums that can both support the team and defend the base against lights, assuming they haven't over-extended on a large map.

Jubbly

2 minutes for a lone mech, that's the role of fast mediums that can both support the team and defend the base against lights, assuming they haven't over-extended on a large map.

I haven't measured it, but there were 2 mechs in our capture zone and it went incredibly quick.

Woorloog

Banned
When will the Founder's Program end? Because i get my new laptop next week... Just trying to decide whether i wanna take part in it or not.

EDIT Sep 6th? Dang, going to be close.. Probably have to make the decision before the laptop arrives :/

EDIT i don't actually like the Inception skins though, so maybe i'll pass? I'll spend some money on other stuff. Probably piloting a Raven, Centurion or something else anyway.

Sethos

Banned
PURCHASE INFORMATION:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Account Name: Sethos88
Description: From NONE to LEGENDARY
Payment Method: P3
Amount: USD$120.00
Transaction Date: Thursday, August 23 2012

Yay, come at me.

Woorloog

Banned
NEWS TIME!

New trailer, link to MWO's article

The trailer itself

Weekly screenshot

841F1E463DF8E18FED77663444AD75BD.jpg

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Footage in that trailer was okay, but the narration was terrible. Thank god the game itself is awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
Footage in that trailer was okay, but the narration was terrible. Thank god the game itself is awesome.

Yeah, the narrations are kinda pointless.
If they wanna do such, they could at least make the trailers look like in-universe news reports or something like that.

Still not sure what kinda pilot i'm going to be, want to be... I love heavy missile boats but mediums and lights are much more tactical, skill intensive and thus interest me a lot. But i'm also a close quarters combatant, heavy, high power close range weapons are something i like along with pulse lasers.
Does any light mech have ballistic slots at the moment?
I'm afraid Raven won't have them :/
Commando with ballistic slots would be awesome though i doubt one can free enough mass for an AC/20 in it :p

Nickiepoo

Yeah, the narrations are kinda pointless.
If they wanna do such, they could at least make the trailers look like in-universe news reports or something like that.

Still not sure what kinda pilot i'm going to be, want to be... I love heavy missile boats but mediums and lights are much more tactical, skill intensive and thus interest me a lot. But i'm also a close quarters combatant, heavy, high power close range weapons are something i like along with pulse lasers.
Does any light mech have ballistic slots at the moment?
I'm afraid Raven won't have them :/
Commando with ballistic slots would be awesome though i doubt one can free enough mass for an AC/20 in it :p

One of the 40ton Cicada (medium, but only just) variants might have ballistics since a few of them come stock with MGs, but otherwise you're probably shit out of luck until the Hollander comes along, post clan. Ballistics are really freaking heavy though, the smallest AC is still twice the weight as the largest SRM (6 tons to 3) and you need 15 tons just to do the same damage per shot (guass rifle), with 10 shots per ton of ammo compared to almost 20. Really keeps ballistics off all but the most dedicated light mechs.

Having said that, both Dragons and Centurions with up-tonned engines can be really nice speedy ballistic carriers. I love my Guass Dragon and a lancemate runs an UAC5 Centurion to good effect.

EDIT: There is at least one MG equiped varient of the Raven, so you might actually be in luck, though I don't see it actually being efficient.

Woorloog

Banned
One of the 40ton Cicada (medium, but only just) variants might have ballistics since a few of them come stock with MGs, but otherwise you're probably shit out of luck until the Hollander comes along, post clan. Ballistics are really freaking heavy though, the smallest AC is still twice the weight as the largest SRM (6 tons to 3) and you need 15 tons just to do the same damage per shot (guass rifle), with 10 shots per ton of ammo compared to almost 20. Really keeps ballistics off all but the most dedicated light mechs.

Having said that, both Dragons and Centurions with up-tonned engines can be really nice speedy ballistic carriers. I love my Guass Dragon and a lancemate runs an UAC5 Centurion to good effect.

EDIT: There is at least one MG equiped varient of the Raven, so you might actually be in luck, though I don't see it actually being efficient.

Can't stand the Cicada. Guess i'll be piloting a Centurion or Hunchback. Not sure about the Dragon, i'm not very keen on heavies, other than the Catapult.

Raven with a MG? Hmm. Where is the MG, not Center Torso or Head i hope...
Raven is 35 tonner... need to calculate minimum weight assuming no armor, heatsinks or weapons... And assuming Extra Light, Endo Steel and maybe Ferro Fibrous if possible (critical space start becoming problematic)

EDIT 12 tons? Assuming 210 rated XL engine (4.5 tons), cockpit (3 tons), gyro (2.5 tons) and endo steel (2 tons)? so, 21 tons left? Can't be right... is it?

EDIT let's assume that, AC/20 with two tons of ammo, totalling 16 tons, that leaves 5 tons for armor and other stuff...

Giolon

New interview at Tentonhammer:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/interviews/mech-warrior-online

This doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence in the launch state of the game. Also, given that the Founder's program ends Sep 6, I think we're looking at an Open Beta (which they may call "Release") in the next two weeks.

(Team) Deathmatch on only 4 maps? I'm beginning to regret my Founder's purchase already. This is a game that people should check back with in another 6 mo to a year. What they're launching is a tech demo.

Woorloog

Banned
New interview at Tentonhammer:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/interviews/mech-warrior-online

This doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence in the launch state of the game. Also, given that the Founder's program ends Sep 6, I think we're looking at an Open Beta (which they may call "Release") in the next two weeks.

(Team) Deathmatch on only 4 maps? I'm beginning to regret my Founder's purchase already. This is a game that people should check back with in another 6 mo to a year. What they're launching is a tech demo.

Thank you for making it easy not to buy a Founder's Pack.

Guess i'll stick with my not-backlog games still open beta.

EDIT fuck, i'm craving Battlemech action... Can't play MW4Mercs due mouse issues, the game refuses to recognize mouse buttons (specifically, anything other than the left one)

EDIT not worried about just 4 maps, as long as each one is different enough. Quality over quantity. Only deathmatch is something i don't want though. Need that "Conquest" or whatever the other mode planned is called.

kagete

Well to be fair its really like each match is like a game of CS. You can either kill everyone (noone respawns) or capture the enemy base. It's not on the scale of Tribes, which would have been nice, but it's still pretty cool.

Woorloog

Banned
Well to be fair its really like each match is like a game of CS. You can either kill everyone (noone respawns) or capture the enemy base. It's not on the scale of Tribes, which would have been nice, but it's still pretty cool.

Ah, well that sounds OK.
Wait, is that the "Conquest" mode or Team Deathmatch?

Woorloog

Banned
Team Deathmatch. It's the only mode they're launching with. I believe they call it "Assault".

Oh. So it isn't your typical Team Deathmatch with that capture zone...
Hmm. Well, it doesn't have respawning and can be won without necessarily killing anyone so i guess i'm okay with it.

Gah, should i buy a Founder's Pack or not... If i do, i'll be able to play next week i reckon. If i don't... well, i guess no one has any idea how long till open beta.

Llyranor

Gah, should i buy a Founder's Pack or not... If i do, i'll be able to play next week i reckon. If i don't... well, i guess no one has any idea how long till open beta.
I can't talk about the game because of the NDA, but let me solve this simple dilemma of yours with a question of my own.

Do you like MechWarrior? Yes/No

Woorloog

Banned
I can't talk about the game because of the NDA, but let me solve this simple dilemma of yours with a question of my own.

Do you like MechWarrior? Yes/No

Yes. Quite a lot in fact. Good catharsis factor, giant robots slugging it out... Ridiculous fiction in a way but still fun.
So... double yes?

What status had best value? Probably would get Elite status if i get the Founder's pack but...

Llyranor

I have the Legendary pack and don't regret it.

However, you can start from the bottom (Veteran) and upgrade to Elite/Legendary if that's what you want later on (as long as it's before the deadline in Sept). All in all, best bang for your buck is probably Elite (though again, you can upgrade to that from Veteran if need be).

Woorloog

Banned
I have the Legendary pack and don't regret it.

However, you can start from the bottom (Veteran) and upgrade to Elite/Legendary if that's what you want later on (as long as it's before the deadline in Sept). All in all, best bang for your buck is probably Elite (though again, you can upgrade to that from Veteran if need be).

I get my new laptop next week... but not necessarily before 6th. So--- [EDIT i actually stopped here to check a calendar and was dumbstruct to find out what's the date... then proceeded to write the following.]

Oh wait, it is 25th now? I've lived a week in the future or something like that.

EDIT2 hmm, i guess i could buy the Veteran now then, try the game out a bit and upgrade if i feel like it. Other than the Catapult i don't really care about the Founder's mech selection, and even with Catapult i don't care about the skin, not my colors.

They essentially said a while ago that the game will be in a beta state for some time. Open beta will eventually be the games release like various other f2p titles have done. Once the game let's anyone play, then its technically released as any cash shop stuff spent will no longer be refunded at that point.

Team Deathmatch. It's the only mode they're launching with. I believe they call it "Assault".

Its not team death match.

Giolon

They essentially said a while ago that the game will be in a beta state for some time. Open beta will eventually be the games release like various other f2p titles have done. Once the game let's anyone play, then its technically released as any cash shop stuff spent will no longer be refunded at that point.

Its not team death match.

The developer in the interview refers to it himself as "12 v 12 death match." If you want to play nitpick over terms, take it up with them.

I like Mechwarrior, and I regret purchasing a Founder Pack. This will be a great game in a year. It's not worth the mediocre feature set they're launching with, especially when a significant portion of the Founder pack is put towards a limited time perk (Premium status for X months). I don't want that time being used up during BETA, but it will be.

Just wait until Open Beta and play it for free.

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT /\ Early access man. Can't wait. Need Mechwarrior in my veins. That said, i'll start with Veteran, i reckon. I'll wait till the laptop arrives though.
---
I guess i'll be buying a Founder's Pack next week then, when my laptop arrives.
Now i need to decide whether i'll register a new pilot name or use the current one...

The developer in the interview refers to it himself as "12 v 12 death match." If you want to play nitpick over terms, take it up with them.

I like Mechwarrior, and I regret purchasing a Founder Pack. This will be a great game in a year. It's not worth the mediocre feature set they're launching with, especially when a significant portion of the Founder pack is put towards a limited time perk (Premium status for X months). I don't want that time being used up during BETA, but it will be.

Just wait until Open Beta and play it for free.

The founders mech and bonuses associated with em are nice and you get cash shop credits as well. Its a decent deal if you ever planned to spend some money on the game.

Giolon

EDIT /\ Early access man. Can't wait. Need Mechwarrior in my veins. That said, i'll start with Veteran, i reckon. I'll wait till the laptop arrives though.
---
I guess i'll be buying a Founder's Pack next week then, when my laptop arrives.
Now i need to decide whether i'll register a new pilot name or use the current one...

Then I advise you (or anyone) start with the minimum $30 pack, check out the game in the state it's in now, then making a decision based off your opinion of that (You can upgrade between packs for the simple cost difference at any time before Sep 6). IMO, the sweet spot is at the $60 level.

Also, note that I never said anything about the game being good/bad or fun/unfun. I simply don't think that with the feature set the developers appear to be planning to launch the game with that it's worth paying for - and thus I regret my $60 non-refundable purchase.

The founders mech and bonuses associated with em are nice and you get cash shop credits as well. Its a decent deal if you ever planned to spend some money on the game.

I think I read somewhere that the devs value mechs at approx $15 and Premium at $10 / mo, so they consider like the $120 package a $170 value. So sure, if you look at it that way it's a decent deal. However, you still will likely be able to buy all the mechs in in-game currency for free.

Woorloog

Banned
Looking at what the pack's give, i reckon i won't actually buy anything above Veteran. As i said, i don't like the Inception skins, like the Catapult only of those mechs really and considering that, as Giolon says, the game will launch as beta, using up premium time while in beta sounds kinda stupid.
It gives me reasonable amount of in-game cash (i assume so anyway, i'm going to think carefully what i buy anyway), and early access to the game...

BTW, are modules currently in the beta? How big deal are they? PGI's been rather vague on them even while they talked about them earlier this year.

EDIT i'm not worried about having just 4 maps as long as they're good. While the game maybe lacking in features at launch, it does seem to have enough to satisfy my Mechwarrior needs.

Your not wasting your premium time, all the advantages you get are basically boosts and all the progress your gonna make in the open beta will not be wiped. All that bonus xp and creds will still be yours.

Woorloog

Banned
Your not wasting your premium time, all the advantages you get are basically boosts and all the progress your gonna make in the open beta will not be wiped. All that bonus xp and creds will still be yours.

Arguably it is wasted if you don't want to play the game in the state it is.
IMO the premium time shouldn't start before "Live" but no need to reset stats after open beta is done.

Top Bottom