• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

wallbc01

Neo Member
what online problems are people having? didnt notice anything earlier but only played for an hour or so. one problem i did have was trying to follow the instructions on activating the online pass for ps3

Kydd BlaZe

wallbc01 said:
what online problems are people having? didnt notice anything earlier but only played for an hour or so. one problem i did have was trying to follow the instructions on activating the online pass for ps3
360 Servers have been down for a while now...

Cyberia

Now THIS review is from CVG.

Medal of Honor is a good shooter, unfortunately a good shooter these days feels pretty average. The campaign doesn't do anything particularly new and it lacks any real wow factor, meaning that Medal of Honor won't be regaining it's title in its first bout. Still, FPS-heads will want to get involved as it's strong in most of the key areas if not world-beating.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=268991

Zenith

Banned
Was that it? Three and a half hours? I got it this afternoon, and I'm done! Just over half an MW campaign and it sure as hell feels it. Ends with a bit of a whimper.

The reviews that say 7 hours, I... don't know. It's impossible. A lot of the script triggers activate when your AI teammates pass a certain point and they will push forward even if you won't. How could DC have spent so long making this when there are no technical achievements and the campaign features run-of-the-mill stuff?

The reviewer who said the SP was very controlling was right. Sometime you have invisible barriers to stop you from running to far ahead of your teammates (like literally, not one foot in front of them), sometimes to stop you from going back to an area even if the path is wide open and you just left it. It is very controlling over the animations, every tiny movement of your head, it'll keep control much longer than it has to. Even things like the repeated use of the laser designator mechanic will only activate in one spot and you will be kept rooted there until the gameplay segment is complete. Very rough collision detection, when you try and squeeze past your teammate standing near a rock you can't because their invisible barriers extend past their models and stop you dead.

However the reviewer also said he hardly got to make kills because the AI would snap it up and he'd always be forced to bring up the rear. That never happend. The team AI was fine even though they did get in the way of my line of fire a bit.

It's two separate games. There is no relation between the SP and MP. Different engines, different weapons, different feel. One is a mini Bad Company game, the other is a typical UE3 fps. I never got to use a P90 or F2000 in singleplayer :(

A lot of times you couldn't advance until the AI did something for you like kick in a door, a criticism that Blacksite got blasted for.

Having Linkin Park play over the "hell yeah" action moments of the campaign was a bad idea.

The game didn't come off as hawkish to me. The tier 1 characters and their camraderie was a little cliche. One of the army guys is the stereotypical Mexican dude like from the beginning of the Transformers movie. "Wow, cabron, you got real cojones. I love your balls." It portrays the military brass as Washington stooges. If anything it shows how pointless the conflict is. All that manpower and billion-dollar hardware just to chip away at some mountains and kill a bunch of farmers and wannabe militia boys. You go on a mission to rescue two people, and it ends up costing 2 chinooks and a shitload of dead army guys despite how pathetic the enemy is. "Fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" never sounded so hollow. They're no threat, a bunch of hobos living in caves with guns that are worth more as scrap-metal.

Why did the game introduce
Chechen
enemies half way through? What have they got to do with the Afghanistan conflict? I know they're Muslim but they're miles away and you'd think they be more concerned about fighting Russia.

endgame SPOILERS:
Felt like they were trying to imitate CoD when your character died

I had high hopes for this. CoD is nothing but a consolised shooter and I wanted something that wasn't so soft, or at least forced Activision to stop being so lazy with their milking.

U2NUMB

Enjoyed what I have played of the single player so far .. tried to fire up the Multiplayer and of course EA servers are down. So annoying... I am on the 360, any luck on other platforms?

Finished the campaign. Currently listening to Linkin Park in the credits.
-slits wrists
It probably weighed in at 6 hours in total. Like I said earlier, I think it was pretty solid. I enjoyed it more than MW2 and BC2's campaigns.

On to Tier 1 Mode! (until MP is fixed lol)

wallbc01

Neo Member
Kydd BlaZe said:
360 Servers have been down for a while now...

oh really, damn that sucks. i was actually surprised when i played earlier on ps3 and didnt get booted out of a match. im used to that on MP game first days

Dizzle24

wallbc01 said:

Redeem Code from Account Management on the XMB. It's a 100kb key.

Then go to MP and it will verify the Online Pass, telling you about access to content in the In-game store...which is empty. :lol

xclaw

aristotle said:
Anyone else get excessive loading? PS3 version btw.

I'm getting very long load times... almost made me think there was something wrong with the disk. You literally have to wait 2 minutes when exiting multiplayer for the main menu to load. Something ain't right.

I also got the "suppress dshk for team" glitch where nothing happens when it's shot, loading the last checkpoint isn't working so I am gonna restart the entire mission and hopefully it'll work...

Zenith said:
Having Linkin Park play over the "hell yeah" action moments of the campaign was a bad idea.
:lol :lol :lol

Are you serious???

I also read from RPS that because of the different SP/MP developers, there really isn't any consistency between SP and MP. For example, in SP, you can go prone, leave one bullet in your gun while changing mags, and even slide to cover by crouching while printing...and all of this is missing in MP.

I still have hopes for the MP, but man, I wanted this game to be so much better.

X26

Banned
wasn't there another game released not that long ago that also had different devs for the sp and mp? having trouble remembering

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
X26 said:
wasn't there another game released not that long ago that also had different devs for the sp and mp? having trouble remembering
yep and different engines for sp and mp.

wolfenstein fits the bill. Singleplayer was good tho and the MP was an abomination

Got the game (PS3 version) thanks to awesome Futureshop trade 2 deal (traded in COD4 and Blazblue).

Quick criticism from my 30 minutes of online play:

1. When they said there are two developers, they really meant it. Single-player and multi-player are so different and isolated from each other, it feels like MGS4/MGO fiasco where enter different mode requires loading a different executable file. I heard in PC version, it's more obvious and has two separate executable files (correct me if I'm wrong).

2. There is NO gun-play improvement from beta to final game besides a polish here and there. Every gun is equally powerful, every gun has unlimited range and every gun has unlimited accuracy and every gun requires less than 10 rounds to kill/double-kill. With that said, the feel of the gun is excellent as always expected from Dice.

3. They've added a "hold breath" feature for those 4x sniper rifle scopes (don't know if it was there before in the beta but I don't remember it). It's pretty blocky and doesn't feel like it belongs in the game and feels like a last minute addition.

4. Game freezing glitch is still there. I repeat: game freezing glitch is still there! The only improvement (if you may call it) is the fact that instead of crashing the system, it freezes for 5 seconds. WTF is this shit, Dice?

5. Only 4 game modes? Are you fucking kidding me? At a game that's aimed as a Call of Duty-esque game, that's more than 75% less game modes! Of course, I'm excluding Hardcore mode (with a total of 5) but they game itself is hardcore enough, I can't imagine how "hardcore" is hardcore mode.

6. No lobby system. WHAT THE FUCK, DICE? It's matchmaking only. You go to matchmaking, you pick game mode and you're in. Sure, it's quick but I want to be in a lobby, seeing what map is coming up, vote the map or exit if I am not satisfied, etc etc. I don't even know how many maps are in the game and so far the 6 or so matches I've had in the same server, I've only seen the maps provided in the beta. No filter settings to avoid maps, no nothing.

7. There is a 'voting' system at the end of the match, but there is no way of finding out if the map has been skipped or how many people skipped the map, and it's a guessing game. Backward shit, Dice. Backward shit!

8. Regardless of numerous complains that the default HUD size is too large and zoomed in, they still didn't adjust it and I had to adjust it myself. Lazy?

9. Grenade, why oh why are you so weak?

aegies

shagg_187 said:
Got the game (PS3 version) thanks to awesome Futureshop trade 2 deal (traded in COD4 and Blazblue).

1. When they said there are two developers, they really meant it. Single-player and multi-player are so different and isolated from each other, it feels like MGS4/MGO fiasco where enter different mode requires loading a different executable file. I heard in PC version, it's more obvious and has two separate executable files (correct me if I'm wrong).

2. There is NO gun-play improvement from beta to final game besides a polish here and there. Every gun is equally powerful, every gun has unlimited range and every gun has unlimited accuracy and every gun requires less than 10 rounds to kill/double-kill. With that said, the feel of the gun is excellent as always expected from Dice.

3. They've added a "hold breath" feature for those 4x sniper rifle scopes (don't know if it was there before in the beta but I don't remember it). It's pretty blocky and doesn't feel like it belongs in the game and feels like a last minute addition.

4. Game freezing glitch is still there. I repeat: game freezing glitch is still there! The only improvement (if you may call it) is the fact that instead of crashing the system, it freezes for 5 seconds. WTF is this shit, Dice?

5. Only 4 game modes? Are you fucking kidding me? At a game that's aimed as a Call of Duty-esque game, that's more than 75% less game modes! Of course, I'm excluding Hardcore mode (with a total of 5) but they game itself is hardcore enough, I can't imagine how "hardcore" is hardcore mode.

6. No lobby system. WHAT THE FUCK, DICE? It's matchmaking only. You go to matchmaking, you pick game mode and you're in. Sure, it's quick but I want to be in a lobby, seeing what map is coming up, vote the map or exit if I am not satisfied, etc etc. I don't even know how many maps are in the game and so far the 6 or so matches I've had in the same server, I've only seen the maps provided in the beta. No filter settings to avoid maps, no nothing.

7. There is a 'voting' system at the end of the match, but there is no way of finding out if the map has been skipped or how many people skipped the map, and it's a guessing game. Backward shit, Dice. Backward shit!

8. Regardless of numerous complains that the default HUD size is too large and zoomed in, they still didn't adjust it and I had to adjust it myself. Lazy?

They are literally different games. I don't think it's breaking any NDAs to say that the debug version of the game we received for 360 (which I did not review - I only reviewed retail versions of MOH for all three platforms) had entirely separate executables - I literally could have installed just single player or just multiplayer on my debug hard drive.

No_Style

May be a bit off topic, but am I wrong to assume that I don't need the disc to get into the BF3 beta?

I haven't gotten a chance to play it for myself (watching bro play), but the SP has pretty awesome audio work going on here.

Click

Banned
shagg_187 said:

Thanks fort he initial online impressions. Everyone's talking about SP, which I couldn't give 2 shits about.

Sounds like this game's MP blows. We need more people to post their opinion on the MP...

Click said:
Thanks fort he initial online impressions. Everyone's talking about SP, which I couldn't give 2 shits about.

Sounds like this game's MP blows. We need more people to post their opinion on the MP...
tough to do when the servers are borked

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No_Style said:
May be a bit off topic, but am I wrong to assume that I don't need the disc to get into the BF3 beta?

I haven't gotten a chance to play it for myself (watching bro play), but the SP has pretty awesome audio work going on here.

The SP is absolutely fantastic if you like military shooters at all, an added bonus if you are a vet, or knowledgeable in military life/tech/lingo.

I haven't gotten into the multi yet, but if the weapons handle the same way I'll be happy.

sflufan

Banned
Zenith said:
Why did the game introduce
Chechen
enemies half way through? What have they got to do with the Afghanistan conflict? I know they're Muslim but they're miles away and you'd think they be more concerned about fighting Russia.

There are individuals of that particular ethnicity operating with and receiving training from al-Qaeda in Afghanistan-Pakistan.

Gaogaogao

Alienshogun said:
The SP is absolutely fantastic if you like military shooters at all, an added bonus if you are a vet, or knowledgeable in military life/tech/lingo.

I haven't gotten into the multi yet, but if the weapons handle the same way I'll be happy.
they dont.

Novella

Banned
I can't believe you ingrates. EA is giving you two (not one, two) AAA titles for the price of one, and you're complaining about it. Don't you appreciate that EA could have had whoever made this game do both the single player and the multiplayer?

If you've been paying attention, this is pretty much a $120 value. So basically if you didn't buy Medal of Honor today, you in effect lost $60. Too bad, huh?

It's called Medal of Honor for a reason. EA deserves one.

Novella said:
I can't believe you ingrates. EA is giving you two (not one, two) AAA titles for the price of one, and you're complaining about it. Don't you appreciate that EA could have had whoever made this game do both the single player and the multiplayer?

If you've been paying attention, this is pretty much a $120 value. So basically if you didn't buy Medal of Honor today, you in effect lost $60. Too bad, huh?

I... uhh... what? My sarcasm meter is charging as of this moment :/

Novella said:

14jvlmb.jpg

Novella said:

:lol good show

Hootie

Novella said:

HNjmg.jpg

Phloxy

Ummm Linkin Park music doesn't play at any part in the game til the end credits. Being a huge Linkin Park fan I would know.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
sflufan said:
There are individuals of that particular ethnicity operating with and receiving training from al-Qaeda in Afghanistan-Pakistan.

They were also in Iraq for a bit, most of those "sniper" incidents were
Chechens.

Look them up, they are a ruthless lot. (last comment aimed at others, not SFLUFAN)
Gaogaogao said:
they dont.

Ick, guess I'll find out shortly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Novella said:

:lol

sflufan

Banned
Alienshogun said:
They were also in Iraq for a bit, most of those "sniper" incidents were
Chechens.

Look them up, they are a ruthless lot. (last comment aimed at others, not SFLUFAN)

I should've known that those guys would've ended up in Iraq eventually too. If there is ever one group that have the ruthlessness, competence, and experience to be an adversary worth fearing, it's THEM!

kevm3

Overall the multiplayer is solid. Pretty much what has been said before. Battlefield feel with smaller maps. A couple things annoy me about it though:
1) Why is prone not in this game?
2) There needs to be more maps. Feels like for team deathmatch you're only playing 4 maps over and over again.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
GAH! today is just not my day... I finally get my motherboard in from RMA and I set it up, keen to give the game a go, and what happens? I get it all set up, and... it gives me the same issue. I finally got around to trying the RAM test, and then it doesn't even give me a beep. Turns out, my memory controller is fried, and they somehow didn't catch that the FIRST time I sent it in. So it's all packed and ready to go... and because of my bank being SLOW I wasn't able to move around funds to buy the limited edition.

And if shit wasn't any worse, I thought I might pop in another disk of that box set I bought at the NY Comic Con over the weekend and it's all "Fuck you, I don't feel like reading this disk" >:|

Normally, I'd deal with this by playing a rousing FPS. You can imagine how frustrated I am >:|

sflufan

Banned
DICE isn't a big fan of prone (it wasn't in Bad Company 2) as they feel it encourages "dolphin diving" in multiplayer.

Top Bottom