• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Game makes me want to read more classic fiction. What the heck is the hold up with Catalyst releasing more books, they took down all the old stuff from Amazon.

dionysus

Yaldog
Game makes me want to read more classic fiction. What the heck is the hold up with Catalyst releasing more books, they took down all the old stuff from Amazon.

I just picked up a dark ages book because of this game. I just have to say that I probably will look for some of the out of print stuff, the Ulric Kerensky. Victor Davion, Phelan Kell era universe seems much more interesting then this goody goody Republic of the Sphere crap.

Woorloog

Banned
So the trebuchet is going to work exactly like the hunchback variant with 4 energy and 2 missile hardpoints.

Well, it is 5 tons lighter, a variant can have jump jets, it has considerably less energy hardpoints and likely more missile ones, and whether the variant with ballistics is in game is not known...
Then there are torso and arm twist angles, the speed of that... I don't think it is going to be that similar.
Of course the way the system works, most mechs end up pretty similar in the end if you just look at their weapons. The default Trebuchet is like the Catapult-C1, with one less medium laser.

I'm not sure I really get the trebuchet.
It seems to be a medium LRM mech, but LRMs are pretty weak at the moment. I'm not sure how you fit large LRM racks on a 45 ton mech without sacrificing a lot of armour/engine space.

I guess speed is going to be important. If it's more like a Cicada than a Hunchback then it could be a good hit'n'run mech. Except you'll never outrun the ECM raven/commandos that'll be targeting you.

The learning curve is certainly tough. I can't imagine what it's like for someone who never played any of the older games.
Basic rules are: Take it steady, only shoot when you know you'll hit, don't get caught alone.
The trial mechs have terrible weapon combinations and terrible heat management and many have slow engines and/or weak armour.
The weapon groupings on the trial mechs are probably the worst things for newbies. You really want to start in a mech with just 2 or 3 fire groups (so they easily map to your mouse buttons).
Ironically, player-customised mechs are usually much easier to pilot than the trial mechs.

The more mechs they release, the more you are going to have hard time picking between them or telling em apart when it comes to their purpose. Same happened with the tabletop where many mechs put in felt like they served no true purpose or it was hard to find reason for it's existence. There is only so much you can do with the mechs before it gets redundant. The whole thing about giving mechs quirks could be neat though to give them a slight uniqueness, but after so many mechs get added, it will in some cases be purely cosmetic preferences. Preclan era also had alot of mechs that had nearly identical profiles.

dionysus

Yaldog
The fact that they are allowing customization before the Clan invasion makes it just about hardpoints and there are only so many combos for a specific tonnage you can come up with.

I really really want my Mad Cat.

Zaptruder

Banned
The more mechs they release, the more you are going to have hard time picking between them or telling em apart when it comes to their purpose. Same happened with the tabletop where many mechs put in felt like they served no true purpose or it was hard to find reason for it's existence. There is only so much you can do with the mechs before it gets redundant. The whole thing about giving mechs quirks could be neat though to give them a slight uniqueness, but after so many mechs get added, it will in some cases be purely cosmetic preferences. Preclan era also had alot of mechs that had nearly identical profiles.

Eh. I imagine a bit of it was about selling toys and merchandise, even if that never really panned out in a big way for them.

It's nice to have more mechs than less anyway!

Llyranor

I finally bought a centurion CN9-D. Given its high default engine, it can be multirole. Either the traditional generalist long/close range support, or putting an XL in that and make it a fast striker pushing >100kph (love ther LBX/SRM combo hahahaha)

For the newcomers, don't be too intimidated! Join the MWO-GAF steamgroup, and feel free to ask us questions! We'll gladly teach you the ropes through one of the TS servers too.

dionysus

Yaldog
(love ther LBX/SRM combo hahahaha)

For the newcomers, don't be too intimidated! Join the MWO-GAF steamgroup, and feel free to ask us questions! We'll gladly teach you the ropes through one of the TS servers too.

What is the difference between a LBX and SRM in reality? Both functions as short range shotguns (though one is called missiles) with many chances to crit right?

And I am now the 4th member of NWO-GAF.

Llyranor

LBX has more tonnage (significantly more), faster reloading and projectile velocity, less heat, less spread (so a bit better at longer ranges, but it's still ultimately a short range weapon). It does 10 dmg (1 per pellet). I find it easier to hit lights than with SRMs.

Srm4 is 10dmg, 6 is 15. The main advantage of srms is their relatively low wt compared to damage potential, and the ability of some mechs can carry multiple. In large numbers they can be devastating.

I like the LBX. Honestly, it's a bit underpowered and shouldn't be used as a primary weapon. I like to use it in conjunction with srms for the extra punch, though. I usually use it on fast mechs like the dragon or the cicada; I find it more useful with hit-and-run builds >100kph. I have one on my cataphract supporting an AC20; seems to work well enough, but more importantly it's fun!

The thing it needs (which TT has) is the ability to carry slug ammo for it. Being able to switch btw spread and single-shot fire would make it a very versatile weapon, as it's SUPPOSED to be

Tamanon

Banned
I just picked up a dark ages book because of this game. I just have to say that I probably will look for some of the out of print stuff, the Ulric Kerensky. Victor Davion, Phelan Kell era universe seems much more interesting then this goody goody Republic of the Sphere crap.

I'm honestly shocked the Stackpole books have been taken off the Kindle store. They're pretty damn fun, must be a licensing issue now. The regular Battletech universe in general was just more fleshed out than the Dark Age stuff. Dark Age seems to focus more on smaller, more personal conflicts. Battletech focused on large wars and a ton of political drama.

A LOT of the digital Catalyst fiction was riddled with typos, spelling errors, fucked up sentence structure and poor editing in general.

It was frustrating as it was to the point of detracting from the story, in some cases.

The three compilation novels of new Battlecorps content is, however, pretty solid. It's worth picking up the three of those.

Re: Dark Ages fiction. Yeah, it's much worse in general. Less interesting, less political. I wouldn't even bother. I'm trying to complete a set of the classic Battletech era fiction novels, from Decision at Thunder Rift through Endgame. I have about half of them.

Luckily they're super easy to find at second hand bookstores and not worth shit, so collecting them is super cheap.

Eh. I imagine a bit of it was about selling toys and merchandise, even if that never really panned out in a big way for them.

It's nice to have more mechs than less anyway!

In a sense yes, it gave them more selling options for figs though it's never been a game that sold huge amounts of figs, lot of people would play with standees or counters even. Another part was just large amounts of fiction and rpg stuff too. Some of it could translate to the video game form better if they continue to add more detail to the game as lot of things that set certain mechs apart were minor differences. Same mech, but harder to hit, yet on paper it usually didn't translate rulewise as well.

A LOT of the digital Catalyst fiction was riddled with typos, spelling errors, fucked up sentence structure and poor editing in general.

It was frustrating as it was to the point of detracting from the story, in some cases.

The three compilation novels of new Battlecorps content is, however, pretty solid. It's worth picking up the three of those.

Re: Dark Ages fiction. Yeah, it's much worse in general. Less interesting, less political. I wouldn't even bother. I'm trying to complete a set of the classic Battletech era fiction novels, from Decision at Thunder Rift through Endgame. I have about half of them.

Luckily they're super easy to find at second hand bookstores and not worth shit, so collecting them is super cheap.

Yea I know they had lot of issues, but don't see why they didn't continue to release more books and they also stopped doing print versions of the novels which they started to release as well. They still put out the dark age stuff though so assume it's a rights issue since the former Wizkids line of stuff is not affected.

Giolon

oh boy those new camo spec prices are insane :/

Well, you get to keep them forever instead of having to pay every time you change them. They're only 2-3 times as much as the costs before, so if you like to change your camo often it's going to cost you a lot less money over time.

Plus, if you really want, you can still buy camo specs with a single-use application for 75MC only.

Seems like nothing but an improvement to me.

Lime

New info screen (not mine, since I don't suck at taking screenshots):

team_stats.png

death.png

player_stats.png

Well, you get to keep them forever instead of having to pay every time you change them. They're only 2-3 times as much as the costs before, so if you like to change your camo often it's going to cost you a lot less money over time.

Plus, if you really want, you can still buy camo specs with a single-use application for 75MC only.

Seems like nothing but an improvement to me.

I thought they were exclusive to the mech only? But then it makes matters a bit easier I guess.

Llyranor

It is per mech chassis, which makes it kind of expensive still. At least you unlock colors for all your mechs for a one-time price (incl. Cbills for basic!)

Woorloog

Banned
The thing it needs (which TT has) is the ability to carry slug ammo for it. Being able to switch btw spread and single-shot fire would make it a very versatile weapon, as it's SUPPOSED to be

Indeed. And the Clan's really need that function, they don't have standard autocannons, instead using LB-X's versatility.

Of course giving the weapon ability to choose the slug would make it superior to the normal AC10. Sure, other ACs would still get use but not AC10. Alternate ammunition for normal ACs might make AC10 still desirable, assuming the special munitions would be worth using.

Zaptruder

Banned
Indeed. And the Clan's really need that function, they don't have standard autocannons, instead using LB-X's versatility.

Of course giving the weapon ability to choose the slug would make it superior to the normal AC10. Sure, other ACs would still get use but not AC10. Alternate ammunition for normal ACs might make AC10 still desirable, assuming the special munitions would be worth using.

LB-X could have reduced ROF to compensate for their versatility and reduced weight.

So if the current AC/10 has a 2.5 cooldown, the LB-X can have a 2.8 second cooldown.

Nickiepoo

In TT the standard AC10 is more accurate than the LBX, even when the latter is firing slugs, as I understand it.

I also remember the standard having access to more ammo types (like flares) but I can't find reference to that now.

Woorloog

Banned
In TT the standard AC10 is more accurate than the LBX, even when the latter is firing slugs, as I understand it.

I also remember the standard having access to more ammo types (like flares) but I can't find reference to that now.

It was more accurate? Huh. Didn't remember that one. But then i don't have the latest rules, i have Finnish version of Second Edition (ie first BattleTech, not BattleDroids) rules, and i've read TRO with Pulse Lasers and other new weapons... 2750?

As for alternate ammo, well, Sarna has a list of those. Quote many of those... And naturally they cite certain rulebooks.

Woorloog

Banned
Actually, yeah, you're right. I understood the rules wrong.

In which case, what IS the disadvantage of the LBX in TT? Literally just the alt ammo types?

IIRC, there is no disadvantage (other than cost) for LB-X ACs for the Spheroids. LB-Xs can't use non-standard ammunition but then those have never been really popular (especially outside FedSun, if i recall correctly, as NAIS was one to pioneer their use. But don't quote me on this).
This the reason the Clans dropped normal Autocannons, didn't bother refining them, instead focusing solely on LB-X class autocannons (and Ultras of course).

EDIT that said, the IS did make Light Autocannons, primarily because they could use the special munitions as well.
And of course there are Hypervelocity Autocannons, but those are like Ultras, they can't use special munitions.

EDIT2: LB-X 10 has slightly less range than AC10. That is, max range. Its medium and long range are longer than AC10's though.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/LB_10-X_AC
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Autocannon/10

Zaptruder

Banned
Jump Jets are so very potent now.

They can help spread damage around the mech more evenly (use that leg armor), help you get into battle and out of battle much more effectively, let you camp high out of reach places, and even do the occasional pop and snipe.

Jump Jets are so very potent now.

They can help spread damage around the mech more evenly (use that leg armor), help you get into battle and out of battle much more effectively, let you camp high out of reach places, and even do the occasional pop and snipe.

Haha yeah in one of the matches when we were facing each other earlier you and I ended up having a 3D duel on the side of one of the forest colony snow mountains. Felt like we were playing a game of leapfrog.
Its comet btw heh

El'Kharn

an annoying thing has started to happen to me since the new patch. it only ever happens maybe once or twice a day. my screen locks up like the games crashed but if i alt tab it unlocks after 30 seconds or so. pretty funny when it happens and it unlocks and you are strolling thru the enemy lines getting shot at by everyone :(

Game might not be atlaswarrior anymore, but still so many matches where your up against a wall of assaults and it's pretty annoying as the matchmaking is obviously not even.

Nickiepoo

Is the matchmaking not matching assaults with assaults for you? As in, for every hostile atlas are you getting an Atlas/Awesome/Stalker?

dionysus

Yaldog
Does the hazy yellow screen that makes the game unplayable happen to everyone? I have seen it referenced in chat on multiple occasions, so it isn't just my rig. The bitter AMD card owner that I am I want to blame this on Nvidia optimization and moneyhats.

I have also experienced two bugs since patch. One that happens every game in the targetting box appearing at a fixed place on the screen, not where the actual mech is. Seems to happen when a mech I have targetted loses LOS with the team and disappears, then upon reappearance the targetting box is messed up. The other is only a partially updating minimap, which has only happened to me once. With that bug only certain things update on the minimap. For me torso twist and heading didn't update. But I could still see enemy and friendly mechs.

Right now my main variant is an upgraded CTF-2X using 2 SRM 6, ultra AC5, and two large lasers. Thoughts?

On the subject of matchmaking, I have definitely been on grossly unbalanced teams in terms of tonnage.

Woorloog

Banned
Does the hazy yellow screen that makes the game unplayable happen to everyone? I have seen it referenced in chat on multiple occasions, so it isn't just my rig. The bitter AMD card owner that I am I want to blame this on Nvidia optimization and moneyhats.

NVIDIA card (laptop) here, have the bug sometimes.
It is a game bug. No solution yet.

Lime

Game might not be atlaswarrior anymore, but still so many matches where your up against a wall of assaults and it's pretty annoying as the matchmaking is obviously not even.

I don't know if this is a difference in time-zones between what type of weight classes are most common, but in my experience I usually end up with a wide-range of classes. For me, it's most commonly 1-2 assaults, 3 heavies, 2 mediums, and 1-2 lights. I play as a Raven or a Catapult or a Cataphract.

If I do encounter the rare assaults-only match (with me as a heavy or a light), it's usually so far in between that I've already tried out 2-3 matches with 4-5 lights.

Woorloog

Banned
Guys, I swear an actual OT will be made at some point. Haven't been working on it like I promised, sorry. :p

Suspicious claim.

Seriously, i'd recommend to aiming it for when the Faction/Community Warfare launches, without those the game isn't really special, just death match. Just my opinion of course.

I don't know if this is a difference in time-zones between what type of weight classes are most common, but in my experience I usually end up with a wide-range of classes. For me, it's most commonly 1-2 assaults, 3 heavies, 2 mediums, and 1-2 lights. I play as a Raven or a Catapult or a Cataphract.

If I do encounter the rare assaults-only match (with me as a heavy or a light), it's usually so far in between that I've already tried out 2-3 matches with 4-5 lights.

Medium mechs? What are those. I never see medium mechs :p

Lime

Guys, I swear an actual OT will be made at some point. Haven't been working on it like I promised, sorry. :p

If you need any help say the word, Orayn. And remember the Steam icons and maybe even a Google excel sheet with pilot names + Gaf nicks.

:lol

It's very common in my experience to see one Hunch or one Cent each match. They don't pose that big of a threat, but damn they can be annoying in terms of speed and medium damage.

A well-coordinated group of 2-3 Hunchs can carry an entire team. At least from what I've sometimes seen.

Woorloog

Banned

You sure? Remember that bright red and white mech whose arm you shot off and then you didn't see him being a problem afterwards?

EDIT, does the current friend/matchmaking system allow groups of two or three to look for a game? Trying to get a friend to play this but it is going to be worthless if i can't play with him.

dionysus

Yaldog
Medium mechs seem pretty powerful to me. I like playing my hunchback. And once I get enough money to upgrade to XL engine it will be nasty in brawls.

Fast enough to kill lights, fast enough to hit and run, enough power to take a bunch of armor off the heavier mechs.

Are we beyond the point now where we can still expect resets on our mechs, c-bills, etc?

Zaptruder

Banned
Medium mechs seem pretty powerful to me. I like playing my hunchback. And once I get enough money to upgrade to XL engine it will be nasty in brawls.

Fast enough to kill lights, fast enough to hit and run, enough power to take a bunch of armor off the heavier mechs.

Are we beyond the point now where we can still expect resets on our mechs, c-bills, etc?

Yes. This is a large part of the reason that the game is considered 'open beta' now, even though it's quite clearly still in a solid closed beta stage at this point in time.

They didn't want to keep it closed and have all the founders players accruing massive advantages against F2P players... but they didn't want players to have their mechs keep getting reset every few weeks or month or so.

Nickiepoo

Don't waste money on an XL for a Hunch if you're expecting to last more than 5 seconds in a close range brawl. Every Atlas, Awesome, Cataphract, K2 and Cent that sees you will be trying to hit your right torso.

Top Bottom