• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

dionysus

Yaldog
Do we just have one ELO or an ELO per weight class?

Cause I am better than my Elo win I play lights and mediums and worse than my Elo if I play heavies and assaults. Since I play mostly lights, I'd guess my Elo is slowly rising and if I ever choose to play the bigger mechs I will be even more of a drag to my team.

On another note, anyone have a favorite CTF-2X build. With SRM nerf I am redesigning it. I used to run 2 LL, uac5, and 2 SRM 6s. I am thinking of upgrading to XL engine (which would hurt what I can put in the ballistic slot) because with my playstyle if I am not at at least 80 kph I suck.

Nickiepoo

Per class.

For the 2X 3mls, AC20, double SRM6s. I haven't used it since the nerf but it's still a hunchie 4G and 4SP rolled into one at 70-80 kph.

SRMs are just a backup so it's effectiveness shouldn't have taken a big dip.

I really should try this mech out again though, it's been a bit too long.

Just got into the game, and bought my first mech.

I'm running a Hunchback 4SP with 5 mlas, 2 srm6, and a standard 450 engine. Slowly getting the hang of my role.

Thinking about saving up for a gaussapault since I used to like running dual gauss in some of the older games for fun.

dionysus

Yaldog
So when Community Warfare comes out, any interest in GAFfers sticking together in a faction? My vote would be as a Merc Corps or FRR (who doesn't love space vikings even if we know they are doomed.)

I think my next mech is going to be the Trebuchet 7k, probably going 2MPL, AC10, SRM4 and a 300XL. No jump jets though but the 7M would be boring to me as it is so similar to about half my mechbay with its energy and missile hardpoints.

Woorloog

Banned
GAF mercenary group sounds good.
EU or US though? Or mixed? Probably the latter, i doubt there's otherwise enough of us, right? EU player here.

Name for the unit... GAF Mercenaries? GAF Hussars? Let's figure out something that fits the BattleTech universe.

Llyranor

Not committing to a faction until we get details on CW/clans. Zap and No Style are already Kurita traitors, though. Kurita sucks.

The 7K isn't bad. Can be a fun mech. You can do a similar build with the CN9-D too if you want. But, for me, Treb is all about the JJ's wooooooooo!

Thinking about saving up for a gaussapault since I used to like running dual gauss in some of the older games for fun.
Gaussapult or jagergauss. Advantage of the cat is that the weapons would be on the hard-to-hit side torsos, so the weapons would be harder to disable (and it'd be safer to fit an XL on it). But, I prefer the Jager for gauss sniping. The high arms makes peak-a-boo sniping much much easier. You don't expose half your mech to take a shot. Also, since they're arm weapons, you need to actually put armor there.

dionysus

Yaldog
EU or US though? Or mixed? Probably the latter, i doubt there's otherwise enough of us, right? EU player here.

Name for the unit... GAF Mercenaries? GAF Hussars? Let's figure out something that fits the BattleTech universe.

Only thing I worry about in the Mercenary group is that we might need to expand a lot further than just GAF to be able to truly experience the benefits of merc play. Faction play seems a lot more casual. You just fight in regular matches, with Mercs you have to bid on contracts that require a certain level of loyalty points.

teepo

from the latest dev Q&A:

SgtKinCaiD: Can we have a command chair post that explain CLEARLY your statement on the regional server matter ?

A: Sure, when we have a final direction. For now it’s pretty straightforward. Each region will have their own MWO server(s). Most players can create accounts on each server. Some regions will be locked and only available to players located in said region. There will most likely be no central account concept, where you are able to select the region you want to play in. That’s the super quick high level.

:(

Woorloog

Banned
Only thing I worry about in the Mercenary group is that we might need to expand a lot further than just GAF to be able to truly experience the benefits of merc play. Faction play seems a lot more casual. You just fight in regular matches, with Mercs you have to bid on contracts that require a certain level of loyalty points.
Well, which faction? Everyone here has their own preferrences for sure, no?
Don't ask me to anything but Capellan Confederation group... Well, maybe FedSun but...
from the latest dev Q&A:

SgtKinCaiD: Can we have a command chair post that explain CLEARLY your statement on the regional server matter ?

A: Sure, when we have a final direction. For now it’s pretty straightforward. Each region will have their own MWO server(s). Most players can create accounts on each server. Some regions will be locked and only available to players located in said region. There will most likely be no central account concept, where you are able to select the region you want to play in. That’s the super quick high level.

:(
Damn...

dionysus

Yaldog
Well, which faction? Everyone here has their own preferrences for sure, no?
Don't ask me to anything but Capellan Confederation group... Well, maybe FedSun but...

Damn...

Sucks on having to create separate accounts for different regions...

Even merc units have to pick a faction to earn loyalty points too.

Woorloog

Banned
Haha.

Seriously though, like Llyranor says, will probably have to wait for details before deciding if a GAF group is realistic. We've got a few regulars who meet up most days, but if a group requires more than that to get the advantages then it might not be worth the hassle.

Loyalty is fleeting if one is a merc, doesn't matter what faction i'd join if i were a merc. If not a merc, Capellan Confederation gets my loyalty.

Hopefully the system works fine for more casual players as well, without having to be a lone wolf.

teepo

given what they've recently announced/discussed, by the time CW is fully functional, being a lone wolf mercenary is seemingly going to be more of a disadvantage than anything else since they don't even know exactly what it entails yet. just make sure you don't join kurita.

Creative director Bryan Ekman also said that the team is exploring the idea of pirate-type of Lone Wolf that doesn't care for either faction and thoroughly enjoys gaining glory from harassing both.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78482/mechwarrior-online-to-launch-in-late-summer

No_Style

just make sure you don't join kurita.

Is it because we pilot in the nude?

DQ79m_GH.png

I was looking for a funny Draconis Combine GIF and found this. It will do.

Woorloog

Banned
FRR, Kurita and Davion I believe.

FRR, Draconis Combine and Lyran... eh, well, Lyran something, Alliance? Wasn't Federated Commonwealth by that time anymore.

FRR gets decimated by the Clans, a newborn nation that didn't last but a few years. Gets mostly integrated into Clan Ghost Bear.

A friend's been running a tabletop battletech rpg for a few years, which has ingrained a Davion loyalty into me since my main character's my longest lasting character in an rpg and is based out of Robinson. Admittedly, I've also done Blakist, Comstar, Liao, FRR, and merc stuff with other characters, so I can be happy with plenty.

Could be content with most GAF loyalties, 'cept Kurita. The Draconis March can't put up with that.

Liao would be hilarious. I also enjoy me some FRR. Running with a Davion tag at the moment, though.

dionysus

Yaldog
So I went with the Centurion D and went 0-7. Whereas my stats with the raven 3L and centurion D are below. Order is games played/wins/losses/win ratio/kills/deaths/kd ratio

Mech.gif

Is the Raven 3L just that overpowered because apparently I suck otherwise. I need to play some in my Jenner to confirm whether or not I am just good at lights or if it is just the 3L.

Nickiepoo

The 3L is still overpowered, (my own has a k/d of 6.3, my average is about 4), it's just not as overpowered as it used to be with hitpoint fixing and laser lag fixes.

You did get unlucky with your cent though, even if you're horrible you shouldn't be losing 7 games in a row.

dionysus

Yaldog
So merc units will have some monetization involved, there won't be completely f2p merc units. For me it would depend on how bad it is. I doubt it will be expensive.

The 3L is still overpowered, (my own has a k/d of 6.3, my average is about 4), it's just not as overpowered as it used to be with hitpoint fixing and laser lag fixes.

You did get unlucky with your cent though, even if you're horrible you shouldn't be losing 7 games in a row.

You ain't lying. There were some really WTF games. I have never had a run like that. I played some yesterday in the centurion and had a positive w/l ratio.

Llyranor

Maaaan, I love the ERPPC spider so freaking much. I'm a bloody ninja in that thing.

So merc units will have some monetization involved, there won't be completely f2p merc units. For me it would depend on how bad it is. I doubt it will be expensive.
There's been some clarification on twitter, apparently. Joining a merc unit will not require a premium account. But, there may (as in, they are looking into it) be additional CW rewards (eg. MC) for players that do have a premium account

BTW, I love the Centurion D. I played it a bit to good success yesterday. My favorite build is XL300, LBX10, 2srm4, 2medlas. Fast hit-and-run mech with a good punch, hehehe.

dionysus

Yaldog
Maaaan, I love the ERPPC spider so freaking much. I'm a bloody ninja in that thing.

There's been some clarification on twitter, apparently. Joining a merc unit will not require a premium account. But, there may (as in, they are looking into it) be additional CW rewards (eg. MC) for players that do have a premium account

BTW, I love the Centurion D. I played it a bit to good success yesterday. My favorite build is XL300, LBX10, 2srm4, 2medlas. Fast hit-and-run mech with a good punch, hehehe.

Isn't the controversy that it will cost real cash to start a merc unit though, not specifically to join one?

I am running two mpl, ac 10, and srm 4. Not because this is the optimal loadout but because I haven't used mpl and ac 10s yet on any mech and I am experimenting. So far my conclusion is that mpl need to be 1.5t (clan mpl will probably be overpowered) and ac 10s are nice but until ac state rewind is implemented probably too heavy and they need more ammo per ton to be balanced.

Llyranor

I dislike pulse lasers in general. Too much heat and tonnage. They need to decrease the amount of time it takes for them to deal full damage for them to be worth it, I think.

The controversy was poor reporting by Polygon (surprise surprise!) that it would require a premium account to join a merc unit. It seems people wouldn't be that opposed to a one-time fee to create a new unit.

Isn't the controversy that it will cost real cash to start a merc unit though, not specifically to join one?

Meh, don't really see the issue. Most F2P games seem to limit the creation of guilds and such to paid members. As long as F2P can join them, then I don't see an issue.

akira28

So I went with the Centurion D and went 0-7. Whereas my stats with the raven 3L and centurion D are below. Order is games played/wins/losses/win ratio/kills/deaths/kd ratio

Mech.gif

Is the Raven 3L just that overpowered because apparently I suck otherwise. I need to play some in my Jenner to confirm whether or not I am just good at lights or if it is just the 3L.

RVN3L is currently in the mech sweet spot. It's hands down the most durable of all the Ravens. It's the fastest capable, and it has 3 laser and 2 missile hardpoints that allow you to use the 2 most energy dense for their weight, and damage efficient weapons systems. The MLaser or MPulseLaser and the Streak SRM.

So in effect you have a very fast mech with a very slim profile, that can only be hit if you anticipate where he will BE with a .5-2 second delay. And this mech uses weapons where you only have to hold the button down and stay close to the rear of your target. The most dangerous of which is auto-targetting and auto-firing...

And if you don't mention the Raven hitbox issue, the netcode latency issue, you still have to deal with ECM making these things impossible to target unless they're within short range weapons range, in which case they already have their primary advantages out front.

So it's not that you're bad, the Raven3L makes it reallly really easy to be good. And piloting some of the other more balanced mechs can be a shock. Try maining a Rvn2X for real light mech experience.

dionysus

Yaldog
RVN3L is currently in the mech sweet spot. It's hands down the most durable of all the Ravens. It's the fastest capable, and it has 3 laser and 2 missile hardpoints that allow you to use the 2 most energy dense for their weight, and damage efficient weapons systems. The MLaser or MPulseLaser and the Streak SRM.

So in effect you have a very fast mech with a very slim profile, that can only be hit if you anticipate where he will BE with a .5-2 second delay. And this mech uses weapons where you only have to hold the button down and stay close to the rear of your target. The most dangerous of which is auto-targetting and auto-firing...

And if you don't mention the Raven hitbox issue, the netcode latency issue, you still have to deal with ECM making these things impossible to target unless they're within short range weapons range, in which case they already have their primary advantages out front.

So it's not that you're bad, the Raven3L makes it reallly really easy to be good. And piloting some of the other more balanced mechs can be a shock. Try maining a Rvn2X for real light mech experience.

Well the individual mech stats were obtained post raven hitbox fix and post laser state rewind fix, so I am not completely relying on the broken game for those stats. I didn't get my Raven until recently, I have played other mechs like the Hunchback 4SP extensively. I posted that screenshot because it was funny the stat disparity over a small game sample.

The main power of the 3L in its current state is the ECM + streak combo it allows and how devastating that is vs. other lights. I am fully willing to admit that at least 1/3rd to 1/2 of my raven kills are purely because it so utterly dominates non ECM lights. But right now the Raven is on much more equal footing vs. mediums, heavies, and assaults. And lights that focus on mls instead of missiles have a fighting chance at least.

dionysus

Yaldog
Patch notes.

http://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes

First is our Hero BattleMech Heavy Metal! Yes this 'Mech is pink and does really play music when you get a kill! This is the first time we have released the Hero Mech before the base variants (coming April 16th). Don't let the color stop you from buying it, though, we will eventually add changing Hero 'Mech colors.

Next we have added air-strike and artillery consumables. I think Conquest mode just got more interesting! Here is a pro tip: Use them for when a light is capping your base on Alpine and save yourself a walk back to your spawn!

New Thermal and Night Vision modes are in! They look amazing and are balanced for game play! No more BlueWarrior for you!

We also have cool new digital camo patterns for your 'Mech and more 'Mech Statues for your cockpit! Keep reading for other fixes and tweaks!

See you on the battlefield!

Highlander HGN-HM

- Tonnage: 90
- Engine: 275 XL Top Speed: 49.5 kph
- Max Engine Rating: 330
- Torso Movement:
- 90 degrees to each side
- 20 degrees up and down
- Arm Movement:
- 20 degrees to each side
- 30 degrees up and down
- Armor: 544 (Standard)
- Weapons & Equipment:
- Left Arm: 3 Medium Lasers
- Left Torso: LRM 20, SRM 6
- Right Arm: Gauss Rifle
- Internal Structure: Standard
- Hardpoints:
- Left Arm: 3 Energy
- Left Torso: 2 Missile, 1 AMS
- Right Arm: 2 Ballistic
- Heat Sinks: 13 Double
- Jump Jets: 5 (5 Max)
- ECM Capable?: No
- Module Slots: 2
- 30% C-Bill Bonus
- Plays a music clip from its head-mounted external speakers after an enemy kill

I really want this mech for the music after a kill. I wonder what song it is.

dionysus

Yaldog
Shouldn't be to bad since it will have a 60 second team cooldown between uses

That is only at the start of the match. It is 10s thereafter.

- At the start of the match, each team's cooldown timer counts down 60 seconds
- When a player activates an artillery or air strike, his team's cooldown timer starts to count down for 10 seconds

This seems like it could be abused but remember that the mech has to have line of sight on the strike area to call one in. So yea these are not going to be of any use on Alpine to prevent lights from capping points.

Cooldowns, line of sight, and being a consumable alone is going to prevent it fro. Being abused. Also some give a visual cue that its been called no? Remember seeing green smoke visual being shown off.

Cooldowns, line of sight, and being a consumable alone is going to prevent it fro. Being abused. Also some give a visual cue that its been called no? Remember seeing green smoke visual being shown off.

Yeah. I've been playing for a bit now. Haven't really seen it be used to much effect. There's some pink smoke on the ground wherever it's going to hit.

Zaptruder

Banned
All sorts of bugs introduced in patch. Can't even get the game loaded most of the time for me. I've managed to get in 2 out of 7 matches. The rest were black screens, with mechs stuck for 20+ minutes.

Managed to get training ground running a bunch of times though.

No_Style

The new vision modes are alright. Much nicer on the eyes in my opinion.

P.S - Sorry about the lack of response. I just checked in to patch.

Matchmaking has always been pretty quick, so you'll never wait too long to get in and playing. And no, Mad Cat and Bushwackers have not been added. Probably still a few months out.

Zaptruder

Banned
I just got a new rig this past weekend. Is there still a large community for this game and is Mad Cat or Bushwacker in?

The bushwacker is a 3060 mech. Been that the game is been played out in real time and it's currently 3050, you might see it in 10 years if the game is still around at that point.

Nickiepoo

Yeah, tell me about it. I love that crazy little mech. We'll probably never get to see the Uziel either unless they do some kind of time jump.

They would be out of their mind not to do some sort of time jump.

I'm sure it will happen.

Oh man I was keeping a tight rein on my MC spending as I wanted to wait until the game was more complete....but awww man that hot pink Highlander looks awesome. So tempted.

Evil fuckers for putting the Hero mech up first!!!

dionysus

Yaldog
Yeah, Clan Mech's aren't going to be in the game until the Clan Invasion, which is going to be some time later this year.

Probably late fall. Clan invasion will occur AFTER official release in the fall. Real Community Warfare (stage 2) I think is planned for august, and it will be initially Inner Sphere factions only. Stage 1 of CW is a joke, and I think that has been pushed back till May/June.

teepo

The bushwacker is a 3060 mech. Been that the game is been played out in real time and it's currently 3050, you might see it in 10 years if the game is still around at that point.

the game hasn't been playing out in realtime for quite some time, with some of the more hardcore vocal lore nuts on calling for piranha to roll back the timeline once the clanwars begin since at this point, we should have been knee-deep in it.

i could swear i read an apology by the lead designer for being overly-ambitious and admitting it was more of a constraint than anything. they'll still be following the lore pretty "closely" and they've hinted that there could possibly be a time jump after the first clan invasion.

Zaptruder

Banned
the game hasn't been playing out in realtime for quite some time, with some of the more hardcore vocal lore nuts on calling for piranha to roll back the timeline once the clanwars begin since at this point, we should have been knee-deep in it.

i could swear i read an apology by the lead designer for being overly-ambitious and admitting it was more of a constraint than anything. they'll still be following the lore pretty "closely" and they've hinted that there could possibly be a time jump after the first clan invasion.

Yeah, I was thinking it'd probably be a good idea for them to call a time stop at this point and restart the whole thing once they actually launch.

As it is now... there's pretty much no point to having things play out in real time.

To be honest, I really just want 3 time lines as match options.

3025. 3052. 3060. Bam. Classic Battle Tech captured.

Community Warfare is... meh whatevs man.

Top Bottom