• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

Enosh said:
I want a game that is infantry focused unlike BC2 and one that has a more, how to say it, "authentic" feel to it, not dual wielding P90s while running at speedy gonzales speeds and stabing people 20 miles away from you as seen in MW2, which while fun, can't be played all the time

from reading stuff it seems that MoH can deliver this, so i'll probably order it, which means I'll play it on friday :D

You sound like me, and Ill take a leap of faith and say you'll really enjoy this. Sure, there is a lot of stuff to have issue with. As Click said, the issues are lack of maps, lack of polish, lack of a proper party / group system, and lack of good clan support. But to continue pulling from Click's post, the game does focus on great gunplay, less focus on vehicles, less / no cheap killstreaks / perks, and are more focused on objectives rather than K/D ratio. In fact, unless I missed it, it tells you how many kills you've gotten, but doesnt even display a K/D ratio.

Compared to MW2, which looks better, feels better, has a ton more gamemodes, better lobby system, more weapons, more customization, more variety in guns, etc. but every time I play, there is so much rage-inducing shit going on. In the 3 plus hours ive invested in this, not once did I feel cheated and I had fun the entire time. That weighs pretty heavily with me.

Gritesh said:
Why do people keep saying this? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the "streaks" are based off of points, not kills. After you get so many points you unlock your next point streak, capping objectives makes this much easier to complete.

The game does work that way. Each assist, headshot, kill, etc gives you a certain amount of points which add up. In objective modes, you also get points for objectives. But it's still far easier/quicker to chain streaks together in those modes by simply killing people.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
TheApatheticOne said:
You sound like me, and Ill take a leap of faith and say you'll really enjoy this. Sure, there is a lot of stuff to have issue with. As Click said, the issues are lack of maps, lack of polish, lack of a proper party / group system, and lack of good clan support. But to continue pulling from Click's post, the game does focus on great gunplay, less focus on vehicles, less / no cheap killstreaks / perks, and are more focused on objectives rather than K/D ratio. In fact, unless I missed it, it tells you how many kills you've gotten, but doesnt even display a K/D ratio.

Compared to MW2, which looks better, feels better, has a ton more gamemodes, better lobby system, more weapons, more customization, more variety in guns, etc. but every time I play, there is so much rage-inducing shit going on. In the 3 plus hours ive invested in this, not once did I feel cheated and I had fun the entire time. That weighs pretty heavily with me.

Game displays your kills/death.

And yeah, you hit the nail on the head. No rage like I have with MW2 or even BC2.

mr_nothin

Banned
Bumblebeetuna said:
The game does work that way. Each assist, headshot, kill, etc gives you a certain amount of points which add up. In objective modes, you also get points for objectives. But it's still far easier/quicker to chain streaks together in those modes by simply killing people.
Not always the case. A lot of times I'd go for capturing the flag instead of trying to find a guy to kill. Capturing a flag where there are 4 of my teammates already capturing is a lot less risky than trying to go through the map to find an enemy to kill. This was the case especially when I got the higher up scorestreaks. I'd be on edge and would decide, HEY I'LL GO CAPTURE THE FLAG.

There's been a lot of times where I've gone like 30-5 and our team still lost. I'd get like 800 pts (when you only need 1800 to win) and we'd still lose. I'd be like WTF! If the retail's starting community is anything like the beta's starting community then people wont even know how to capture flag properly. They'll probably stand in the proximity of the flag, thinking they're capturing it when in reality you have to basically be RIGHT next to the flag to capture it. Once ppl get past that phase and realize that then you'll see a lot more ppl doing the objectives.

Are we looking to a levelup / weapon unlocks similar to MW:2 or BC:2? It's this that will keep me going back if so.

Anyone know where I can find out more info on this?

Biff

Question for those who bought the game:

What does your BF3 beta thing look like? Is it a voucher with a PSN/XBLA code? Or some code for the EA website?

ChefRamsay said:

What does your BF3 beta thing look like? Is it a voucher with a PSN/XBLA code? Or some code for the EA website?
No voucher in my PS3 version, as far as I can tell the Online Pass is used to register. I assume registering with certain online passes from the "limited" edition will allow access to the beta.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
MarkMclovin said:
Are we looking to a levelup / weapon unlocks similar to MW:2 or BC:2? It's this that will keep me going back if so.

Anyone know where I can find out more info on this?

I believe it's more like BC2, in that you level up a particular class at a time. So, pick the special ops class, and all the xp you earn goes towards unlocking special ops weapons, scopes, silencers, etc. There are 3 classes, and I think 15 levels per class.

twdnewh_k

Same problems as in the beta, cant join any mulitplayer game.
Same exact error as well, Ea servers arent available or whatever.

Broken and myself played the MP last night and we had a blast in the objective modes! The PS3 servers are running pretty good right now, although there were some matches with lag. Overall I like this much better than COD. MW2 left a bad taste in my mouth, so it will take a heck of an effort with Black Ops to get me back on there side.

jkanownik

ChefRamsay said:

There's no code on 360 either. It says you will be able to access it in game.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Heh... you know, it's kind of bizarre. We start with a declining hype, cooled by the previous betas, and just when it all hits rock bottom at launch (4hr campaign, bugs, modern shooter fatigue), it hits its niche. I missed out on getting the limited edition in the last week, and because I wanted to get the BF3 beta, I considered just giving up on the game, maintaining the OP, but otherwise keeping away. This thread and the descriptions of the multi have convinced me otherwise. As soon as my motherboard gets back from RMA (again D:<) I'll be buying this. A good, infantry focused FPS is really what I'm looking for. I just wish there was a bit more variety in the weapon selection.

Cornbread78

doomed1 said:
Heh... you know, it's kind of bizarre. We start with a declining hype, cooled by the previous betas, and just when it all hits rock bottom at launch (4hr campaign, bugs, modern shooter fatigue), it hits its niche. I missed out on getting the limited edition in the last week, and because I wanted to get the BF3 beta, I considered just giving up on the game, maintaining the OP, but otherwise keeping away. This thread and the descriptions of the multi have convinced me otherwise. As soon as my motherboard gets back from RMA (again D:<) I'll be buying this. A good, infantry focused FPS is really what I'm looking for. I just wish there was a bit more variety in the weapon selection.

If they truly want thsi game to be successful, they will need to put together a couple patches for it, like to eliminate spawn/base whoring. So additional weapons and features would be great. I had a lot of fun playing it online last night....

Veritas_

After playing multiplayer for a few hours yesterday mostly on Combat Mission, I'm really glad I took the plunge and picked this up. So, so fun. Every game I played had good team work and objective completion, with pretty minimal camping. I feel like the Shahikot Mountain map (from the Beta) is a bit of an outlier in terms of gameplay. It's designed so that it's really open but very narrow, thus the sniper spam. Every other map had much more fluid and spread out gameplay, and the gunplay felt really good. I was a bit skeptical about the "laser guns" accuracy and damage during the beta, but it really works out well on the other maps.

Lots of fun so far. Looking forward to unlocking a beard.

Spl1nter

VibratingDonkey said:
I'm really close to purchasing the PC version primarily for the guaranteed BF3 beta slot. Hopefully the game will be worth the £24 by itself.

same. plus the mp isnt bad either.

I had a lot more fun playing Medal of Honor then i did with Call of Duty.. the single player felt right.. just wish it was more than 4 hours. The multiplayer part of the game surprised me because i thought it was utter shit in BETA, now it's awesome.

kevm3

This game has the essence of what made MW1 so fun, which is focus on the gunplay. It feels like a more strategic MW1. This is one of the few shooters where I haven't really gotten angry. If I die, it's because I was being careless. You cannot go nuts and start running everywhere or you will get destroyed. The game forces you to move from cover to cover.

The knifing in this game is reasonable. You have to be up close to your enemy. There are no lunges thankfully. A lot was made about the lack of recoil in this game, but it actually isn't much of an issue. There IS recoil, but not a ton. This works well since you have to hit an enemy slightly longer than you have to in call of duty.

After playing more, my main complaint remains: what this game really needs is more maps and game modes. It can get tiring playing the same maps over and over. Hopefully a new map pack will be on the way soon. If they had a one life only gamemode that is based on objectives, this could really set this game to a new height.

With all that said, I've been listening to people talking on the mics in the game and they pretty much bring up how much fun they are having. It just goes to show you that sometimes removing elements actually can make a game a good deal better. I really hope word of mouth overcomes some of the reviews that this game has been getting. It's not a polished game, but if you don't need distractions to keep you interested and you want a more close quarters infantry game, this is a worthy option.

Deware80

Banned
So this game's multiplayer focus is more on GUNPLAY than anything else, right? I might snatch up a copy if the general feeling is that this is more inline to COD4 than MW2 was.

I also love the rush mode in BFBC2, but hate how broken it is due to the C4 on everything, anti-tank mines, and just how easy it is to destroy a crate by just knocking down a building. Are there any modes similar to Rush in BCBC2 without the destruction? If so I probably pick this up on the 360 tomorrow.

How many maps and Modes are there? Sorry for all the questions, just want people's opinion on the multi a little more. Thanks!

aristotle

Deware80 said:
So this game's multiplayer focus is more on GUNPLAY than anything else, right? I might snatch up a copy if the general feeling is that this is more inline to COD4 than MW2 was.

I also love the rush mode in BFBC2, but hate how broken it is due to the C4 on everything, anti-tank mines, and just how easy it is to destroy a crate by just knocking down a building. Are there any modes similar to Rush in BCBC2 without the destruction? If so I probably pick this up on the 360 tomorrow.

How many maps and Modes are there? Sorry for all the questions, just want people's opinion on the multi a little more. Thanks!

It's definitely more like CoD4. Think of it like CoD4 + BFBC2. It's definitely focused on gunplay more than anything else. It's more BC2 though but on a much smaller map so the gun battles are fast and furious (at least the ones I played). That's the best way to describe it. Staying with your team and using cover is really the only way to survive the game. There are objective based games as well. I think there are 5 game types, but I haven't really played them much yet. There is no destruction in MP except for cover items (boxes, etc.) and even then it's mostly just bullets passing through thinner objects. I'm not sure how many maps there are either since it seems there are a few different maps depending on what mode you play. I played one of the objective maps and it never came up in rotation at all during the deathmatch gametype.

Tried it. Single player is average for me. Took about 3 to 4 hours to beat. It's okay. Better than I expected actually but still the scripting was sub-par compared to a COD game. The tone is okay which is where most of the enjoyment comes from.

The multiplayer is average for me also. They actually take out a few of the interesting mechanics like the slide and lean features which is weird.

Not saying others can't like it but there is nothing here for me personally. It's an average title.

Ive posted my overall positive thoughts above, but here are some random things:

- The grenades are perfect, a well-placed grenade will kill someone, semi near someone and it'll mess with their perception. 100% not worthy of spamming, but useful.
- Scorestreaks > killstreaks. When I heard about it, Id thought Id like it a lot, but didnt know Id fall head over heels in love with it. WAAYYYY better. Someone stated its still quicker to kill people to earn killstreaks, but if you are capping points and protecting points, you can earn scoresteaks MUCH faster, IMO.
- Speaking about the scorestreaks, GREAT BALANCE. All of them are useful, none are gamebreaking or worth camping for. They will assist you or your team to be successful, not take over, let you take a nap, and still win like MW2.
- Its nice to be primarily killed by guns again instead of getting tubed, knifed, and streak killed more than anything.
- The knife is perfect. You can use it to kill someone stealth, but FINALLY, if you bring a knife to a gun fight, you will lose.

Again, the game is not without its faults, its limited, not terribly good looking, etc., but it feel right none-the-same. Very fun!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Stoney Mason said:
Tried it. Single player is average for me. Took about 3 to 4 hours to beat. It's okay. Better than I expected actually but still the scripting was sub-par compared to a COD game. The tone is okay which is where most of the enjoyment comes from.

The multiplayer is average for me also. They actually take out a few of the interesting mechanics like the slide and lean features which is weird.

Not saying others can't like it but there is nothing here for me personally. It's an average title.
Different teams, different engines. Could you go into detail on why you get the 'average' result? Not disagreeing, just curious as to the thought process.

doomed1 said:
Different teams, different engines. Could you go into detail on why you get the 'average' result? Not disagreeing, just curious as to the thought process.

Well I'll preface this by saying people like what they like. So if MOH rocks somebody's world then good for them. All that matters is what an individual likes. Everybody has their opinion.

But the main problem is simply that on both sides of the product there is nothing new here. And the execution level isn't high enough for me to say well even though this isn't new or especially interesting its executed so superbly that I still want to play it.

The single player is like a COD game wrapped up in a more authentic wrapper but I feel that actually hampers the game. Its "authentic" enough unfortunately that the game feels very samey from mission to mission which isn't a good thing. The scripting is broken or confusing in many areas. And at its best, I've still done all these missions before in better COD sp games. So it's not like some old Ghost Recon hyper sim and its not like a movie set piece Bruckheimer-esque game like COD. It's like a bad mix of the two.

And I feel the same way about the MP. It's between COD and BC 2 but I don't really think that's a great place to be. I don't like the gun play and feeling of Bad Company. What I like is the scope and the vehicles and the gameplay modes of Bad Company. And I like the controls and tightness of COD. So once again it lands in a no-man's land for me. It also bugs me that they took out so many elements that could have worked. They remove prone. They remove the slide thing and lean from single player. They remove destruction from the Frostbite engine. They are in a niche where I think they took most of the bad and very little of the good. But as I said when I began. If someone likes this a lot. Then more power to them. I just find it to be average (not poor) on both sides.

So I decided to give it a rental today, and just finished the campaign on Hard, actually not bad at all. Around 4-5 hours and some of the missions were pretty sweet to play. Overall it started off slow, but the back half was great. Also the message at the end was a nice thing to do.

Adam J.

I also rented it and just beat the SP.

I thought the game was pretty damn impressive, overall, until they hit you with the horribly written "we're exploiting soldiers, but let's pretend that we really care" tribute and the Linkin Park song.

aristotle

Adam J. said:
I also rented it and just beat the SP.

I thought the game was pretty damn impressive, overall, until they hit you with the horribly written "we're exploiting soldiers, but let's pretend that we really care" tribute and the Linkin Park song.

Exploiting how? MoH is known for being as realistic in a game as possible while still making it fun. Not to mention they use yanno...actual "Tier 1" people to help design the game and base some of it on actual events. If anything, Call of Duty exploits the soldiers.

Cornbread78

I can;t believe I have to wait until Friday to play this again... Man, I'm dying to play again! I had to force myself to deal with 4 1/2 hours of sleep before work today.

cjtiger300 said:
Broken and myself played the MP last night and we had a blast in the objective modes! The PS3 servers are running pretty good right now, although there were some matches with lag. Overall I like this much better than COD. MW2 left a bad taste in my mouth, so it will take a heck of an effort with Black Ops to get me back on there side.

Maybe I'll join you guys. I preordered and canceled this motherfucker like 3 times on Amazon.

Mr. Snrub said:
Stay strong! You know EA/DICE are going to whore out BF3 beta access in another way. I'm hoping for a Steam 4-pack.
It does say "early access" right on the ugly sticker thing, so you know there'll be more ways.

But this guarantees access. I could not resist. And the game that comes with the beta seems ok, so I don't think I'll beat myself up over it too much if EA dumps out thousands of codes later down the line.

There are a lot of maps I like but diwagal camp is shit. It's the second day of release and everyone already runs to their camping spot. You can't go 20 seconds without getting hit by a sniper.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've got to say, after playing a lot more games, the game is awesome.

The problem a lot of people are having and why they aren't enjoying it is because they aren't using smoke. Smoke negates campers and snipers. I seem to be the only person on my team using smoke, and I'm also typically at the front of the pack too.

Silencer doesn't hurt either. :D

Dennis

Banned
Currently playing the SP campaign on Normal and maybe I should have gone with Hard. Not really that challenging so far.

Though I am currently stuck on the Helicoptor part where I have to take out some installation on a mountain but I keep getting blasted out of the sky for some reason

Top Bottom