• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

teepo

http://mwomercs.com/news/2013/04/649-2013-april-creative-director-update

Welcome to April! Teamplay takes a giant leap forward with the addition of new team structure elements. After reviewing the test branch, I'm incredibly excited to get this very important feature into the game. Since my last update, PAX East and GDC have come and gone. We have announced details about upcoming features like 12 V 12, Lobby, DirectX 11, UI 2.0 and Community Warfare. Along with a launch date of Late Summer 2013! This month we see the addition of several new features, consumables, and a new line of BattleMechs called Champions!

Champion BattleMechs
We’ve decided to add a new style of Hero BattleMech, one that represents the community – the Champion. Similar in nature to the Founder's BattleMechs, a Champion `Mech is based of an existing variant with a special permanent 5% XP boost and lower [MC] price point. Our first Champion BattleMech will be revealed on April 12th.

teepo

i wouldn't play with either one of them; they're both notorious for shooting their teammates in the back when their target is least expecting it and they'll pass the blame on to whomever is standing next to them. in my case, the guarantee i'll make to you if you choose to play with me and the rest of the crappers is that i'll be standing right in front of you before i unload rounds of ultra ac5's, srms and lasers into your sweet unsuspecting deliciously painted face -- that's a promise.

Zaptruder

Banned
i wouldn't play with either one of them; they're both notorious for shooting their teammates in the back when their target is least expecting it and they'll pass the blame on to whomever is standing next to them. in my case, the guarantee i'll make to you if you choose to play with me and the rest of the crappers is that i'll be standing right in front of you before i unload rounds of ultra ac5's, srms and lasers into your sweet unsuspecting deliciously painted face -- that's a promise.

Team Killing is at an all time high when Teepo is around. He's very much part of the "COME AT ME BRO" crowd.

Nickiepoo

Still bitter about your arm huh? :DDDD

Joined! Looking forward to dragging the team down at some point.

I just found out about the PC Gamer paint/camo pack and got that downloaded last night. Nice to be able to have some variety from default without spending MC or cbills.

After I get through mastering the hunchback, I'm debating trying an ecm cicada with dual PPCs, but might go for something heavier instead.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=36&l=35e60acee93f87942bdf164539836e76cc6fc8c4

Might be fun, but expect to get torn up by any lights that catch sight of you. You might be better off with a single PPC, 3MLs and a larger engine.

Good point.

Link? Do you need a subscription?

The promo is here, you submit your code here, and you can find most of the answers to the "prove your subscription question" here.

If you have issues with the question, refresh to get a new one! (Promo runs through October 10, 2014.) You get a camo type (though doesn't work on all mechs, apparently--I can use it on my hunchback, a friend can't on his raven) and a dark red, black, and a greyish-white paints.

dionysus

Yaldog
Trying to level with these trial mechs, such a disadvantage especially since I guess I am not in the newbie elo.

Edit. Wow, didn't know you couldn't unlock stuff in the trial mechs.

No_Style

If you have issues with the question, refresh to get a new one! (Promo runs through October 10, 2014.) You get a camo type (though doesn't work on all mechs, apparently--I can use it on my hunchback, a friend can't on his raven) and a dark red, black, and a greyish-white paints.

Thanks for this!

No_Style

The UI bugs are so annoying. Seems to be getting worse after each patch as well. Everything from messed up maps, broken friend-or-foe identifiers and even corrupt Conquest meters.

Nickiepoo

This patch has been particually bad for that, yeah. I guess they rolled out some new back end stuff that had a knock-on effect.

teepo

yes, you'll be averaging around 100,000 cbills per match and depending on which mech you have your sights on, it can takes hours to days to come up with the funds to not only purchase the chassis, but to fully upgrade and fit it to your liking. the whole process can be accelerated through purchasing premium time which offers both cbill (main form of currency) and exp bonuses or you can just skip all that and purchase any mech with real moneyz

Zaptruder

Banned
Do flamers overheat the target mech faster?
Only slightly. They overheat your mech more.

The greatest value to flamers are that they obscure the targets vision.

... when that's the greatest value, you can probably figure out that they're not really worth using.

Zaptruder

Banned
Having a lot of fun with this.

Great. Join the "MechWarrior Online - GAF" group and play with us some time.

My MWO handle is also Zaptruder so feel free to friend.

Also, jump on Team Speak and this channel

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/60...chat-servers/page__view__findpost__p__1215853

Comstar NA server. We normally use that to chat with each other while playing.

Me, Llyranor, Nick, NoStyle and Teepo play nearly every day. Dionysus joins us occasionally too.

Nickiepoo

Only slightly. They overheat your mech more.

The greatest value to flamers are that they obscure the targets vision.

... when that's the greatest value, you can probably figure out that they're not really worth using.

Yeah, I've only seen one build that seems worthwhile to use a flamer and that's only because he coordinates with us to heat and disorientate a focused target in a small mech that can get in close.

...though it could be better for him to just use that heat/extra heatsink for firing his lasers but it's semi-useful and he's having fun so it's hard to argue.

I wish they would add native 360 controller support. I find the game impossible to play with mouse/keyboard due to some weirdness going on with it's mouse polling. Whenever I look left with my mouse it also looks down, and when I look right it also looks up. It's very discombobulating and it's not an issue I have really with any other games I've played recently (Hawken, Warframe, Defiance, etc). Started setting up my 360 controller only to find I couldn't map left and right trigger to different functions because the game treats them as a single axis...blah. I'd really like to play this but the control issues I'm having are really putting me off.

Zaptruder

Banned
I wish they would add native 360 controller support. I find the game impossible to play with mouse/keyboard due to some weirdness going on with it's mouse polling. Whenever I look left with my mouse it also looks down, and when I look right it also looks up. It's very discombobulating and it's not an issue I have really with any other games I've played recently (Hawken, Warframe, Defiance, etc). Started setting up my 360 controller only to find I couldn't map left and right trigger to different functions because the game treats them as a single axis...blah. I'd really like to play this but the control issues I'm having are really putting me off.

Posted your complaint in the workaround forum on MWOmercs.com

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/111474-mouse-control-issues-or-gamepad-solution/

Maybe someone will be able to help you find a fix for it.

Great. Join the "MechWarrior Online - GAF" group and play with us some time.

My MWO handle is also Zaptruder so feel free to friend.

Also, jump on Team Speak and this channel

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/60...chat-servers/page__view__findpost__p__1215853

Comstar NA server. We normally use that to chat with each other while playing.

Me, Llyranor, Nick, NoStyle and Teepo play nearly every day. Dionysus joins us occasionally too.

Now that I am back from my business trip I should start getting on more often.
Hopefully I can catch you guys this week.

Llyranor

Haven't played the game the past few days because I've been devouring Planescape Torment. Sorry guys!

Btw, looks like we get the Blackjack and a canyon map in May. Proper missile fix as well. Collisions isn't coming back any sooner than August, aww

Can't wait for the Highlander next week. I've been holding off on the Heavy Metal because I want to put an ac20 on the thing and make a jumpjet brawler assault mech.

Nickiepoo

Canyon

BHHms81CYAAz26x.jpg:large

dionysus

Yaldog
That's a really bad image.

It does look more interesting than Alpine though.

The game is better because of Alpine as it encourages more weapon loadout diversity and different tactics, but yea it is boring.

No_Style, do you run a HBK-4J? I remember spectating someone in the GAF group with a 4J that I thought had a pretty good loadout. I want the details.

No_Style

The game is better because of Alpine as it encourages more weapon loadout diversity and different tactics, but yea it is boring.

No_Style, do you run a HBK-4J? I remember spectating someone in the GAF group with a 4J that I thought had a pretty good loadout. I want the details.

I think that new crystals map does the same but with more diversity. Alpine is my least favorite map but I'm glad it's there.

And I do roll with a HBK-4J. It was my first mech & I made it with versatility in mind.

Grouped as follows: (1)ER PPC for punch & range, (2) SSRM2s for anti-lights or some random damage & (3) lasers for widdling down opponents. You can switch out the ER PPC for a regular one but I like ER PPC because it is actually useful a < 90m. It can run hot though.

teepo

here's to hopping they make LRM's useful again come next patch since it seems like in the current meta, if you're not in a premade of any sort, running a medium and even a light is suicidal given the continual rise of heavy and assault mechs being boated to the max. the current rage outside of AC20's and PPC's is having multiple Stalkers equipped with 4 or 5 large lasers and having at least two focus firing on you, you'll be cored within seconds and if you manage to survive, you're more than likely to die from a jager pilot who has been waiting in the shadows until you and the rest of your team have been beaten to a mush. i've been hearing horror stories from people 8 man pugging as well, experiencing entire teams running nothing more than that build and with in the current state of the game, there is no proper way of countering it. obviously my point is that LRM's were the proper counter to this, especially given that the hit boxes for both the Jager and Stalkers are pretty unforgiving when it comes to LRM damage which was the obvious cost to having them capable of boating in the first place.

here's to hopping they make LRM's useful again come next patch since it seems like in the current meta, if you're not in a premade of any sort, running a medium and even a light is suicidal given the continual rise of heavy and assault mechs being boated to the max. the current rage outside of AC20's and PPC's is having multiple Stalkers equipped with 4 or 5 large lasers and having at least two focus firing on you, you'll be cored within seconds and if you manage to survive, you're more than likely to die from a jager pilot who has been waiting in the shadows until you and the rest of your team have been beaten to a mush. i've been hearing horror stories from people 8 man pugging as well, experiencing entire teams running nothing more than that build and with in the current state of the game, there is no proper way of countering it. obviously my point is that LRM's were the proper counter to this, especially given that the hit boxes for both the Jager and Stalkers are pretty unforgiving with it comes to LRM damage which was the obvious cost to having them capable of boating in the first place.

I think they said that a more permanent missile fix was coming in May on the latest NGNG podcast.

dionysus

Yaldog
here's to hopping they make LRM's useful again come next patch since it seems like in the current meta, if you're not in a premade of any sort, running a medium and even a light is suicidal given the continual rise of heavy and assault mechs being boated to the max. the current rage outside of AC20's and PPC's is having multiple Stalkers equipped with 4 or 5 large lasers and having at least two focus firing on you, you'll be cored within seconds and if you manage to survive, you're more than likely to die from a jager pilot who has been waiting in the shadows until you and the rest of your team have been beaten to a mush. i've been hearing horror stories from people 8 man pugging as well, experiencing entire teams running nothing more than that build and with in the current state of the game, there is no proper way of countering it. obviously my point is that LRM's were the proper counter to this, especially given that the hit boxes for both the Jager and Stalkers are pretty unforgiving when it comes to LRM damage which was the obvious cost to having them capable of boating in the first place.

Also need to implement the TT heat tables. Penalties to movement, accuracy, etc. I also wish they would reduce heat capacity but buff heat dissipation. I think these changes would bring heat management back into its proper role in the game, and also encourage more DPS style builds instead of the pure alphastrike gameplay we have now.

With the ruleset we have now, clan mechs are going to core atlai in one alphastrike.

I think that new crystals map does the same but with more diversity. Alpine is my least favorite map but I'm glad it's there.

And I do roll with a HBK-4J. It was my first mech & I made it with versatility in mind.

Grouped as follows: (1)ER PPC for punch & range, (2) SSRM2s for anti-lights or some random damage & (3) lasers for widdling down opponents. You can switch out the ER PPC for a regular one but I like ER PPC because it is actually useful a < 90m. It can run hot though.

I may need to steal this. Going with the 4J as my 3rd hunchback towards masters, and my LRM-ing attempts have been kinda horrible. This looks pretty fun.

Llyranor

Man, can't wait for the Highlander tomorrow.

Another view of the Canyon. Looks big. I dub that deathtrap bridge the Zaptruder Bridge.
BbKs1G7.jpg:large

-----

I've been thinking about possible builds for the Blackjack. One limitation I don't like is the slow speed for a mech that size.

Been thinking in the mechlab (using a 50ton mech as a placeholder). Seems like you could fit a max XL engine on this thing (85kph+speed tweak, not bad), a gauss with 4t, 4 med, 12DHS, max armor except 35 on the legs (I wonder if you could potentially risk stripping some from the head), and 4 JJs. Not sure on the max # of JJ's possible. You could fit 5JJ by downgrading the 235 to a 225.

I think it could work. (Relatively) fast and maneurable (esp with JJ) sniper (esp with high arms), with good self-defense potential with 4medlas.

I'm not sure how viable it is without XL, though.

Llyranor

Trying to figure out a build for the AC20arm variant, so that I can make it a proper assault brawler with JJ's.

Anyway, I'm comparing this off of 2 brawler mechs, the atlas and the 2x phract.

The phract can fit a 280engine, AC20 4t, 2 srm6 (or 4s+artemis, I guess) 3t (2t then), 3medlas. It can fit max armor except maybe the arm (I brought it down to 35 instead of 44 - can be tinkererd with) with only 1laser, and the legs. If it underarmors its legs into the low 30's, I can fit 13DHS. If it doesn't want to gamble that, 12. Or it can get rid of the 3rd ton of srm ammo (which is unnecessary with srm4/art, and optional even with 2srm6 anyway) and opt for 13-14. All this, at 64(71)kph.

I like my Atlas fast these days. 350 engine = 56 (62) kph. AC20 4t, 2srm4+art, 2LL. Max armor torsos, 44 in arms (low for an atlas, yes, but I've never lost an arm alone on an atlas), 51 in legs. 17 DHS. So, much better heat management than a phract, more range potential with the LL's, but slower.

Highlander, I see 2 engine possibilities in mind. 300 (54/59) or 325 (58/64), so more or less comparable to fast atlas. The default AC20 variant has a 2 medlas/LRM20/srm6, so it depends how they split the hardpoints for that (probably 3 missiles at least - I wonder if they'll give more laser slots, come on it's a bloody assault!).

For a moment, let's give it the phract loadout on a 325. AC20, 2srm4art, 3medlas. Max armor, except 53 on the legs, 16 DHS, 2 JJ's. At the loss of 7kph. From what I've seen, highlanders are very tank-able. They have great armor, and the JJ's make them very maneuverable for an assault, which means they can spread damage even more, and thus can be very survivable (more than an atlas? maybe). So, compared to a phract, the 'fast' highlander looks like it can be a viable build = better heat management, more armor, JJ's, at the cost of 7kph. It can be an acceptable trade.

Against an atlas, though, the main difference is the JJ's, otherwise it'd just feel like a poor man's atlas. The 2kph speed difference is negligeable. Atlas has more armor, and 2 LLs instead of 3 medlas. More longrange potential, slightly more damage, so not necessarily a *massive* difference. More armor (though not actually true of the arms on my fast atlas vs the max armor highlander), but the JJ's in the highlander might make up for it. 17 vs 16 DHS.

If I bring down the engine to 300, I can fit AC20, 2LL, 2srm4art. But, I have to remove a heatsink (15) and a bit of armor (50 to the legs, 55 to the arms instead of 60). This is the same loadout as a fast atlas, minus 2 heatsinks, but adding in 2 JJs. Mind you, this actually goes 3kph SLOWER than the bloody atlas.

One thought comes to mind. What about an XL? It's a death wish on an atlas, or pretty much any brawler. On the other hand, it makes 2AC20 jager cheese builds viable (extreme firepower at a great gamble, given their very obvious weakness). Zap "Deathtrap Bridge" Truder is telling me that brawling in an XL heavy metal is actually pretty doable, since the JJ's help spread out the damage. So testing this out, putting an XL325 (don't think it'd work with XL300, you'd run out of critical spaces because of endosteel), with AC20/2srm4art/2LL, I'm already out of critical spaces with 15DHS and 6 tons left. So XL means forgoing endosteel. With an XL325, I can have AC20/2srm4art/2LL, 16 DHS and 1/2ton left. I can give it back the 1/2 ton I've stripped off it before, or remove another 1/2 ton for a 17th DHS. If I do the latter, I can do an atlas build, but with an XL, except I have 2 JJ's........ which seems like a big gamble just for JJ's, especially given the insignificant speed diff. XL300 without endo gives me 5 ton spare with the same weapon loadout at 15DHS. So I can fit AC20/2srm4art/3LL 15 DHS, or AC20/3srm4art(3t ammo then)/2LL + 16DHS. These loadouts give me actually *more* weapons than the fast atlas, but is actually *slower*, and less DHS (more weapons, less DHS - a winning combination!). It seems like I'd still prefer brawling without the XL. With the XL, it still seems like the gauss/3LL sniping combo would work better, which seems pretty popular with the heavy metals these days. The biggest advantage the XL may confer is the needed tonnage to add extra JJs.

I didn't intend to write a novel, heh.

Though, with the highlander, I might just decide to bring my atlas back to a lower engine (300 no endo, I guess - 325+endo = no space left -- 325 no endo = no tonnage left)

Llyranor

Oh man oh man oh man, the highlander is so bloody fun. Such a fun brawler.

I put AC20+2LL+3srm4art on 325XL 15DHS 1JJ. I thought I'd have heat probs, but I was actually to manage it ok even in desert. We compared flight time between us, and 3JJ barely gives an edge over 1.

XL is hugely useful for the extra firepower. You can for the most part spread damage around, so it's not a massive liability. It IS, however, a liability, as I've been side-cored a couple of times already. Yes, they were mostly in situations where my CT was already pretty badly damaged, but surviving for a little bit more and get a few shots in could have made the difference.

Changing to the Standard 325 and adding endosteel means switching the 2LL's to 2 mediums instead, with a ton to spare (so, switching one srm4 to a 6, or 1 extra ton of armor, or DHS). Or, removing Artemis, you can fit 1 LL and a spare ton (maybe upgrading one srm4 to 6, or extra armor).

EDIT: Oh wait, sorry for the triple post :(

Patch seems pretty good so far. I don't think I've experienced any HUD bugs or issues with the mini-map yet. Loving the better hit detection on ballistics, feels great to actually see damage register when you nail a fast light or Cicada.

Nickiepoo

Oh man oh man oh man, the highlander is so bloody fun. Such a fun brawler.

I put AC20+2LL+3srm4art on 325XL 15DHS 1JJ. I thought I'd have heat probs, but I was actually to manage it ok even in desert. We compared flight time between us, and 3JJ barely gives an edge over 1.

Yeah, this is what I ended up with too. Time will tell if the XL is really worth it.

I am wondering what to do with other Highlander chassis though. Guass is an obvious, but I wonder if the Heavy Metal is the only one which can really run with that effectivelty, and I'd rather not be a poptart focused mech.

EDIT: 'Played Mechwarrior? If so you'll love Mechwarrior Tactics!'

Lying bloody advert!

I have been running my heavy metal with 325XL 3xLL ac10 and 2xSSRM2

Cant remember the rest off the top of my head but it still has 4JJs. Should I really drop to only 1 JJ?
Have not had a chance to play more than a few rounds in it so far though.

Nickiepoo

I have been running my heavy metal with 325XL 3xLL ac10 and 2xSSRM2

Cant remember the rest off the top of my head but it still has 4JJs. Should I really drop to only 1 JJ?
Have not had a chance to play more than a few rounds in it so far though.

3JJs WAS better, but we're only talking about 25% extra lift or so and given that it's two tons per jumpjet on that thing I felt like it was weight and space that was better spent elsewhere.

If the game was patched to give a more liniar improvement in performance from multiple jumpjets then I'd revisit that decision.

Top Bottom