• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Great. Join the "MechWarrior Online - GAF" group and play with us some time.

My MWO handle is also Zaptruder so feel free to friend.

Also, jump on Team Speak and this channel

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/60...chat-servers/page__view__findpost__p__1215853

Comstar NA server. We normally use that to chat with each other while playing.

Me, Llyranor, Nick, NoStyle and Teepo play nearly every day. Dionysus joins us occasionally too.

Cool. I'm a founder, but i barely played the game, so hopefully i can play without having to play random matches with people

Llyranor

We're a small group, but we have a lot of fun. We're not super serious, but we try to be fairly organized/coordinated.

Typical session:
No Style: Hakuna Matata
Llyranor kills entire enemy team on his own
Teepo kills Zap just before the end of the match
Zaptruder: Fair enough *cries*
Teepo: HAIL TEEPO
Nickiepoo: HAIL TEEPO
Llyranor: HAIL TEEPO

----------

Btw, 1 highlander JJ can bring you up the citadel and upper city base - though just barely.

Had fun with a LBX/4srm4art/2LL highlander yest. Was playing with Nostyle on alpine. Flew up the scout mountain, started shooting the enemy team with my LLs. Piss them off enough for them to send an atlas, phract and highlander after me. I use my single JJ to jump above/below them to shoot them while they try to chase me. I then jump down the mountain, and they drop after me. Of course, they drop on our side of the mountain where the rest of the team stood ready for them :D

Zaptruder

Banned
Jump Snipe Warrior Online is retarded.

I'm basically going to have to hold off for a week or so until people level out and get bored of their highlanders.

I mean... I could do the jump sniping thing as well - but I'm definetly not a fan of it (irrespective of winning or losing).

teepo

We're a small group, but we have a lot of fun. We're not super serious, but we try to be fairly organized/coordinated.

Typical session:
No Style: Hakuna Matata
Llyranor kills entire enemy team on his own
Teepo kills Zap just before the end of the match
Zaptruder: Fair enough *cries*
Teepo: HAIL TEEPO
Nickiepoo: HAIL TEEPO
Llyranor: HAIL TEEPO

Nickiepoo

He meant Nickiepoo.

Jump Snipe Warrior Online is retarded.

I'm basically going to have to hold off for a week or so until people level out and get bored of their highlanders.

I mean... I could do the jump sniping thing as well - but I'm definetly not a fan of it (irrespective of winning or losing).

Yeah, this has been a little annoying ever since alphaing 3Ds became popular which I guess is the result of lights being toned down. Hopfully this trend won't last too long.

dionysus

Yaldog
He meant Nickiepoo.

Yeah, this has been a little annoying ever since alphaing 3Ds became popular which I guess is the result of lights being toned down. Hopfully this trend won't last too long.

The counter should be LRMs and I think the metagame has overreacted to the missile nerf especially since less and less people are running ecms.

Nickiepoo

Heh, I figured it would be more of a saving on the heatsink side but I guess I forget just how heavy those large standard engines are.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hmmm. So I played a bit more despite claims to the contrary.

LRMs seem to be rather excellent when paired with long range snipey weapons. They seem to disorientate and suppress snipers quite well. LRM5s allowing for minimum recycle and maximum lock on time are the best bet IMO.

teepo

LRMs won't lock and hit before the pop-tarter is back behind cover.

it really is dependent on a map and there is very few spots in the entire game where a pop tarter can safely pop in and out of cover, which might not even be the idea spot to be in depending on where the pieces are moving.

LRM's have always been more useful when your teammates force a brawl rather than waiting and hoping to get a lock on an enemy and immediately firing volleys when he or she has the chance to easily pop back into cover.

and like Zaptruder said, there is nothing that can disorientate a sniper more than incoming missiles which also gives mediums and lights a better chance at flanking and trapping those fucks.

Zap+everyone--when do you all normally play? My schedule's been kinda stupid recently, but will try to shift things around a bit to be able to join in.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hah. They shut down the general forum because of the volume of complaints.

How about... not sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALALA" and dealing with the actual problems in a quick and timely manner PGI?

Oh well. I've spent my last dime on the game. Clan founders? Yeah, not while the game is been managed by a bunch of incompetents.

teepo

canyon_lighting_01.jpg

!

androvsky

Hah. They shut down the general forum because of the volume of complaints.

How about... not sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALALA" and dealing with the actual problems in a quick and timely manner PGI?

Oh well. I've spent my last dime on the game. Clan founders? Yeah, not while the game is been managed by a bunch of incompetents.

What did happen? Forums are up now, looks like they're going to rearrange them a bit soon.

Zaptruder

Banned
What happened?

What did happen? Forums are up now, looks like they're going to rearrange them a bit soon.

This happened.

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/114567-general-discussion-replaced-with-specific-sub-forums/

You can read my QQ about 12-13 pages in.

Basically a loss of an obvious straightforward place for players to discuss the general happenings of the game so that the developers can derail some of the criticism about the game.

The problem is, they've never answered a great deal of the questions asked about the game in any satisfactory sort of manner.

Players have repeatedly identified things like machine guns as just not working. And after much badgering across the span of a number of updates and patches, the best they manage is: "we're looking into it." Which is about as useless a none-answer as one can give.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What's truly infuriating is how simple it is to change some of the balancing variables, push it out to the public and let them test the meta of the changes for a few days before tweaking again. Instead, in pretty much every decision they make, they hold back timely and appropriate changes in favour of tweaking and incorporating fixes and esoteric mechanisms that may or may not work to balance the game.

dionysus

Yaldog
Machine guns are never going to be viable even with a big buff, though it will help some completely worthless light variants be less worthless.

High damage, low recycle weapons currently rule and will continue to rule the game because these weapons work the best with cover. High DPS weapons that rely on sustained fire for massive damage over time also expose Mechs to too much damage.

Even though they buffed armor 2x over tabletop, they in effect buffed many weapons to 3x over tabletop by having much shorter cooldowns. Taking sustained fire just isnt an option. A PPC in tabletop as a direct crossover would be 1 shot every 10s. Now this high damage, low recycle can get what almost 3 shots in at 10s.

I guess what I mean is that yes machine guns are broken but unless they give them a completely unreasonable buff they are still going to be in the same category as small lasers and small pulse lasers.

Machine guns also have little use in the fluff, mainly there for use against non mech targets. The game not having combined arms aspect to it and being mech only, the machine guns will always be useless.

dionysus

Yaldog
Machine guns also have little use in the fluff, mainly there for use against non mech targets.

Well that is because in the books we are normally following the princes and mercenary superstars, MG are supposed to be able to put out damage on mechs as a backup weapon and low cost weapon for the common mechwarrior.

In TT rules, they actually have things called light rifles which are like the main gun on an Abrams tank. Those cannot even damage mechs (-3 damage vs. mechs), but a Mech machine gun shooting .50 cal is a super high tech weapon that can actually slowly strip armor. This aint equivalent to the ole 50 cals hanging off the side of a Huey chopper in the Vietnam war.

Nickiepoo

They've made an awesome game, but yeah, their community management and balance rollouts need some work.

Having said that, Machineguns are and should be mostly irrelivent. A damage buff wouldn't actually make them more useful on a strategic or tactical level, it would just made some ineffective builds slightly less ineffective. They could do with it, sure, but it doesn't actually 'matter' in the short term, now while we're still missing actual core features of the game.

teepo

pretty huge changes

Update: SOME numbers, and a target date.

Machine Guns
MGs are getting their damage doubled to 0.08/shell.
MG range is going to be 120m and they will fall off to 0 damage at 240m.
MG Spread will remain unchanged for the moment.

LB10-X has had it's cone of fire reduced by 20%, giving it a bit more focused punch through it's travel space.

LRM speed will be increasing from 100m/s to 120m/s. This equates to about 5-10% more missiles hitting a moving target and it's quite a bit harder to dodge LRMs.

AC/5
After reading my last post, I think I was smoking something other than a cigarette when I said AC/5 damage would be changing. AC/5 damage is NOT changing. Their range however is increasing from 540m out to 620m.

NARC is going to have its firing distance increased as well as it's duration. This is still undergoing testing and will have numbers for you when they're ready.

BAP
Now here's the biggie. BAP is meant to increase your sensor range by amplifying your sensor systems. It allows you to get detail targeting information faster and also allows you to detect nearby shutdown Mechs. Yeah? So?... well...

BAP will now negate ECM within 150m (tuning number) of the enemy. Negate? What 'chu talkin' 'bout Paul?

If Mech X has BAP, and Mech Y has ECM, and Mech X gets within 150m or less of Mech Y, Mech Y loses all effects of ECM. It is a 100% counter to ECM. Mech Y is now vulnerable to LRMs/S-SRMs as long as Mech X stays within 150m. Any friendly Mechs to Mech Y will no longer be shielded until Mech X leaves the 150m area around Mech Y.

ECM is now a long range Mech item. A scout can now use it to remain hidden from LRMs while performing their job. A LRM/command Atlas can rain down death while maintaining LoS on their distant targets without worries of LRMs coming back at them.

ECM is now getting a dedicated hardpoint that works just like AMS. It will be located in a dedicated component such as the right or left torso.

ECM will also no longer mess with friendly IDF markings so you always know who's friend and foe.

Missile Update:
Missiles are coming along. A lot of stuff has been rewritten and we have to test and retune numbers to get them ready to be released back into the live game. So far LRM's are looking really good and SRM's are soon to be addressed as well. As of this writing we're putting the final numbers on LRMs so they'll be ready for large scale testing very soon.

DATE: All of the above is expected to be released in the May 21st patch.

As usual, responses can be posted here: http://mwomercs.com/...cing-follow-up/

teepo

ECM's honestly haven't been that much of a problem ever since they've introduced HSR and fucked the meta game up leading to the proliferation of PPC builds. still, i applaud the changes especially since BAP's are worth the tonnage now. i do find it annoying when i can't use my streak srm's in certain builds because of an annoying ecm mech.

also, 3L's are easy targets; it's the abundance of D-DC's in my ELO which drives me crazy.

teepo

Haven't checked the forums... but i reckon there's a lot of bitching going on. You know, people defending ECM...

a very few number defend ECM's which is evident given how the community has already voted on the issue as well as their reaction to the lead designer saying they're making no changes to ECM's themselves.

I've been playing MWO solo off and on for months now, any vent or teamspeak servers where I can play with some gaffers?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53101101&postcount=2021

were a friendly bunch but be warned, at least one of us will personally shoot you in the back at one point.

dionysus

Yaldog
ECM's honestly haven't been that much of a problem ever since they've introduced HSR and fucked the meta game up leading to the proliferation of PPC builds. still, i applaud the changes especially since BAP's are worth the tonnage now. i do find it annoying when i can't use my streak srm's in certain builds because of an annoying ecm mech.

also, 3L's are easy targets; it's the abundance of D-DC's in my ELO which drives me crazy.

Yea ECM is not god mode because of the current PPC metagame and the great Host State Rewind. In general lights no longer have the best armor in the game, lag armor.

Dainguro and any gaffer can add me. Alecto22 in game. Also we have a GAF MWO steam group so that is a good way to fill out your friends list with 6 or so names.

Edit. Another good thing on the distant horizon is a bump in mech speed I think. That is why the Flea is delayed. Ever mech got dropped down to about 140kph max because lag armor + other issues basically broke the game in favor of fast mechs. A dev said that the flea is waiting on packet optimization combined with HSR and other optimizations to be released. I take this to mean that they realize the only way the flea and other tiny mechs are going to be viable is with a bump to the max speed. Spider players rejoice!

teepo

currently it's more common to find two or more Jenner's on your team than 3L's.

the king of lights as well all mechs has been back \m/

MechWarrior-Online-Jenner-Concept-thumb.jpg

it's so kawaii

TheD

The Detective
I am finding this game the least fun game I have played in ages.
I have played 20 odd matches and the team it puts me on always loses (most of the time badly).
Seems that it always team stacks against new players.

Also is it just me or does the game look worse than it use to?
I have not seen the DOF that was around in older versions and some of the maps have really bad load poping and bad lighting.

Daingurse

a very few number defend ECM's which is evident given how the community has already voted on the issue as well as their reaction to the lead designer saying they're making no changes to ECM's themselves.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53101101&postcount=2021

were a friendly bunch but be warned, at least one of us will personally shoot you in the back at one point.

Haha, ok. Expect to see me online at some point, probably fucking around with my Trench Bucket, I swear if someone shoots me though their getting an AC/20 to the dome! lol

dionysus

Yaldog
I am finding this game the least fun game I have played in ages.
I have played 20 odd matches and the team it puts me on always loses (most of the time badly).
Seems that it always team stacks against new players.

Also is it just me or does the game look worse than it use to?
I have not seen the DOF that was around in older versions and some of the maps have really bad load poping and bad lighting.

Low ELO matchmaking can be hell in my experience. My theory is that there is significant overlap between new players with basically no ELO and players who are not good enough to advance (me included in some weight classes), but there is a significan skill gap still existing between new players and players who have upgraded mechs and more experience.

If you aren't having fun I don't think it is going to get any better until official release, so I would check back late summer and give the game a shot again once community warfare is out.

Low ELO matchmaking can be hell in my experience. My theory is that there is significant overlap between new players with basically no ELO and players who are not good enough to advance (me included in some weight classes), but there is a significan skill gap still existing between new players and players who have upgraded mechs and more experience.

If you aren't having fun I don't think it is going to get any better until official release, so I would check back late summer and give the game a shot again once community warfare is out.

I haven't been playing much recently since I've been knee deep in Planetside 2, but is it possible that smurfing is a problem at lower ELO?

Llyranor

pretty huge changes

I approve of all these changes.

This works fine for my 3L. I've been wanting to make it a longer range/scouting mech. Putting a PPC on it doesn't work superbly given how its arms handle, and that works way better on a spider. But I think my 1LL/1medlas/2ssrm build will still work as a scout and hit&run harasser. Never really enjoyed brawling in a raven anyhow.

Doesn't bode well for the 3ssrm commando, though. I really can't find any niche for the commando. It's the worst mech. Whatever role it tries to do, another light can do it better.

dionysus

Yaldog
Doesn't bode well for the 3ssrm commando, though. I really can't find any niche for the commando. It's the worst mech. Whatever role it tries to do, another light can do it better.

If they ever raise the unofficial speed cap of the game, which I think is likely, some of these mechs will be better.

Top Bottom