• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Sethos

Banned
Then we'll talk in code.

THE EAGLE FLIES AT NIGHT. STOP. A HORSE ALSO REQUIRES MANICURE. STOP. THE PENGUIN LANDS TOMORROW. STOP.

Wouldn't you guys agree?

Zaptruder

Banned
Anyway, on an entirely different subject matter, what past Mechwarrior mechs have you always wondered... why did they bother including it?

Personally, I think the Raven never really fufilled its promise as a electronic warfare mech in earlier games.

Lime

Anyway, on an entirely different subject matter, what past Mechwarrior mechs have you always wondered... why did they bother including it?

Personally, I think the Raven never really fufilled its promise as a electronic warfare mech in earlier games.

The Raven fulfilled its promise once I saw it in the Mechcommander intro back in the day.

In regards to earlier games, there has just been too many mechs in almost all the MW games that I had specifically thought about why the developers even bothered to include a specificf mech in spite of a mech's uselessness.

The Urban mech, maybe? But then I laugh when I think about the poor mech and I understand why it was included.

Pretty much all light mechs tended to be useless in the older mechwarrior games.

So, I got an email that I'd got into the closed beta, website however disagreed and still said "pending", a quick look on Forums / Facebook confirmed the email was sent in error.

Get another email also confirming that the previous email was an error, however by way of apology I was being rewarded with...

...Beta Access.

Awesome!

Hi-5. Me too

Haha, it'll takes ages now to get the lowest non trial mech. I'm out for this one.

Even founders have a hard time supporting their own mechs with increased bonuses. This is ridiculous.

AlStrong

Pretty much all light mechs tended to be useless in the older mechwarrior games.

They worked pretty well in the BT3025 beta way back when, but I suppose that was mostly down to the planets/matches having tonnage restrictions - pretty good idea for gameplay & progression purposes IMHO.

Lime

If everyone got the latest Beta mail, then I suppose it's okay to talk about its contents? I'm mostly referring to "45 matches" mention that I think is pretty ridiculous.

4.5 hours of play time is not that much though. Many players can flush that out in one or two sittings of the game. Course it's a scary hurdle to some that is there to try and get them to just fork over some cash. But once you get past that little bump, your pretty much in the clear.

Anyone everyone should be on trials for some time before jumping in, or they are just going to be wasting alot of resources

4.5 hours of play time is not that much though. Many players can flush that out in one or two sittings of the game. Course it's a scary hurdle to some that is there to try and get them to just fork over some cash. But once you get past that little bump, your pretty much in the clear.

4,5 hours to only get to the cheapest starting mech.

If this model is maintained, a lot of new people will immediately be put off by the grind. Even Founders are complaining about having to grind.

Anyone everyone should be on trials for some time before jumping in, or they are just going to be wasting alot of resources
With the previous model, repairing cheaper mech (almost?) always costed less than the amount of prize money. Larger mechs could cost you money to repair. A perfect balance.

Orayn

Open beta will start soon and I'll make a new thread for it, allowing this one and its NDA iffiness to fade away...

Giolon

If this model is maintained, a lot of new people will immediately be put off by the grind. Even Founders are complaining about having to grind.

It's tried and true F2P methodology - institute a grind so horrible that players have no real choice but to pay money to bypass it. Look at Trbes Ascend. It's the same thing there for weapon and class unlocks. Or look at LOTRO in the MMO space since that converted to F2P. That game's deed system (grind out hundreds, thousands of specific types of monsters for minuscule, yet important buffs to your character) was practically tailor made for the F2P give us money and you can skip the bullshit model.

Once you have bought a mech, you make A LOT more money and getting any more stuff comes far more quicker. Founders whining is pretty funny seeing how fast they can make money.

4.5 hour grind is essentially nothing compared to what other f2p games have done.

Lime

Well, I guess that's a good thing: Now people aren't running around in XL engines and Assault mechs. And earning a 'mech is now much more rewarding and not just "another" entry into a potentially overcrowded mechlab.

Personally, I can't wait for customization and paint schemes. That'll make a much stronger bond with my 'mech.

Open beta will start soon and I'll make a new thread for it, allowing this one and its NDA iffiness to fade away...

"Great sir, now all is clear and seeming well,
Yet still there is but one remaining problem;
My children, sir, they as of yet unborn,
Shall never hear your words so pure an grand."
"You see", the great one spoke aloud, "It is
your humble kin for whom I write this book.
It is the Law, our honor bound in hide."

Mudkips

Banned
It's tried and true F2P methodology - institute a grind so horrible that players have no real choice but to pay money to bypass it. Look at Trbes Ascend. It's the same thing there for weapon and class unlocks. Or look at LOTRO in the MMO space since that converted to F2P. That game's deed system (grind out hundreds, thousands of specific types of monsters for minuscule, yet important buffs to your character) was practically tailor made for the F2P give us money and you can skip the bullshit model.

The grind is far more gentle in Tribes Ascend. And you can have fun with the default stuff.

The trial mechs in MWO are trash. Beyond that, the efficiency/module unlocks take so much grinding that I uninstalled after yesterday's reset.

The grind is far more gentle in Tribes Ascend. And you can have fun with the default stuff.

The trial mechs in MWO are trash. Beyond that, the efficiency/module unlocks take so much grinding that I uninstalled after yesterday's reset.

You uninstalled over a beta change that is not set in stone and could change as soon as next update?

Mudkips

Banned
You uninstalled over a beta change that is not set in stone and could change as soon as next update?

Yup. When a game is no longer fun I stop playing it. If I'm not gonna play it there's no reason to keep it around. If they somehow change it drastically then I might reinstall it, but there's no chance of that happening.

This is how F2P works. Hawken's open beta starts soon, so no big loss.

Nickiepoo

Yup. When a game is no longer fun I stop playing it. If I'm not gonna play it there's no reason to keep it around. If they somehow change it drastically then I might reinstall it, but there's no chance of that happening.

This is how F2P works. Hawken's open beta starts soon, so no big loss.

Given that community reaction to the change is probably what they're tracking then thanks for helping the rest of us get a less grindy game.

This weeks trials really are some of the worst varients in the game though, so I can't blame non founders for raging.

Lime

Weekly screenshot so those without beta access can see the Raven:

496DF255E2BBDF6DF63B9BFFC567B8C4.jpg

I just got a beta invite. Totally new to this. Last MW I played was like MW4 or something.

Any tips for the n00b on MW Online? The key controls don't look too intimidating...being an old school gamer and all.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just got a beta invite. Totally new to this. Last MW I played was like MW4 or something.

Any tips for the n00b on MW Online? The key controls don't look too intimidating...being an old school gamer and all.

Stick with the team when you roll out at first and don't wander off if you're not in a scout mech. If you're in an assault, just remember little guys can run around your back quite easily so get used to minding the terrain.

The pace of the game is very measured so long as you don't charge right into the middle of the enemy team.

Some teams don't leave anyone to mind the store and allow their base to get capped almost immediately, lol. Tho this seems to be changing.

Alright..for starters, I'll stick with the group and maybe go with a heavy or assault mech. I typically hated piloting heavy mechs. I prefer those in the 70 tonner range for a mix of mobility and firepower. I do like light mech likes Raven and Jenner though..looks like I'll try them out later on.

sp3000

Buy a Catapult K2

Put on an XL Engine

Put on 2 Gauss Rifles

Profit with the most overpowered mech in the game

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Weekly screenshot so those without beta access can see the Raven:
Damn that's awesome. I really wish these guys were also designing the mechs for Mechwarrior Tactics. The people doing those are freaking idiots, creating like Transformers or something.

Lime

Damn that's awesome. I really wish these guys were also designing the mechs for Mechwarrior Tactics. The people doing those are freaking idiots, creating like Transformers or something.

I feel you. Their designs have put me off completely. It looks so fucking terrible.

627.jpg

kagete

Soooo there's pretty much no point to using my Founder's Atlas. From 0 credits at last patch, if I lose a match in a stomp, I don't even make enough credits to fully rearm my mech. with mild defeats I get 8000-10000 total after repairs/rearms. Playing Trial mechs can get 4-6x as much... What point is there to using the founders again???

Zaptruder

Banned
Soooo there's pretty much no point to using my Founder's Atlas. From 0 credits at last patch, if I lose a match in a stomp, I don't even make enough credits to fully rearm my mech. with mild defeats I get 8000-10000 total after repairs/rearms. Playing Trial mechs can get 4-6x as much... What point is there to using the founders again???

It's closed beta. It's going through balancing and play testing changes.

kagete

Yeah the devs must have read my complaint as they just patched C-Bill rewards per match to increase by 50-100%. I must say I'm impressed as the features and fixes are coming in real fast and meaty.

Lime

I made some Steam icons in celebration of the new login screen. Feel free to include it in the OP for this thread and the Open Beta one, Orayn.

Sorry about all the Clan mechs, but you simply cannot argue against good aesthetics.

mwocpdbs.png
mwo2jmdbd.png
mwo11w1du7.png
mwo12eqe8f.png
mwo13hhdnu.png
mwo14tdenr.png
mwo3p4epl.png
mwo429d67.png
mwo5fqcnv.png
mwo6z8f82.png
mwo7jrf4q.png
mwo8qve8s.png
mwo9kseo7.png
mwo1038ctz.png

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
... The silhouettes and colours are ... no it does matter. It still matters, because those tactics mechs still look like Mech Assault turds that didn't flush.

Yeah, this is their stock Catapult CPLT C-1:

Tactics_Catapult_zps6dc2fbbc.jpg

Lines have been crossed when the LRM-15s look like tacked on Gatling guns. Who could butcher such a simple and iconic mech?

And now back to good art.....

I made some Steam icons in celebration of the new login screen. Feel free to include it in the OP for this thread and the Open Beta one, Orayn.

Sorry about all the Clan mechs, but you simply cannot argue against good aesthetics.

mwocpdbs.png
mwo2jmdbd.png
mwo11w1du7.png
mwo12eqe8f.png
mwo13hhdnu.png
mwo14tdenr.png
mwo3p4epl.png
mwo429d67.png
mwo5fqcnv.png
mwo6z8f82.png
mwo7jrf4q.png
mwo8qve8s.png
mwo9kseo7.png
mwo1038ctz.png
Dude those are awesome! Oh, the Marauder.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah, this is their stock Catapult CPLT C-1:

Tactics_Catapult_zps6dc2fbbc.jpg

Lines have been crossed when the LRM-15s look like tacked on Gatling guns. Who could butcher such a simple and iconic mech?

What the fuck am I looking at?

Wait I get the joke. The Mechwarrior Tactics designs are actually from the wildly inaccurate-to-real-life Immortal Warrior movies in the Battletech universe.

That's right. I choose to believe this.

Zaptruder

Banned
What the fuck am I looking at?

Wait I get the joke. The Mechwarrior Tactics designs are actually from the wildly inaccurate-to-real-life Immortal Warrior movies in the Battletech universe.

That's right. I choose to believe this.

It really is atrocious isn't it?

If I had a stick and was in the close proximity of the art director for MW Tactics (and all the art design decision making people involved in this traversty) - I would beat them with it around their heads and necks.

A massage so to speak. Should improve the blood flow to their heads that might better avoid such travesty in future.

Nickiepoo

Buy a Catapult K2

Put on an XL Engine

Put on 2 Gauss Rifles

Profit with the most overpowered mech in the game

Until you die once and have a 3mil repair bill.

For a start you're not stuck with the stock RS. But even then, assuming a 50/50 live/die ratio you're still looking generally at 50k per match after repairs vs 35k for trial mechs, and that's before last nights update.

Lime

Until you die once and have a 3mil repair bill.

For a start you're not stuck with the stock RS. But even then, assuming a 50/50 live/die ratio you're still looking generally at 50k per match after repairs vs 35k for trial mechs, and that's before last nights update.

Yesterday's update provided more C-bills per match, but I still haven't managed to pilot a XL engine after the last reset. Currently I have to use my Raven's 175 standard engine on my gaussapult, which makes me slower than an Atlas.

Nickiepoo

Yesterday's update provided more C-bills per match, but I still haven't managed to pilot a XL engine after the last reset. Currently I have to use my Raven's 175 standard engine on my gaussapult, which makes me slower than an Atlas.

Good. Exotic equipment SHOULD be limited. This bodes well for Clan tech down the line.

I mean, it's a sacrifice, an XL Guass cat IS a powerful build (honestly, an XL is pretty much a straight upgrade for a guass cat), if you want to risk the cost, that's your call. It's 8v8, one player in a really tricked out mech CAN make the difference, they just have to be ready to pay the bill.

I used to use an XL Jenner and Dragon and Hunchie, and felt that those mechs were only useful with said XLs. But now that every jenner isn't moving 140 and every Hunchie isn't a laserboat fastback I'm actually liking the chassis more in their closer to default configurations.

Top Bottom