• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
BattleMonkey said:
Well that sucks, and have little interest in BO, so I guess it's back to BC2 and Vietnam when it comes out for now.
24 players isn't bad though, especially for the map sizes. In fact, I'd HATE to see what a 32+ player game would be like on some of these maps. The combat is tight and directed. Just because there's only 24 players per game doesn't mean that you will lack for people to kill.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
doomed1 said:
24 players isn't bad though, especially for the map sizes. In fact, I'd HATE to see what a 32+ player game would be like on some of these maps. The combat is tight and directed. Just because there's only 24 players per game doesn't mean that you will lack for people to kill.

Yeah, more than 24 would be insane on some of the maps because of how they are designed and their size. If you have too many people, it'd become a camp fest since there'd be 3 enemies covering every angle.

hellclerk

commish said:
Yeah, more than 24 would be insane on some of the maps because of how they are designed and their size. If you have too many people, it'd become a camp fest since there'd be 3 enemies covering every angle.
Either that or else just a killbox. I've played Headquarters on Shipment with 10 people. That's just unending dakka everywhere. I can't imagine how bad it would be on some of these levels...

On another note, I'm kind of surprised how few people use the LMGs. I think they might need a bit of a power buff, but otherwise, they're great, especially if you get the jump on a bunch of peeps. Spray and pray.

Why use LMG's when you can just snipe people in their spawns.

Tried to play the free DLC today, shit wasn't even playable. Took 10 minutes for a game to start up only for it to be 6 on 2 and then the game ends right after it starts and you start the waiting process all over again. DICE :lol

They must have really wanted this game out before November 9th.

commish

I haven't use a LMG ever. I'm not against them or anything, and in Mag, they were dominant, but I just like how the M16/AK feel.

hellclerk

Bumblebeetuna said:
Why use LMG's when you can just snipe people in their spawns.

Tried to play the free DLC today, shit wasn't even playable. Took 10 minutes for a game to start up only for it to be 6 on 2 and then the game ends right after it starts and you start the waiting process all over again. DICE :lol

They must have really wanted this game out before November 9th.
Kinda hard when a bodyshot would take more than one shot at range. That's not to say I haven't spawn killed before, but that's only because the guy spawned RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Kinda felt bad for him, but hey, I was on a hotstreak.

I was using the LMGs a bit. They feel like they lack power compared to the ARs is all. The point of having the LMG though is to trade the GL for a larger mag and more bullets. Kinda a gyp if you ask me. Oh well, once I get the HP ammo I'll give it a go. I've seen more people using them since.

I think they're also going to have to release that Hot Zone DLC for free if they want anyone using it. Any paid DLC for this game is going to tend to fail HARD.

Cornbread78

I still can't figure out why there has been no patches or fixes for this game... U think they would fix the matchmaking and squad system, so I can actually stay in games with my buddies, but still nothing. DICE wants this game to be played alone and not in groups.... WTF.

Cornbread78 said:
I still can't figure out why there has been no patches or fixes for this game... U think they would fix the matchmaking and squad system, so I can actually stay in games with my buddies, but still nothing. DICE wants this game to be played alone and not in groups.... WTF.
Dice seem to make too many games in a short time, they have most likely just moved on to battlefield 3 now.

I think EA need to just allow them to sit and work on a game for longer then 6 months or whatever before moving on, one great game > 3 rough edged shooters.

hellclerk

Cornbread78 said:
Actually, they just came out with a patch. It nerfs bolt action snipers and ups recoil for everything. The matchmaking and squad systems I'm not as sure about, though I'm not to sure EA is too keen on working too hard to keep this relatively small community happy.

Cornbread78

doomed1 said:
Actually, they just came out with a patch. It nerfs bolt action snipers and ups recoil for everything. The matchmaking and squad systems I'm not as sure about, though I'm not to sure EA is too keen on working too hard to keep this relatively small community happy.

It's should be a pretty easy fix. Stop spliting up parties/squads and allow them to communicate! I go into a game with 3 other people, 2 end up on the opposite team, and the other guy I'm left with isn't even in my squad, so we cannot chat....

hellclerk

Cornbread78 said:
It's should be a pretty easy fix. Stop spliting up parties/squads and allow them to communicate! I go into a game with 3 other people, 2 end up on the opposite team, and the other guy I'm left with isn't even in my squad, so we cannot chat....
Yeah, DICE is really awful with this stuff. I'm guessing that alot of BC2 netcode went into this. They'll need a more significant update to open up the party and chat systems. I REALLY wish that the chat wasn't absolutely non-existent on PC though...

Cornbread78

doomed1 said:
Yeah, DICE is really awful with this stuff. I'm guessing that alot of BC2 netcode went into this. They'll need a more significant update to open up the party and chat systems. I REALLY wish that the chat wasn't absolutely non-existent on PC though...

Dammit I want to petition DICE to make the simple update.... C'Mon guys..

Did anyone play through the new "free" game mode yet? What are your impressions?

Neuromancer said:
Hmm kind of tempting

I would jump on it if I hadn't rented it already and I'm gonna be renting black-ops next week, plus I am also waiting to see if there will be any better deals on black friday. Maybe some B2G1 or something like that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What a turd this title is.

Single player was as generic as it came, except I had two stages bug me and had to restart. Wonderful scripted events

Followed by a crappy COD knock off for online, weapon with a horrible unlock system. What in hell would compel a developer to lock bloody scopes for snipers.

hellclerk

shintoki said:

Single player was as generic as it came, except I had two stages bug me and had to restart. Wonderful scripted events

Followed by a crappy COD knock off for online, weapon with a horrible unlock system. What in hell would compel a developer to lock bloody scopes for snipers.
I felt the narrative of the single player worked very well. It was less ACTION HOLLYWOOD and more down to earth indie military flick.

Online too. I actually prefer it to the CoD system. But then again, I preferred BC2 to CoD.

Oh, and the scopes are locked to prevent stupid amounts of sniping in the early game. I use a BR with the Dr. Pepper DLC RDS when I go "Sniper". I much prefer it to sitting in a corner waiting for someone to come around. Earn your scopes dude.

Seriously, if you were looking for CoD, you shoulda just waited out the weekend for Black Ops...

Cornbread78

shintoki said:

I actually really liked the feeling of the SP. Although very short, towards the end you can feel the intensity of some of the battles and the sense of almost hoplessness with the mucsic and tempo of the game and the characters at moments.

hellclerk

Well, now that Black Ops comes out, I guess this thread dies. :/c

Nah, Was playing some tonight after (of all things) Black Ops on my Wii, and the thing STILL lags for me. It's not the graphics settings. I could put this down to 800x600 and it would still give me this terrible framerate (trust me, I've tried. Not pretty.) The gameplay's much more satisfying than BlackOps, with shotguns that actually kill, but I get the sneaking suspicion that it's my connection. I'm really annoyed that I can't see my ping in game, so I don't know whether to give it up the server to a lost cause. I didn't get these problems with BC2 and so much more going on... well, maybe after the patch, but everyone had those issues. DICE really has to get some bug fixes out there...

commish

I know I am very, very much in the minority, but I definitely prefer the gameplay of MOH to Black Ops. MOH just feels better. I know MOH has way too few maps, and way too few players, a shitty clan/party system, and too few game modes, but I prefer it at this point. I probably just need more time with Blops...

hellclerk

Heheheh... Was playing between my morning and afternoon class today. Defending during Combat Mission on the airfield. I saw that there were a bunch of guys bunching up around the first objective (we were holding them pretty well), and so I threw a smoke grenade into the little bend with the objective.

Something like 5 or 6 guys musta piled in there once they saw the smoke "cover" because it was wholesale slaughter. I killed two or three before I pulled out the GL and just cleared out the hole. I was laughing so hard :lol

Between this and Black Ops that I got on the Wii yesterday, I'd MUCH rather take this, and it's got nothing to do with the graphics. It's fast, satisfying, and it doesn't take a whole mag to kill people. I do hope that some of the disappointment that was generated by Black Ops sends them our way. I really enjoy Black Ops too, but the gameplay feels much more substantial with MoH.

I still prefer MoH's gameplay and style to CoD's after throwing a ton of hours into Black Ops. Just wish the content was there to back it up; maps, game modes, customizing, etc, as I refuse to pay $10 for multiplayer modes that should have been in there from the get go. =/

I almost want to think EA threw this out there as a test of CoD players and will really improve upon the franchise later on down the road.

kuYuri

Games online multiplayer didn't hold up for me, not to mention all the little things it was missing like no voice chat in party lobby. It didn't help that no one on my friends list was playing it. Sold it back to Amazon.

EA, please give the devs more time to work on the game next time.

Hope the sequel will be a better game.

hellclerk

Been playing quite a bit over the last few days and I gotta say, I'm having ALOT of fun. Shotguns are especially satisfying when you hit a groove with them, and everything else has really good weight to it. My main complaints remain, I mean, it could use more guns and maps, and I'd like to at least see the direction from where the shot that killed me was from, but other than that, it's a fantastic game with a fantastic speed.

I ended up getting forced into a bit of clean sweep by server rotation. It's not as campfest as I thought it would be, but it's still a gametype I detest. I'm more of a pointman, I press the front and die so other people don't have to. since they see where the gunfire came from and take it down, so this gametype is especially opposed to my playstyle since I play risky and if you do that in Clean Sweep, you get killed and have to wait. Which is all well and good if it's trying to discourage outright run&gun, but it still encourages camping...

mr_nothin

Banned
doomed1 said:
Been playing quite a bit over the last few days and I gotta say, I'm having ALOT of fun. Shotguns are especially satisfying when you hit a groove with them, and everything else has really good weight to it. My main complaints remain, I mean, it could use more guns and maps, and I'd like to at least see the direction from where the shot that killed me was from, but other than that, it's a fantastic game with a fantastic speed.

I ended up getting forced into a bit of clean sweep by server rotation. It's not as campfest as I thought it would be, but it's still a gametype I detest. I'm more of a pointman, I press the front and die so other people don't have to. since they see where the gunfire came from and take it down, so this gametype is especially opposed to my playstyle since I play risky and if you do that in Clean Sweep, you get killed and have to wait. Which is all well and good if it's trying to discourage outright run&gun, but it still encourages camping...
Silencers are your friend!

hellclerk

mr_nothin said:
Silencers are your friend!
Oh no, I use them all the time, I just play a pointman. I more or less tend to be the first one forward whenever possible. If not, I'm attempting to flank or do some other risky maneuver, like running across and open area mumbling to myself "don't die, don't die, don't die..."

That's why Clean Sweep isn't my kind of gametype :lol

JB1981

i rented this game this weekend. i just started the sp campaign and i feel like this is a pretty damn good so far! like much better than COD. The presentation, the sound design, the feel of the guns, the chatter between soldiers, the topical setting ... shit feels authentic and the gunplay blows COD out of the water. I'm impressed by the art direction and the lighting as well, gun models look awesome. Sure its linear and scripted but the experience is tight as hell so far. I played a bit of multiplayer and I feel like the next iteration of this series will be a major contendor for the military fps crown. there is so much good here

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
i rented this game this weekend. i just started the sp campaign and i feel like this is a pretty damn good so far! like much better than COD. The presentation, the sound design, the feel of the guns, the chatter between soldiers, the topical setting ... shit feels authentic and the gunplay blows COD out of the water. I'm impressed by the art direction and the lighting as well, gun models look awesome. Sure its linear and scripted but the experience is tight as hell so far. I played a bit of multiplayer and I feel like the next iteration of this series will be a major contendor for the military fps crown. there is so much good here
I think it shits on black ops. I like the slower pace and more realistic feel. It feels like a cohesive two day campaign or something, not a janky mess of set pieces put together with someone screaming fuck yeah in the background.

dorkimoe said:
is this worth picking up during the black friday sales for 35?

Yes! Only if you're looking to jump into the MP too, the campaign is worth a rental only- but that's the case with any military shooter. I mean to clearify it's much more deep and "realistic" but it has the typical non memorable characters, hell you play as four and I couldn't tell which one I was at any given point.

antonz

I found SP for this game to be pretty much the best in years for shooters. I like the grounded in reality feel. The Ranger mission is without a doubt one of the best missions in an fps with the ambush.

I look forward to the follow up and where they go with it more than I do the next COD for sure.

Y2Kev said:
I think it shits on black ops. I like the slower pace and more realistic feel.
I concur. It's got issues, but it's a lot more cohesive and believable than MW's SPs. I can actually buy this shit happening. Unlike the giant, bloated, cardboard cutout shooting gallery, spastic clusterfuck campaigns we've had in the last few CoDs. I actually liked the BO SP much better than the one in MW2, but it's still a complete clusterfuck.

dorkimoe

Square Triangle said:
Yes! Only if you're looking to jump into the MP too, the campaign is worth a rental only- but that's the case with any military shooter. I mean to clearify it's much more deep and "realistic" but it has the typical non memorable characters, hell you play as four and I couldn't tell which one I was at any given point.

yeah it would be for multiplayer. I only played 1 game during the beta, did really well, ended up top on my team.

Maybe ill head out on black friday. I definitely like the feel of a slower multi-player than mw2, which i agree with the above statement that its just a clusterfuck. Kind of scared to here they havent even released a patch yet though

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Y2Kev said:
I think it shits on black ops. I like the slower pace and more realistic feel. It feels like a cohesive two day campaign or something, not a janky mess of set pieces put together with someone screaming fuck yeah in the background.
Meh, they both were fucking terrible in the scripting department. Man, I was disappointed to see such shoddy scripting in MOH and then even more appalled in BO, especially since IW has spoiled me so (they actually have that shit mastered).

I was disappointed by both in general actually. Both were graphically inconsistent, having some fantastic looking levels sprinkled through out and then a lot of mediocrity filling in the rest. Both failed on the finale as well.

Gritesh

Just have to say after playing BO single player campaign, all the shit this game got for it's scripted events and bad AI.....BO worse in my opinion.

I enjoyed the hell out of MOH single player, BO makes me want to hang myself over and over again with shit level design, and infinite enemy respawns until you move to a designated point.

pelican

commish said:
I know I am very, very much in the minority, but I definitely prefer the gameplay of MOH to Black Ops. MOH just feels better. I know MOH has way too few maps, and way too few players, a shitty clan/party system, and too few game modes, but I prefer it at this point. I probably just need more time with Blops...

nah....I am with you.

BO bores me to tears. While MOH has many faults and isn't the best thing since sliced bread I actually enjoyed the MP more. Despite this not being the best game from DICE I prefer the "feel" of their games over the COD franchise.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
just finished SP portion of this game and I gotta say this was best military shooter I ve played since first call of duty

hellclerk

Strider2K99 said:
I have two (2) Dr Pepper codss. Anybody want them for MoH items? PM me and I'll get them to you.

EDIT: Gone.
Well, I now have all the Dr. Pepper content. Kind of frustrating that it's all ON DISK and should be there without having to drink Dr. Pepper. Same with the RPK and the M240 >:|

All I REALLY want though is that fastscope sight they gave for the M21 for all the other guns too. That sight is HEAVENLY. Clear dot and good peripheral vision, it would be like the perfect shotgun sight...

hellclerk

SonOfABeep said:
Worth $25 on black friday?

with reward zone coupons that is
Totally. The only thing keeping me from playing more multi are network issues causing a bunch of lag. Now that we have a new router, I should be in the clear.

So is Combat Mission just a terrible mode or what?

Was grinding for my 2 hours today. Wound up in a 5 on 1 match, where I was the 1 (probably because of COD:BO, no one is playing). No cavalry arrived, and no team balancing took place. I was alone against 5 other dudes. I managed to get 30 kills, but of course they formed up and spawn camped me for 30 minutes.

I had more fun on Objective Raid. Hoping Team Assault and Sector Control are more endurable.

JB1981

I rented this game at the same time as blops so I didn't get a chance to finish single player or spend much time in MP but I was fairly impressed with wha I did play. It is a nice change of pace from blops and I felt that the mp improved greatly from the beta. The framerate on ps3 needed some work though. How is the online community on 360? Are there a lot of cheesers?

acevans2

Question: I have this game loaned to a friend. Is the "Hot Zone" map pack free for people who have activated the online pass? Or does this $9.99 map pack cost for everyone?

hellclerk

acevans2 said:
Question: I have this game loaned to a friend. Is the "Hot Zone" map pack free for people who have activated the online pass? Or does this $9.99 map pack cost for everyone?
No, Hot Zone is pay for DLC. I still haven't bought it yet either since I think it comes with an auto-leveling pack on the PC and I like to earn my levels.

adversesolutions said:
So is Combat Mission just a terrible mode or what?

Was grinding for my 2 hours today. Wound up in a 5 on 1 match, where I was the 1 (probably because of COD:BO, no one is playing). No cavalry arrived, and no team balancing took place. I was alone against 5 other dudes. I managed to get 30 kills, but of course they formed up and spawn camped me for 30 minutes.

I had more fun on Objective Raid. Hoping Team Assault and Sector Control are more endurable.
That just sounds like a shitty situation. I would have backed out of that game asap. I have a LOT of fun with Combat Mission. Flanking, taking position, laying down cover, it's all fun for me.

Was playing a bit last night and I had a fantastic time playing a point man, rushing in, laying down smokes and grenades to cover approaches, it's just fun, and nothing is more satisfying than dropping a peep with a shotgun as you turn the corner. :D

Get into some larger games, ones that better resemble 12v12, and we can talk. Until then, sorry dude, just sounds like you had a shitty situation that you refused to back out of...

commish

Uh... I went online again, after a week or so of Blops, and there were 200 people in sector control total... unfortunate.

Top Bottom